Jump to topic:

How can I fall asleep more quickly

Omniscient_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 7:59:39 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
It's nearing 1 AM and I am still not tIredell enough to fall asleep. Does anybody have tips to help me fall asleep quickly? I tend to have too much thought in my brain thus resulting in the lack of ability to sleep for several hours, and pills do not always work.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 12:03:11 PM
At 7/6/2016 7:59:39 AM, Omniscient_Debater wrote:
It's nearing 1 AM and I am still not tIredell enough to fall asleep. Does anybody have tips to help me fall asleep quickly? I tend to have too much thought in my brain thus resulting in the lack of ability to sleep for several hours, and pills do not always work

I had a similar problem due to time change, so I just did the same thing for two weeks: trek several miles each day, drag burros around for some of them, and spend most of my free time playing cards, pulling up a bear bag, and insulting someone/being insulted (because we're a crew). That always put me to sleep at night :D
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 12:36:40 PM
It's nearing 1 AM and I am still not tIredell enough to fall asleep. Does anybody have tips to help me fall asleep quickly? I tend to have too much thought in my brain thus resulting in the lack of ability to sleep for several hours, and pills do not always work.

Being able to fall asleep more easily requires a combination of factors, if you have difficulty in that area.

The first thing is trying to be tired. You should go outside and play or go for a long walk or something, and try to have had some amount of physical activity (at least 45 min to an hour) per day. Even if it's just walking.

The second thing is to not eat right before you go to bed. (This one is a challenge for me, because I like to eat at night a lot.) If you eat a lot before you try to go to sleep, that can keep you up. It doesn't always do it for everyone, but it can do it for a lot of people. But the biggest reason not to eat before you go to sleep is because if you take sleeping medication, it will work better and faster if you take it on a semi empty to empty stomach.

The third thing is to clear your mind. This is something I've gotten really good at, but it takes practice. What you want to do is mentally recall everything that happened in the day. Acknowledge it, and then accept that all that happened happened (sort of like a mental inventory), and then tell yourself that now there is nothing more to do or think about. So, you can relax. (If you take sleep medication, this is what you want to do right after you take it.) On the third step, don't beat yourself up if you take some time to figure out how to do this. It's like learning a new habit, and it's not easy to do, but it really works.

On sleep medication....

I've tried every prescription out there. Ambien (which I hate), Lunesta (which I hate more), etc. and nothing works better for me than a combination of L-theanine and Melatonin, both of which I take every night. Note that you would want to speak to your doctor before taking medication or supplements.
Tsar of DDO
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 1:06:24 PM

Do a lot of exercise in daylight, and take a shower right before bed.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 1:53:59 PM

I've dealt with insomnia on and off since I was 12, a few strategies I would do in order to let the bed bugs bite.

I'll split this into three parts: What you could do in the morning, what you could do in the evening before sleeping, or what you could do if It's already 12:30 AM and you have an exam at 8 o'clock and the soul crushing anxiety already sets in.

In the morning (in order to prevent insomnia):
-Wake up absurdly early during the day (at least an hour before sunrise, though you could go with during sunrise if it's in the summer).
-Drink some tea or anything that'll wake you up for the rest of the day.
-Go for a run for an hour or as the sun rises.
-Fanatically praise Yahweh or whatever deity you worship.
Whatever you do , DONT go back to sleep, the idea is to keep your brain active for as early and long as possible during the day, so when the night rolls around you're more likely of falling asleep.

In the evening (a few hours before sleeping):

-Turn off any and all electronics at least one hour and a half before sleeping, blue light is your enemy, blue is light of the devil. Any exposure to blue light sends a signal to the brain tricking it that it's the day, making it physically more difficult to sleep.

-Open all the windows, let the cold air in. Make your room as physically cold as possible, make a sacrifice to Yahweh or whatever deity you worship if that helps.

- Also, whatever you do, do not read anything that will large amounts of deep thought, or any books that provoke much interest, no large history books, nothing by Brandon Sanderson , no 500+ page long tafsir commentaries by Ibn Kathir, you get the point.

-Avoid all light at least 30 minutes before sleeping.

- Do not go to bed until at least 15 minutes before you intend to sleep, stop reading at least 10 minutes before sleep.

-Sleep tight.

In the night:
Okay so you've done everything I've said yet you still can't sleep? I know that feel bruh, and it sucks. Here's a few things I do if the insomnia is still there. I usually go by the following rules when it comes to sleep,

1. If you aren't any sleepier then you were when you went to bed 15 minutes ago, then you have to get up and do something. Stretch, meditate, offer a sacrifice to Elohim, you get the point.

2. If you don't feel any sleepier than you were when you went to bed 30 minutes- and hour ago then it's time to bring out the big guns. So here's a few things I usually do:
-Make the room *extra* cold, if it's winter, I open the door wide and brave myself to the elements for a good 5 minutes.
-Take a shower at pneumonia inducing temperatures for roughly 5 minutes
-Offer a sacrifice to Elohim.
A general rule of thumb, the colder you are before going to sleep, the more likely you are of falling asleep.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 3:39:27 AM

Try binural beats. It's very relaxing, makes you fall asleep faster, and you wake up stress free.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~