Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Your all time favorite works of fiction?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 6:56:48 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
What are your all time favorite works of fiction? Why? What did you like about it? What made it stick with you?

Of all time... Anything from the Hardy Boys, to Harry Potter... The Divine Comedy to Da Vinci Code... Lord of the Rings to Lord of the Flies... 1984 to A Clockwork Orange... The Idiot to The Man Who Knew Too Much... The Sun Also Rises, to the Grapes of Wrath... Great Gatsby to Great Expectations... Blood Meridian to The Human Stain.... Pride and Prejudice to Atonement, etc. etc. etc.

And so that you know... there is no obligation to hold out high brow literary works of fiction like Winter's Tale, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, Ulysses, Finnegan's Wake, etc.

Mass market fiction can be really good, like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, or Goldfinch, and personally I'd take either of those over anything written by James Joyce or William Faulkner any day. That's not to deride Joyce or Faulkner, so much as it is a reflection of my dislike of how they write. However, there are some works of literary fiction that I really like too... like The Brothers Karamazov, or Dead Souls, or Heart of Darkness.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 6:59:27 PM
At 7/31/2016 6:56:48 PM, YYW wrote:
What are your all time favorite works of fiction? Why? What did you like about it? What made it stick with you?

Of all time... Anything from the Hardy Boys, to Harry Potter... The Divine Comedy to Da Vinci Code... Lord of the Rings to Lord of the Flies... 1984 to A Clockwork Orange... The Idiot to The Man Who Knew Too Much... The Sun Also Rises, to the Grapes of Wrath... Great Gatsby to Great Expectations... Blood Meridian to The Human Stain.... Pride and Prejudice to Atonement, etc. etc. etc.

And so that you know... there is no obligation to hold out high brow literary works of fiction like Winter's Tale, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, Ulysses, Finnegan's Wake, etc.

Mass market fiction can be really good, like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, or Goldfinch, and personally I'd take either of those over anything written by James Joyce or William Faulkner any day. That's not to deride Joyce or Faulkner, so much as it is a reflection of my dislike of how they write. However, there are some works of literary fiction that I really like too... like The Brothers Karamazov, or Dead Souls, or Heart of Darkness.

My favorite work of fiction is the Communist Manifesto.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 7:13:02 PM
The Scary Stories to Read in the Dark series is really, really good, and a lot of that comes from Stephen Gammell's fantastic art.

Another early favorite is the Wardstone Chronicles.

Also S. (http://bit.ly...) is really really awesome. I don't think I've ever seen any other book take that idea to that level, or even had it done that well.
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 7:19:10 PM
Quite generic but 1984 really is an amazing read. I only read it recently and wrote an essay about the themes present in the book. I thought at first writing an essay would make me hate it but it only make me love the book more as I dove into the background of Orwell in relation to the book.

Another recommended read is "A Study in Scarlet", the first Sherlock Holmes book. I'm only part way through it and I already realize how awful the TV and Movie interpretations have portrayed him. It's got a slower pace to it than other interpretations while retaining Holmes' quick fire deductions.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 7:37:15 PM
At 7/31/2016 7:13:02 PM, Torton wrote:
The Scary Stories to Read in the Dark series is really, really good, and a lot of that comes from Stephen Gammell's fantastic art.
Huh, apparently it's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

There was also this big anthology book that I used to check out a lot in my school library. It had a bunch of accounts and in depth information on pretty much everything that makes up the "paranormal scene." From cryptids like Bigfoot and the Mothman to UFO's and aliens to serial killers like Jack the Ripper. Really cool stuff, I don't remember what is was called, though.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 9:44:54 PM
At 7/31/2016 7:19:10 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
Quite generic but 1984 really is an amazing read. I only read it recently and wrote an essay about the themes present in the book. I thought at first writing an essay would make me hate it but it only make me love the book more as I dove into the background of Orwell in relation to the book.

Another recommended read is "A Study in Scarlet", the first Sherlock Holmes book. I'm only part way through it and I already realize how awful the TV and Movie interpretations have portrayed him. It's got a slower pace to it than other interpretations while retaining Holmes' quick fire deductions.

I have a huge book thats a compilation of all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, its AWESOME. Best series ever
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2016 9:46:26 PM

Cloudsplitter was amazing. best book I've ever read. I never promised you a rose garden is magnificent. Its a beautiful book
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 2:11:04 AM
I really liked novels like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Alex Rider, Fairy Tail, and Hunger Games

For single books, I enjoyed books like Fahrenheit 451, Legend, Past Sins, Left To Tell, The Martian, Into Thin Air, and the Golden Compass (currently reading).
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 3:57:28 AM

The Sun Also Rises is definitely a favorite of mine, too. Favorite Hemingway, for sure.

Yeah, I'm with you on Joyce and Faulkner. Lots of great literature out there, too much in fact -- reading Joyce/Faulkner is a missed opportunity.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 4:03:19 AM
At 8/1/2016 3:57:28 AM, FourTrouble wrote:

The Sun Also Rises is definitely a favorite of mine, too. Favorite Hemingway, for sure.

I've always liked Hemingway, too.

Yeah, I'm with you on Joyce and Faulkner. Lots of great literature out there, too much in fact -- reading Joyce/Faulkner is a missed opportunity.

I agree. The opportunity cost of reading Joyce or Faulkner is too high to justify doing so.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 5:04:11 AM
In no particular order--The Book Thief, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Harry Potter series, Ender's Game, Mistborn trilogy, To Kill a Mockingbird.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 11:07:58 AM

I didn't like the Lord of the Rings much... it felt too much like a fairy tale to have much appeal.

I liked the Da Vinci Code, though I preferred Inferno.

The Divine Comedy is excellent, if you appreciate that sort of thing.

Harry Potter... meh. It was good writing, but I'm not a fan of fantasy.

I didn't like Great Expectations either. My favorite work of Dickens's is A Tale of Two Cities.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 11:14:42 AM
The Divine Comedy, Deception Point, Inferno, Krishna Udayasankar's The Aryavarta Chronicles, Angels and Demons, Night Watch.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 11:30:56 AM
At 8/1/2016 2:11:04 AM, Vaarka wrote:

The His Dark Materials trilogy (i.e. the series of which the Golden Compass (Northern Lights) is the first novel) is certainly interesting... one of the few works of fantasy I have not been bored by.

If you like it, you should also read Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch trilogy, and the last two books, Last Watch and New Watch.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 8:32:29 PM
At 7/31/2016 6:59:27 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

We get it, you're a libertarian.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 8:33:34 PM
The Foundation Universe (robot series, empire series, and foundation series), Neuromancer, Omega force, The Black Fleet trilogy, The Dresden Files series, Ready Player One, Hyperion (haven't finished it yet, but it's still damn good).
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 8:34:52 PM
At 8/1/2016 8:32:29 PM, n7 wrote:
At 7/31/2016 6:59:27 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

We get it, you're a libertarian.

Thought I should make it clear :)
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 10:12:59 PM

Armor
Courtship rite
Nightfall
Heechee series
Biting the sun
Dragonriders of perm series
Clan of the cavebear series
The gods themselves
Lots of science fiction i cant recall right now
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 10:19:15 PM
At 8/1/2016 10:12:59 PM, janesix wrote:

Armor
Courtship rite
Nightfall
Heechee series
Biting the sun
The gods themselves
How is the god's themselves compared to Asimov's other work? I've heard that it was one of his worst novels from some and one of his best from others.

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2016 10:27:19 PM
At 8/1/2016 10:19:15 PM, n7 wrote:

Armor
Courtship rite
Nightfall
Heechee series
Biting the sun
The gods themselves
How is the god's themselves compared to Asimov's other work? I've heard that it was one of his worst novels from some and one of his best from others.
Nightfall and gods themselves are my favorites. I pretty much hate the rest of his stuff. Its been a long time since ive read any science fiction though. Im not sure why. Just cant get into the new stuff.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:48:58 AM

Armor
Courtship rite
Nightfall
Heechee series
Biting the sun
The gods themselves

Are these all part of a series?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:49:33 AM
At 8/1/2016 8:33:34 PM, n7 wrote:
The Foundation Universe (robot series, empire series, and foundation series), Neuromancer, Omega force, The Black Fleet trilogy, The Dresden Files series, Ready Player One, Hyperion (haven't finished it yet, but it's still damn good).

What was The Dresden Files about?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:56:39 AM

Foundation and Dresden -- very good choices.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:58:27 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:48:58 AM, YYW wrote:

Armor
Courtship rite
Nightfall
Heechee series
Biting the sun
The gods themselves

Some are series which i noted, the rest are not. They are all science fiction except for clan of the cave bear.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:59:07 AM
At 8/2/2016 4:58:27 AM, janesix wrote:
At 8/2/2016 4:48:58 AM, YYW wrote:

Armor
Courtship rite
Nightfall
Heechee series
Biting the sun
The gods themselves

Some are series which i noted, the rest are not. They are all science fiction except for clan of the cave bear.

Ah very cool
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 6:01:27 AM
The Grapes of Wrath is still probably #1. Its ending is by far the best I've ever read, and the underlying message of hope despite being such a bleak tale is conveyed beautifully. It also had a good deal to do with me turning into a liberal, or, at least, I become a liberal at around the same time.

Close second is the ASOIAF series. Best book series I've ever read, far and away. Vivid world, mostly brilliant characters, a grand and nearly-perfect plot unparalleled in scope and depth... *gushes* The TV show is also amazing, and I highly recommend it.

A distant third (but still a fantastic read) is the manga Deadman Wonderland. The art is beautiful, but what really carries it through is the characters, or specifically one character. It has, far and away, the best antagonist of all time.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 6:03:35 AM

What are yours? I know a few of 'em, but not all.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 4:59:28 PM
At 8/2/2016 4:49:33 AM, YYW wrote:

What was The Dresden Files about?

It's about Harry Dresden, a wizard in modern day Chicago getting into all sorts of trouble. The author, Jim Butcher has created a fantastic world. He wrote a short story called "Vignette" to provide a bit of a taste for his books.

http://www.jim-butcher.com...

SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 7:11:36 PM
The Audacity of Hope
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...