Jump to topic:

My rant about some psychiatric patients

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 10:38:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I am one of the most compassionate people when it comes to issues dealing with the mind and body. But what irks my nerves sometimes is when psychiatric patients who proclaim to have suicidal or homicidal ideation, have rude attitudes about the emergency department process. A lot of times some psychiatric patients who are visibly disheveled (presumably homeless) demand food and juice. If we withold these items due to their being diabetic or us telling them they cannot eat due to having a procedure done, we are the target of ridicule.

When we try to draw blood for tests some psychiatric patients feel the need to jerk their arm away even after we've explained what we are doing. I sometimes want to say "if you don't want medical treatment, why come to the emergency room?" Just kill yourself if life is so bad. But often times most psychiatric patients are homeless and use the emergency department as a hotel and shelter. It bothers the hell out of me. This is not to say all psychiatric patients are like this, but a great lot of them take advantage of medical services.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 8:25:19 PM
At 8/13/2016 10:38:32 AM, Hiu wrote:
I am one of the most compassionate people when it comes to issues dealing with the mind and body. But what irks my nerves sometimes is when psychiatric patients who proclaim to have suicidal or homicidal ideation, have rude attitudes about the emergency department process. A lot of times some psychiatric patients who are visibly disheveled (presumably homeless) demand food and juice. If we withold these items due to their being diabetic or us telling them they cannot eat due to having a procedure done, we are the target of ridicule.

When we try to draw blood for tests some psychiatric patients feel the need to jerk their arm away even after we've explained what we are doing. I sometimes want to say "if you don't want medical treatment, why come to the emergency room?" Just kill yourself if life is so bad. But often times most psychiatric patients are homeless and use the emergency department as a hotel and shelter. It bothers the hell out of me. This is not to say all psychiatric patients are like this, but a great lot of them take advantage of medical services.
This is a symptom of the fact that society doesnt take care of the mentally ill. Many need to be in phych wards but are left to wander the streets. I know that if i didnt have my support system, i would be one of these.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 9:36:48 PM

Part of life is helping others, regardless of if they can return the favor, and I think you should keep doing what you're doing because you're really helping these people even if they don't always show it. You're making a difference for the better in their lives.

It is unfortunate that they sometimes take advantage of the services that the ER provides, but keep in mind that it might simply be because they have no-where else to go. It's sad nonetheless, and I agree with the other user that it's mainly a symptom of our society that allows this sort of situation to develop in the first place. I guess the best advice I can give without it being some world-changing suggestion would be to just keep in mind that these people need your help, and you're doing them a really good service by being there for them.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 2:59:22 AM
At 8/13/2016 8:25:19 PM, janesix wrote:

This is a symptom of the fact that society doesnt take care of the mentally ill. Many need to be in phych wards but are left to wander the streets. I know that if i didnt have my support system, i would be one of these.

I understand that many of our mentally ill are homeless and without a support system, however in most cases, many do get the support they need upon discharge (when they do not meet placement criteria), they get referrals and places to go. The problem is, many don't and see the hospital as a hotel because they do not want to follow up their own care on their own.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 3:01:04 AM
At 8/13/2016 9:36:48 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Part of life is helping others, regardless of if they can return the favor, and I think you should keep doing what you're doing because you're really helping these people even if they don't always show it. You're making a difference for the better in their lives.

It is unfortunate that they sometimes take advantage of the services that the ER provides, but keep in mind that it might simply be because they have no-where else to go. It's sad nonetheless, and I agree with the other user that it's mainly a symptom of our society that allows this sort of situation to develop in the first place. I guess the best advice I can give without it being some world-changing suggestion would be to just keep in mind that these people need your help, and you're doing them a really good service by being there for them.

Thank you. I tend to keep that in mind and of course I never look for anything in return when it comes to giving psychiatric patients assistance. It is just some damn frustrating that many often do not understand nor some aren't willing to understand, that it is our job to help them.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:09:40 PM

Why would you withhold it from them due to them being diabetic.

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:22:44 PM
At 8/15/2016 2:38:40 AM, YYW wrote:
I can relate to this. I might make another rant about homeless blacks who harass people.

If you do, make sure you talk about the white meth heads as well...F*cking troll
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:23:48 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:09:40 PM, mc9 wrote:

You never give a diabetic person food and juice unless you test their blood sugar because it could be too high!
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:25:02 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:23:48 PM, Hiu wrote:

You never give a diabetic person food and juice unless you test their blood sugar because it could be too high!

I know I'm diabetic but why don't you just ask them to test
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:29:08 PM

Ok I am diabetic and they can have food if they're high they just need to cover (and correct if it's time) though they can't have juice unless they're low (when they would need something sugary).
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:34:09 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:25:02 PM, mc9 wrote:

Um, we do when we do our assessment. A lot of times many of them want food right then and there and we can't just give them food and drink unless we are positive its not high.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:36:11 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:29:08 PM, mc9 wrote:

Ok I am diabetic and they can have food if they're high they just need to cover (and correct if it's time) though they can't have juice unless they're low (when they would need something sugary).

I didn't realize you were there with me. No offense but we cannot go by any patient's word until we perform the proper test. That is like a person coming in the ER with abdominal pain w/vomiting but wants water. We cannot give water until we control the vomiting and nausea.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:37:12 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:34:09 PM, Hiu wrote:

Um, we do when we do our assessment. A lot of times many of them want food right then and there and we can't just give them food and drink unless we are positive its not high.

If they are low it would be dangerous to withhold food or drink from them. Just make sure they cover it if they're not low
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:37:46 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:22:44 PM, Hiu wrote:
I can relate to this. I might make another rant about homeless blacks who harass people.

If you do, make sure you talk about the white meth heads as well...F*cking troll

lol

I never see white meth heads.
Tsar of DDO
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:38:27 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:36:11 PM, Hiu wrote:

I didn't realize you were there with me. No offense but we cannot go by any patient's word until we perform the proper test. That is like a person coming in the ER with abdominal pain w/vomiting but wants water. We cannot give water until we control the vomiting and nausea.

I understand that but it's not that hard to do a fingerprint test on the glucometer
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:47:29 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:37:12 PM, mc9 wrote:

If they are low it would be dangerous to withhold food or drink from them. Just make sure they cover it if they're not low

Which is why we perform tests first...lol smh I'm saying the same thing over. I've been doing this for years
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:48:54 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:37:46 PM, YYW wrote:

lol

Live in Los Angeles long enough they're all over. Especially in Orange County (predominantly white area) where methamphetamine is the drug of choice, next to spice and powdered cocaine.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:49:10 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:47:29 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 8/15/2016 11:37:12 PM, mc9 wrote:

Which is why we perform tests first...lol smh I'm saying the same thing over. I've been doing this for years

Fair enough but you can still eat if you're high you just need to cover and (if it's time ) correct
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:51:42 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:38:27 PM, mc9 wrote:

I understand that but it's not that hard to do a fingerprint test on the glucometer

SMH hence is why we perform tests like Hemocues and Accuchecks prior to giving them anything. I've seen diabetic patients who claim to have a high blood sugar and upon doing an Accu-check, they were at an 88 which is fine. None exhibiting anything that is hypoglycemic.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:56:00 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:51:42 PM, Hiu wrote:

SMH hence is why we perform tests like Hemocues and Accuchecks prior to giving them anything. I've seen diabetic patients who claim to have a high blood sugar and upon doing an Accu-check, they were at an 88 which is fine. None exhibiting anything that is hypoglycemic.

Ok sorry we weren't on the same page but you can understand that as a diabetic I wanted to make sure you weren't mistreating diabetic patients (ps hypoglycemia is being low hyper is high)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2016 11:56:08 PM
At 8/15/2016 11:48:54 PM, Hiu wrote:
At 8/15/2016 11:37:46 PM, YYW wrote:

lol

Live in Los Angeles long enough they're all over. Especially in Orange County (predominantly white area) where methamphetamine is the drug of choice, next to spice and powdered cocaine.

Never been to LA.
Tsar of DDO
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 12:07:24 AM

Also we are talking about type one right?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 12:07:57 AM
At 8/15/2016 11:56:00 PM, mc9 wrote:

Ok sorry we weren't on the same page but you can understand that as a diabetic I wanted to make sure you weren't mistreating diabetic patients (ps hypoglycemia is being low hyper is high)

No. we never mistreat anyone with high blood sugar or any condition for that matter. But often times some psych patients don't know what their present condition is.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 12:10:06 AM
At 8/16/2016 12:07:24 AM, mc9 wrote:

Also we are talking about type one right?

I think you're too focused on the diabetes aspect and not the actual OP. My job function is not to assess which type of a diabetes a patient has, that is the nurses/physicians function.