Total Posts:92|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Favourite place in the world

missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
AlyceTheElectrician
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2016 10:52:21 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Yes, I have two, Paris and Dubai.

I love Paris because, my experience there was amazing. It was really nice to experience the expression of honest art and excellence and lights and it was just awesome, loved every moment while I was there. Paris inspires me to appreciate history and continue to be honest and keep learning.

I love Dubai, because it's an interesting clash of modern and tradition, and they mesh so beautifully together, and the intricate details in the architecture is wonderful, I like to call it the Emerald city because the colorful glass of the sky scrapers makes the city glisten, loved every moment while I was there. Dubai inspires me to dream big.

I planning a Tokyo Japan trip next year, I am very excited to experience Japan.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 3:59:07 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/2/2016 10:52:21 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:
Yes, I have two, Paris and Dubai.

I love Paris because, my experience there was amazing. It was really nice to experience the expression of honest art and excellence and lights and it was just awesome, loved every moment while I was there. Paris inspires me to appreciate history and continue to be honest and keep learning.

I totally agree. One of the best cities I've visited too :)

I love Dubai, because it's an interesting clash of modern and tradition, and they mesh so beautifully together, and the intricate details in the architecture is wonderful, I like to call it the Emerald city because the colorful glass of the sky scrapers makes the city glisten, loved every moment while I was there. Dubai inspires me to dream big.

Amazing!

I planning a Tokyo Japan trip next year, I am very excited to experience Japan.

Have fun :)
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 6:51:04 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 3:59:07 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:52:21 PM, AlyceTheElectrician wrote:
Yes, I have two, Paris and Dubai.

I love Paris because, my experience there was amazing. It was really nice to experience the expression of honest art and excellence and lights and it was just awesome, loved every moment while I was there. Paris inspires me to appreciate history and continue to be honest and keep learning.

I totally agree. One of the best cities I've visited too :)

Have either of you ever actually been to Paris? It's dirty, over-run by asain tourists who are incredibly rude, and you can't even use bathrooms unless you pay the shop-owner or utilize a public toilet in the middle of the roadways that are, in themselves, disgusting. I found the city to be incredibly dirty as well, one of the worst I've ever seen.

I love Dubai, because it's an interesting clash of modern and tradition, and they mesh so beautifully together, and the intricate details in the architecture is wonderful, I like to call it the Emerald city because the colorful glass of the sky scrapers makes the city glisten, loved every moment while I was there. Dubai inspires me to dream big.

Amazing!

I planning a Tokyo Japan trip next year, I am very excited to experience Japan.

Have fun :)
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:03:33 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I love Paris because, my experience there was amazing. It was really nice to experience the expression of honest art and excellence and lights and it was just awesome, loved every moment while I was there. Paris inspires me to appreciate history and continue to be honest and keep learning.

I totally agree. One of the best cities I've visited too :)

Have either of you ever actually been to Paris? It's dirty, over-run by asain tourists who are incredibly rude, and you can't even use bathrooms unless you pay the shop-owner or utilize a public toilet in the middle of the roadways that are, in themselves, disgusting. I found the city to be incredibly dirty as well, one of the worst I've ever seen.

I've ACTUALLY been to Paris believe it or not. I'm not sure which part you went to but have you visited the art galleries (Le Louvre, Musee d'Orsay etc.)? The buildings itself are a work of art, plus the Bastille Opera House is just gorgeous! Le Saine, the lovely Parisian bakeries and cafes, the fountains (les jeux d'eau), the streets, the public gardens with its hundreds of flowers, also slightly random, but have you taken a good look at the Parisian sky? Such a beautiful colour during the hot summer days... The list goes on. There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me, which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality.

My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:12:51 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:03:33 PM, missmozart wrote:
I love Paris because, my experience there was amazing. It was really nice to experience the expression of honest art and excellence and lights and it was just awesome, loved every moment while I was there. Paris inspires me to appreciate history and continue to be honest and keep learning.

I totally agree. One of the best cities I've visited too :)

Have either of you ever actually been to Paris? It's dirty, over-run by asain tourists who are incredibly rude, and you can't even use bathrooms unless you pay the shop-owner or utilize a public toilet in the middle of the roadways that are, in themselves, disgusting. I found the city to be incredibly dirty as well, one of the worst I've ever seen.

I've ACTUALLY been to Paris believe it or not. I'm not sure which part you went to but have you visited the art galleries (Le Louvre, Musee d'Orsay etc.)?

Yes.

The buildings itself are a work of art, plus the Bastille Opera House is just gorgeous! Le Saine, the lovely Parisian bakeries and cafes, the fountains (les jeux d'eau), the streets, the public gardens with its hundreds of flowers, also slightly random, but have you taken a good look at the Parisian sky? Such a beautiful colour during the hot summer days... The list goes on.

Lol, yes. The *only* good thing about Paris are the tourist traps, but if you walk to the streets just a mile away from these sites you see nothing but trash in the streets and the air is certainly not crisp or fresh. Were you not overwhelmed by the massive amount of asain tourists pushing you? Were you not cognizant of the garbage you were stepping over in the main streets of the city? You're definitely over-romanticizing the city. How old were you when you went? I was just there 2 weeks ago.

There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!

No, I'm just a realist. I take in everything I see and it's, without a doubt, the dirtiest tourist city I've ever been to. They government takes good care of the actual tourist sites, such as the ones you listed, but you only need to walk a mile in any direction to see the nasty underbelly that the government doesn't care to clean up.

Perhaps this is just what I've taken from it because I actually walked the entire city rather than taking a tour that buses people to various sites, idk. All I know is that no shop-owners in the city allow tourists to use their restrooms unless you buy something or pay them, the asain tourists are amongst the rudest I've ever come across, the french waiters are short-tempered, and I distinctly remember stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the road curbs while being within walking distance of the Eiffel tower.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:13:29 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

I'd love to go to America :) even more now from reading your description. While mountain climbing isn't my favourite activity (though I don't mind it), when you get to the top, it's always worth it! Don't you think?

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me,

Is it just me or are men/boys these days so full of themselves? Lol!

which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality. My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

It's good to hear that you're very open-minded :) Enjoy!
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:19:33 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me, which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality.
Ah yes. I used to live in Berlin when my father was still in the military. Last time I visited was about two years ago and I'm still in love with the city. If I ever get a chance to visit again, I'll go in a heartbeat.

My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:24:27 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:13:29 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

I'd love to go to America :) even more now from reading your description. While mountain climbing isn't my favourite activity (though I don't mind it), when you get to the top, it's always worth it! Don't you think?

Be careful what you wish for. We have some fantastic tourist sites but generally lack any and all culture. I *specifically* enjoy the Appalachian mountains, where the town is located, because it has been untouched by commercial interests. All around the mountain range lands are being destroyed though for coal. I enjoy the town specifically because it's an old town that it still small enough to the point where after spending a few months there you can start waving to people in the street because you've seen them so many times before. I like that, it's a sense of community that is lost on our generation.

There are many good places in America, but pick and choose wisely.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me,

Is it just me or are men/boys these days so full of themselves? Lol!

It's merely a fact. The girls there loved the fact that I was an American guy (for some of them I was the first they've ever met) and, due to that, I was showered with attention and adornment whenever I'd go to the town taverns. It was highly enjoyable and the women there were quite beautiful (I'm a sucker for blonde hair/blue eyes). So, this is not me being full of myself, but rather me just stating facts and my enjoyment of that additional attention.

which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality. My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

It's good to hear that you're very open-minded :) Enjoy!

I've yet to see or meet anyone who is more open-minded than myself without being crazy. It's a very fine line to dance.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:27:06 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:19:33 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me, which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality.
Ah yes. I used to live in Berlin when my father was still in the military. Last time I visited was about two years ago and I'm still in love with the city. If I ever get a chance to visit again, I'll go in a heartbeat.

Likewise. Depending on who becomes our next President I'm considering switching my legal studies focus from personal injury and family matters to international law and then finding work in Germany. I could easily raise a family there, and would actually probably enjoy it more-so than if I raised a family here in America. There's no racial tension between white and black people there, the currency is stable and they have the strongest economy in Europe.

My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:27:20 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I've ACTUALLY been to Paris believe it or not. I'm not sure which part you went to but have you visited the art galleries (Le Louvre, Musee d'Orsay etc.)?

Yes.

Amazing right?

The buildings itself are a work of art, plus the Bastille Opera House is just gorgeous! Le Saine, the lovely Parisian bakeries and cafes, the fountains (les jeux d'eau), the streets, the public gardens with its hundreds of flowers, also slightly random, but have you taken a good look at the Parisian sky? Such a beautiful colour during the hot summer days... The list goes on.

Lol, yes. The *only* good thing about Paris are the tourist traps, but if you walk to the streets just a mile away from these sites you see nothing but trash in the streets and the air is certainly not crisp or fresh. Were you not overwhelmed by the massive amount of asain tourists pushing you?

Now that I think of it, I could have been the one pushing others, lol. Just kidding, I'm way too polite to do anything of that sort :P You see, whenever I'm on holidays, it's sort of like, let's visit three museums a day so we're always running around.

Were you not cognizant of the garbage you were stepping over in the main streets of the city? You're definitely over-romanticizing the city.

Perhaps...

How old were you when you went? I was just there 2 weeks ago. P

I was actually pretty old, I just turned thirteen.


There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!

No, I'm just a realist. I take in everything I see and it's, without a doubt, the dirtiest tourist city I've ever been to. They government takes good care of the actual tourist sites, such as the ones you listed, but you only need to walk a mile in any direction to see the nasty underbelly that the government doesn't care to clean up.

I wonder why I didn't notice (I'm being genuine not sarcastic).


Perhaps this is just what I've taken from it because I actually walked the entire city rather than taking a tour that buses people to various sites, idk. All I know is that no shop-owners in the city allow tourists to use their restrooms unless you buy something or pay them, the asain tourists are amongst the rudest I've ever come across, the french waiters are short-tempered, and I distinctly remember stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the road curbs while being within walking distance of the Eiffel tower.

Maybe it's because of the recent terrorist attacks going on in the country and the government don't have time to worry about issues such as the ones mentioned? Je sais pas aussi...
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:31:10 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:27:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:19:33 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me, which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality.
Ah yes. I used to live in Berlin when my father was still in the military. Last time I visited was about two years ago and I'm still in love with the city. If I ever get a chance to visit again, I'll go in a heartbeat.

Likewise. Depending on who becomes our next President I'm considering switching my legal studies focus from personal injury and family matters to international law and then finding work in Germany. I could easily raise a family there, and would actually probably enjoy it more-so than if I raised a family here in America. There's no racial tension between white and black people there, the currency is stable and they have the strongest economy in Europe.
From what my parents have told me, it's the easiest place we've lived in comparison to Okinawa and several American states. If you got the chance to move there then I'd highly recommend it.

My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:31:36 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:24:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:13:29 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

I'd love to go to America :) even more now from reading your description. While mountain climbing isn't my favourite activity (though I don't mind it), when you get to the top, it's always worth it! Don't you think?

Be careful what you wish for. We have some fantastic tourist sites but generally lack any and all culture. I *specifically* enjoy the Appalachian mountains, where the town is located, because it has been untouched by commercial interests. All around the mountain range lands are being destroyed though for coal. I enjoy the town specifically because it's an old town that it still small enough to the point where after spending a few months there you can start waving to people in the street because you've seen them so many times before. I like that, it's a sense of community that is lost on our generation.

Hmm. I guess.

There are many good places in America, but pick and choose wisely.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me,

Is it just me or are men/boys these days so full of themselves? Lol!

It's merely a fact. The girls there loved the fact that I was an American guy (for some of them I was the first they've ever met) and, due to that, I was showered with attention and adornment whenever I'd go to the town taverns. It was highly enjoyable and the women there were quite beautiful (I'm a sucker for blonde hair/blue eyes). So, this is not me being full of myself, but rather me just stating facts and my enjoyment of that additional attention.


Okay, whatever you say :)

which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality. My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

It's good to hear that you're very open-minded :) Enjoy!

I've yet to see or meet anyone who is more open-minded than myself without being crazy. It's a very fine line to dance.

Great that you're confident about your virtues :P
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:39:07 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:27:20 PM, missmozart wrote:
I've ACTUALLY been to Paris believe it or not. I'm not sure which part you went to but have you visited the art galleries (Le Louvre, Musee d'Orsay etc.)?

Yes.

Amazing right?

The sites themselves were quite breathtaking. I don't think the architecture tops some sites found in Italy, but it was certainly beautiful at some places.

The buildings itself are a work of art, plus the Bastille Opera House is just gorgeous! Le Saine, the lovely Parisian bakeries and cafes, the fountains (les jeux d'eau), the streets, the public gardens with its hundreds of flowers, also slightly random, but have you taken a good look at the Parisian sky? Such a beautiful colour during the hot summer days... The list goes on.

Lol, yes. The *only* good thing about Paris are the tourist traps, but if you walk to the streets just a mile away from these sites you see nothing but trash in the streets and the air is certainly not crisp or fresh. Were you not overwhelmed by the massive amount of asain tourists pushing you?

Now that I think of it, I could have been the one pushing others, lol. Just kidding, I'm way too polite to do anything of that sort :P You see, whenever I'm on holidays, it's sort of like, let's visit three museums a day so we're always running around.

Okay. When did you go and how old were you? I'm thinking you just didn't see what I saw, although I highly doubt that because the trash was, quite literally, all around. There are psychological factors that could have blinded you from seeing what you didn't want to see, but idk - I literally was stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the curbs of the city streets while being within jogging distance of the Eiffel Tower. I don't understand how you didn't see this...

Were you not cognizant of the garbage you were stepping over in the main streets of the city? You're definitely over-romanticizing the city.

Perhaps...

How old were you when you went? I was just there 2 weeks ago. P

I was actually pretty old, I just turned thirteen.

Okay, you're really young. This is most likely a major factor in your over-romanticizing of the city. When you're in your mid-twenties, go back and tell me what you think, I believe your opinion will change drastically. If I was 13 when I visited I'd probably not have picked up on the nasty side either.

There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!

No, I'm just a realist. I take in everything I see and it's, without a doubt, the dirtiest tourist city I've ever been to. They government takes good care of the actual tourist sites, such as the ones you listed, but you only need to walk a mile in any direction to see the nasty underbelly that the government doesn't care to clean up.

I wonder why I didn't notice (I'm being genuine not sarcastic).

Most likely your age. You were too focused on the sites to notice the finer details. I'd have missed it too at that age. I'd love to hear your opinion ten years from now if you ever go back, I'm sure it'd change.

Perhaps this is just what I've taken from it because I actually walked the entire city rather than taking a tour that buses people to various sites, idk. All I know is that no shop-owners in the city allow tourists to use their restrooms unless you buy something or pay them, the asain tourists are amongst the rudest I've ever come across, the french waiters are short-tempered, and I distinctly remember stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the road curbs while being within walking distance of the Eiffel tower.

Maybe it's because of the recent terrorist attacks going on in the country and the government don't have time to worry about issues such as the ones mentioned? Je sais pas aussi...

Perhaps, I *was* there 3 days after the truck incident, but the garbage clean-up wouldn't have been affected by that.

Don't get me wrong, the sites are beautiful in themselves, but the actual city is gross and full of incredibly rude people.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:42:08 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Greer, Arizona

Most people have this skewed impression of Arizona that it's just this barren desert. However, we do have some pretty good forests. Payson may be a prime example of this, but I'm going to focus on Greer. It's a very small town and only has a population of about 40 - 60 people, but they rent cabins down there. Greer has an elevation of about 8,3000 ft and is much cooler than Phoenix.

The reason why I remember it so fondly is because I had a trip down there with my Kenpo instructor and fellow black belts during my junior year of high school. While we were there, we had to practice on top of one of Greer's tallest mountains to prepare for a competition at the end of the year. It was very difficult, but worth it 100%.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:47:45 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:31:36 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:24:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:13:29 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

I'd love to go to America :) even more now from reading your description. While mountain climbing isn't my favourite activity (though I don't mind it), when you get to the top, it's always worth it! Don't you think?

Be careful what you wish for. We have some fantastic tourist sites but generally lack any and all culture. I *specifically* enjoy the Appalachian mountains, where the town is located, because it has been untouched by commercial interests. All around the mountain range lands are being destroyed though for coal. I enjoy the town specifically because it's an old town that it still small enough to the point where after spending a few months there you can start waving to people in the street because you've seen them so many times before. I like that, it's a sense of community that is lost on our generation.

Hmm. I guess.

It's a huge problem. I guarantee that if you ask every American member on this site what the names of their next-door neighbors are, about 90% would say they don't know. We have lost any and all sense of community aside from in the rural areas or if a private neighborhood has a strong governing group that holds holiday events for the entire neighborhood.

That's also why I cherish that town, that sense of community is not lost yet up there.

There are many good places in America, but pick and choose wisely.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me,

Is it just me or are men/boys these days so full of themselves? Lol!

It's merely a fact. The girls there loved the fact that I was an American guy (for some of them I was the first they've ever met) and, due to that, I was showered with attention and adornment whenever I'd go to the town taverns. It was highly enjoyable and the women there were quite beautiful (I'm a sucker for blonde hair/blue eyes). So, this is not me being full of myself, but rather me just stating facts and my enjoyment of that additional attention.


Okay, whatever you say :)

I'd tell you to go see for yourself but you're not an attractive American male so idk if you'd receive the same reaction. I don't mean that in a rude way either, it's just that It might be different for girls. Also, to be clear, it's not like I received this attention while visiting the major cities, it was only in the smaller towns that I stayed in that have a less globally-exposed population.

which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality. My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

It's good to hear that you're very open-minded :) Enjoy!

I've yet to see or meet anyone who is more open-minded than myself without being crazy. It's a very fine line to dance.

Great that you're confident about your virtues :P

Indubitably.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:48:40 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Amazing right?

The sites themselves were quite breathtaking. I don't think the architecture tops some sites found in Italy, but it was certainly beautiful at some places

Now that I think of it, I could have been the one pushing others, lol. Just kidding, I'm way too polite to do anything of that sort :P You see, whenever I'm on holidays, it's sort of like, let's visit three museums a day so we're always running around.

Okay. When did you go and how old were you? I'm thinking you just didn't see what I saw, although I highly doubt that because the trash was, quite literally, all around. There are psychological factors that could have blinded you from seeing what you didn't want to see, but idk - I literally was stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the curbs of the city streets while being within jogging distance of the Eiffel Tower. I don't understand how you didn't see this...

Were you not cognizant of the garbage you were stepping over in the main streets of the city? You're definitely over-romanticizing the city.

Perhaps...

How old were you when you went? I was just there 2 weeks ago. P

I was actually pretty old, I just turned thirteen.

Okay, you're really young. This is most likely a major factor in your over-romanticizing of the city. When you're in your mid-twenties, go back and tell me what you think, I believe your opinion will change drastically. If I was 13 when I visited I'd probably not have picked up on the nasty side either.

I'm not that young m'sieu.


There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!

No, I'm just a realist. I take in everything I see and it's, without a doubt, the dirtiest tourist city I've ever been to. They government takes good care of the actual tourist sites, such as the ones you listed, but you only need to walk a mile in any direction to see the nasty underbelly that the government doesn't care to clean up.

I wonder why I didn't notice (I'm being genuine not sarcastic).

Most likely your age. You were too focused on the sites to notice the finer details. I'd have missed it too at that age. I'd love to hear your opinion ten years from now if you ever go back, I'm sure it'd change.

I highly doubt it. I'm not sure what your profession is but it's certainly not an artist :)

(Please tell me I'm right or that would be so offensive...)

Perhaps this is just what I've taken from it because I actually walked the entire city rather than taking a tour that buses people to various sites, idk. All I know is that no shop-owners in the city allow tourists to use their restrooms unless you buy something or pay them, the asain tourists are amongst the rudest I've ever come across, the french waiters are short-tempered, and I distinctly remember stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the road curbs while being within walking distance of the Eiffel tower.

Maybe it's because of the recent terrorist attacks going on in the country and the government don't have time to worry about issues such as the ones mentioned? Je sais pas aussi...

Perhaps, I *was* there 3 days after the truck incident, but the garbage clean-up wouldn't have been affected by that.

Don't get me wrong, the sites are beautiful in themselves, but the actual city is gross and full of incredibly rude people.

Okay... so what did you learn from your holiday :)? (Other than the fact that Asians can be rude and the streets can be unkempt)
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:49:37 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:42:08 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
Greer, Arizona

Most people have this skewed impression of Arizona that it's just this barren desert. However, we do have some pretty good forests. Payson may be a prime example of this, but I'm going to focus on Greer. It's a very small town and only has a population of about 40 - 60 people, but they rent cabins down there. Greer has an elevation of about 8,3000 ft and is much cooler than Phoenix.

The reason why I remember it so fondly is because I had a trip down there with my Kenpo instructor and fellow black belts during my junior year of high school. While we were there, we had to practice on top of one of Greer's tallest mountains to prepare for a competition at the end of the year. It was very difficult, but worth it 100%.

Lovely :) Another place on my list.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:54:16 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:47:45 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:31:36 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:24:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:13:29 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

I'd love to go to America :) even more now from reading your description. While mountain climbing isn't my favourite activity (though I don't mind it), when you get to the top, it's always worth it! Don't you think?

Be careful what you wish for. We have some fantastic tourist sites but generally lack any and all culture. I *specifically* enjoy the Appalachian mountains, where the town is located, because it has been untouched by commercial interests. All around the mountain range lands are being destroyed though for coal. I enjoy the town specifically because it's an old town that it still small enough to the point where after spending a few months there you can start waving to people in the street because you've seen them so many times before. I like that, it's a sense of community that is lost on our generation.

Hmm. I guess.

It's a huge problem. I guarantee that if you ask every American member on this site what the names of their next-door neighbors are, about 90% would say they don't know. We have lost any and all sense of community aside from in the rural areas or if a private neighborhood has a strong governing group that holds holiday events for the entire neighborhood.

That's also why I cherish that town, that sense of community is not lost yet up there.

There are many good places in America, but pick and choose wisely.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me,

Is it just me or are men/boys these days so full of themselves? Lol!

It's merely a fact. The girls there loved the fact that I was an American guy (for some of them I was the first they've ever met) and, due to that, I was showered with attention and adornment whenever I'd go to the town taverns. It was highly enjoyable and the women there were quite beautiful (I'm a sucker for blonde hair/blue eyes). So, this is not me being full of myself, but rather me just stating facts and my enjoyment of that additional attention.


Okay, whatever you say :)

I'd tell you to go see for yourself but you're not an attractive American male so idk if you'd receive the same reaction. I don't mean that in a rude way either, it's just that It might be different for girls. Also, to be clear, it's not like I received this attention while visiting the major cities, it was only in the smaller towns that I stayed in that have a less globally-exposed population.

I would have said the same thing if you were Asian, black, white or orange (-sorry, please don't kill me!!). Even if you were the most handsome man in the world (idk what you look like), it still kinda seems a bit full of yourself. But yeah, I believe you about the German women fancying you etc. :) smile.

which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality. My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

It's good to hear that you're very open-minded :) Enjoy!

I've yet to see or meet anyone who is more open-minded than myself without being crazy. It's a very fine line to dance.

Great that you're confident about your virtues :P

Indubitably.

Yes.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 7:54:18 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Rome, Italy

Barcelona, Spain

(not the only foreign places I've traveled, but my 2 faves for different reasons)
President of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:02:34 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:48:40 PM, missmozart wrote:
Amazing right?

The sites themselves were quite breathtaking. I don't think the architecture tops some sites found in Italy, but it was certainly beautiful at some places

Now that I think of it, I could have been the one pushing others, lol. Just kidding, I'm way too polite to do anything of that sort :P You see, whenever I'm on holidays, it's sort of like, let's visit three museums a day so we're always running around.

Okay. When did you go and how old were you? I'm thinking you just didn't see what I saw, although I highly doubt that because the trash was, quite literally, all around. There are psychological factors that could have blinded you from seeing what you didn't want to see, but idk - I literally was stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the curbs of the city streets while being within jogging distance of the Eiffel Tower. I don't understand how you didn't see this...

Were you not cognizant of the garbage you were stepping over in the main streets of the city? You're definitely over-romanticizing the city.

Perhaps...

How old were you when you went? I was just there 2 weeks ago. P

I was actually pretty old, I just turned thirteen.

Okay, you're really young. This is most likely a major factor in your over-romanticizing of the city. When you're in your mid-twenties, go back and tell me what you think, I believe your opinion will change drastically. If I was 13 when I visited I'd probably not have picked up on the nasty side either.

I'm not that young m'sieu.

When I was 13 I didn't think I was young either, but in the grand scheme of things you're just barely a teenager. If you visited Paris while even younger than that then it perfectly explains why you're over-romanticizing it.

There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!

No, I'm just a realist. I take in everything I see and it's, without a doubt, the dirtiest tourist city I've ever been to. They government takes good care of the actual tourist sites, such as the ones you listed, but you only need to walk a mile in any direction to see the nasty underbelly that the government doesn't care to clean up.

I wonder why I didn't notice (I'm being genuine not sarcastic).

Most likely your age. You were too focused on the sites to notice the finer details. I'd have missed it too at that age. I'd love to hear your opinion ten years from now if you ever go back, I'm sure it'd change.

I highly doubt it. I'm not sure what your profession is but it's certainly not an artist :)

(Please tell me I'm right or that would be so offensive...)

Being an artist doesn't detract from the truth that there are mounds of garbage clogging the main city streets. Valuing the tourist sites also doesn't negate the fact that there is garbage, rude tourists, and unwelcoming shop owners who charge money for use of their restrooms.

I understand that I'm speaking with someone who is young and has no way of seeing the world in the same light as I do since you've yet to experience a vast array of life lessons that come between the age of 13 and 26. I guarantee that once you mature some more and revisit the city you'll see exactly what I did. The whole over-romanticization of the city is an incredibly effective marketing effort, but if I was wrong, then articles such as these wouldn't exist:

https://rosiewalunas.wordpress.com...

http://www.mirror.co.uk...

Perhaps this is just what I've taken from it because I actually walked the entire city rather than taking a tour that buses people to various sites, idk. All I know is that no shop-owners in the city allow tourists to use their restrooms unless you buy something or pay them, the asain tourists are amongst the rudest I've ever come across, the french waiters are short-tempered, and I distinctly remember stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the road curbs while being within walking distance of the Eiffel tower.

Maybe it's because of the recent terrorist attacks going on in the country and the government don't have time to worry about issues such as the ones mentioned? Je sais pas aussi...

Perhaps, I *was* there 3 days after the truck incident, but the garbage clean-up wouldn't have been affected by that.

Don't get me wrong, the sites are beautiful in themselves, but the actual city is gross and full of incredibly rude people.

Okay... so what did you learn from your holiday :)? (Other than the fact that Asians can be rude and the streets can be unkempt)

I wasn't there to learn, I was there for reasons I cannot disclose publicly. With that said, what I learned is exactly what I said - the sites themselves are nice but everything surrounding them, including the city itself, is gross and ridden with garbage.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:05:32 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:49:37 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:42:08 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
Greer, Arizona

Most people have this skewed impression of Arizona that it's just this barren desert. However, we do have some pretty good forests. Payson may be a prime example of this, but I'm going to focus on Greer. It's a very small town and only has a population of about 40 - 60 people, but they rent cabins down there. Greer has an elevation of about 8,3000 ft and is much cooler than Phoenix.

The reason why I remember it so fondly is because I had a trip down there with my Kenpo instructor and fellow black belts during my junior year of high school. While we were there, we had to practice on top of one of Greer's tallest mountains to prepare for a competition at the end of the year. It was very difficult, but worth it 100%.

Lovely :) Another place on my list.
Have you been to Greer or is this just a place that would appeal to you?
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:09:31 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 7:54:16 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:47:45 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:31:36 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:24:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:13:29 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

I'd love to go to America :) even more now from reading your description. While mountain climbing isn't my favourite activity (though I don't mind it), when you get to the top, it's always worth it! Don't you think?

Be careful what you wish for. We have some fantastic tourist sites but generally lack any and all culture. I *specifically* enjoy the Appalachian mountains, where the town is located, because it has been untouched by commercial interests. All around the mountain range lands are being destroyed though for coal. I enjoy the town specifically because it's an old town that it still small enough to the point where after spending a few months there you can start waving to people in the street because you've seen them so many times before. I like that, it's a sense of community that is lost on our generation.

Hmm. I guess.

It's a huge problem. I guarantee that if you ask every American member on this site what the names of their next-door neighbors are, about 90% would say they don't know. We have lost any and all sense of community aside from in the rural areas or if a private neighborhood has a strong governing group that holds holiday events for the entire neighborhood.

That's also why I cherish that town, that sense of community is not lost yet up there.

There are many good places in America, but pick and choose wisely.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me,

Is it just me or are men/boys these days so full of themselves? Lol!

It's merely a fact. The girls there loved the fact that I was an American guy (for some of them I was the first they've ever met) and, due to that, I was showered with attention and adornment whenever I'd go to the town taverns. It was highly enjoyable and the women there were quite beautiful (I'm a sucker for blonde hair/blue eyes). So, this is not me being full of myself, but rather me just stating facts and my enjoyment of that additional attention.


Okay, whatever you say :)

I'd tell you to go see for yourself but you're not an attractive American male so idk if you'd receive the same reaction. I don't mean that in a rude way either, it's just that It might be different for girls. Also, to be clear, it's not like I received this attention while visiting the major cities, it was only in the smaller towns that I stayed in that have a less globally-exposed population.

I would have said the same thing if you were Asian, black, white or orange (-sorry, please don't kill me!!). Even if you were the most handsome man in the world (idk what you look like), it still kinda seems a bit full of yourself. But yeah, I believe you about the German women fancying you etc. :) smile.

Things might seem like something, but that doesn't mean they are what they seem to be. That's the whole point of something *seeming* like something rather that it actually *being* like something. While I might seem overly-confident, I'm being genuine. Confidence is starting to be mistaken for cockiness thanks to the liberal agenda but in reality it's just a degree of self-confidence that is lost upon younger generations thanks to the world they are raised in these days.

Send me a friend request if we aren't already friends and check out the photo album titled, "my life". You'll see what I look like and hopefully it will clear up why the women were all over me (aside from the fact that I was American).

which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality. My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

It's good to hear that you're very open-minded :) Enjoy!

I've yet to see or meet anyone who is more open-minded than myself without being crazy. It's a very fine line to dance.

Great that you're confident about your virtues :P

Indubitably.

Yes.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:15:54 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 8:02:34 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:48:40 PM, missmozart wrote:
Amazing right?

The sites themselves were quite breathtaking. I don't think the architecture tops some sites found in Italy, but it was certainly beautiful at some places

Now that I think of it, I could have been the one pushing others, lol. Just kidding, I'm way too polite to do anything of that sort :P You see, whenever I'm on holidays, it's sort of like, let's visit three museums a day so we're always running around.

Okay. When did you go and how old were you? I'm thinking you just didn't see what I saw, although I highly doubt that because the trash was, quite literally, all around. There are psychological factors that could have blinded you from seeing what you didn't want to see, but idk - I literally was stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the curbs of the city streets while being within jogging distance of the Eiffel Tower. I don't understand how you didn't see this...

Were you not cognizant of the garbage you were stepping over in the main streets of the city? You're definitely over-romanticizing the city.

Perhaps...

How old were you when you went? I was just there 2 weeks ago. P

I was actually pretty old, I just turned thirteen.

Okay, you're really young. This is most likely a major factor in your over-romanticizing of the city. When you're in your mid-twenties, go back and tell me what you think, I believe your opinion will change drastically. If I was 13 when I visited I'd probably not have picked up on the nasty side either.

I'm not that young m'sieu.

When I was 13 I didn't think I was young either, but in the grand scheme of things you're just barely a teenager. If you visited Paris while even younger than that then it perfectly explains why you're over-romanticizing it.

Barely a teenager. I'm actually more than halfway through my teenage years..

There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!

No, I'm just a realist. I take in everything I see and it's, without a doubt, the dirtiest tourist city I've ever been to. They government takes good care of the actual tourist sites, such as the ones you listed, but you only need to walk a mile in any direction to see the nasty underbelly that the government doesn't care to clean up.

I wonder why I didn't notice (I'm being genuine not sarcastic).

Most likely your age. You were too focused on the sites to notice the finer details. I'd have missed it too at that age. I'd love to hear your opinion ten years from now if you ever go back, I'm sure it'd change.

I highly doubt it. I'm not sure what your profession is but it's certainly not an artist :)

(Please tell me I'm right or that would be so offensive...)

Being an artist doesn't detract from the truth that there are mounds of garbage clogging the main city streets. Valuing the tourist sites also doesn't negate the fact that there is garbage, rude tourists, and unwelcoming shop owners who charge money for use of their restrooms.


No you're right. But if you're an artist, you'll come back with things (even in the worst places) other than just that the place was filthy.

I understand that I'm speaking with someone who is young and has no way of seeing the world in the same light as I do since you've yet to experience a vast array of life lessons that come between the age of 13 and 26. I guarantee that once you mature some more and revisit the city you'll see exactly what I did.

Right...

The whole over-romanticization of the city is an incredibly effective marketing effort, but if I was wrong, then articles such as these wouldn't exist:

https://rosiewalunas.wordpress.com...

In the middle of this article, the writer says that the Louvre was way too busy to enjoy the art. Funny enough, I didn't have that feeling since we woke up at seven just to wait outside the Louvre till it opened. I don't know why people complain and don't try to solve the problems. Seriously, it felt really good being so close to the Mona Lisa with only about five other people in the room....


http://www.mirror.co.uk...

Perhaps this is just what I've taken from it because I actually walked the entire city rather than taking a tour that buses people to various sites, idk. All I know is that no shop-owners in the city allow tourists to use their restrooms unless you buy something or pay them, the asain tourists are amongst the rudest I've ever come across, the french waiters are short-tempered, and I distinctly remember stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the road curbs while being within walking distance of the Eiffel tower.

Maybe it's because of the recent terrorist attacks going on in the country and the government don't have time to worry about issues such as the ones mentioned? Je sais pas aussi...

Perhaps, I *was* there 3 days after the truck incident, but the garbage clean-up wouldn't have been affected by that.

Don't get me wrong, the sites are beautiful in themselves, but the actual city is gross and full of incredibly rude people.

Okay... so what did you learn from your holiday :)? (Other than the fact that Asians can be rude and the streets can be unkempt)

I wasn't there to learn, I was there for reasons I cannot disclose publicly. With that said, what I learned is exactly what I said - the sites themselves are nice but everything surrounding them, including the city itself, is gross and ridden with garbage.

What did you think of the paintings, which was your favourite and why? :)

What did you think of Monet's paintings?
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:25:12 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 8:09:31 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:54:16 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:47:45 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:31:36 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:24:27 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:13:29 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:05:06 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I have two places -

1) Highlands, North Carolina

My family owns several properties in that town and it's one of those little mountain towns that have yet to be destroyed by commercial interests. Only a population of around 2,000 during the off-season. It has a main-street and some beautiful hiking trails that take you to some gorgeous overlooks. One trail, called Whiteside, takes you up a mountain that, at the top, allows you to see as far as your eyes allow. The townspeople are very sweet too, just good ole' fashioned America.

I'd love to go to America :) even more now from reading your description. While mountain climbing isn't my favourite activity (though I don't mind it), when you get to the top, it's always worth it! Don't you think?

Be careful what you wish for. We have some fantastic tourist sites but generally lack any and all culture. I *specifically* enjoy the Appalachian mountains, where the town is located, because it has been untouched by commercial interests. All around the mountain range lands are being destroyed though for coal. I enjoy the town specifically because it's an old town that it still small enough to the point where after spending a few months there you can start waving to people in the street because you've seen them so many times before. I like that, it's a sense of community that is lost on our generation.

Hmm. I guess.

It's a huge problem. I guarantee that if you ask every American member on this site what the names of their next-door neighbors are, about 90% would say they don't know. We have lost any and all sense of community aside from in the rural areas or if a private neighborhood has a strong governing group that holds holiday events for the entire neighborhood.

That's also why I cherish that town, that sense of community is not lost yet up there.

There are many good places in America, but pick and choose wisely.

2) Germany

I spent the summer there when I was 16 and fell in love instantly. While the German language isn't the most appealing, everything about that country is awesome. I greatly enjoyed driving on the autobahn (first time I drove above 120 mph), and found the people in the small towns I'd stay in to be very kind and welcoming towards Americans. The girls loved me,

Is it just me or are men/boys these days so full of themselves? Lol!

It's merely a fact. The girls there loved the fact that I was an American guy (for some of them I was the first they've ever met) and, due to that, I was showered with attention and adornment whenever I'd go to the town taverns. It was highly enjoyable and the women there were quite beautiful (I'm a sucker for blonde hair/blue eyes). So, this is not me being full of myself, but rather me just stating facts and my enjoyment of that additional attention.


Okay, whatever you say :)

I'd tell you to go see for yourself but you're not an attractive American male so idk if you'd receive the same reaction. I don't mean that in a rude way either, it's just that It might be different for girls. Also, to be clear, it's not like I received this attention while visiting the major cities, it was only in the smaller towns that I stayed in that have a less globally-exposed population.

I would have said the same thing if you were Asian, black, white or orange (-sorry, please don't kill me!!). Even if you were the most handsome man in the world (idk what you look like), it still kinda seems a bit full of yourself. But yeah, I believe you about the German women fancying you etc. :) smile.

Things might seem like something, but that doesn't mean they are what they seem to be. That's the whole point of something *seeming* like something rather that it actually *being* like something. While I might seem overly-confident, I'm being genuine. Confidence is starting to be mistaken for cockiness thanks to the liberal agenda but in reality it's just a degree of self-confidence that is lost upon younger generations thanks to the world they are raised in these days.

You seem to think you're very old but I'm pretty sure we were born in the same generation...

Send me a friend request if we aren't already friends and check out the photo album titled, "my life". You'll see what I look like and hopefully it will clear up why the women were all over me (aside from the fact that I was American).

I have to say, your dog is really cute :D

Anyways, I still think that some modesty would do you some good m'sieu.


which was fun in its own right, and the beer was light-years ahead of American beer in terms of taste and quality. My favorite day there was when I visited Mad King Ludwig's castle - Neuschwanstein. The regular tour was crap, but then I paid for a special access tour that took me through the hidden halls and servant quarter short-cuts. I also got to see a private grotto that he had built there that is hidden behind a moving stone wall, it was awesome to say the least.

The next place on my list is Bhutan, China. I'd like to travel there and speak with the monks. I do not believe the western conception of enlightenment is accurate, too much ego is involved, and would like to understand that entire concept better while hearing it straight from the horse's mouth.

It's good to hear that you're very open-minded :) Enjoy!

I've yet to see or meet anyone who is more open-minded than myself without being crazy. It's a very fine line to dance.

Great that you're confident about your virtues :P

Indubitably.

Yes.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:37:28 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 8:05:32 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:49:37 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:42:08 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
Greer, Arizona

Most people have this skewed impression of Arizona that it's just this barren desert. However, we do have some pretty good forests. Payson may be a prime example of this, but I'm going to focus on Greer. It's a very small town and only has a population of about 40 - 60 people, but they rent cabins down there. Greer has an elevation of about 8,3000 ft and is much cooler than Phoenix.

The reason why I remember it so fondly is because I had a trip down there with my Kenpo instructor and fellow black belts during my junior year of high school. While we were there, we had to practice on top of one of Greer's tallest mountains to prepare for a competition at the end of the year. It was very difficult, but worth it 100%.

Lovely :) Another place on my list.
Have you been to Greer or is this just a place that would appeal to you?

Second one.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:45:03 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/3/2016 8:15:54 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/3/2016 8:02:34 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 8/3/2016 7:48:40 PM, missmozart wrote:
Amazing right?

The sites themselves were quite breathtaking. I don't think the architecture tops some sites found in Italy, but it was certainly beautiful at some places

Now that I think of it, I could have been the one pushing others, lol. Just kidding, I'm way too polite to do anything of that sort :P You see, whenever I'm on holidays, it's sort of like, let's visit three museums a day so we're always running around.

Okay. When did you go and how old were you? I'm thinking you just didn't see what I saw, although I highly doubt that because the trash was, quite literally, all around. There are psychological factors that could have blinded you from seeing what you didn't want to see, but idk - I literally was stepping over mounds of garbage collecting alongside the curbs of the city streets while being within jogging distance of the Eiffel Tower. I don't understand how you didn't see this...

Were you not cognizant of the garbage you were stepping over in the main streets of the city? You're definitely over-romanticizing the city.

Perhaps...

How old were you when you went? I was just there 2 weeks ago. P

I was actually pretty old, I just turned thirteen.

Okay, you're really young. This is most likely a major factor in your over-romanticizing of the city. When you're in your mid-twenties, go back and tell me what you think, I believe your opinion will change drastically. If I was 13 when I visited I'd probably not have picked up on the nasty side either.

I'm not that young m'sieu.

When I was 13 I didn't think I was young either, but in the grand scheme of things you're just barely a teenager. If you visited Paris while even younger than that then it perfectly explains why you're over-romanticizing it.

Barely a teenager. I'm actually more than halfway through my teenage years..

Didn't you say you are 13? That's "barely a teenager" considering that you're only 1/7th of the way through the teenage years. If you are 16/17 years old then you'd be at the half-way mark.

There was even a white grand piano in the middle of one of the shopping centres for everyone to play on when I visited. Paris is such a stylish and artistic city, quel dommage que vous ne pouvez pas le voir. I'm not denying anything you said but I think you missed a lot of its beauty!

No, I'm just a realist. I take in everything I see and it's, without a doubt, the dirtiest tourist city I've ever been to. They government takes good care of the actual tourist sites, such as the ones you listed, but you only need to walk a mile in any direction to see the nasty underbelly that the government doesn't care to clean up.

I wonder why I didn't notice (I'm being genuine not sarcastic).

Most likely your age. You were too focused on the sites to notice the finer details. I'd have missed it too at that age. I'd love to hear your opinion ten years from now if you ever go back, I'm sure it'd change.

I highly doubt it. I'm not sure what your profession is but it's certainly not an artist :)

(Please tell me I'm right or that would be so offensive...)

Being an artist doesn't detract from the truth that there are mounds of garbage clogging the main city streets. Valuing the tourist sites also doesn't negate the fact that there is garbage, rude tourists, and unwelcoming shop owners who charge money for use of their restrooms.


No you're right. But if you're an artist, you'll come back with things (even in the worst places) other than just that the place was filthy.

Oh, yes. If I was a professional artist then sure, I'd come back for the art and not worry about the disgusting state of the city itself, but I'm not a professional artist. I'm just a realist who tells people the honest truth about cities I've been to.

I'd say, ultimately, that Paris is worth it for the sites, but don't expect the city to be nearly as picture-perfect as the marketing efforts paint it as. I would never live there full-time, it's good for a few days at a time and that's it. Even artists can only step in so much dog-poop without losing their cool.

I understand that I'm speaking with someone who is young and has no way of seeing the world in the same light as I do since you've yet to experience a vast array of life lessons that come between the age of 13 and 26. I guarantee that once you mature some more and revisit the city you'll see exactly what I did.

Right...

I know, I know - it's hard to even understand this but you'll see what I mean in a few years. I'd be calling bs on myself too if I was a teenager being told this, but have faith young one.

The whole over-romanticization of the city is an incredibly effective marketing effort, but if I was wrong, then articles such as these wouldn't exist:

https://rosiewalunas.wordpress.com...

In the middle of this article, the writer says that the Louvre was way too busy to enjoy the art. Funny enough, I didn't have that feeling since we woke up at seven just to wait outside the Louvre till it opened. I don't know why people complain and don't try to solve the problems. Seriously, it felt really good being so close to the Mona Lisa with only about five other people in the room....

I guess most people wouldn't want to wake up at 7 and wait just to avoid the crowd. I didn't, but then again I was enjoying the night-life whereas you weren't. Different experiences yield different results.

http://www.mirror.co.uk...

What did you think of the paintings, which was your favourite and why? :)

Honestly? I don't get the hype around them. Sure, they are awesome painting that have historical value, but I've never been moved by paintings. My preferred art-form is classical music and poetry, those two forms of art touch my soul without fail. With that said, the view from the Eiffel tower was magnificent, and the structural architecture of the Louvre impressed me more than the artwork within its walls. Within the Louvre -The Napoleon III apartment rooms were impressive, and there was one painting... something Chancellor Rolin, the details in that painting, I give the painter props. The only other painting I enjoyed was the astronomer, but only because I saw myself in the man who was painted.

What did you think of Monet's paintings?

Water lilies was good, but that's the only one that stuck out to me - and not even due to personal liking but just because it was presented so majestically.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 8:46:03 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
At 8/2/2016 10:09:52 PM, missmozart wrote:
Is there a place in the world that you love/has a special meaning to you? If yes, where is it and why?

I just realised that I didn't even answer this question myself.

My favourite place that I've been on holidays is without a doubt Vienna. It was absolutely amazing especially knowing that it was the centre of music at the time of Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert etc. The amount of effort put into the arts is also admirable and they say you haven't really been to Vienna without visiting the Opera House! The performances were phenomenal and you could hear every pianissimo even at the back of the gallery. Highly recommend going if you have a chance.

If you're ever in Ireland, you need to visit the West coast which is absolutely beautiful (and do some surfing :) )
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome