Jump to topic:

Piano vs Video games

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 5:24:50 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I was on a debate recently debating about video games being a sport and my opponent pointed out that button mashing is not what video games are all about. He claimed that video games are about precise timed clicking of buttons to win. So then I said that piano is more qualified to be a sport than video games if that were so.
http://www.debate.org...
Here's the debate. Does anybody agree with me? If not feel free to challenge on this topic.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:16:34 PM
At 7/8/2016 5:24:50 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
I was on a debate recently debating about video games being a sport and my opponent pointed out that button mashing is not what video games are all about. He claimed that video games are about precise timed clicking of buttons to win. So then I said that piano is more qualified to be a sport than video games if that were so.
Here's the debate. Does anybody agree with me? If not feel free to challenge on this topic.

Who exactly is a pianist playing against?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:28:02 PM
At 7/10/2016 3:16:34 PM, Fkkize wrote:

The pianist would technically be playing against a gamer in terms of who's better in the categories of skill, competition and physical exertion used.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:34:13 PM
At 7/10/2016 3:28:02 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

The pianist would technically be playing against a gamer in terms of who's better in the categories of skill, competition and physical exertion used.

That is not what I mean. For playing the piano to be a sport, there has to be some kind of win condition. So what do you suggest? Let two people play until one of them makes a mistake? That's not what music is about, wouldn't you agree?
:
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:37:21 PM
At 7/10/2016 3:34:13 PM, Fkkize wrote:

That is not what I mean. For playing the piano to be a sport, there has to be some kind of win condition. So what do you suggest? Let two people play until one of them makes a mistake? That's not what music is about, wouldn't you agree?

Oh I see what you mean now, you do know there's such a thing called a piano competition right?
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:46:36 PM
At 7/10/2016 3:37:21 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Oh I see what you mean now, you do know there's such a thing called a piano competition right?

Of course, but none of their judging criteria qualify as objective by any means, making it an art contest, not a sports contest. That is why my example included an objective criterion, to highlight how futile such attempts are.
:
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:04:09 PM
At 7/10/2016 3:46:36 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Of course, but none of their judging criteria qualify as objective by any means, making it an art contest, not a sports contest. That is why my example included an objective criterion, to highlight how futile such attempts are.

Well then figure skating is judged by purely subjective opinions and so is dance and gymnastics. Are those not sports?
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:05:47 PM
At 7/10/2016 4:04:09 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Well then figure skating is judged by purely subjective opinions and so is dance and gymnastics. Are those not sports?

I consider them art, yes.
:
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:06:53 PM
At 7/10/2016 4:05:47 PM, Fkkize wrote:

But they are still a sport. Right?
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:08:29 PM
At 7/10/2016 4:06:53 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Only in the sense of being physically exhausting activities.
:
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:11:37 PM
At 7/10/2016 4:08:29 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Piano can be physically exhausting. Have you ever had to play a sonata that had sixteenth notes all throughout the song and it lasted for thirty minutes? Because that is definitely difficult to do. Try banging you hands on a table as fast as you can for thirty minutes straight. It's hard and that's not even half of why you have to do when your actually playing a real song.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 4:17:09 PM
At 7/10/2016 4:11:37 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 7/10/2016 4:08:29 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Piano can be physically exhausting. Have you ever had to play a sonata that had sixteenth notes all throughout the song and it lasted for thirty minutes?

Of course, but nobody plays an instrument to get fit. Again, I do not consider any of these things to be a sport in the here relevant sense.

Because that is definitely difficult to do. Try banging you hands on a table as fast as you can for thirty minutes straight. It's hard and that's not even half of why you have to do when your actually playing a real song.

I play instruments for almost as long as you life. Thank you very much, but I know making music is not easy and I never said it is.
:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:30:32 PM

I not only agree but will add that video games are a waste of life. No one and I mean no one wants to sit and watch you play a video game while people will sit and watch a person play a piano and if you are good enough they will pay for the privilege.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:34:56 PM
At 7/10/2016 6:30:32 PM, sadolite wrote:

I not only agree but will add that video games are a waste of life. No one and I mean no one wants to sit and watch you play a video game while people will sit and watch a person play a piano and if you are good enough they will pay for the privilege.

