Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Faking Ideologies

PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:17:52 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.

but all the sjws n sheit on this site are cancer
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:20:30 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:17:52 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.

but all the sjws n sheit on this site are cancer

No, I mean with the model UN. People here like to argue politics and religion (I removed "discuss" because really it's just people arguing) as well as insulting and demeaning people.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:22:30 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:20:30 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:17:52 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.

but all the sjws n sheit on this site are cancer

No, I mean with the model UN. People here like to argue politics and religion (I removed "discuss" because really it's just people arguing) as well as insulting and demeaning people.

the sjws n sheit are cancer though
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:23:28 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:22:30 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:20:30 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:17:52 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.

but all the sjws n sheit on this site are cancer

No, I mean with the model UN. People here like to argue politics and religion (I removed "discuss" because really it's just people arguing) as well as insulting and demeaning people.

the sjws n sheit are cancer though

I don't see how that connects, unless you think I'm referring to you.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:26:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:23:28 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:22:30 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:20:30 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:17:52 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.

but all the sjws n sheit on this site are cancer

No, I mean with the model UN. People here like to argue politics and religion (I removed "discuss" because really it's just people arguing) as well as insulting and demeaning people.

the sjws n sheit are cancer though

I don't see how that connects, unless you think I'm referring to you.

we can't tolerate dange sjw regressives n ultra-leftists
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:27:39 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:26:41 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:23:28 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:22:30 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:20:30 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:17:52 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.

but all the sjws n sheit on this site are cancer

No, I mean with the model UN. People here like to argue politics and religion (I removed "discuss" because really it's just people arguing) as well as insulting and demeaning people.

the sjws n sheit are cancer though

I don't see how that connects, unless you think I'm referring to you.

we can't tolerate dange sjw regressives n ultra-leftists

I'm referring to "in general". Everyone on all sides of the spectrum on this site insult and demean everyone who disagrees with them.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 4:28:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 4:27:39 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:26:41 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:23:28 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:22:30 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:20:30 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:17:52 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:15:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:07:19 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 4:05:14 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never had the case of a friend having any more of a negative or positive opinion of me for supporting Trump, or anybody I know for the matter (except for a couple SJWturds)

Dunno why you're too scared to express your political views socially.

I mentioned Trump because of how controversial he is.

But I forgot to mention my actual political views, nobody I know really cares what they are and most people my age I know don't care much about politics. Though when I went to a model UN event where nearly everybody cared about politics, nobody really saw me any differently for my views, they just liked to argue and discuss politics without insulting or demeaning people.

Sounds like the exact opposite of this site.

but all the sjws n sheit on this site are cancer

No, I mean with the model UN. People here like to argue politics and religion (I removed "discuss" because really it's just people arguing) as well as insulting and demeaning people.

the sjws n sheit are cancer though

I don't see how that connects, unless you think I'm referring to you.

we can't tolerate dange sjw regressives n ultra-leftists

I'm referring to "in general". Everyone on all sides of the spectrum on this site insult and demean everyone who disagrees with them.

gotta insult and do whatever to sjws
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 5:28:13 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I lie about my religious beliefs and simply never talk about my political ideology.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 5:29:47 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 5:28:13 AM, n7 wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I lie about my religious beliefs and simply never talk about my political ideology.

Why?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 5:36:46 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 5:29:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 5:28:13 AM, n7 wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I lie about my religious beliefs and simply never talk about my political ideology.

Why?

My parents are extremely religious and I don't know how they would react. It would also be really awkward to talk about political matters with them since they're on the extreme christian right and quite adamant about it, while I'm ultra left. They tolerate the belief, but it's just best left alone.

I do sometimes talk about political matters with my sister because she's not right wing nor a fundamentalist, but I still don't know how she would react to my religious views.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 5:40:56 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 5:36:46 AM, n7 wrote:
At 8/27/2016 5:29:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 5:28:13 AM, n7 wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I lie about my religious beliefs and simply never talk about my political ideology.

Why?

My parents are extremely religious and I don't know how they would react. It would also be really awkward to talk about political matters with them since they're on the extreme christian right and quite adamant about it, while I'm ultra left. They tolerate the belief, but it's just best left alone.

I do sometimes talk about political matters with my sister because she's not right wing nor a fundamentalist, but I still don't know how she would react to my religious views.

That sucks.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 6:41:52 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Well, I've never felt the need to "fake" my ideology. I have like four or five "good friends," all of different ideologies but somewhere around the same region on the political spectrum, and I'm probably the most leftist.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 5:03:05 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

If the person your speaking with is such an a$$hole that cant be friends while disagreeing with you then your better off not talking to them.
Im not a Nazi
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 5:45:30 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
The answer is no, I've never really "hidden" any of my beliefs for fear of a negative reaction. I think it could mainly be perhaps because I don't have a lot of *strong* opinions on certain issues. For example, I believe in God but if someone expresses their atheistic views to me, I would just nod and try to see where they're coming from, rather than attempt to convert them to Christianity or start a heated argument (unless their opinions are completely ridiculous). Also, I think it's okay to disagree but if someone simply cannot accept that my beliefs/opinions are in conflict with their own, then I really don't see the point of any sort of relationship/friendship with that person.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 9:38:47 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively.
You could try to derp your way out of that situation. But that could backfire as well.

I think it's one of those inevitable things.

So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed.
Ideology (as concept, not the common use) is regurgitated chatter, robotic speech. It is the formation of ideas and beliefs that, through distortion or dissimulation, grant legitimacy to a particular order or power structure.

Opinions reveal these power relations. And whoever you spend time with will repeatedly remind you of that structure's hold on him/her. If someone, for instance, were to ritually listen to Rush Limbaugh on talk radio on a daily basis, and then compulsively share the "information" with you, it may strike you as unbearable. Unless, of course, you were already under that spell yourself. In that case you'd join in.

How about you?
In a sober setting -- where I can't joke it off or derp it out -- I just wait and see where the conversation goes. And if it's a bridge too far -- that is to say, I realize that I'm facing someone whom I'd identify as a sleepwalker under the power of some repulsive power structure -- I'd politely walk away.
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 11:22:46 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I have been thinking about faking my view points on DDO for a while just to see how many people I can get to like me for someone who I am not but only tell them what they want to hear. I think it would be an interesting experiment. Although I think it would be near impossible for me to do as I can't comprehend the logic that goes with the opposite of my view points. I think they would see right through my phoniness just like I see through theirs.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 10:40:26 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

IRL, when I meet people like so, I just remain neutral (Especially if they are considerably larger than me)
Meh!
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 11:39:46 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 5:36:46 AM, n7 wrote:
At 8/27/2016 5:29:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/27/2016 5:28:13 AM, n7 wrote:
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I lie about my religious beliefs and simply never talk about my political ideology.

Why?

My parents are extremely religious and I don't know how they would react. It would also be really awkward to talk about political matters with them since they're on the extreme christian right and quite adamant about it, while I'm ultra left. They tolerate the belief, but it's just best left alone.

I do sometimes talk about political matters with my sister because she's not right wing nor a fundamentalist, but I still don't know how she would react to my religious views.

I have the same problem.

My parents and most people I meet on a day-to-day basis, happen to be extremely Catholic. When it comes to political beliefs, my family and I are all roughly centre-left, although they have a more conservative stance on social issues, while I am not as left as them, when it comes to the economy.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello
foxxhajti
Posts: 479
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 11:51:24 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 1:59:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
You just met someone. You really hit it off with them. They're interesting, they're funny, but suddenly the topic goes onto something political and/or religious. As they begin to babble their opinion, you come to realize that if you express your own, which is in stark contrast to theirs, they will most likely react quite negatively. Here's another scenario: you enter a new social setting (website, school, etc.) that seems quite interesting, but unfortunately the political and/or religious atmosphere is quite different than what you believe. So, what am I trying to say here? Well, sometimes expressing your "opinion" about something can have negative social and relationship ramifications. So much so that sometimes people could even no longer be friends with you because of your views that are suddenly revealed. Perhaps your views are certainly not spotless from controversy, or you are literally just a victim of circumstances. So, the question is, have you ever hidden and/or lied about your political and/or religious views for social acceptance, fear of being mocked and/or ridiculed, to be friends with someone, etc.? As for myself, I rarely, if ever, express any of my "real" views. Most of the times I just either strawman myself or joke about it. How about you? Discuss.

I never tell anyone about my religious beliefs, since most people in my country are militant Catholics. My opinions have gotten me into arguments with a few friends in the past. I've been blocked by a few people before due to my political ideology, even though it's nothing radical. I have also been attacked by a few feminists for believing that third wave feminism is unnecessary.

On this website, most negativity I've received was from Christians, mostly in the Religious forum. I enjoy discussing the Abrahamic religions, even though I'm an Atheist/Agnostic, but sometimes, I get backlash by some religious people, even though most of my posts on religion are either constructive criticisms of the scriptures or I'm just making an explanation for a text, due to my years of studying the Bible.

I tend to hide my opinions and views a lot, especially in real life, to avoid a bunch of drama and all.
"It's interesting to observe that almost all truly worthy men have simple manners, and that simple manners are almost always taken as a sign of little worth" - Giacomo Leopardi

"It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other." - Francesco Petrarca

"You too must not count too much on your reality as you feel it today, since like yesterday, it may prove an illusion for you tomorrow." - Luigi Pirandello