Jump to topic:

How to stop nightmares?

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:08:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Does anyone know any one know of any psychological cures for repetitive nightmares that don't require paying for expensive therapy sessions?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:24:55 PM
At 6/2/2016 3:08:47 PM, TUF wrote:
Does anyone know any one know of any psychological cures for repetitive nightmares that don't require paying for expensive therapy sessions?

Whats your nightmares about ?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:28:06 PM

I would say stay awake . No but seriously man I use to be like this to . To this day I never had 1 tablet.
Are you always getting stated or chased ? Around 3 part dreams. And you feel like a absolute pus$y , cause you are always trying to get away, with the good old slow MO run , why can't I run faster.

Sleeping with the TV on helps .
My best way to stop my 3 day getting attacked , go to bed and keep thinking about them. And try real hard to get back into the dream. I even go as far as to get angry for not being able to get back into the dream. But how fun is it when you realize it was just a dream.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:44:38 PM
At 6/2/2016 3:24:55 PM, illegalcombat wrote:

Usually I'm trying to reach out to adam, but he's just giving me disgusting looks or telling me to go to hell. I am trying to stop him from grabbing the gun but I'm not fast enough or I am driving there buts it's always too late. It's some really fucked up sh1t, but usually drinking wine before bed helps. I'd like to find a healthier way though
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 3:48:56 PM
At 6/2/2016 3:44:38 PM, TUF wrote:

Usually I'm trying to reach out to adam, but he's just giving me disgusting looks or telling me to go to hell. I am trying to stop him from grabbing the gun but I'm not fast enough or I am driving there buts it's always too late. It's some really fucked up sh1t, but usually drinking wine before bed helps. I'd like to find a healthier way though

Who's adam ?
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:19:25 PM

There are only two ways that I can stop my recurring nightmares:
a. Be totally exhausted
b. Read

Reading seriously helps take your mind off your worries, and it carries through your sleep, especially fiction. So if anything, try reading 30 min before you go to bed each night, it might help
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:47:56 PM
At 6/2/2016 3:48:56 PM, illegalcombat wrote:

Who's adam ?

Adam is his friend who committed suicide.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 4:53:12 PM

I still think you need to reach out, and seek help, and talk to someone about this.

In one of my Physiology classes, we talked about nightmares. I remember a few things that the book mentioned to help stop nightmares. I am not sure if they are effective, because I have never had to use these techniques.

1) They say not to eat right before bed, because certain foods take longer to digest, like meat, and cheeses, which can increase nightmares.

2) Cut down on the intake of alcohol.

3) Reduce exposure to violent images in the media, especially in the evenings. Horror movies can cause lingering nightmares for years.

I know there are some other techniques, that involve spiritual stuff, as well as meditation, and other things. Let me know if you want to know more about those.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 5:07:10 PM

Some Freudian dream interpretation to get to the bottom of what the nightmares are about so you can confront the problem head on and deal with it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 5:11:35 PM

Oh just found out who Adam is. This one is easy, work out your feelings about being responsible for his death. Stop repressing those feelings, bring them to the surface, cry it out, and then use the logical part of your brain to come to the truth about your level of responsibility, and if your thoughts are illogical you can drop them given you aren't repressing them, if they are logical do something about it such as changing your future behavior.

Source: Freud 101
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 5:31:33 PM
Stop sleeping.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 6:39:31 PM
At 6/2/2016 4:19:25 PM, Sam7411 wrote:

There are only two ways that I can stop my recurring nightmares:
a. Be totally exhausted
b. Read

Reading seriously helps take your mind off your worries, and it carries through your sleep, especially fiction. So if anything, try reading 30 min before you go to bed each night, it might help

Maybe I'll finally finish a dance with dragons
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 6:40:16 PM
At 6/2/2016 5:31:33 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Stop sleeping.

+1

I'll get plenty of sleep when I'm dead
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 6:40:41 PM
At 6/2/2016 4:53:12 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I still think you need to reach out, and seek help, and talk to someone about this.

In one of my Physiology classes, we talked about nightmares. I remember a few things that the book mentioned to help stop nightmares. I am not sure if they are effective, because I have never had to use these techniques.

1) They say not to eat right before bed, because certain foods take longer to digest, like meat, and cheeses, which can increase nightmares.

2) Cut down on the intake of alcohol.

3) Reduce exposure to violent images in the media, especially in the evenings. Horror movies can cause lingering nightmares for years.

I know there are some other techniques, that involve spiritual stuff, as well as meditation, and other things. Let me know if you want to know more about those.

Thanks for the tips miss :)
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 8:28:38 PM

There are meds you can take for nightmares like prazosin.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 8:39:41 PM

You could try self-inducing a lucid dream to gain control of the situation.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 10:23:43 PM
Stop sleeping.

Stop trying to peddle your meth.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 12:12:42 PM
At 6/2/2016 10:23:43 PM, n7 wrote:
Stop sleeping.

Stop trying to peddle your meth.

I got to make a living, too. Don't judge.
:
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 4:38:28 PM
At 6/2/2016 8:28:38 PM, janesix wrote:

There are meds you can take for nightmares like prazosin.

I don't think meds would be a good idea....you may become addicted to them, and become dependent on them.. :/

Syko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 4:48:44 PM

So if you were to talk to a psychologist anyway, you wouldn't get therapy. The current model of dreaming atm is the activation-synthesis theory, which is neurobiological. Therapy is inherently behaviour oriented in it's treatment scope.

If you want to know what you can do to help stop nightmares however, I'm aware of some things that are known to help, however, you'll probs think it really strange if you've never heard of it before.

So you simply tell yourself that you'll have good/no dreams before you go to sleep. Yep. It's effective in most people who show high aptitude for hypnotic susceptibility, which is the majority of adults. If you're not sure how hypnotically susceptible you are, simply examine how rich and vivid you can create daydreams/fantasies. If you are better than this compared to your friends, then you have good susceptibility and it should work out fine. The theory behind this is something called feedback. James Watson discovered that adopting a certain expression or natural reaction to an emotion will actually stimulate that emotion itself. Applied to this situation, thinking of a state of mind will encourage that state of mind. Research has also found that thinking of expecting to have a lucid dream increases the likelihood of a person experiencing a lucid dream. So thinking of the fact that you can not create and recall dreams is a fine way to mitigate it. Imo currently your focus on the existence of nightmares is what is strengthening those nightmares the most.

As a secondary measure to complement the first, I'd say take a leaf from psychoanalysis. Contrary to it's controversy, the reason they still teach it to us is because research has supported some of the Freudian theories. Dreams are fulfillments of wishes and nightmares conversely are the enactments of guilt or regret etc. I don't know what your personal circumstances are and I won't ask, but let's assume you were involved in something really stressful. If that's true, the best thing you could do is grieve. I take it you're male, and guys have trouble doing this which is why they are over-represented in depression and suicide statistics. Take your grief out on something. The easiest way to do it is to cry. Yeah kinda cry long and hard maybe with something you trust a lot. That has a very strong link to guilt release. You'll feel better afterwards.

If you're not going through anything stressful though, and the nightmares are just something random and recent, then I'd say ignore the second option. However I had a similar experience to you after losing someone close, and the problem resolved itself by crying really really hard like a weak pathetic girl. Go try it tough guy ;)
For Mother Russia.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 8:54:33 PM

My condolences again on the loss of your friend. You have to come to some point where you realize that you could not have stopped him. He was an adult, made these decisions and you did not push him to it.

Any of my other suggestions would involve religion...
ballpit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 9:30:35 PM

Don't eat before bed, Attempt to reduce stress, Improve your sleeping habits. Just a few tips.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
New Members Read Me:
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 2:04:26 AM
I noticed my dreams tend to be about things I thought about briefly throughout the day, but didn't think about enough to come to any meaningful conclusions about. I noticed that seems to be the case for nightmares too. if I intentionally tried to not think of the scary thing before bed, I dreamt about it. If I took the time to think about it a lot before bed, I didn't dream about it.

My guess is dreams are, to some extent, for the purpose of having your brain process through information you didn't take the time to process through when you were awake.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 2:08:20 AM
I don't know if this works for recurring nightmares about traumatic events, though.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 11:03:46 AM
At 6/4/2016 9:26:27 AM, Axonly wrote:
Stop sleeping.

Well, you're not wrong.

I never am.
:
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 1:03:04 PM

Hey TUF, have you tried listening to binural music as you sleep? It helps you sleep and have very lucid dream, plus you feel great the next day.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 7:30:40 PM
Reading, definitely.

I started reading HP fanfiction that helped me a lot, and now I've moved onto GOT which I'm totally into now- so I think finding a genre you can immerse yourself in would help a lot. Helped me in any case, and I had almost a chronic thing.