Jump to topic:

Should I shift?

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 12:46:02 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Civil Engineering is too hard for me. I'm not sure if it's because I'm being lazy or I'm just being a dumb@ss. One thing is for sure, it doesn't interest me at all.

But what other choice do I have? Liberal Arts are sh*t. Business is a possibility, I'm good at it too. Maybe take accounting cuz I was great at it when I was in high school and its something that interests me.

Tho one big problem would be the outside pressure. You know how Asian parents want their child to be a doctor, engineer, etc. Also my god damn smart girlfriend is in Engineering. She'll most likely be disappointed if I shifted. Plus my financial situation to keep me in Uni isn't great.

I don't know. I'm at lost. I'm not sure if I'm just lazy and I should just suck it up. I keep telling myself I don't hate engineering, but I slowly feel like I'm just lying to myself.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:02:00 PM
At 8/22/2016 12:46:02 PM, XLAV wrote:
Civil Engineering is too hard for me. I'm not sure if it's because I'm being lazy or I'm just being a dumb@ss. One thing is for sure, it doesn't interest me at all.

But what other choice do I have? Liberal Arts are sh*t. Business is a possibility, I'm good at it too. Maybe take accounting cuz I was great at it when I was in high school and its something that interests me.

Tho one big problem would be the outside pressure. You know how Asian parents want their child to be a doctor, engineer, etc. Also my god damn smart girlfriend is in Engineering. She'll most likely be disappointed if I shifted. Plus my financial situation to keep me in Uni isn't great.

I don't know. I'm at lost. I'm not sure if I'm just lazy and I should just suck it up. I keep telling myself I don't hate engineering, but I slowly feel like I'm just lying to myself.

Now I'm still one of them youngins in high school, but I'd say take the root that most interests you. What's the point in following a path or education in something if you're not interested in it?
If you really are worried about your parents or girlfriend being disappointed, try talking to them about it, see what they think, see if they can help you with the class (you said your girlfriend is in engineering and is smart...maybe she can help you if you're not doing well).

Aside from that, idk what other advice to give. Most of my subjects are mandatory in some way (there are usually multiple classes to choose from, like for history I could take APUSH or APWH (or the non-AP of those), or civics or something, and I get to choose which of those I take, but I still have to take history. It sounds like you have a bit more of a choice here.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:09:25 PM
At 8/22/2016 1:02:00 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Now I'm still one of them youngins in high school, but I'd say take the root that most interests you. What's the point in following a path or education in something if you're not interested in it?
Money, supply and demand, that usual stuff why students picked or are forced to picked courses that don't interest them.
If you really are worried about your parents or girlfriend being disappointed, try talking to them about it, see what they think, see if they can help you with the class (you said your girlfriend is in engineering and is smart...maybe she can help you if you're not doing well).
Thing is, I did have a chance to shift before. Everyone was ok about it, but I backed out in the last minute. So everyone once again think that I'll still pull through in Civil Eng. I feel like if I do it again, they'll be more disappointed, and even pissed, than ever since I'll be wasting a year, money and everyone's effort to help me.

Aside from that, idk what other advice to give. Most of my subjects are mandatory in some way (there are usually multiple classes to choose from, like for history I could take APUSH or APWH (or the non-AP of those), or civics or something, and I get to choose which of those I take, but I still have to take history. It sounds like you have a bit more of a choice here.
If you fully understand my situation, I have pretty limited choice.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2016 1:10:25 PM
At 8/22/2016 1:09:25 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 8/22/2016 1:02:00 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Money, supply and demand, that usual stuff why students picked or are forced to picked courses that don't interest them.
Thing is, I did have a chance to shift before. Everyone was ok about it, but I backed out in the last minute. So everyone once again think that I'll still pull through in Civil Eng. I feel like if I do it again, they'll be more disappointed, and even pissed, than ever since I'll be wasting a year, money and everyone's effort to help me.

If you fully understand my situation, I have pretty limited choice.

Sounds like a tough decision :/
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 5:58:24 PM

The depressed people(which is a lot) are doing jobs in fields they hate. The happy people are doing jobs they don't mind doing. You spend too much time at work to sentence yourself to something you hate.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 8:52:38 PM

Yes. Shift. Your rpm's are high.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:01:10 AM
At 8/26/2016 8:52:38 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Whats rpm?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:29:12 AM
At 8/29/2016 1:01:10 AM, XLAV wrote:

Whats rpm?

I'm guessing he means 'revolutions per minute'...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:31:05 AM
At 8/29/2016 1:29:12 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 8/29/2016 1:01:10 AM, XLAV wrote:

Whats rpm?

I'm guessing he means 'revolutions per minute'...

Brontoraptor can never say anything serious, can he?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:31:06 AM

Have you done introductory courses to any other engineering majors? I don't know which majors your university offers, but at a minimum, they should usually have mech, EE, ElecE and CS.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:34:35 AM

Just take accounting; don't do something you aren't interested in. Accountants can make a lot of money from what I've heard.

If accounting interests you more than any other career opportunity, then take it.

Tho one big problem would be the outside pressure. You know how Asian parents want their child to be a doctor, engineer, etc.
Lol I thought that was a stereotype only with American Asians.

Also my god damn smart girlfriend is in Engineering. She'll most likely be disappointed if I shifted. Plus my financial situation to keep me in Uni isn't great.

You might be acting lazy due to pure boredom of not liking engineering. Just quit it if you aren't interested...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 1:52:08 AM
At 8/29/2016 1:34:35 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

Just take accounting; don't do something you aren't interested in. Accountants can make a lot of money from what I've heard.

If accounting interests you more than any other career opportunity, then take it.

Tho one big problem would be the outside pressure. You know how Asian parents want their child to be a doctor, engineer, etc.
ikr, parents in Hong Kong prefer business over engineering.

Don't be a stat cynic:

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 2:01:15 AM
At 8/29/2016 1:52:08 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Isn't Hong Kong pretty much a global financial center or something? It doesn't surprise me why business would be popular there or in places like Shanghai.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 2:38:25 AM
At 8/29/2016 2:01:15 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/29/2016 1:52:08 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Isn't Hong Kong pretty much a global financial center or something? It doesn't surprise me why business would be popular there or in places like Shanghai.

True. Our manufacturing sector has declined steadily since the 1980s, so unless you're a computer scientist or a civil engineer, there isn't a huge demand for your skills... which means many engineers end up getting a job in the Mainland.

Don't be a stat cynic:

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2016 7:14:25 PM

If you want to make money, go for a major in Finance and a minor in Law. That will help you tremendously. If you want to be employed at a business, and are going to a good business school, then go for business. If you are not going to an Ivy League business school, like Wharton, then don't bother with an undergraduate in business because you won't be able to find a good enough job.

If anything, I would really recommend finance, and maybe starting in the property business. The profit margin in undeveloped areas is great.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.