Jump to topic:

Why do I hate guitar so much?

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:16:52 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Ok, I've played the piano since as long as I could remember and recently I've begun to hate the guitar. I don't know why but I always look at it with disdain as if it could never become equal with a piano. But I know that both instruments are equally as good. The guitar just seems to annoy me so much.

Does anybody else have problems with other instruments?
Is it a musicians pride thing? I don't look down on any other instrument. I just really hate the guitar.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:23:44 AM
At 7/4/2016 3:16:52 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
Ok, I've played the piano since as long as I could remember and recently I've begun to hate the guitar. I don't know why but I always look at it with disdain as if it could never become equal with a piano. But I know that both instruments are equally as good. The guitar just seems to annoy me so much.

Is it a musicians pride thing? I don't look down on any other instrument. I just really hate the guitar.

Acoustic or electric? The thing about the guitar is that it can sound radically different if tuned differently. Not only that, there's amplifiers, distortion, etc...
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:26:57 AM
I absolutely hate electric guitars. Acoustics aren't as bad but its still a guitar. I don't know why though. Guess I just don't like the sound.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:34:17 AM
At 7/4/2016 3:26:57 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
I absolutely hate electric guitars. Acoustics aren't as bad but its still a guitar. I don't know why though. Guess I just don't like the sound.

You can't generalize so quickly. I mean you can't honestly tell me that these three guitar techniques sound similar.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:36:54 AM

No lies, I was listening this when I first came across this thread.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:43:17 AM
Wow, I almost died from listening to that UtherPenguin. My ears are now bleeding. As for different guitar techniques. I don't know. Guess I have an odd fancy for classical music.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 5:42:33 AM
At 7/4/2016 3:43:17 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
Wow, I almost died from listening to that UtherPenguin. My ears are now bleeding. As for different guitar techniques. I don't know. Guess I have an odd fancy for classical music.

How about classical-modern hybrid?

https://m.youtube.com...

Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 5:38:19 PM

In truth, a person cannot do as much with a guitar as they can with a piano.
Even the most complex guitar songs could in theory be played on the piano (with difficulty, I'll admit), but the reverse is not true. One cannot play Bach's Invention no. 13 on the guitar, or a myriad of other complex pieces by the long-dead masters.
The piano is quite simply a superior instrument in almost every way.
Plus, I hate the friction made by someone's fingers rubbing against guitar strings.

I advise you to learn to play the piano.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 1:07:26 AM
Sometimes you just need to walk away to allow time to heal broken appreciations. Frustration has ways of encouraging dislikes to pleasure. It's difficult to progress forward when the moment becomes frazzled, but stepping the momentum back almost always pushes the ambition to higher levels when returning. So maybe it's this. Maybe it's not. Maybe there is something deeper manifesting. This is a special year and the summer solstice is in effect. Full moons. Hidden Cross of Christ showing itself in the sky. Powers in the sky are shifting. Changing people. Changing attitudes. Crazy stuff.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 11:12:51 AM

Have you actually PLAYED electric guitar? Because it's like holding a gun. It's bad if someone else in the room is doing it, but it feels okay to do it yourself. Or so I imagine. Anyway, if you haven't played electric guitar, try it. Your feelings are probably repressed envy.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 4:19:35 PM

I think maybe its the type of music that is your hurdle, no so much the instrument. The piano has been traditionally the domain of classical music whilst the guitar with blues-based music.
The blues and its offshoots, jazz and rock n roll use western music patterns and scales yet it is the execution that differs from classical in that they have a more emotive feel to their sound.
Technically, the guitar is a harder instrument to learn and has a greater octave range. The piano was designed to be an automated stringed instrument.
So, it is a matter of appreciating different styles of music, there is good and bad irrespective of the genre.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 6:40:05 PM

When did this loathing start? What was happening in your life around the time of your new disdain for guitars? Whats your relationship to people that play guitars?

give me your palm

*extends palm*

You will be killed by a guitar, on the eves of jar
I_Wanna_Rawk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 6:56:37 PM
At 7/4/2016 5:38:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Even the most complex guitar songs could in theory be played on the piano (with difficulty, I'll admit), but the reverse is not true. One cannot play Bach's Invention no. 13 on the guitar, or a myriad of other complex pieces by the long-dead masters.

That's because you use one hand to pick, the other to push down on the strings. It's impossible to play many piano pieces on guitar, as both the right and left hand play on piano. As someone who played piano and now plays electric guitar in a rock band, the two instruments have their own qualities, and are used for different purposes. Pianos can't make the hard, heavy, dirty, (in my opinion, good) sound that guitars make, but even acoustics cannot imitate the flowing ruthenium of a good piano player. It all depends on what you like.
Plus, I hate the friction made by someone's fingers rubbing against guitar strings.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 5:54:57 PM
It was probably because of my music teacher. He sucked at teaching and we all hated him. Plus we were learning the guitar.
Ciacco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 3:54:17 AM

Do you hate bass guitars or all guitars in general?
Here's a few examples of bass guitars if you're curious:
https://www.youtube.com...
==The next one is drastically different than the other two which were isolated bass tracks from classic rock songs ==
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 5:12:36 PM
At 7/8/2016 4:57:59 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
I generally hate all guitars of all kinds. Especially electric guitars.

Violins and other string instruments too?
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 5:14:04 PM
At 7/4/2016 5:38:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

As someone said, that's partially because you need one hand to pick with a guitar. However, many pieces of classical piano music don't do much of anything with the left hand either. That's one reason Beethoven's pieces stood out so much.
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 5:14:53 PM
No, I love other stringed instruments. I play the violin. The guitar just sounds ugly compared to other stringed instruments.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 3:55:49 PM

There is no comparison to a guitar and a piano. A guitar has far more range and versatility.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:49:43 PM
At 7/9/2016 3:55:49 PM, sadolite wrote:

There is no comparison to a guitar and a piano. A guitar has far more range and versatility.

Yes but does either of those matter when you can play this.
Star Wars Fantasy Suite

Or this.
Pirates of the Carribean

Or this.
Bohemian Rhapsody

nope, didn't think so. :)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 9:58:14 PM
At 7/9/2016 9:49:43 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Star Wars Fantasy Suite

Or this.
Pirates of the Carribean

Or this.
Bohemian Rhapsody

Posting top forty songs with a piano in it isn't a intellectual rebuttal about the comparison of versatility between a guitar and a piano.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 10:01:28 PM
At 7/9/2016 9:58:14 PM, sadolite wrote:

Star Wars Fantasy Suite

Or this.
Pirates of the Carribean

Or this.
Bohemian Rhapsody

Posting top forty songs with a piano in it isn't a intellectual rebuttal about the comparison of versatility between a guitar and a piano.

Are you a guitar player?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 5:19:42 PM
At 7/9/2016 10:01:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Star Wars Fantasy Suite

Or this.
Pirates of the Carribean

Or this.
Bohemian Rhapsody

Are you a guitar player?

I own 3 guitars and a piano. Don't play any of them well.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 5:54:13 PM
At 7/10/2016 5:19:42 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 7/9/2016 10:01:28 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Star Wars Fantasy Suite

Or this.
Pirates of the Carribean

Or this.
Bohemian Rhapsody

Are you a guitar player?

I own 3 guitars and a piano. Don't play any of them well.

But at least you play them so that counts for something.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 2:57:53 PM
Posted: 4 months ago

You have to pull too many strings to get it to work. With a piano you just push buttons. This is more natural for a female.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 10:39:32 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/8/2016 2:57:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

You have to pull too many strings to get it to work. With a piano you just push buttons. This is more natural for a female.

That is actually very funny and witty.