Total Posts:196|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

The 35,000 Post AMA, brought to you by YYW

YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,848
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 10:10:48 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

What's your opinion on the Shah?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 10:29:34 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Honest opinion? ;D
Im not a Nazi
MrVindication
Posts: 86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2016 10:41:09 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Should Bill Clinton have intervened in Rwanda?
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:16:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:10:48 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What's your opinion on the Shah?

I assume you're referring to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran, and if so, this is an excellent question.

The Shah cooperated with the United States and the West, in general, which was awesome. He was a reliable ally, and never really caused trouble for us. He also kept things in order, and profoundly liberalized the country with the goal of making Iran a regional leader and bringing the country into the modern world by passing laws which facilitated gender equality, women's suffrage, and a whole bunch of other good stuff. But most of all, he was secular. He more or less got along with Israel, and his leadership in Iran made it look like that country was going to be the United State's equivalent of Israel in South Asia. The goal was to triangulate relations with Israel and Iran, to ensure the stability of the middle east for centuries to come.

Jimmy Carter, for reasons far beyond the scope of your question, ruined any hope of that. Jimmy Carter, the worst and most utterly inane president the United States has EVER had, singlehandedly caused the destruction of the United States' working relationship with Iran, and Iran started to get way out of hand. There was a revolution which was horribly mismanaged, a hostage crisis, and the ultimate ouster of our friend and ally, the Shah. The narrative now is that the Shah was the West's puppet which is total bullsh!t. The Shah brought Iran into the modern world, and the fvcking fundamentalists drug Iran back to the third century BC.

So, I liked the guy. If only Jimmy Carter hadn't been elected president, the United States may have had a working relationship with Iran, George Bush would have never had occasion to invade Iraq, and ISIS wouldn't exist. I've said it before and I've said it again, Jimmy Carter is the sole proximate cause of each and every problem that we see in the Middle East now. The reason for that is because everything now goes back to what happened in 1979, and the only reason that what happened in 1979 happened at all was because of Jimmy Carter's incompetence from the say he took office in 1977.

Jimmy Carter is, was, and will likely forever remain, the single most destructive force that has ever existed in the Oval Office. The damage he did continues to haunt the United States and the world to this day.
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,848
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:23:11 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:16:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:10:48 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What's your opinion on the Shah?

I assume you're referring to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran, and if so, this is an excellent question.

The Shah cooperated with the United States and the West, in general, which was awesome. He was a reliable ally, and never really caused trouble for us. He also kept things in order, and profoundly liberalized the country with the goal of making Iran a regional leader and bringing the country into the modern world by passing laws which facilitated gender equality, women's suffrage, and a whole bunch of other good stuff. But most of all, he was secular. He more or less got along with Israel, and his leadership in Iran made it look like that country was going to be the United State's equivalent of Israel in South Asia. The goal was to triangulate relations with Israel and Iran, to ensure the stability of the middle east for centuries to come.

Jimmy Carter, for reasons far beyond the scope of your question, ruined any hope of that. Jimmy Carter, the worst and most utterly inane president the United States has EVER had, singlehandedly caused the destruction of the United States' working relationship with Iran, and Iran started to get way out of hand. There was a revolution which was horribly mismanaged, a hostage crisis, and the ultimate ouster of our friend and ally, the Shah. The narrative now is that the Shah was the West's puppet which is total bullsh!t. The Shah brought Iran into the modern world, and the fvcking fundamentalists drug Iran back to the third century BC.

So, I liked the guy. If only Jimmy Carter hadn't been elected president, the United States may have had a working relationship with Iran, George Bush would have never had occasion to invade Iraq, and ISIS wouldn't exist. I've said it before and I've said it again, Jimmy Carter is the sole proximate cause of each and every problem that we see in the Middle East now. The reason for that is because everything now goes back to what happened in 1979, and the only reason that what happened in 1979 happened at all was because of Jimmy Carter's incompetence from the say he took office in 1977.

Jimmy Carter is, was, and will likely forever remain, the single most destructive force that has ever existed in the Oval Office. The damage he did continues to haunt the United States and the world to this day.

You're the only person I asked that who has expressed a positive opinion of him. Now, the last remaining son of the Pahlavi dynasty said that it's Iran's decision whether they want a democracy, or whether they want the return of a constitutional monarchy. There's been recent talk about people looking back at the Shah's reign with nostalgic thought. Do you think that Iran will ever secularize in the near future? If so, do you think it would be through protest, revolution, or military intervention? Will the Imperial State of Persia come back?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:26:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:29:34 PM, Capital wrote:

Honest opinion? ;D

I think you're a socially awkward kid who has tremendous difficulty fitting in with people who is used to being ostracized (best case) or rejected (worst case) likely because you're weird insofar as you do not fit in with most kids, and not the popular crowd by any measure.

I think you probably have Aspergers and ADHD (which is not a bad thing), because in addition to being highly distractible you also have almost no ability to measure how you come across to other people or to anticipate how other people will react to what you do. However, because of this deficiency, you've developed the coping mechanism of preempting rejection with intense sarcasm and condescension (i.e. you mock others before they can reject you, so that preserves in some sense your emotional wellbeing).

I think as well that the sort of anti-social behaviors you demonstrate, though, have much less to do with you actually having, for example, an anti-social type personality disorder (for example, sociopathy or borderline personality disorder) than they are the proximate reflection of how you "defend yourself" from the emotional gravity of being outcast from your peers.

All of that being the case... it is exactly why you have made yourself known as you have on DDO in the way that you did, namely, because these behaviors you have learned as a result of trying to cope with those experiences, and it is at the same time the reason why you didn't likely know any other way to make an introduction. You did the best you could, but it caused a lot of negativity to come your way.

The great irony, of course, being that if there was ANY place where you could actually just be yourself and be safe to actually make friends or at the very least learn to do that, this (i.e. DDO) is it, but you may have cost yourself the chance due to what you've done over the past few weeks that you've been back.

I can forgive, because I see you just as a kid who is having a hard time trying to figure out how to be social with other people. But I don't know if others can, and if they couldn't, I'd understand. You I hope will learn, but really I don't know. You've got a lot of work to do.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:28:49 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:41:09 PM, MrVindication wrote:

Should Bill Clinton have intervened in Rwanda?

Yes, without question.
Tsar of DDO
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:29:26 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:26:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:29:34 PM, Capital wrote:

Honest opinion? ;D

I think you're a socially awkward kid who has tremendous difficulty fitting in with people who is used to being ostracized (best case) or rejected (worst case) likely because you're weird insofar as you do not fit in with most kids, and not the popular crowd by any measure.

I think you probably have Aspergers and ADHD (which is not a bad thing), because in addition to being highly distractible you also have almost no ability to measure how you come across to other people or to anticipate how other people will react to what you do. However, because of this deficiency, you've developed the coping mechanism of preempting rejection with intense sarcasm and condescension (i.e. you mock others before they can reject you, so that preserves in some sense your emotional wellbeing).

I think as well that the sort of anti-social behaviors you demonstrate, though, have much less to do with you actually having, for example, an anti-social type personality disorder (for example, sociopathy or borderline personality disorder) than they are the proximate reflection of how you "defend yourself" from the emotional gravity of being outcast from your peers.

All of that being the case... it is exactly why you have made yourself known as you have on DDO in the way that you did, namely, because these behaviors you have learned as a result of trying to cope with those experiences, and it is at the same time the reason why you didn't likely know any other way to make an introduction. You did the best you could, but it caused a lot of negativity to come your way.

The great irony, of course, being that if there was ANY place where you could actually just be yourself and be safe to actually make friends or at the very least learn to do that, this (i.e. DDO) is it, but you may have cost yourself the chance due to what you've done over the past few weeks that you've been back.

I can forgive, because I see you just as a kid who is having a hard time trying to figure out how to be social with other people. But I don't know if others can, and if they couldn't, I'd understand. You I hope will learn, but really I don't know. You've got a lot of work to do.

Omfg you dedicated 6 paragraphs to me

I'm homoured
Im not a Nazi
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,384
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:29:27 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:26:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:29:34 PM, Capital wrote:

Honest opinion? ;D

I think you're a socially awkward kid who has tremendous difficulty fitting in with people who is used to being ostracized (best case) or rejected (worst case) likely because you're weird insofar as you do not fit in with most kids, and not the popular crowd by any measure.

I think you probably have Aspergers and ADHD (which is not a bad thing), because in addition to being highly distractible you also have almost no ability to measure how you come across to other people or to anticipate how other people will react to what you do. However, because of this deficiency, you've developed the coping mechanism of preempting rejection with intense sarcasm and condescension (i.e. you mock others before they can reject you, so that preserves in some sense your emotional wellbeing).

I think as well that the sort of anti-social behaviors you demonstrate, though, have much less to do with you actually having, for example, an anti-social type personality disorder (for example, sociopathy or borderline personality disorder) than they are the proximate reflection of how you "defend yourself" from the emotional gravity of being outcast from your peers.

All of that being the case... it is exactly why you have made yourself known as you have on DDO in the way that you did, namely, because these behaviors you have learned as a result of trying to cope with those experiences, and it is at the same time the reason why you didn't likely know any other way to make an introduction. You did the best you could, but it caused a lot of negativity to come your way.

The great irony, of course, being that if there was ANY place where you could actually just be yourself and be safe to actually make friends or at the very least learn to do that, this (i.e. DDO) is it, but you may have cost yourself the chance due to what you've done over the past few weeks that you've been back.

I can forgive, because I see you just as a kid who is having a hard time trying to figure out how to be social with other people. But I don't know if others can, and if they couldn't, I'd understand. You I hope will learn, but really I don't know. You've got a lot of work to do.

I think this is the only time somebody has ACTUALLY given an honest opinion on somebody.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
Capital
Posts: 588
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:39:17 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:29:27 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 12:26:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:29:34 PM, Capital wrote:

Honest opinion? ;D

I think you're a socially awkward kid who has tremendous difficulty fitting in with people who is used to being ostracized (best case) or rejected (worst case) likely because you're weird insofar as you do not fit in with most kids, and not the potpular crowd by any measure.

I think you probably have Aspergers and ADHD (which is not a bad thing), because in addition to being highly distractible you also have almost no ability to measure how you come across to other people or to anticipate how other people will react to what you do. However, because of this deficiency, you've developed the coping mechanism of preempting rejection with intense sarcasm and condescension (i.e. you mock others before they can reject you, so that preserves in some sense your emotional wellbeing).

I think as well that the sort of anti-social behaviors you demonstrate, though, have much less to do with you actually having, for example, an anti-social type personality disorder (for example, sociopathy or borderline personality disorder) than they are the proximate reflection of how you "defend yourself" from the emotional gravity of being outcast from your peers.

All of that being the case... it is exactly why you have made yourself known as you have on DDO in the way that you did, namely, because these behaviors you have learned as a result of trying to cope with those experiences, and it is at the same time the reason why you didn't likely know any other way to make an introduction. You did the best you could, but it caused a lot of negativity to come your way.

The great irony, of course, being that if there was ANY place where you could actually just be yourself and be safe to actually make friends or at the very least learn to do that, this (i.e. DDO) is it, but you may have cost yourself the chance due to what you've done over the past few weeks that you've been back.

I can forgive, because I see you just as a kid who is having a hard time trying to figure out how to be social with other people. But I don't know if others can, and if they couldn't, I'd understand. You I hope will learn, but really I don't know. You've got a lot of work to do.

I think this is the only time somebody has ACTUALLY given an honest opinion on somebody.

I know I think he has some real animosity against me. I think it's because I smashed him in the hangouts in regard to gay rights
Im not a Nazi
Sapphique
Posts: 4,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:42:18 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
What food have you eaten the most this past week?
Do you like raspberries?
Favorite classical piece of music?
If you had to lose one of your senses, which would you pick?
Opinion of Canada?
What's something you really want to try?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:42:32 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:23:11 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

You're the only person I asked that who has expressed a positive opinion of him.

