Jump to topic:

Experience in the United States

Foxian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 3:54:37 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Few people will care and fewer people will remember.
Since August I've been staying in the United States as an exchange student and today, June 10th, was the last day of school and the day I take a plane back to China.

I've learned a lot, things I went into the United States believing turned out to be false and things I went in to the United States thinking were false turned out to be true.

I've been able to gain a better understanding of the education system in the United States, for example, it's much clearer to me why Americans are generally worse at math than Chinese.

I like to think that my English has significantly improved, funnily enough, English classes in China are harder than my English class in the United States.

There's been a lot of other things and the amount I've mentioned in this thread has been pretty superficial. although I'll go more in depth or talk about other things if asked.

I've come to really like the United States during my stay (although I already saw the United States in a positive light prior to my time as an exchange student), but I honestly can't wait to return to China, I've missed it so much (I'm not looking forward to sharing a dorm room with seven other people in a room smaller than the one I had all to myself in the United States though)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 4:30:32 AM
Does this also conclude your DDO experience, or will you continue to be a member of this Site?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Foxian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 5:06:54 AM
At 6/11/2016 4:30:32 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Does this also conclude your DDO experience, or will you continue to be a member of this Site?
I will continue being a member on this site, I'll just be less active until school breaks
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 1:19:41 PM
At 6/11/2016 3:54:37 AM, Foxian wrote:
Since August I've been staying in the United States as an exchange student and today, June 10th, was the last day of school and the day I take a plane back to China.

I've learned a lot, things I went into the United States believing turned out to be false and things I went in to the United States thinking were false turned out to be true.

I've been able to gain a better understanding of the education system in the United States, for example, it's much clearer to me why Americans are generally worse at math than Chinese.

I like to think that my English has significantly improved, funnily enough, English classes in China are harder than my English class in the United States.

There's been a lot of other things and the amount I've mentioned in this thread has been pretty superficial. although I'll go more in depth or talk about other things if asked.

I've come to really like the United States during my stay (although I already saw the United States in a positive light prior to my time as an exchange student), but I honestly can't wait to return to China, I've missed it so much (I'm not looking forward to sharing a dorm room with seven other people in a room smaller than the one I had all to myself in the United States though)

Glad you got to enjoy the most free country of the world.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 7:45:11 PM
At 6/11/2016 3:54:37 AM, Foxian wrote:

American schools are both better performing than foreign schools are generate more Nobel Prize Winners than foreign schools, especially China.

What degree level were you on (BA, Masters, PhD), and which school were you studying at? That could make a difference.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 11:03:34 PM
I had an exchange student from Japan and her sentiments were identical to yours with regard to education in America. America is more free in some ways. But horribly oppressive far beyond other countries in more ways that affect quality of life and the ability to earn a living. OVER REGULATION OF EVERYTHING
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 12:25:01 AM
The American education system is far less rigid than its counterpart in most countries. The end result is poorer grades and lesser overall learning than their counterparts. It's an unfortunate cultural flaw, and throwing money at this problem will do little to help. That being said, there is a single up-side to this. Of what I've heard, Americans in general are much more creative thinkers than, say, the Chinese.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 12:26:12 AM
That is, the Chinese are taught to learn but not think, if you don't mind me saying so.

The DDO Blog:

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 3:57:34 AM
At 6/12/2016 12:26:12 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
That is, the Chinese are taught to learn but not think, if you don't mind me saying so.

Also the fact that we have over 350 novel prizes and the Chinese have just over a dozen.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.