Jump to topic:

AP Government and Politics

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:33:29 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I'm taking AP Gov this year. We're using the book "The Challenge of Democracy" 11th edition. Anyone have any experience with the book or class or both?

Also, any insight on how difficult the exam is compared to the AP US History exam (I took that last year)?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:34:32 PM
At 8/24/2016 11:33:29 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
I'm taking AP Gov this year. We're using the book "The Challenge of Democracy" 11th edition. Anyone have any experience with the book or class or both?

Also, any insight on how difficult the exam is compared to the AP US History exam (I took that last year)?

I haven't taken the class, but I'll happily take your insight on the AP US History exam if you don't mind ;3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:36:52 PM
At 8/24/2016 11:34:32 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I haven't taken the class, but I'll happily take your insight on the AP US History exam if you don't mind ;3

Haha okay :P
The APUSH exam was fairly difficult, but I scored a 3 so I'm content. Anything specific?
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:37:41 PM
At 8/24/2016 11:36:52 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

The APUSH exam was fairly difficult, but I scored a 3 so I'm content. Anything specific?

Well I just started the class like 2 weeks ago, so nothing much yet
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:39:10 PM
At 8/24/2016 11:37:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Okay. :) Well, if you ever do have any questions, definitely PM me or something!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:46:42 PM
At 8/24/2016 11:39:10 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 8/24/2016 11:37:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Okay. :) Well, if you ever do have any questions, definitely PM me or something!

Will do :D

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 11:51:25 PM

AP Gov is by a wide margin the single easiest AP course I took in high school. I didn't take the AP test for it, but the practice tests we were forced to take in class were fairly easy and simple. If you took AP US History and watch or read political news regularly, you'll be fine.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 12:07:57 AM
At 8/24/2016 11:51:25 PM, 000ike wrote:

AP Gov is by a wide margin the single easiest AP course I took in high school. I didn't take the AP test for it, but the practice tests we were forced to take in class were fairly easy and simple. If you took AP US History and watch or read political news regularly, you'll be fine.

I didn't take AP gov but everyone I knew who took it said the same thing. Granted I graduated almost a decade ago so it might have changed.

APUSH was hard af when I took it. I'm still ticked about that 4
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 2:24:41 AM

I took it before. It was two years ago though.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 2:33:20 AM

Great! That's encouraging. Thanks! I took APUSH last year and I do keep up with politics/news on a regular basis. :)
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 2:34:17 AM
At 8/25/2016 12:07:57 AM, Raisor wrote:

I didn't take AP gov but everyone I knew who took it said the same thing. Granted I graduated almost a decade ago so it might have changed.

Consistent, it seems. :)

APUSH was hard af when I took it. I'm still ticked about that 4

I got a 3 last year... :(
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 2:35:35 AM
At 8/25/2016 2:24:41 AM, lannan13 wrote:

What did you score? Was it difficult?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 2:37:30 AM
I believe my brother got a 5 on the exam.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 2:49:22 AM
At 8/25/2016 2:35:35 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I meant the class. I didn't take the test.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 2:56:01 AM
At 8/25/2016 2:49:22 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 8/25/2016 2:35:35 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I meant the class. I didn't take the test.

Ah, okay.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 4:33:05 AM

Bro, I'm taking AP US this year, gonna take AP gov next year. ALthough you can only take gov half a semester
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:17:43 AM
I was planning to take AP Gov/Politics but then I decided I would ditch that for AP Economics.

I am taking AP World History over APUSH because an "advanced" course about US history seems kind of boring to me, I never found American history to be too interesting. Has anybody here ever taken any of these two courses?
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 3:39:37 PM
I agree with whoever said that AP Gov was the easiest AP exam they took. I got a 5 on it, and a 5 on US History as well but that was harder. Know the major court cases and the amendments because there's always some questions on that. Collegeboard usually releases some old prompts for the writing parts so you could take a look at that too.

Speaking of APs in general though, I'm bitter that I got a 3 on AP chem >.> I mean I had a bad teacher but still.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 3:58:55 PM
At 8/25/2016 3:39:37 PM, Sapphique wrote:
I agree with whoever said that AP Gov was the easiest AP exam they took. I got a 5 on it, and a 5 on US History as well but that was harder. Know the major court cases and the amendments because there's always some questions on that. Collegeboard usually releases some old prompts for the writing parts so you could take a look at that too.

Speaking of APs in general though, I'm bitter that I got a 3 on AP chem >.> I mean I had a bad teacher but still.

I would be happy just to pass AP chem...

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 4:12:46 PM
At 8/25/2016 3:39:37 PM, Sapphique wrote:

You're really amazing, you know that?

Haha. Well, I got a 3 on APUSH, so you're well beyond me. :P
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 4:15:04 PM
At 8/25/2016 4:33:05 AM, Hayd wrote:

Bro, I'm taking AP US this year, gonna take AP gov next year. ALthough you can only take gov half a semester

Nice! Good luck! If you have any questions about APUSH, feel free to ask me. I might know, I might not. Lol
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 4:58:29 PM
At 8/25/2016 4:12:46 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
You're really amazing, you know that?
Lol, if you knew my friends you wouldn't say that XD I'm not smart at all compared to them.
Haha. Well, I got a 3 on APUSH, so you're well beyond me. :P
A 3 for a 3 makes us about even I would say haha. The ironic thing is that I want to go into a STEM field but my math/sci grades and scores are lower than my humanities grades :(
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 4:59:23 PM
At 8/25/2016 3:58:55 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Are you taking it this year?

ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 5:39:05 PM
When I was a HS senior in 2010, Gov was widely considered to be the easiest AP exam out there. Not sure if that's changed since then.

I didn't take it, because at that point I already knew which college I'd be going to and taking the AP Gov exam wouldn't have given me any useful credits there. Can't complain too much though because I ended up going seven for seven on 5s, so I got a lot of free credits anyway :)
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:12:08 PM
The AP Government exam was even easier than the APUSH exam was
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:13:43 PM
At 8/25/2016 4:59:23 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 8/25/2016 3:58:55 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Are you taking it this year?

No, because I wouldn't do well XD

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:18:33 PM
also take as many AP classes/exams as you can. you can skip a lot of dumb/annoying classes in college
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:21:36 PM
At 8/25/2016 6:18:33 PM, thett3 wrote:
also take as many AP classes/exams as you can. you can skip a lot of dumb/annoying classes in college

...and rid of all your free time in the process during high school...

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:24:55 PM
At 8/25/2016 6:21:36 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 8/25/2016 6:18:33 PM, thett3 wrote:

...and rid of all your free time in the process during high school...

Well you're on a debating website, it's not like you were doing something fun with that time anyway
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2016 6:56:39 PM
At 8/25/2016 6:12:08 PM, thett3 wrote:
The AP Government exam was even easier than the APUSH exam was

Great. Thanks! :)