Sadly, I'd be surprised if you told me anything else. A lot of people use the Iranian revolution as a sort of historical scapegoat to show that the United States should adopt an isolationist foreign policy paradigm, and, to the extent that that level of intellectually vacuous reasoning forms the basis of a person's knowledge of historical geopolitics and international relations, it's an argument that has a lot of currency with a lot of people--especially in the post-2003 Invasion of Iraq world we live in now.

The other side of that anti-Shah coin more or less comes from the anti-colonial progressive left which just looks for chances to castigate Western, and, in particular, American foreign policy for anything they possibly can. So, they twist the facts to the effect that "the Shah sold out his people to Western oil companies!" which is totally and provably false. But, it's the kind of stupid bullsh!t that goes pretty far with a lot of people these days.

Now, the last remaining son of the Pahlavi dynasty said that it's Iran's decision whether they want a democracy, or whether they want the return of a constitutional monarchy. There's been recent talk about people looking back at the Shah's reign with nostalgic thought.

That would be a positive sign.

Do you think that Iran will ever secularize in the near future? If so, do you think it would be through protest, revolution, or military intervention? Will the Imperial State of Persia come back?

Most Iranians want Iran to liberalize, and especially younger Iranians want a secular democratic state rather than the sort of barbaric theocratic abomination that forms the Iranian government now. I think that there are progressive movements building in Iran that are really laying the groundwork for a better future there. I think the Iran nuclear deal really forced a lot of Iranians to reevaluate what kind of a country they wanted to live in, and I think the Iranian government took note of that... because they had no choice.

However, change is slow, and we should expect that it's going to be slow because the landed powers within Iran are reticent to surrender power in any form. One thing of note I think to keep in mind is that one of the most incredible forces of change that have been and are currently driving change in Iran, though, are not within Iran. It's communication between Iranian Millennials and the outside world, through things like Facebook and Reddit and Youtube and the like. The Iranian government has really heavily censored those things, but at the same time, the kids are smart enough to find a way around it and they are sick and tired of the kind of country they live in. They want something more, and better.

I don't know if a return to monarchy is in the cards, practical, or even desirable; what I know, though, is that there is very much a real chance for change in Iran in the next decade, and the older and more politically powerful that the younger generations in Iran get, the more likely we are to see that change.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:51:24 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:42:18 AM, Sapphique wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
What food have you eaten the most this past week?

Blueberries, or oatmeal. I eat a lot of oatmeal and blueberries.

Do you like raspberries?

Love them.

Favorite classical piece of music?

Currently, it's the youtube music video I'm going to link you to. It's called Sunshine (Adagio In D Minor), and it is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com...

If you had to lose one of your senses, which would you pick?

Um.... none?

Opinion of Canada?

I like Canada, and Quebec in particular. I think Canada does a lot of things right as a country that the United States could and should learn from. That's not to say it's the best or that the US isn't awesome, but Canada is a pretty good place to work, visit and live. I've also liked almost every Canadian I've ever met. Though I think I should note I have not met Justin Bieber.

What's something you really want to try?

I'd really like to try this new restaurant in Chinatown that I haven't had the time to go to yet, but hopefully will sometime soon.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 12:53:07 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:29:27 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 12:26:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:29:34 PM, Capital wrote:

Honest opinion? ;D

I think you're a socially awkward kid who has tremendous difficulty fitting in with people who is used to being ostracized (best case) or rejected (worst case) likely because you're weird insofar as you do not fit in with most kids, and not the popular crowd by any measure.

I think you probably have Aspergers and ADHD (which is not a bad thing), because in addition to being highly distractible you also have almost no ability to measure how you come across to other people or to anticipate how other people will react to what you do. However, because of this deficiency, you've developed the coping mechanism of preempting rejection with intense sarcasm and condescension (i.e. you mock others before they can reject you, so that preserves in some sense your emotional wellbeing).

I think as well that the sort of anti-social behaviors you demonstrate, though, have much less to do with you actually having, for example, an anti-social type personality disorder (for example, sociopathy or borderline personality disorder) than they are the proximate reflection of how you "defend yourself" from the emotional gravity of being outcast from your peers.