Finally, someone who's actually smart and sees video games for the way they truly are. Glad we think alike. I do like video games but if I had to choose between them and my piano, I would definitely choose my piano.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:39:10 PM
At 7/10/2016 6:34:56 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Finally, someone who's actually smart and sees video games for the way they truly are. Glad we think alike. I do like video games but if I had to choose between them and my piano, I would definitely choose my piano.

I like them too, but they are a colossal waste of life, so is DDO , but these among other things are things I choose to do in my limited free time to wasteful useless crap.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:41:21 PM
At 7/10/2016 6:39:10 PM, sadolite wrote:

I like them too, but they are a colossal waste of life, so is DDO , but these among other things are things I choose to do in my limited free time to wasteful useless crap.

Yup, that's practically what this is. Funny how people get so annoyed on here sometimes. It's really easy to annoy people on this website.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 6:34:55 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 7/10/2016 6:41:21 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

Yup, that's practically what this is. Funny how people get so annoyed on here sometimes. It's really easy to annoy people on this website.

I'd pick piano over video games. It takes more skill. How do you feel when you play the piano?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 8:53:33 PM
At 8/8/2016 6:34:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I'd pick piano over video games. It takes more skill. How do you feel when you play the piano?

I feel happy.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 9:01:43 PM
At 8/8/2016 8:53:33 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

I feel happy.

Interesting. What kind of music do you like to play?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 9:26:43 PM
At 8/8/2016 9:01:43 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I feel happy.

Classical and other stuff occasionally.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 9:29:27 PM
At 8/8/2016 9:26:43 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

I feel happy.

Do you play Andrew Loyd Webber stuff

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 9:53:49 PM
At 8/8/2016 9:29:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I feel happy.

No. I play lots of disney and theme songs.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 9:56:18 PM
At 8/8/2016 9:53:49 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

I feel happy.

I like playing Phantom of the Opera stuff. I've got a piano that you can program like a keyboard to do organ.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 9:57:49 PM
At 8/8/2016 9:56:18 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I feel happy.

I like playing Phantom of the Opera stuff. I've got a piano that you can program like a keyboard to do organ.

Yes, what level are you in piano, if you do royal conservatory that is?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2016 10:23:06 PM
At 8/8/2016 9:57:49 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

I feel happy.

I didn't know there were levels. I had no formal training at piano. I just played by ear and learned to read music on my own. I played the drums in college, and I did take drum lessons as a kid. I can play basic chords on guitar but I'm not some great guitarist.

By what I am gathering you seem like you would play Fur Elise type music. I played Arabesque a feew years back.

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 1:38:32 AM
At 8/8/2016 10:23:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

I feel happy.

I didn't know there were levels. I had no formal training at piano. I just played by ear and learned to read music on my own. I played the drums in college, and I did take drum lessons as a kid. I can play basic chords on guitar but I'm not some great guitarist.

By what I am gathering you seem like you would play Fur Elise type music. I played Arabesque a feew years back.

I hate the Fur Elise song. Once upon a time it may have sounded beautiful but its a song for beginners and unfortunately beginers have ruined that song by playing it way too much. I haven't played any really popular classical songs becuase I couldn't care less about them. They impress people but not as much as songs people already know.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:24:44 AM
At 8/9/2016 1:38:32 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

I feel happy.

I hate the Fur Elise song. Once upon a time it may have sounded beautiful but its a song for beginners and unfortunately beginers have ruined that song by playing it way too much. I haven't played any really popular classical songs becuase I couldn't care less about them. They impress people but not as much as songs people already know.

What is your song you like to play that makes you smile?

HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 2:46:03 AM
At 8/9/2016 2:24:44 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

I feel happy.

I can play this.
https://www.youtube.com...
And Jarrod Radnichs Star Wars Fantasy Suite and his Pirates of the Carribean.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:20:39 AM
At 8/9/2016 2:46:03 AM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
At 8/9/2016 2:24:44 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

I feel happy.

I can play this.
https://www.youtube.com...
And Jarrod Radnichs Star Wars Fantasy Suite and his Pirates of the Carribean.

That sounds much better than Fur Elise