Jump to topic:

Embarrassing highschool essays

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 5:24:02 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
So many cringe worthy sentences, but this one takes the cake: ". Moreover, she portrays true love as something so awe-inspiring that ignorance of its possibility - a life blind to the wonder it radiates -"

Dylan Catlow
Amy Duncan
Senior IB Literature
12/14/13
Word Count: 1046
The Tide of Life

The poems presented in "Selected Poetry of Wislawa Szymborska" often employ drastic and sudden tonal shifts which communicate conflicting messages and perspectives. By incorporating these into her poems, Szymborska achieves a level of depth that literal interpretation and straightforward explanation could never account for, and endows upon them a level of complexity which transcends the possibility of simple (and not shallow) analysis of her work. In many of her poems, the last line clashes with preceding themes and assertions she had presented, confounding any premature grasp of the thesis or understanding of her intentions the reader might have been gathering. In addition, she uses style elements and literary devices (particularly repetition) as a vehicle for expression, using them to better frame the ideas she contrasts while adding depth to the conclusions she reaches. By offering perspectives only to tear them down, invalidate them and entertain the notion of their opposite, she suggests that truth - the kind that"s worth knowing - cannot be tied down to one definition. In reflection of this, her poems don"t typically attempt to answer (in an absolute sense) the questions they raise. In three of her poems -- Tortures, Vietnam and True Love -- she uses twists to to convey deeper meaning, from emphasizing her fondness with a sudden twist in a last line, to celebrating knowledge retained within - and as well as - the ambiguity encompassing it.

In her poem "Tortures", Szymborska examines man in relation to his environment. She begins each stanza with "Nothing has changed", and keeps consistent with the thought for the first two stanzas, citing ways in which man has not changed since his arrival. For example, she writes "the body is susceptible to pain, it must eat and breathe air and sleep" (torture 2-4). In the second stanza, she lists further examples of man"s perennial characteristics, but ends it with the observation that " it's just the earth that's grown smaller, and whatever happens seems right on the other side of the wall" (torture 12-13). Here she makes a distinction between man and the environment in which he lives... that man"s identity remains unchanged within the changing world around it. She contends that despite all the improvements and developments humanity has achieved, the fundamentals of human existence are no different than they always were and always will be. This theme is captured perfectly in lines seventeen to eighteen: "Maybe just the manners, ceremonies, dances. Yet the movement of the hands in protecting the head is the same. The body writhes, jerks and tries to pull away." In the last stanza, she asserts that man"s soul is meant to be free from the concrete existence his body imposes upon it: "Amid these landscapes traipses the soul, disappears, comes back, draws nearer, moves away, alien to itself, elusive, at times certain, at others uncertain of its own existence, while the body is and is and is and has no place of its own (torture 23-30). One can interpret from this a sense of man"s incompatible duality, that his body prevents his soul from fulfilling its purpose, and that man exists in isolation from the world and from the facts which comprise it. She uses repetition - "is and is and is" - to emphasize the body"s limitations pushing back on the relentless attempts of the soul to escape them, and the unending torture which the soul endures in the process.

In the poem Vietnam, Szymborska applies much of the same techniques to assert that knowledge is precious because it persists through the chaos of the world in which it is understood, but that it is unnecessary to take a stand on issues where no such stand is needed. The woman being interrogated responds that she does not know the answers to any of the questions being asked of her but for one - that "those" are her children. She claims that she does not know her name or where she is from, but she is able to hold on to that one truth through all that she has undergone. The poem"s use of repetition and eventual twist gives the simple "yes" answer meaning and impact beyond that which could have been achieved otherwise, and the poem"s simple structure serves as a metaphor for the message it was intended to convey: that simplicity is profound, because it exists in defiance of the chaotic world around it.

In the poem True Love, Szymborska uses a tonal shift in the last stanza to emphasis her belief that true love is something truly worth fighting for. Throughout the poem she lists love"s flaws and reasons to be wary of it. For example, she states "Placed on the same pedestal for no good reason, drawn randomly from millions but convinced it had to happen this way - in reward for what? For nothing" (true love 5-8). In addition, she expresses her contempt for those who seem to have found it: "Look at the happy couple. Couldn't they at least try to hide it, fake a little depression for their friends' sake? Listen to them laughing - its an insult"(13-16). She does all of this to place true love higher than she could otherwise when she later professes her reverence for it in the stanza: "Let the people who never find true love keep saying that there's no such thing. Their faith will make it easier for them to live and die"( 26-28). By outlining what true love is up against, by acknowledging its many shortcomings and the pain it propagates, she implies its essence is something so profoundly magnificent that it should still win her admiration and endorsement. Moreover, she portrays true love as something so awe-inspiring that ignorance of its possibility - a life blind to the wonder it radiates - is preferable to the regret one would bear from never having sought it or the knowledge that one had never reached it.

Szymborska's use of tonal shifts and repetition give her poems added meaning and complexity. They expand and develop the ideas she explores, permitting them greater contexts in which to apply, and impart on the reader and open-ended and limitless outlook for them to contemplate.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2016 5:30:25 PM
Oh god:

Dylan Catlow
9/30/13
Euro Lit Period 5
Stewart
The Life Never Lived

What is the moral worth of a man who denies any such moral worth is possible? The play Philoctetes presents such a man -- a man who embodies the answer "none." At first, we pity Philoctetes, who is the subject of manipulation and wrongdoing out of his control. But as the story progresses, we see our pity diminish as the man whom we felt compassion for surrender to his plight, sure of his inability to better his situation. The moment Philoctetes chooses not to improve his condition is the moment he becomes unworthy of compassion for his difficult circumstances, and worthy of it for the reasons from which they are derived. The play is a tragedy because Philoctetes continues to exist in a state of perpetual terror, convinced that he is unable to determine his own destiny and convinced the destiny written for him is one with sorrow around every corner. He pities himself for the situation he creates and fails to learn the lesson of free will from which all greatness and all rectitude are possible.
Philoctetes consigns himself to a fate of damnation and makes no effort to change its course. He assumes the role of an impotent spectator and, in doing so, contributes to a needless suffering made possible only by his conviction that he is powerless to alleviate it. He knows that going to Troy will benefit him, yet will not make the trip at first, claiming "let me suffer what I must suffer"(1397). He is the victim, not of circumstances beyond his control, but of those he allows to persist. He is afraid of the future and what it holds, and substitutes supernatural responsibility for the volition he is too afraid to bear. He would rather suffer than discover his capacity to improve his condition, and chooses to maintain his suffering rather than acknowledge human responsibility and realize the guilt that he had rejected his.
Just as Philoctetes denies any power over the course of his life, so he holds the future as a thing outside the realm of prediction and direction; a capricious and mysterious danger to be avoided, out of reach from the free will which he denies. He aspires to stagnation, for the familiar requires of him neither action nor responsibility. He flees from the future and clings to the present, claiming "It is not the sting of wrongs past but what I must look for in wrongs to come" (1359). He would rather suffer the known than risk the unknown, and passes up the opportunity for greatness in favor of a life unworthy of preservation. When he finally decides to go to Troy, he does not do so on his "own will" (1332), but estimates that it is the destiny the Gods (Hercules) have chosen for him. He does not seek the "cure of your cruel sickness" own his own quest for his own reasons, but as commanded by Hercules. Hercules" demands provide him with an escape from responsibility and direction to a future he feels powerless to shape.
Philoctetes" rejection of his free will robs him of the chance to achieve happiness, as any accomplishment achieved would not fall on his will nor effort in bringing it about, but rather those of the fates. He thinks he is a pawn and not a player, and precludes for himself feelings of accomplishment and greatness which are only possible for those who acknowledge their will and take pride in a success for which they would feel responsible. He goes to Troy and achieves greatness in the eyes of those who see in him in a light he does not grant to himself i.e. one of free will.
This play has no happy ending just as it has no happy beginning, for Philoctetes does not change. Therein lies the tragedy...he remains as he was before; his decision to go to Troy is no less predicated on feelings of predeterminism than his initial refusal. The only thing which compels him to change his mind -- and what at first glance may seem like a change of heart -- is a change in what he feels his destiny is, not whether it exists. He still thinks he is bound to the fate prescribed to him and, in an effort to escape free will and deny the responsibility it entails, he is most responsible for the consequences that follow as a result.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:02:24 PM
I'm writing an essay for summer work XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2016 5:58:38 PM
Do debates count as essays? It's usually 25-28 pages a debate.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:05:18 PM
At 8/1/2016 5:08:53 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
what is embarrassing about highschool essays?

I'm assuming since you are pretty much forced to write an essay, much of the time you have to BS your way through it. And this creates some hilarious embarrassing statements.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 5:08:11 PM
At 8/2/2016 5:05:18 PM, n7 wrote:

I'm assuming since you are pretty much forced to write an essay, much of the time you have to BS your way through it. And this creates some hilarious embarrassing statements.

still can't relate
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2016 8:56:20 PM
At 8/2/2016 5:08:11 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

still can't relate

The thread is a place for people to share any embarrassing highschool essays they might have written. I wasn't saying that highschool essays are inherently embarrassing or that everyone has them.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 4:15:17 AM
I'm just glad I don't have any of those. We only need to write essays in exam papers, and those are just cookie-cutter essays where everyone follows the same format, so they simply aren't remarkable/original enough to be embarrassing XD
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 11:55:12 AM
At 8/4/2016 8:56:20 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

still can't relate

The thread is a place for people to share any embarrassing highschool essays they might have written. I wasn't saying that highschool essays are inherently embarrassing or that everyone has them.

I have this really cringy essay in Italian which was supposed to be some type of essay about how women's rights have evolved over the years. I'd post it but it's in Italian, I don't think you'd want to see some random Italian gibberish.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 4:28:34 PM
At 8/5/2016 11:55:12 AM, foxxhajti wrote:

still can't relate

I have this really cringy essay in Italian which was supposed to be some type of essay about how women's rights have evolved over the years. I'd post it but it's in Italian, I don't think you'd want to see some random Italian gibberish.

You could use google translate, but only if you do want to post it.
foxxhajti
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2016 6:17:31 PM
At 8/5/2016 4:28:34 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 8/5/2016 11:55:12 AM, foxxhajti wrote:

still can't relate

You could use google translate, but only if you do want to post it.

Well, google translate is crap oh gosh. (This is just one paragraph that I translated with it)

In some ancient cultures, we can find some cultures where women were regarded as adequate clothing, for example, the Nigerian culture and the Egyptian. In contrast, the companies' not treated with dignity 'they deserve, were more' numerous. In ancient Greece, women were treated as if they had a personality 'legal. They were still considered the property 'of men (fathers and husbands). Meanwhile, in ancient Rome, the women had normal legal privileges, however, were not entitled to vote, could not be soldiers and could not be in command. In the early twentieth century began to rise of movements that give support to women. These movements have helped with the abolition of slavery ', rights for women in general and helped for the rights concerning the vote. Before sorgimento of these movements, however, we can see that the people had already thirst for equal 'rights and equal treatment between persons, that we can see it in some literary works etc. such as "La Locandiera" by Carlo Goldoni in which we can see the woman (Mirandolina) fight misogynism Knight, but we can also see how the woman here in a certain position of power.

I'll just forget about it xD
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello