Jump to topic:

Tej's AMA.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 3:25:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I'll make a short note before I start. There have been certain events happening in my life - that I don't want to go into detail about - that aren't really serious, but have reduced my morale generally, and turned me into an existential nihilist. Compared to many people on DDO, you could say my life has been more sheltered. So it's difficult to keep up with certain stresses, involving my changing behavior. I'm becoming more of a cynic, and more of an introvert. I dislike talking to people generally, these days. I've started writing dark, cynical poetry to throw my emotions out of me. It has also affected my political views, turning me into something like a philosophical - though not political - anarchist.

Well, I just wanted to pour my feelings out. That's it. Now, ask me anything. I don't guarantee answers.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 3:56:35 PM
Top 10 current debaters on this site.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:13:39 PM
At 8/18/2016 3:56:35 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I don't have a list
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:14:43 PM
At 8/18/2016 3:25:53 PM, tejretics wrote:
I'll make a short note before I start. There have been certain events happening in my life - that I don't want to go into detail about - that aren't really serious, but have reduced my morale generally, and turned me into an existential nihilist. Compared to many people on DDO, you could say my life has been more sheltered. So it's difficult to keep up with certain stresses, involving my changing behavior. I'm becoming more of a cynic, and more of an introvert. I dislike talking to people generally, these days. I've started writing dark, cynical poetry to throw my emotions out of me. It has also affected my political views, turning me into something like a philosophical - though not political - anarchist.

Well, I just wanted to pour my feelings out. That's it. Now, ask me anything. I don't guarantee answers.

Have you watched Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:15:13 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:14:43 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Have you watched Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos?

Only the first episode.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:17:01 PM

If it's 0 degrees C today and tomorrow it will be twice as cold, how cold will it be?
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:17:49 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:17:01 PM, Fkkize wrote:
If it's 0 degrees C today and tomorrow it will be twice as cold, how cold will it be?

-136.75 degrees Celsius
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:18:53 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:17:49 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/18/2016 4:17:01 PM, Fkkize wrote:

-136.57 degrees Celsius

Fixed
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:42:11 PM

I hope things normalize for you very soon.

Do you (or do you think you will) find value in that dark, cynical poetry after this state of mind has passed?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:42:54 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:42:11 PM, Chaosism wrote:
Do you (or do you think you will) find value in that dark, cynical poetry after this state of mind has passed?

Yes
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:44:49 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:42:54 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/18/2016 4:42:11 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Yes

Have you been through this before, and have you shared it with others?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:46:32 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:44:49 PM, Chaosism wrote:
Have you been through this before?

Yes. I do not think it will fade this time, though. In fact, I don't want it to fade.

It is comforting to think existence has no meaning, in one way.

Have you shared it with others?

I don't quite understand the question.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:52:32 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:46:32 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/18/2016 4:44:49 PM, Chaosism wrote:
Have you been through this before?

Yes. I do not think it will fade this time, though. In fact, I don't want it to fade.

It is comforting to think existence has no meaning, in one way.

I can definitely relate to and understand that. It seems as though you reached the position of existential nihilism emotionally; do you think it's a tenable position, intellectually?

Have you shared it with others?

I don't quite understand the question.

Sorry - I was referring to the poetry.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 4:53:17 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:52:32 PM, Chaosism wrote:
I can definitely relate to and understand that. It seems as though you reached the position of existential nihilism emotionally; do you think it's a tenable position, intellectually?

Yes.

It isn't secret or anything. So, yeah.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 7:14:43 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:13:39 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/18/2016 3:56:35 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I don't have a list

But you can just say it.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 9:10:39 PM
At 8/18/2016 4:53:17 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/18/2016 4:52:32 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Yes.

It isn't secret or anything. So, yeah.

Cool. If you're ever inclined to share, I'd be interested to read them. I like peoples' unique expressions like this.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 10:23:35 PM

Honest opinion of me?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 10:44:58 PM

bro, if you can PM me any time you want. I'll always be there
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 10:46:59 PM

Favorite news/journalism source?

Favorite short stories?

Favorite teacher and why you liked him/her?
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 11:20:34 PM
I'm becoming more of a cynic, and more of an introvert. I dislike talking to people generally, these days. I've started writing dark, cynical poetry to throw my emotions out of me. It has also affected my political views, turning me into something like a philosophical - though not political - anarchist.

You've officially entered adolescence.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 11:38:18 PM

I would be a nihilist as well if I wasn't a Christian.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 1:34:02 AM
I'll make a short note before I start. There have been certain events happening in my life - that I don't want to go into detail about - that aren't really serious, but have reduced my morale generally, and turned me into an existential nihilist.

Welcome to the club.
While I am technically speaking an existential nihilist, I do tend to act more like a ficitionalist (life has no value but pretending it does) at times.

Compared to many people on DDO, you could say my life has been more sheltered. So it's difficult to keep up with certain stresses, involving my changing behavior. I'm becoming more of a cynic

Welcome to the club. Surprised you weren't a cynic before. I am a cynic insomuch that I don't think everyone necessarily realizes they are acting out of self-interest, but are. There is no such thing as a truly selfless act.

and more of an introvert. I dislike talking to people generally, these days. I've started writing dark, cynical poetry to throw my emotions out of me. It has also affected my political views, turning me into something like a philosophical - though not political - anarchist.

What are some of your biggest shifts in philosophical views due to this change in perspective?

Honest opinion of me?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 6:13:39 AM

Have you considered practicing mindfulness to help? It will help with morale, stress, cynicism and a ton of other things. It has all been scientifically demonstrated. I wish I started studying it years ago.

Also I resent grouping anarchism in with cynicism :p
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 10:33:20 AM
At 8/18/2016 9:10:39 PM, Chaosism wrote:
Cool. If you're ever inclined to share, I'd be interested to read them. I like peoples' unique expressions like this.

Maybe I'll send it through a Google Doc. Worried about posting it here because then it gives Juggle the copyright to my work.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 10:36:52 AM
At 8/18/2016 10:46:59 PM, Hayd wrote:
Favorite news/journalism source?

Hmm... Idk. I just read the ordinary newspaper, and generally look up some random sites.

I don't trust FOX, Huffington Post or WaPo, though.

Favorite short stories?

Idk

Favorite teacher and why you liked him/her?

I had a great English teacher last year. She explained things beautifully. We had one short story about a 11/26 (terrorist attack) special forces officer, and she began the lesson by simply writing "terrorism" on the board and asking us to say whatever we thought of it. She then gave us an exercise to prepare a clear plan on how we would tackle a terrorist attack in our school. Finally, she gave us an exercise on bringing a story about any first responder to a terrorist attack. She started the lesson after that. She deals with misbehavior by mocking the person that misbehaved, and passing sarcastic comments their way... it works.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 10:38:01 AM
At 8/18/2016 11:20:34 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
You've officially entered adolescence.

I've felt the emotional fluctuations, etc. from adolescence before. This is more like a complete evolution of my philosophical and political views, and the way I see the world itself.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 11:14:04 AM
At 8/19/2016 1:34:02 AM, SNP1 wrote:
What are some of your biggest shifts in philosophical views due to this change in perspective?

Apathetic -> existential nihilist
Moral realist -> moral noncognitivist who is completely apathetic
Atheist -> apatheist

Honest opinion of me?

Positive, on balance.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 3:09:42 PM
At 8/19/2016 10:33:20 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/18/2016 9:10:39 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Maybe I'll send it through a Google Doc. Worried about posting it here because then it gives Juggle the copyright to my work.

Understood. Feel free to send a link in PM any time.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2016 8:39:41 PM
At 8/19/2016 10:38:01 AM, tejretics wrote:

Any comments on the recent news about what the GOP tags as the "secret ransom" with Iran?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 12:30:34 AM
At 8/19/2016 11:14:04 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/19/2016 1:34:02 AM, SNP1 wrote:

Apathetic -> existential nihilist

How full blown nihilist?
Denying extrinsic meaning completely or viewing extrinsic meaning as, ultimately, meaningless but still relevant to you?

Moral realist -> moral noncognitivist who is completely apathetic

Didn't know you were a realist before.

Atheist -> apatheist

What is your view on theological noncognitivism?

Honest opinion of me?

Positive, on balance.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO