Jump to topic:

Flying tips?

TheWorldIsComplicated
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 4:53:46 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'm going to London in a few days, and this flight will be the longest flight I have ever been on (Over 13 hours), does anyone have any tips? I'll be seating in economy, because who has enough money for first class, though I may try to ask the gate agent if there are any available upgrades. Any tips on what I should wear/do during the plane ride? I have already packed motion sickness medicine to prevent, well, motion sickness and am planning to bring 2 water bottles with me.

Thanks.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 5:00:53 PM
You will not get water bottles past security. All liquids of any volume over 6-8 ounces will be confiscated. I would plan on buying your water after you get past security.

Even if you're in economy, I would try to get an aisle seat or a seat at the start of the row for better legroom. Bring stuff to do or you'll be bored out of your mind...or plan on falling asleep.

Get up and walk up and down the aisles every couple of hours just to keep your blood circulating well. For a flight of that length, they will give you meals and stuff, so that's good.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 5:02:07 PM
At 6/29/2016 5:00:53 PM, bsh1 wrote:
You will not get water bottles past security. All liquids of any volume over 6-8 ounces will be confiscated. I would plan on buying your water after you get past security.

Even if you're in economy, I would try to get an aisle seat or a seat at the start of the row for better legroom. Bring stuff to do or you'll be bored out of your mind...or plan on falling asleep.

Get up and walk up and down the aisles every couple of hours just to keep your blood circulating well. For a flight of that length, they will give you meals and stuff, so that's good.

And, by "all liquids" I mean "all" liquids, including stuff you never really thought of as a liquid, like shaving cream. Liquids should therefore be stowed in your checked baggage.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 5:03:04 PM
Hopefully, that helps.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 5:59:44 PM
At 6/29/2016 5:02:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:

And, by "all liquids" I mean "all" liquids, including stuff you never really thought of as a liquid, like shaving cream. Liquids should therefore be stowed in your checked baggage.

When I went to Georgia, then checked my bag, and went through my suitcase, because I had NyQuil. Lol. They let me keep it. But I think policies now are much more stricter.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:01:18 PM
At 6/29/2016 4:53:46 PM, TheWorldIsComplicated wrote:
I'm going to London in a few days, and this flight will be the longest flight I have ever been on (Over 13 hours), does anyone have any tips? I'll be seating in economy, because who has enough money for first class, though I may try to ask the gate agent if there are any available upgrades. Any tips on what I should wear/do during the plane ride? I have already packed motion sickness medicine to prevent, well, motion sickness and am planning to bring 2 water bottles with me.

Thanks.

If you don't want to keep taking medication on the flight, try "Ginger chews". Its a all natural candy chew that helps with nausea and sickness. You can generally buy these at a organic food store, like whole foods.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:09:30 PM

Thanks.

Fly on Jet Blue, they have in-flight movies. Also, bring gum as well as something to help you sleep.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:28:42 PM
Have fun on your trip! I also plan on going to central London too soon (though that'll only take me a 15 - 30 minutes drive).
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
TheWorldIsComplicated
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:49:55 PM

By taking water, I meant after security, of course.
TheWorldIsComplicated
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 10:45:31 PM
At 6/29/2016 6:01:18 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Thanks.

If you don't want to keep taking medication on the flight, try "Ginger chews". Its a all natural candy chew that helps with nausea and sickness. You can generally buy these at a organic food store, like whole foods.

I think I have some Trader Joe's ginger mints somewhere in my house, I need to check.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 10:33:36 AM

Thanks.

Watch Air Crash Investigators TV shows.
Meh!
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 10:50:53 AM

Thanks.

Drink enough to pass out
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:47:13 PM

Thanks.

Why are you going to London? A site seeing tour?
TheWorldIsComplicated
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 3:48:58 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:47:13 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

Thanks.

Vacation. I'd like to see Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and such things. If anyone knows any hidden-gem restaurants, feel free to tell me! Best Indian places and stuff like that.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:44:20 PM
At 6/30/2016 3:48:58 PM, TheWorldIsComplicated wrote:

Thanks.

Vacation. I'd like to see Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and such things. If anyone knows any hidden-gem restaurants, feel free to tell me! Best Indian places and stuff like that.

I can make some recommendations. What area of London are you staying in? (ie. which borough)
John Galsworthy
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:02:57 PM

Thanks.

