Jump to topic:

Dog advice

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 10:09:01 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
My dog doesn't like dog food. I've tried many brands. The only way she'll eat it is if I chop up some meat and sprinkle it on the top of her dog food. Should I just keep doing that? I don't want her to have high cholesterol or something like that. I do worry because she doesn't eat a lot. She was skin and bones when I got her from the shelter. They had trouble getting her to eat too. She is at a more healthy weight, and her ribs don't show any more. She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, which I think is normally a slender breed. She is seven years old and healthy. I've had her for about six months. I've never had a dog and know nothing about them.

Another problem is she has a lot of anxiety about loud noises. Lawnmower, vacuum, fireworks etc all scare her. She will sometimes spend an hours under the bed and I can't coax her out. I don't think she was abused by her previous owners because she is not afraid of people, and she's really friendly with everyone. Her vet gave her several days of anxiety meds for the july 4th holiday. She also refused to eat anything if she is scared of a noise. I have my boyfriend take her for a walk while I vacuum, but of course I can't control all noises.

Any advice might help, I'm not sure what to do about these problems.
I_Wanna_Rawk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 3:18:08 PM
Not sure about fireworks, but my dog used to eat normal dog food, but once we got her to try some Cannes stuff with meat, that's all she will eat. Eats the canned food that's on top of the dry food without touching the dry stuff. Basically, what I'm trying to say in long rambily fashion, is try some canned food. They like that stuff.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 5:51:40 PM
At 7/8/2016 10:09:01 AM, janesix wrote:
My dog doesn't like dog food. I've tried many brands. The only way she'll eat it is if I chop up some meat and sprinkle it on the top of her dog food. Should I just keep doing that? I don't want her to have high cholesterol or something like that. I do worry because she doesn't eat a lot. She was skin and bones when I got her from the shelter. They had trouble getting her to eat too. She is at a more healthy weight, and her ribs don't show any more. She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, which I think is normally a slender breed. She is seven years old and healthy. I've had her for about six months. I've never had a dog and know nothing about them.

Try combining dry food and wet food. If she won't eat from a bowl, try putting it on a plate or on the floor. You can also try putting something like mackerel instead of meat on the dry food.

Another problem is she has a lot of anxiety about loud noises. Lawnmower, vacuum, fireworks etc all scare her. She will sometimes spend an hours under the bed and I can't coax her out. I don't think she was abused by her previous owners because she is not afraid of people, and she's really friendly with everyone. Her vet gave her several days of anxiety meds for the july 4th holiday. She also refused to eat anything if she is scared of a noise. I have my boyfriend take her for a walk while I vacuum, but of course I can't control all noises.

I think that's normal. I don't think there's really anything you can do about that. You can try encouraging her to go outside when you vacuum or keep her in your room to let her know it's a safe place.

Any advice might help, I'm not sure what to do about these problems.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 5:26:02 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/8/2016 10:09:01 AM, janesix wrote:
She's a Rhodesian Ridgeback, which I think is normally a slender breed. She is seven years old and healthy. I've had her for about six months. I've never had a dog and know nothing about them.

That's a super rare breed and coincidentally I used to own one. They're dogs that were used for hunting lions, so be sure to give them lots of exercise and keep them busy or mentally stimulated when you can. They're very strong willed and loyal. You're right that they are a slender breed, so don't worry if your dog is skinny. But if it doesn't like food, I agree with the suggestion to mix wet food with the dry -- not too much, but just enough.
President of DDO