Jump to topic:

Pets

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 4:54:28 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Has anyone ever owned a non-traditional pet? That would refer to any pets that are not cats, dogs, fish, lizards, ferrets, birds, snakes, geckos, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, hermit crabs, iguanas, bearded dragons, or rabbits?

I've always wanted to own a micro pig (before they were popular). I collected pig figurines when I was little.

I was watching a show on National Geographic the other day about exotic pets. Apparently a lot of people own SKUNKS as pets, and claim they're friendly and loving. Uh... thanks but no thanks.
President of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 5:55:46 PM
At 7/11/2016 4:54:28 PM, Danielle wrote:
Has anyone ever owned a non-traditional pet? That would refer to any pets that are not cats, dogs, fish, lizards, ferrets, birds, snakes, geckos, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, hermit crabs, iguanas, bearded dragons, or rabbits?

I've always wanted to own a micro pig (before they were popular). I collected pig figurines when I was little.

I was watching a show on National Geographic the other day about exotic pets. Apparently a lot of people own SKUNKS as pets, and claim they're friendly and loving. Uh... thanks but no thanks.

Yeah skunks do make good pets if you get them de-scented (there is a way to stop their "spraying" feature).

My next door neighbor at my summer house in North Carolina had a pet fox and another person I knew up there had a pet raccoon. I played with the fox almost every summer and want one myself so bad - they are awesome. As for the raccoon, it was crazy seeing how they put their thumbs to good use. They're really smart and super playful if you raise it yourself while it's still young.

My dream pet though is a F1 Savannah. Those animals are sooooo cool. They're expensive though, so that won't happen for a few more years.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 6:17:24 PM

Sheep and goats

Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 9:03:29 PM

Yes. I am a proud owner of a hissing cockroach.

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2016 11:19:04 PM

AI WANT AH DANGOH
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 1:12:24 AM
At 7/11/2016 9:03:29 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Hm, that's not a very nice way to refer to your GF.

Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 2:30:21 AM
At 7/12/2016 12:22:15 AM, Danielle wrote:

Howcome?

I wanted one due to the death of my guinea pig.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2016 2:37:06 AM
At 7/12/2016 1:12:24 AM, Emilrose wrote:

Hm, that's not a very nice way to refer to your GF.

lol

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:20:45 AM
I have a pet so outside the realms of expectation, even myself had difficulty coming to terms to its nature. I will not say what it is, but what it is, is the only thing worth living for. My pet is not a pet, but better stated a companion that will follow me to Heaven or Hell. She is female and understands English fluently. She goes everywhere I go. If a store says no pets allowed, we ignore it and nobody makes a fuss. My pet has powers beyond imagination, and has been keeping me safe from things too phantasmal to discuss. With her beside me I have become invinsible to common tragedies. I cannot imagine walking a day without her.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:44:24 PM

Pigs can be good pets until they grow up. FYI there is no such thing as a "micro" pig.

Closest I've come to non-traditional is my GF's mice, which smelled awful and she only had for a few months before they got adopted.

I don't think exotic pets are ethical, unless you have a huge amount of time, energy, and competence to dedicate, e.g. you are a well run zoo. I also just wouldn't trust a non-domesticated animal. Even animals which have been bred for domestication over hundreds-plus years are unpredictable.