That is a long flight indeed. I've flown to Germany before from Florida and that was an equally long flight. Here are the three essentials for such a journey:

1) Comfort

If you can get bumped up to 1st class that'd be ideal, but if not it's best to be prepared and to make sure that your comfort is ensured. One of the best pillows for long flights is the neck pillow: http://minzeband.com... while you *are* provided free pillows, these are tailored for neck and spine support in a seated position and will certainly make the resting hours more comfortable for you. I'd also bring a small but comfortable blanket in your carry-on to use as well. This is another instance where the plane will usually have blankets already, but using a personal one for extended flights makes a big difference.

Other than that, wear comfortable clothing. For my international flights I usually wear sweat pants and a nice comfortable t-shirt. Pack a light sweater in case the plane gets a little chilly though to be safe. Comfortable socks and some slip-on shoes are nice too, it feels good letting your feet out of your shoes after 7-8 hours so with open slip-on shoes you can easily take them on or off.

I'd also pack some deodorant, maybe toothpaste and other minor toiletries in your carry-on in case you'd like to freshen up a little after an extended sleep or meal.

2) Entertainment

This is almost as key as comfort for long flights. While some airlines offer in-flight movies, it's completely situational. To be safe, bring along a tablet, ipod, or laptop to keep you busy. It'd be wise to invest in a portable battery charger or extra battery itself just incase you're unable to charge it while on the plane too. Otherwise, use this time to catch up on your latest reading project or work. Don't just depend on one thing to keep you busy for 12+ hours either, our minds need stimulation of various kinds and focusing for too long on one thing isn't healthy, so plan accordingly and have multiple sources of entertainment ready to go.

3) Snacks

The final tip for any extended flight. Will you be served meals in-flight? Of course. That doesn't mean they'll necessarily be good or enough. It's always wise to bring along plenty of snacks. Liquids aren't usually allowed past check-in, so you'll have to purchase a few water bottles in the actual terminals, but that shouldn't be an issue since there are always little shops in the terminals section. Load up on any and all snacks that your heart desires, but be mindful too - you don't want snacks that are going to give you gas or cause you to unload a furious package in the bathroom and ruin it for everyone else. (Definitely use the airport toilet before the flight)

If I can think of anything else I'll be sure to add more, but if you have these 3 essentials covered - you should be good to go!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
TheWorldIsComplicated
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:29:22 PM
At 6/30/2016 6:02:57 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thanks.

That is a long flight indeed. I've flown to Germany before from Florida and that was an equally long flight. Here are the three essentials for such a journey:

1) Comfort

If you can get bumped up to 1st class that'd be ideal, but if not it's best to be prepared and to make sure that your comfort is ensured. One of the best pillows for long flights is the neck pillow: http://minzeband.com... while you *are* provided free pillows, these are tailored for neck and spine support in a seated position and will certainly make the resting hours more comfortable for you. I'd also bring a small but comfortable blanket in your carry-on to use as well. This is another instance where the plane will usually have blankets already, but using a personal one for extended flights makes a big difference.

Other than that, wear comfortable clothing. For my international flights I usually wear sweat pants and a nice comfortable t-shirt. Pack a light sweater in case the plane gets a little chilly though to be safe. Comfortable socks and some slip-on shoes are nice too, it feels good letting your feet out of your shoes after 7-8 hours so with open slip-on shoes you can easily take them on or off.

I'd also pack some deodorant, maybe toothpaste and other minor toiletries in your carry-on in case you'd like to freshen up a little after an extended sleep or meal.

2) Entertainment

This is almost as key as comfort for long flights. While some airlines offer in-flight movies, it's completely situational. To be safe, bring along a tablet, ipod, or laptop to keep you busy. It'd be wise to invest in a portable battery charger or extra battery itself just incase you're unable to charge it while on the plane too. Otherwise, use this time to catch up on your latest reading project or work. Don't just depend on one thing to keep you busy for 12+ hours either, our minds need stimulation of various kinds and focusing for too long on one thing isn't healthy, so plan accordingly and have multiple sources of entertainment ready to go.

3) Snacks

The final tip for any extended flight. Will you be served meals in-flight? Of course. That doesn't mean they'll necessarily be good or enough. It's always wise to bring along plenty of snacks. Liquids aren't usually allowed past check-in, so you'll have to purchase a few water bottles in the actual terminals, but that shouldn't be an issue since there are always little shops in the terminals section. Load up on any and all snacks that your heart desires, but be mindful too - you don't want snacks that are going to give you gas or cause you to unload a furious package in the bathroom and ruin it for everyone else. (Definitely use the airport toilet before the flight)

If I can think of anything else I'll be sure to add more, but if you have these 3 essentials covered - you should be good to go!

Thanks for the tips! I've download a few movies, so that should keep me covered for a while!
TheWorldIsComplicated
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:33:09 PM
At 6/30/2016 5:44:20 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Thanks.

I can make some recommendations. What area of London are you staying in? (ie. which borough)

I'll be staying at the Allstay Maltings Place, not sure what borough it is in.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:27:50 PM
At 6/30/2016 6:33:09 PM, TheWorldIsComplicated wrote:
At 6/30/2016 5:44:20 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Thanks.

I'll be staying at the Allstay Maltings Place, not sure what borough it is in.

I looked it up. You're staying in a place about an hour drive away from where I live. I haven't been to that area before (at least not long enough for me to know the area particularly well). So I can't really make any recommendations. Sorry, I hope you have fun on your trip though.
John Galsworthy
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:39:43 PM

Thanks.

Look for a girl named Zara. She likes mazeratti cars and high fashion. Find her if you can
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 3:18:19 PM
Well that motion sickness may be a problem at first...but on such a long flight, you'll pretty much have no choice but to adjust to it. After a while whatever discomfort you'll feel will likely turn into boredom--then before you know it, you'll be in London ;)
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2016 3:22:20 PM
Also I don't see how too much water (at least more than a necessary amount, for sitting on a plane) will be hugely helpful, that'll only make you go to the toilet a lot which *could* bring on the motion sickness. Just try to occupy your mind with things.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:11:20 PM
At 7/2/2016 3:22:20 PM, Emilrose wrote:
Also I don't see how too much water (at least more than a necessary amount, for sitting on a plane) will be hugely helpful, that'll only make you go to the toilet a lot which *could* bring on the motion sickness. Just try to occupy your mind with things.

I don't think he is actually looking for tips to flying. Only a retard would create a post to ask for a tip, when the best tip says take a sleeping pill already. Sleep it off, I say. For you, wakeup, if you can. Nobody goes to London to see the sites, unless they're searching for something. England has horrible cuisine, unless you're eating fish 'n' chips served in a newspaper...because how awesome is that?. It's pretty awesome. Flacky bars for desert, and now you're starting to not look like an unrefined tourist. Ten sites to see before one crosses the bridge to no return. Better to just find Zara. Hello jello.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:18:25 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:11:20 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

I don't think he is actually looking for tips to flying.

I got the impression that he's looking for tips on flying *with* motion sickness--hence my answer to his post.

Only a retard would create a post to ask for a tip, when the best tip says take a sleeping pill already. Sleep it off, I say. For you, wakeup, if you can. Nobody goes to London to see the sites, unless they're searching for something. England has horrible cuisine, unless you're eating fish 'n' chips served in a newspaper...because how awesome is that?. It's pretty awesome. Flacky bars for desert, and now you're starting to not look like an unrefined tourist. Ten sites to see before one crosses the bridge to no return. Better to just find Zara. Hello jello.

Okay.

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 7:36:18 PM
At 7/3/2016 7:18:25 PM, Emilrose wrote:
At 7/3/2016 7:11:20 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:

I don't think he is actually looking for tips to flying.

I got the impression that he's looking for tips on flying *with* motion sickness--hence my answer to his post.

Sometimes people say things, but what they are really saying is something else. Do you honestly think he needed a tip from you on how to fly?

Only a retard would create a post to ask for a tip, when the best tip says take a sleeping pill already. Sleep it off, I say. For you, wakeup, if you can. Nobody goes to London to see the sites, unless they're searching for something. England has horrible cuisine, unless you're eating fish 'n' chips served in a newspaper...because how awesome is that?. It's pretty awesome. Flacky bars for desert, and now you're starting to not look like an unrefined tourist. Ten sites to see before one crosses the bridge to no return. Better to just find Zara. Hello jello.

Okay.
Yep
SummerHaze
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 8:39:24 AM
13 hours it's a lot of time. I recall that I was flying 10 hours and it was kind of boring. I also booked tickets through cheap flights service http://lowcost.club... , I just could not afford 1st class :( U know that you can ask water in a stewardess, its must be free even in economy class. I think it's better to take a few of sleeping pills and take a nap.