Jump to topic:

Opinions

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 6:31:01 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Opinions. Everyone has one. Whether you're "opinion-shy" or not, at one point you no doubt let it slip out. But how does that go? Well, there's always a general guideline (this is the internet, after all). You state your opinion, using evidence if you want, and then the denizens of the internet tell you how wrong you are and that you should kill yourself. I'm sure "most" of us have encountered opposition to our opinions, as well as those who agree with them. But when it comes to opinions there are so many choices of what to do with them. Do you share them, pretend you agree with someone, hide them, or maybe even lie just to antagonize people?

So, do you find yourself expressing your opinions a lot? Under what circumstances do you find yourself not expressing your opinion? Have you ever hid your opinion or lied about it to prevent being attacked or disliked? Do you find people having a tendency to agree or disagree with your opinions? What's the worst amount of flak you have ever gotten for expressing an opinion? What are your most extreme opinions? Which of your opinions do you find people agree with most or disagree with most? Have you ever attacked someone for their opinions? Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 6:37:18 AM
At 7/23/2016 6:31:01 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Opinions. Everyone has one. Whether you're "opinion-shy" or not, at one point you no doubt let it slip out. But how does that go? Well, there's always a general guideline (this is the internet, after all). You state your opinion, using evidence if you want, and then the denizens of the internet tell you how wrong you are and that you should kill yourself. I'm sure "most" of us have encountered opposition to our opinions, as well as those who agree with them. But when it comes to opinions there are so many choices of what to do with them. Do you share them, pretend you agree with someone, hide them, or maybe even lie just to antagonize people?

So, do you find yourself expressing your opinions a lot? Under what circumstances do you find yourself not expressing your opinion? Have you ever hid your opinion or lied about it to prevent being attacked or disliked? Do you find people having a tendency to agree or disagree with your opinions? What's the worst amount of flak you have ever gotten for expressing an opinion? What are your most extreme opinions? Which of your opinions do you find people agree with most or disagree with most? Have you ever attacked someone for their opinions? Discuss.

To some level I only give my opinion if I see some good coming of it. There are times when it's pointless (when someone is so wrong that they discredit themselves, for example). There are times when it causes more harm then good (trying to convince someone who holds an emotionally grounded opinion). Then there are times when undermining a person with pernicious influence becomes necessary. There are also times when someone is open to genuine debate and a change in opinion if their wrong. But I think that, overall, the best reason to give your opinion is to have it challenged. If you keep quiet too often, if you don't have to defend yourself, you grow arrogant and your faculties of reason go to rust.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 2:47:41 PM
My opinion is that kids who fail overall at school should be kicked out of school.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 6:28:45 PM
At 7/23/2016 2:47:41 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:
My opinion is that kids who fail overall at school should be kicked out of school.

How "Canadian" of you.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 6:57:49 PM
At 7/23/2016 6:28:45 PM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 7/23/2016 2:47:41 PM, HeavenlyPanda wrote:

How "Canadian" of you.

No, it's how "Asian" of I. You seem in need of a booting out of school.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 6:59:10 PM

-Don't usually express my religious views outside debate or in the masjid, not out of shyness, mostly cause I find little reason to (Took one of my friends almost 3 years to find out I was Muslim.)

-Since my political views are strongly bound by my religious views, that also goes quite silent, of course unless in policy debate.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 11:35:09 PM
So, do you find yourself expressing your opinions a lot? Under what circumstances do you find yourself not expressing your opinion?

I simply post on the topics that interest me and which I have some knowledge about. I avoid discussing something I'm not interested in, indifferent to or unfamiliar with.

Have you ever hid your opinion or lied about it to prevent being attacked or disliked?

No. If I have an opinion about something, I always express it. I sometimes just share my views without engaging in debates unless I feel strongly about something. However, I always try to back up my claims with reasonable arguments.

Do you find people having a tendency to agree or disagree with your opinions?

Usually, they agree or politely disagree. Since I've been participating on a number of forums and social networks for years, there were a few occasions when my claims were met not only with criticism but also with downright hostility and name-calling.

What's the worst amount of flak you have ever gotten for expressing an opinion?

One woman I was debating on two forums and Facebook (that debate soon became a personal drama and a flame war) dedicated more than half of her blog to me. She kept writing long-winded essays in which she kept calling me vile names. I found her creative writing very entertaining.

What are your most extreme opinions? Which of your opinions do you find people agree with most or disagree with most?

It's hard for me to say what my most extreme opinions are. I'm rather moderate though I can get passionate about the topics that interest me. It's usually politics but it might even be some philosophical issue.

Have you ever attacked someone for their opinions?

I used to be more belligerent than now. As you wrote, everyone has an opinion. Opinions are like ***holes. And they change. Just two years ago I had slightly different views on politics than I have now. Experience verifies most of our opinions. On most issues, I feel like: "I think this but on the other hand..." The world is not black and white. I can be sarcastic and provocative if someone makes absolutely stupid claims or doesn't back them up but sometimes a person who has a different view can also have a point.
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 2:10:59 AM

So, do you find yourself expressing your opinions a lot?
Of course.
Under what circumstances do you find yourself not expressing your opinion?
When a large number of people hearing/reading it, or a small number of people I prefer to maintain good relationships with, will be offended by it. That's why I'm more critical of the Abrahamic religions IRL than on DDO, and I'm less critical of feminism or other new forms of leftism IRL than on DDO. I'm also more comfortable expressing certain opinions on DDO than on Hong Kong sites, which explains why, ironically, I prefer talking about the politics of my own city here than there.
Have you ever hid your opinion or lied about it to prevent being attacked or disliked?
Do you find people having a tendency to agree or disagree with your opinions?
Both happen?
What's the worst amount of flak you have ever gotten for expressing an opinion?
Not a lot. If it ever gets a significant amount of flak, it must be on DDO, because people IRL just tend to be more polite.
What are your most extreme opinions?
I consider myself far-left on issues like education and environment, so that would be my most extreme opinions, probably.
Which of your opinions do you find people agree with most or disagree with most?
My opinions on education probably. My political ideals (perfectionism) and moral views (virtue ethics) are not terribly popular either.
Have you ever attacked someone for their opinions? Discuss.
No, I prefer rational discussion. If you cannot discuss an issue with another person without either side resorting to attacks, then it's not worth discussing the issue with that person.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...