Jump to topic:

Are you secretly a racist?

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 11:01:02 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'm sure you've asked this to yourself and/or others before. The Implicit Association Test: Black and White Race was a study to test whether you have an "automatic preference" for European Americans compared to African Americans http://www.understandingprejudice.org.... The test should take no longer than 15 minutes. Your goal is to answer as quickly and accurately as possible. If your test results showed a preference for a certain group, you may have a hidden, or unconscious, bias in favor of that group. Feel free to take the test and post your results. Mine was "your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

The results of more than one million tests suggest that most people have unconscious biases. For example, nearly two out of three white Americans show a moderate or strong bias toward, or preference for, whites, as do nearly half of all black Americans. Implicit associations are often at odds with our conscious attitudes and beliefs. This does not mean that one is more accurate than the other. Rather, it suggests that we can have two unique evaluations of the same concept -- one conscious and the other unconscious.

For those of you who are lazy, here are the population test results:
Test Result% of Test Takers
Strong automatic preference for White people 48%
Moderate automatic preference for White people 13%
Slight automatic preference for White people 12%
Little or no automatic preference 12%
Slight automatic preference for Black people 6%
Moderate automatic preference for Black people 4%
Strong automatic preference for Black people 6%

So, as per usual, here are some questions to contemplate: do you agree with your test results? Do you think you have a conscious preference for members of your race? Unconscious? Are you surprised at your test results? What do you think about the overall result for the percentages of test takers? What is your assessment on the accuracy of this test? Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:13:15 AM
I got slight preference for African American the first time.

Then I took it again and got slight preference for whites

Then I took it again and got slight preference for African American.

Then I took it again and got no preference.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:31:45 AM
At 6/26/2016 11:08:57 PM, YYW wrote:
This test is stupid, and the post first in this thread is stupid.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:35:28 AM
At 6/26/2016 11:01:02 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
I'm sure you've asked this to yourself and/or others before. The Implicit Association Test: Black and White Race was a study to test whether you have an "automatic preference" for European Americans compared to African Americans http://www.understandingprejudice.org.... The test should take no longer than 15 minutes. Your goal is to answer as quickly and accurately as possible. If your test results showed a preference for a certain group, you may have a hidden, or unconscious, bias in favor of that group. Feel free to take the test and post your results. Mine was "your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

The results of more than one million tests suggest that most people have unconscious biases. For example, nearly two out of three white Americans show a moderate or strong bias toward, or preference for, whites, as do nearly half of all black Americans. Implicit associations are often at odds with our conscious attitudes and beliefs. This does not mean that one is more accurate than the other. Rather, it suggests that we can have two unique evaluations of the same concept -- one conscious and the other unconscious.

So, as per usual, here are some questions to contemplate: do you agree with your test results? Do you think you have a conscious preference for members of your race? Unconscious? Are you surprised at your test results? What do you think about the overall result for the percentages of test takers? What is your assessment on the accuracy of this test? Discuss.
Do you want to stop racism? Then stop talking about it.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:38:31 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:35:28 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

That's not what this thread is about...God you people are so critical.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:39:02 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:38:31 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Could you at least answer the question?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:40:16 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:39:02 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

What question? "Do you want to stop racism?" You answered it yourself.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:43:40 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:40:16 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I assumed that you wanted to stop racism; however, I didn't have your actual input. But now that you say that, if you truly want to stop racism, then why talk about it so much?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:45:22 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:43:40 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

I assumed that you wanted to stop racism; however, I didn't have your actual input. But now that you say that, if you truly want to stop racism, then why talk about it so much?

Where in my post did I once mention stopping racism? Also, what do you mean "so much"? I have made ONE thread about it today and I don't remember the last time I posted in a thread about racism.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:53:35 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:45:22 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Where in my post did I once mention stopping racism? Also, what do you mean "so much"? I have made ONE thread about it today and I don't remember the last time I posted in a thread about racism.
You didn't. I apologize. And yes, this is your only thread on racism recently.

It's just that in the news, I've been hearing a lot of stuff about racism. It's annoying the living heck out of me. I guess I can't tell you what you can or cannot post (after all, you're the moderator, not me), so I'll just leave it at that.

But you did say you want to stop racism, so you shouldn't give anything related to racism airtime, just saying . . .
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:55:49 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:53:35 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

It's just that in the news, I've been hearing a lot of stuff about racism. It's annoying the living heck out of me. I guess I can't tell you what you can or cannot post (after all, you're the moderator, not me), so I'll just leave it at that.

But you did say you want to stop racism, so you shouldn't give anything related to racism airtime, just saying . . .

Where did I say this?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:57:13 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:55:49 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Where did I say this?
Nevermind, this conversation doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:58:59 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:57:13 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Where did I say this?

Point out where I said it so I know I'm not just being delusional.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:01:11 AM
At 6/27/2016 12:58:59 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Where did I say this?

You're not being delusional, but you did imply that you wanted to stop racism. You never actually said those exact words, however.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:02:42 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:01:11 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Where did I say this?

You're not being delusional, but you did imply that you wanted to stop racism. You never actually said those exact words, however.

Where did I imply it? This shouldn't be hard to point out for you since you focused on it. Obviously that meant you found it somewhere.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:23:23 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:02:42 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Where did I say this?

Where did I imply it? This shouldn't be hard to point out for you since you focused on it. Obviously that meant you found it somewhere.
Well, I asked you if you wanted to stop racism, and you told me that I answered it myself. And I was assuming that you wanted to stop racism, so when you told me that, I thought you were saying that you wanted to stop racism.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:25:21 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:23:23 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Well, I asked you if you wanted to stop racism, and you told me that I answered it myself. And I was assuming that you wanted to stop racism, so when you told me that, I thought you were saying that you wanted to stop racism.

No, no. That's not right. You said "Do you want to stop racism? Then stop talking about it". This means you found something in my thread that had me saying I wanted to stop racism, or implied it. It's okay to admit that you made a mistake. Jeez.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:28:53 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:25:21 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

No, no. That's not right. You said "Do you want to stop racism? Then stop talking about it". This means you found something in my thread that had me saying I wanted to stop racism, or implied it. It's okay to admit that you made a mistake. Jeez.
I should've stopped this conversation sooner. It's really starting to become unproductive. I'll just stop here. Have a nice night.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:29:31 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:28:53 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
At 6/27/2016 1:25:21 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I should've stopped this conversation sooner. It's really starting to become unproductive. I'll just stop here. Have a nice night.

Wow, okay.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:40:28 AM

PERMANENT BAN
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 6:34:33 AM
This test is stupid, because there's going to be confusion between the keys if you have to do it as fast as possible.

I got a strong preference for Whites, but I will say I don't have preference for any race. This test is utterly dumb, and the mistakes I made were based on confusion, not on racial bias.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 7:06:59 AM
At 6/27/2016 6:34:33 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
This test is stupid, because there's going to be confusion between the keys if you have to do it as fast as possible.

I got a strong preference for Whites, but I will say I don't have preference for any race. This test is utterly dumb, and the mistakes I made were based on confusion, not on racial bias.

It's an Implicit Association Test. It's not testing whether you consciously believe you have a preference for whites or not. I don't agree with my results either, I feel it should be "strong" and not "moderate".

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 11:48:10 PM

"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American."
I don't have a signature. :-)
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 4:26:57 AM
I'm sure you've asked this to yourself and/or others before. The Implicit Association Test: Black and White Race was a study to test whether you have an "automatic preference" for European Americans compared to African Americans http://www.understandingprejudice.org.... The test should take no longer than 15 minutes. Your goal is to answer as quickly and accurately as possible. If your test results showed a preference for a certain groWup, you may have a hidden, or unconscious, bias in favor of that group. Feel free to take the test and post your results. Mine was "your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American."

How stupid. Preferring your own race over others isnt racism.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 4:58:46 AM

Everyone should note that this post is what got YYW banned
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...