What weird rules did your parents have?

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:49:40 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 3:46:07 AM, YYW wrote:
I'll share a few after this thread takes off...

Mother: When I was in my late teens onward, don't leave the house without putting on lipstick.
Carolean_Karl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 5:47:10 PM

I wasn't allowed to bring any food back home from anywhere when I was a kid, I never understood why and even today my parents can't remember the reason.

When I was old enough to start mowing the lawn, my mother would always make me wear a bandanna over my nose and mouth. I think she wanted to prevent me from inhaling the exhaust from the lawn mower, but it only succeeded in making that chore even more miserable.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 5:51:47 PM
Ummm... my dad didn't let me say the word 'poop' (in Cantonese) for a while. I kept saying 'history' to annoy him (because the second syllable is the same as the one-syllable word 'poop' si2). Fun times :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 8:40:19 PM

My mom used to be against using the word "poop", and would make us use substitute words...which I'd rather not share XD

They also used to be against words like stupid and dumb and crap, which of course doesn't take any effect as of now (I can't count the number of times I say crap a day)

And to this day, my mom is still against using words like fart, freaking, screw, etc.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 8:41:57 PM
At 5/24/2016 8:40:19 PM, Vaarka wrote:

My mom used to be against using the word "poop", and would make us use substitute words...which I'd rather not share XD

They also used to be against words like stupid and dumb and crap, which of course doesn't take any effect as of now (I can't count the number of times I say crap a day)

And to this day, my mom is still against using words like fart, freaking, screw, etc.

My parents also refused to let me use the monkey bars on our playset back in Maryland because when I was 2, I jumped off the top of a slider at about the same height and broke my wrist.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:01:19 PM
At 5/24/2016 5:51:47 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Ummm... my dad didn't let me say the word 'poop' (in Cantonese) for a while. I kept saying 'history' to annoy him (because the second syllable is the same as the one-syllable word 'poop' si2). Fun times :P

Is it "lashei", by any chance?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 10:58:12 PM
At 5/24/2016 10:49:36 PM, itzqueenjailyn03 wrote:
I had to vacuum the stairs...
am I the only one???

no

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 11:01:12 PM
At 5/24/2016 10:58:12 PM, Vaarka wrote:
am I the only one???

no

My parents have gotten mad at me because I skipped the stairs XD
Though I'd be surprised if at least half of the site didn't do this at some point

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 2:25:04 AM

Mum used to consider "heck" to be a swear
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 3:23:59 AM
am I the only one???

Nope, you're not the only one.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 3:32:06 AM
am I the only one???
Hahaha I didn't have stairs!!! Sucks for you.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Foxian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:03:22 PM
Not really sure if this would be weird, but:
I'm not allowed to miss any school at all, my parents booked a flight back to China on June 10th (the last day of school of the school I'm attending in the United States) to make sure I would arrive back to China on the weekend and be able to attend school on the following Monday. My parents also told my host family that I only could miss school if I was in the hospital dying.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:35:35 PM
At 5/24/2016 9:01:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 5/24/2016 5:51:47 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Is it "lashei", by any chance?

If you mean 'la shi', no, that's Mandarin, lol.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 2:55:15 PM
At 5/25/2016 1:03:22 PM, Foxian wrote:
Not really sure if this would be weird, but:
I'm not allowed to miss any school at all, my parents booked a flight back to China on June 10th (the last day of school of the school I'm attending in the United States) to make sure I would arrive back to China on the weekend and be able to attend school on the following Monday. My parents also told my host family that I only could miss school if I was in the hospital dying.

Meh, that's not weird. Westerners are the weird ones... yesterday, my mum showed me a news article where a family took their daughter to Disneyland and sued the school because they made her pay a fine.

Don't be a stat cynic:

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 9:26:52 PM

Don't take a shower when somebody is out the house

Yea I know....
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k