Jump to topic:

Are you retarded? Am I?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:14:33 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Maybe this should be in the philosophy forum, but I was wondering if I was retarded. I think I am smart, but maybe I am just so retarded I can't even tell I am retarded. I constantly look for signs of my own retardedness.

For example if I was retarded maybe some indicators would exist in my childhood, and I think there were indicators. I remember going to one head shrink at maybe 10 years old and him showing me pictures and asking me to identify pictures. I remember him holding up a picture of a leaf and asking me what it was. I cried and said it was a broken tree, and saw him stifle a laugh. So that is indicator number one.

While in school I took special classes. Let me start by saying before I had the special classes (retard special not smart special) I had failed kindergarten. SO I was literally too retarded to pass a grade where you pretty much play with toys all day and have nap time. Kindergarten was indicator 2 of my retardedness. (P.s. cool if I use the word, not cool if you non retards use it).

Indicator 3 of my retardedness was the massive amounts of speech therapy classes I needed. I mean while every one else was easily saying words like stop instead of dop, or rake instead of rape, I was speaking like an idiot. I still don't say certain words right. For example I say "reld" instead of "world" and "wooder" instead of "water". Indicator 3 of retardedness is speech problems. Any native English speakers here who also needed speech therapy classes?

Indicator 4 was the retard classes. While other kids spent the full day in whatever the hell Elementary kids do in the 4th grade I was literally sitting in a special class with kids who wore helmets and drooled. I mean Occam's Razor right. If the rest of the students in the class are retarded than common sense says I am. What other explanation was there for me being their.

Indicator 5. I couldn't make it past the 9th grade. Technically I made it to 10th grade, but I spent 2 years in tenth grade before getting expelled.

indicator 6, I did take a college placement test about a year ago to start taking some classes and failed the math portion of that. I think that was even stuff that was covered in the 9th grade.

SO me thinking about whether I was retarded or not and realizing that it is possible to be so retarded you think you are not retarded got me looking for indicators of retardedness. Well I found them. I can't find any indicators in my life of non retardedness. So maybe I just need to accept this and go to the social security office to get my disability check.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:24:50 AM
The other day I microwaved Uncle Ben's rice and forgot to vent the bag so rice ended up everywhere.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 9:51:22 AM
At 6/30/2016 9:21:20 AM, Wylted wrote:
Smarter than obly 7% of the population
http://www.am-i-dumb.com...

I can't read , I can't write , but I can drive a tractor alright.

Just because you like the taste licking windows leaves in your mouth
You are not at all mentally retarded.
Your going to be A OK.
Hi 5.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 9:59:18 AM
At 6/30/2016 9:51:22 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Your going to be A OK.
Hi 5.

I can't be trusted with scissors.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 10:31:07 AM
At 6/30/2016 9:59:18 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/30/2016 9:51:22 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Your going to be A OK.
Hi 5.

I can't be trusted with scissors.

I failed finger painting as well .
That's why I don't eat sun dried tomatoes.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 10:55:22 AM
At 6/30/2016 10:32:40 AM, rross wrote:
Retarded just means relatively slow to develop, so if you're still acting like you're 26, you might be.

You're thinking of maturity. Me not being able to tie my shoes properly makes me retarded. Though maybe my retardation does have some effect (or is it affect, dam it sucks being retarded and not knowing). Where was I?

Oh yeah, perhaps my retardation does have some effect on my maturity level.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 11:54:18 AM
Retarded just means relatively slow to develop, so if you're still acting like you're 26, you might be.

Acting like a 26 year old. There ain't no such thing.
I'm not slow , watch . Look at him go.
I was born on me birthday I'm 37. Look at me . See

I also collect stamps.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 12:17:37 PM
Anyway I traveled to work on a train for like 8 years .
Every day I was in the same carriage as 4 to 6 friendly mentally retarded persons.
I'm sitting there not feeling to fun or happy , as I'm going to work .
For entertainment I would occasionally watch the mental ones.
Man. Every day it looked like they where having the time of their life's.
One of em would duck and dodge every bridge and tunnel we would come to. The others would yell talk to each other about video games and the female one would flirt non stop.
And flash her parts at the others. They where having a ball. Every single day fun fun fun.
I was dreading work , hangover , tired.
It made me wonder what I was doing wrong.
Sorry about the spelling.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 2:09:31 PM
At 6/30/2016 8:14:33 AM, Wylted wrote:

I actually had to do speech classes since I had a lisp and a few other things. It may seem that you think that you are the smartest, but you have shown to be well read in other fields and you can debate it. You show that you can retain and use knowledge. You may not have a degree from Harvard, but you have a PhD from the school of Hard Knocks. Don't sell yourself short man.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 2:20:56 PM
At 6/30/2016 2:09:31 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I actually had to do speech classes since I had a lisp and a few other things. It may seem that you think that you are the smartest, but you have shown to be well read in other fields and you can debate it. You show that you can retain and use knowledge. You may not have a degree from Harvard, but you have a PhD from the school of Hard Knocks. Don't sell yourself short man.

His a bad egg.
Every comment on his report card read.
Has the ability to learn but is easily distracted.
His not retarded but he comes close to it.
Lest say his SPECIAL.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 5:34:22 PM
At 6/30/2016 10:55:22 AM, Wylted wrote:

You're thinking of maturity. Me not being able to tie my shoes properly makes me retarded. Though maybe my retardation does have some effect (or is it affect, dam it sucks being retarded and not knowing). Where was I?

Oh yeah, perhaps my retardation does have some effect on my maturity level.

I think learning to tie your shoes is a 2-stage process for a lot of people. When they're 5 or 6, they learn a wonky way, but it sorta holds the shoes on and the adults let it pass because the child was getting discouraged, or maybe the adults can't be bothered, so they say omg great you can tie your shoes!

Next thing, the kid's in high school and her friends are like wtf is this, and make her do it the right way.

Anyway. It's possible you missed out on step 2. Your high school friends were @ssholes. Only youtube can help you now.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:46:58 PM
Maybe this should be in the philosophy forum, but I was wondering if I was retarded. I think I am smart, but maybe I am just so retarded I can't even tell I am retarded. I constantly look for signs of my own retardedness.

For example if I was retarded maybe some indicators would exist in my childhood, and I think there were indicators. I remember going to one head shrink at maybe 10 years old and him showing me pictures and asking me to identify pictures. I remember him holding up a picture of a leaf and asking me what it was. I cried and said it was a broken tree, and saw him stifle a laugh. So that is indicator number one.

While in school I took special classes. Let me start by saying before I had the special classes (retard special not smart special) I had failed kindergarten. SO I was literally too retarded to pass a grade where you pretty much play with toys all day and have nap time. Kindergarten was indicator 2 of my retardedness. (P.s. cool if I use the word, not cool if you non retards use it).

Indicator 3 of my retardedness was the massive amounts of speech therapy classes I needed. I mean while every one else was easily saying words like stop instead of dop, or rake instead of rape, I was speaking like an idiot. I still don't say certain words right. For example I say "reld" instead of "world" and "wooder" instead of "water". Indicator 3 of retardedness is speech problems. Any native English speakers here who also needed speech therapy classes?

Indicator 4 was the retard classes. While other kids spent the full day in whatever the hell Elementary kids do in the 4th grade I was literally sitting in a special class with kids who wore helmets and drooled. I mean Occam's Razor right. If the rest of the students in the class are retarded than common sense says I am. What other explanation was there for me being their.

Indicator 5. I couldn't make it past the 9th grade. Technically I made it to 10th grade, but I spent 2 years in tenth grade before getting expelled.

indicator 6, I did take a college placement test about a year ago to start taking some classes and failed the math portion of that. I think that was even stuff that was covered in the 9th grade.

SO me thinking about whether I was retarded or not and realizing that it is possible to be so retarded you think you are not retarded got me looking for indicators of retardedness. Well I found them. I can't find any indicators in my life of non retardedness. So maybe I just need to accept this and go to the social security office to get my disability check.

Don't look at your childhood. Where are you now, compared to the average American your age?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:50:14 PM
Don't look at your childhood. Where are you now, compared to the average American your age?

Not very far. Minimum wage job, and can barely function right
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 7:57:52 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:50:14 PM, Wylted wrote:

You're doing bad financially, but that doesn't make you dumb. It just means you came from a horrible background and you made some horrible choices.
Aren't you learning a programming language?

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:01:14 PM
At 6/30/2016 7:57:52 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You're doing bad financially, but that doesn't make you dumb. It just means you came from a horrible background and you made some horrible choices.

The learning has slowed, but I have taught myself html css and ja<x>vascript. I need to learn those things more thoroughly, but anyone can learn them
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:06:12 PM
At 6/30/2016 8:01:14 PM, Wylted wrote:

The learning has slowed, but I have taught myself html css and ja<x>vascript. I need to learn those things more thoroughly, but anyone can learn them

Sure, the same way that anybody can learn Russian. It's an impressive feat regardless, is it not? Dedication and investing large amounts of your time into learning can often compensate for slowness.
If you believe that you are behind everyone else in terms of what you know or what you know how to do, then work towards catching up. It isn't too late until you're dead. Most people more or less stop learning after they graduate from high school/college, so if you keep learning throughout your adult life you will catch up to and surpass most people eventually.

The DDO Blog:

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:10:13 PM
It was a painful time in my life learning the time on a clock with the three arms on it. WTF is a quarter to 5.
I got there but.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:16:27 PM
At 6/30/2016 8:06:12 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Sure, the same way that anybody can learn Russian. It's an impressive feat regardless, is it not? Dedication and investing large amounts of your time into learning can often compensate for slowness.
If you believe that you are behind everyone else in terms of what you know or what you know how to do, then work towards catching up. It isn't too late until you're dead. Most people more or less stop learning after they graduate from high school/college, so if you keep learning throughout your adult life you will catch up to and surpass most people eventually.

Dude I learn for fun. It isn't useful at all. I think Christopher Langan is broke
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:17:08 PM

I'm no good at all , spelling and grammar.
But thanks to the ( T9 ) dictionary.
I can spell dictionary.
Cheers T9.
Do you think this hinders kids. ?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:28:23 PM
At 6/30/2016 8:16:27 PM, Wylted wrote:

Dude I learn for fun. It isn't useful at all. I think Christopher Langan is broke

If you like learning, then that's best of all, because it means you'll pick things up quickly. It won't really benefit you on a material level, but you'll prove to yourself that you aren't stupid.

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 8:41:00 PM
At 6/30/2016 8:28:23 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

If you like learning, then that's best of all, because it means you'll pick things up quickly. It won't really benefit you on a material level, but you'll prove to yourself that you aren't stupid.

I have no objective way to know if I am picking things up faster than retard level.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 9:03:24 PM
You're not retarded, but emphasis on that stuff is misguided anyway. What matters as an adult is your relationships and the influence you have on people around you. You can tell how well you're doing by that. Drink driving is retarded. Working a sh1t job to provide for your family is amazing. I hate being an adult, but here it is. I wish it were all as easy as doing a test or learning Russian, but only teenagers judge their worth with that stuff because they've got nothing better.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 10:51:31 PM
At 6/30/2016 8:41:00 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/30/2016 8:28:23 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I have no objective way to know if I am picking things up faster than retard level.

It doesn't matter if you do. Most people your age don't pick up anything at all.

The DDO Blog: