Jump to topic:

Rant

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:43:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Sorry I'll be a bit slow to respond over the next few days because I have do to things.

But there's something I really, really need to rant about. My school's enrollment period starts tomorrow and the portal is bleeding DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I access it on my phone, I even get redirected to a scam website. The really funny thing is that some people can access it without problems!

How messed up is that...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 3:55:42 PM
At 8/9/2016 3:43:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Sorry I'll be a bit slow to respond over the next few days because I have do to things.

But there's something I really, really need to rant about. My school's enrollment period starts tomorrow and the portal is bleeding DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I access it on my phone, I even get redirected to a scam website. The really funny thing is that some people can access it without problems!

How messed up is that...

I don't even get what you're trying to say, mdr.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:15:12 PM
At 8/9/2016 3:55:42 PM, missmozart wrote:

How messed up is that...

In university, you enroll in courses each semester through the portal, which is like an intranet which serves many purposes (e.g. paying fees, receiving scholarships, finding academic advisers, declaring majors and minors, booking facilities, etc.) Every year, there's a set time for you to register for the courses. You must prepare a list of courses to enroll in, then sit at the computer at the exact moment the enrollment period starts and press the 'enroll' button. You have to do this quickly, because otherwise, the courses will be full and you won't be able to take the courses you need/want.

The really annoying thing is, the portal is down for SOME people at the moment, including me. Some people can access it on the phone but not on the computer or vice versa; but for me, NEITHER WORKS. I'm really worried I won't be able to register on time tomorrow because that will be DISASTER. :(
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:19:13 PM
At 8/9/2016 4:15:12 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

How messed up is that...

In university, you enroll in courses each semester through the portal, which is like an intranet which serves many purposes (e.g. paying fees, receiving scholarships, finding academic advisers, declaring majors and minors, booking facilities, etc.) Every year, there's a set time for you to register for the courses. You must prepare a list of courses to enroll in, then sit at the computer at the exact moment the enrollment period starts and press the 'enroll' button. You have to do this quickly, because otherwise, the courses will be full and you won't be able to take the courses you need/want.

The really annoying thing is, the portal is down for SOME people at the moment, including me. Some people can access it on the phone but not on the computer or vice versa; but for me, NEITHER WORKS. I'm really worried I won't be able to register on time tomorrow because that will be DISASTER. :(

(

When's the deadline? You could use someone else's computer or you could go to an Internet cafe or something?

Hope everything turns out okay!!
"Bonjour" -Feu

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:27:55 PM
At 8/9/2016 4:19:13 PM, missmozart wrote:

How messed up is that...

(

When's the deadline? You could use someone else's computer or you could go to an Internet cafe or something?

Thanks. We have almost a week for it, but the deadline really isn't important because if I don't register at 2.00pm sharp, I'll get rejected from many of the good courses. Probably I can only get in a few of the core courses they make sure everyone takes (phonetics, grammatical description). But I really, really don't want to be rejected from courses like phonology and optimality theory (the famous professor teaching these will be gone after next year) and the computer science introductory course (or I may not be able to major in CS because they keep rejecting me.)

I've booked a computer at the music library at school... hope that will work. (There goes a morning at the piano though...)

Don't be a stat cynic:

missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:31:57 PM
At 8/9/2016 4:27:55 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

How messed up is that...

(

Thanks. We have almost a week for it, but the deadline really isn't important because if I don't register at 2.00pm sharp, I'll get rejected from many of the good courses. Probably I can only get in a few of the core courses they make sure everyone takes (phonetics, grammatical description). But I really, really don't want to be rejected from courses like phonology and optimality theory (the famous professor teaching these will be gone after next year) and the computer science introductory course (or I may not be able to major in CS because they keep rejecting me.)

I've booked a computer at the music library at school... hope that will work. (There goes a morning at the piano though...)

Don't worry about piano. I've updated our battle again so you have an extra two days to post. I'll do it again tonight to save you another few hours... Uni is more important in your case :)
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 4:45:28 PM
At 8/9/2016 4:31:57 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 8/9/2016 4:27:55 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

How messed up is that...

(

Don't worry about piano. I've updated our battle again so you have an extra two days to post. I'll do it again tonight to save you another few hours... Uni is more important in your case :)

Thanks, you're awesome :D

Don't be a stat cynic:

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2016 9:42:14 PM

How messed up is that...

That was a surprisingly cool headed rant.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Foxian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 1:04:28 AM
At 8/9/2016 9:42:14 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

How messed up is that...

+1
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 4:44:35 AM
Update... they postponed the enrollment period to Friday.

How *thoughtful* of them... Friday is registration day for freshmen and we're supposed to be helping them on that day...

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 4:45:13 AM

How messed up is that...

Lol what were you expecting? :O

Don't be a stat cynic:

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 4:51:06 AM
At 8/10/2016 4:45:13 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

How messed up is that...

A few more paragraphs, a few more curse words.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 5:39:11 AM
Another update. Fortunately, the IT guys aren't as moronic as we thought... they actually listened to people's complaints and changed the date again. Woohoo!

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 5:40:34 AM
At 8/10/2016 4:51:06 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 8/10/2016 4:45:13 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

How messed up is that...

A few more paragraphs, a few more curse words.

Lol... Why would you expect a few more paragraphs?

Don't be a stat cynic:

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 12:11:54 PM
You have to do this quickly, because otherwise, the courses will be full and you won't be able to take the courses you need/want.

Lol, I can only imagine everybody starting at their computer screen rapid-pressing refresh until the submit button is available.

Dunno if it's like this everywhere, but I've heard classes will just get extremely large and adjust based on how many people attend. It isn't like that in Hong Kong University?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 2:58:15 PM
At 8/10/2016 12:11:54 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
You have to do this quickly, because otherwise, the courses will be full and you won't be able to take the courses you need/want.

Lol, I can only imagine everybody starting at their computer screen rapid-pressing refresh until the submit button is available.
Which is what happened, because the guys decided to postpone the announcement of the postponement until after some people had already started their enrollment periods.
Dunno if it's like this everywhere, but I've heard classes will just get extremely large and adjust based on how many people attend. It isn't like that in Hong Kong University?
Some classes can take in a few more if needed, but most classes are either unpopular (quantity demanded < quantity supplied) or do not have flexible quotas (quantity demanded > quantity supplied as a result).

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 2:27:31 AM
so apparently they managed to screw up the portal again...

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:08:05 AM
Damn, now I got rejected from the computer science introductory course.

Being forced to take it in the second semester (and thus starting my second major even later) is bad enough, but the course has a time clash with optimality theory in the second semester!!!!

I am so annoyed right now.

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:08:32 AM
I really wonder if I should major in mathematics or philosophy instead...

Don't be a stat cynic:

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:48:41 AM
At 8/19/2016 3:08:05 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Being forced to take it in the second semester (and thus starting my second major even later) is bad enough, but the course has a time clash with optimality theory in the second semester!!!!

That's harsh, why does HK University not fully adjust to what courses people select?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 5:28:04 AM
At 8/19/2016 3:48:41 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/19/2016 3:08:05 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

That's harsh, why does HK University not fully adjust to what courses people select?

I wish I knew, but it seems that even the professors are powerless about this.

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 3:15:00 AM
I've been making contingency plans if I can't major in cs. This has been somewhat stressful and tiring...

Don't be a stat cynic:

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 5:55:27 AM
At 8/20/2016 3:15:00 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
I've been making contingency plans if I can't major in cs. This has been somewhat stressful and tiring...

That sucks ): I hope you can make things work out eventually.