All of that being the case... it is exactly why you have made yourself known as you have on DDO in the way that you did, namely, because these behaviors you have learned as a result of trying to cope with those experiences, and it is at the same time the reason why you didn't likely know any other way to make an introduction. You did the best you could, but it caused a lot of negativity to come your way.

The great irony, of course, being that if there was ANY place where you could actually just be yourself and be safe to actually make friends or at the very least learn to do that, this (i.e. DDO) is it, but you may have cost yourself the chance due to what you've done over the past few weeks that you've been back.

I can forgive, because I see you just as a kid who is having a hard time trying to figure out how to be social with other people. But I don't know if others can, and if they couldn't, I'd understand. You I hope will learn, but really I don't know. You've got a lot of work to do.

I think this is the only time somebody has ACTUALLY given an honest opinion on somebody.

I've been asked for honest opinions before, and I always give them. But, I don't really always have occasion to be as blunt as I was with Capital, here.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Posts: 4,612
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:13:57 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:

Honest opinion.

Do you like any of Trump's policies? If so, which one, and why?

If you could live any where in the world, where would it be, and why?

Do you own any pets?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Objectivity
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:45:25 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Are you a rationalist or empiricist? Or something in between?
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:47:54 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 12:16:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:10:48 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What's your opinion on the Shah?

I assume you're referring to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran, and if so, this is an excellent question.

The Shah cooperated with the United States and the West, in general, which was awesome. He was a reliable ally, and never really caused trouble for us. He also kept things in order, and profoundly liberalized the country with the goal of making Iran a regional leader and bringing the country into the modern world by passing laws which facilitated gender equality, women's suffrage, and a whole bunch of other good stuff. But most of all, he was secular. He more or less got along with Israel, and his leadership in Iran made it look like that country was going to be the United State's equivalent of Israel in South Asia. The goal was to triangulate relations with Israel and Iran, to ensure the stability of the middle east for centuries to come.

Jimmy Carter, for reasons far beyond the scope of your question, ruined any hope of that. Jimmy Carter, the worst and most utterly inane president the United States has EVER had, singlehandedly caused the destruction of the United States' working relationship with Iran, and Iran started to get way out of hand. There was a revolution which was horribly mismanaged, a hostage crisis, and the ultimate ouster of our friend and ally, the Shah. The narrative now is that the Shah was the West's puppet which is total bullsh!t. The Shah brought Iran into the modern world, and the fvcking fundamentalists drug Iran back to the third century BC.

So, I liked the guy. If only Jimmy Carter hadn't been elected president, the United States may have had a working relationship with Iran, George Bush would have never had occasion to invade Iraq, and ISIS wouldn't exist. I've said it before and I've said it again, Jimmy Carter is the sole proximate cause of each and every problem that we see in the Middle East now. The reason for that is because everything now goes back to what happened in 1979, and the only reason that what happened in 1979 happened at all was because of Jimmy Carter's incompetence from the say he took office in 1977.

Jimmy Carter is, was, and will likely forever remain, the single most destructive force that has ever existed in the Oval Office. The damage he did continues to haunt the United States and the world to this day.

Do you think the government before the Shah (the republican one led by Mossadeq) would have been a better alternative to the Shah's dictatorship?
MrVindication
Posts: 86
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:53:08 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Honest opinion
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:56:26 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 1:45:25 AM, Objectivity wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Are you a rationalist or empiricist? Or something in between?

I'm an empiricist, beyond math, logic, emotion, and language. So, something in between.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:57:08 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 1:47:54 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/28/2016 12:16:02 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:10:48 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What's your opinion on the Shah?

I assume you're referring to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, Shah of Iran, and if so, this is an excellent question.

The Shah cooperated with the United States and the West, in general, which was awesome. He was a reliable ally, and never really caused trouble for us. He also kept things in order, and profoundly liberalized the country with the goal of making Iran a regional leader and bringing the country into the modern world by passing laws which facilitated gender equality, women's suffrage, and a whole bunch of other good stuff. But most of all, he was secular. He more or less got along with Israel, and his leadership in Iran made it look like that country was going to be the United State's equivalent of Israel in South Asia. The goal was to triangulate relations with Israel and Iran, to ensure the stability of the middle east for centuries to come.

Jimmy Carter, for reasons far beyond the scope of your question, ruined any hope of that. Jimmy Carter, the worst and most utterly inane president the United States has EVER had, singlehandedly caused the destruction of the United States' working relationship with Iran, and Iran started to get way out of hand. There was a revolution which was horribly mismanaged, a hostage crisis, and the ultimate ouster of our friend and ally, the Shah. The narrative now is that the Shah was the West's puppet which is total bullsh!t. The Shah brought Iran into the modern world, and the fvcking fundamentalists drug Iran back to the third century BC.

So, I liked the guy. If only Jimmy Carter hadn't been elected president, the United States may have had a working relationship with Iran, George Bush would have never had occasion to invade Iraq, and ISIS wouldn't exist. I've said it before and I've said it again, Jimmy Carter is the sole proximate cause of each and every problem that we see in the Middle East now. The reason for that is because everything now goes back to what happened in 1979, and the only reason that what happened in 1979 happened at all was because of Jimmy Carter's incompetence from the say he took office in 1977.

Jimmy Carter is, was, and will likely forever remain, the single most destructive force that has ever existed in the Oval Office. The damage he did continues to haunt the United States and the world to this day.

Do you think the government before the Shah (the republican one led by Mossadeq) would have been a better alternative to the Shah's dictatorship?

I don't know, because it's hard to argue the counterfactual.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 1:58:50 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 1:53:08 AM, MrVindication wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Honest opinion

Truth be told I don't have a lot to go on, but based on what limited information I have based on the isolated instances where I've interacted with you, you seem like a reasonably bright and normal kid.
Tsar of DDO
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 2:25:58 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Congratulations on 35,000 posts!

What's the best place you've ever been to? (It could be a specific location or a general area. Doesn't really matter.)

Who are your top ten favorite active members on DDO?

What's your favorite debate on DDO?

How did you come across DDO?

What's your opinion on Milo Yiannopoulos?

What's your honest opinion on me?
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 2:56:23 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
This is my 35,000th post. Like every post I make, it's a new milestone.

It's been said that no account has more posts than I do, and I doubt any account ever will. Likewise, I have made the most substantive contributions in the broadest array of areas of any member. It's also been said that no member's posts even approach mine, in terms of either the depth or breadth of what I've written on, here. But enough about me...

I many ways, I think this is valuable because it allows me to sort out stuff I'm interested in, in a zero risk kind of way. I have enjoyed, very much, my time here. And as is tradition on every such occasion that I hit a numerically significant milestone, I extend an invitation for the present members of this community to ask me questions about anything they like.

As per usual, I will not answer questions that pertain to or solicit personal information, but I'll likely answer everything else. Whether you want to ask me about myself, something academic (like philosophy), something current (like politics), something not so current (like history), something meaningful (like art or music), or something entirely frivolous (like the latest thing I did on Grindr).... go ahead, DDO. Ask me anything.

Honest Opinion if it's no trouble.

Favorite genre of music? Any specific artists?
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 3:21:36 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
Do you consider yourself to be a nationalist?

What is a solution to the refugee crisis?

Who are your favorite modern politicians/political figures?

What is your opinion on France's crackdown against clothing like Burqas or Burkinis?

(Sorry if this is personal) but are you Norweigan?

What is your opinion on the Syrian civil war?
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 3:28:20 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 2:25:58 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
Congratulations on 35,000 posts!

Thanks!

What's the best place you've ever been to? (It could be a specific location or a general area. Doesn't really matter.)

My favorite area that I've ever been to is probably South Florida.

Who are your top ten favorite active members on DDO?

I don't want do list this because I feel like it would exclude people. I'll say that I like way more people than I dislike, and in general I think we have a very good community here.

What's your favorite debate on DDO?

I don't really have one, although I really like the ones Kleptin has done.

How did you come across DDO?

I came across it through another thing I did.

What's your opinion on Milo Yiannopoulos?

I think he's movement for the right in the right direction, though I agree with him about as often as I disagree with him.

I don't like the personality cult that surrounds him, but I do think that he has been a stick in the eye of the PC left and the hypocritical right, both of which are good.

What's your honest opinion on me?

You seem like a reasonably bright and friendly girl with a good personality, though my interactions with you have been pretty limited so I can only speak to the extent that I've interacted with you.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 3:38:56 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 2:56:23 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Honest Opinion if it's no trouble.

It's no trouble, but again, much like with the others, I think you're a reasonably bright and friendly kid and I have a positive impression of you on balance though my ability to have a full or comprehensive assessment of you is fairly limited due to the fact that we haven't interacted a lot.

Favorite genre of music? Any specific artists?

I like synth/dance/club music, like CHVRCHES or NERO. I also like Post Rock, Post Metal, and stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com...

and this too:

https://thegreatcold.bandcamp.com...

Listen to BOREAS, which is the second song. Also, you can download this album for free. It's awesome, and these guys are one of my favorite bands right now. Let the song play all the way through, too.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 3:57:34 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Opinion of this song?

https://www.youtube.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 4:05:31 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 3:38:56 AM, YYW wrote:
At 8/28/2016 2:56:23 AM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
Honest Opinion if it's no trouble.

It's no trouble, but again, much like with the others, I think you're a reasonably bright and friendly kid and I have a positive impression of you on balance though my ability to have a full or comprehensive assessment of you is fairly limited due to the fact that we haven't interacted a lot.

How often are you in hangouts? We could change that latter part.

Favorite genre of music? Any specific artists?

I like synth/dance/club music, like CHVRCHES or NERO. I also like Post Rock, Post Metal, and stuff like that.

I like CHVRCHES. My favorite song by them is Bury It. You may like Modestep, a similar band from London (https://www.youtube.com...). I've never been too much into Post Rock, myself, but I do enjoy the melodic aspect of it. I do like the Russian Circles, however.

https://www.youtube.com...

and this too:

https://thegreatcold.bandcamp.com...

I like that. I'm going to look these guys up.

Listen to BOREAS, which is the second song. Also, you can download this album for free. It's awesome, and these guys are one of my favorite bands right now. Let the song play all the way through, too.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
YYW
Posts: 36,303
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2016 4:05:46 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/28/2016 3:21:36 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 8/27/2016 10:04:14 PM, YYW wrote:
Do you consider yourself to be a nationalist?

No.

What is a solution to the refugee crisis?

Totally stop the inflow of all "refugees," forever. Send those that are in Europe now back to the Middle East. Stabilize Syria so that they stay there. Avoid civilizational collapses in the future by ensuring that the United States preserves order in the world.

Who are your favorite modern politicians/political figures?

Barack Obama, without question, even though I disagree with how he has handled Libya, Iraq, and Syria.

What is your opinion on France's crackdown against clothing like Burqas or Burkinis?

I fully support the French government's banning the Burkini and the Burka.

(Sorry if this is personal) but are you Norwegian?

I am ethnically of northern European descent, but no, I am not from Norway.

What is your opinion on the Syrian civil war?

I hate every single thing about it.

A lot of Americans make the very stupid mistake of assuming that the United States, because we are the United States, can just "know" everything there possibly is to know about, the minute it happens because we are that awesome. It's nonsense.

The US's ability to collect ground intelligence in Syria is pathetic, and it was even more pathetic before Washington started making decisions with respect to the civil war there, and chemical weapon use, etc. There was a profound difference between "what was happening" and "what we thought was happening."

The US intel community thought that Assad was just gassing people who were his political rivals. By "gassing" I mean "using chemical weapons against combatants and non-combatants for the purpose of causing them harm." There was a practical reason Assad was using chemical weapons, too. He was fighting ISIS, or, rather, what would become ISIS.

Assad's whole goal was not just to beat them, tactically, but to destroy them, forever. While I do not endorse the use of chemical weapons by governments against its people, I do, in this limited case, easily understand what Assad's goal was. What the Obama administration got wrong, because the US Intel community got it wrong (read: not Obama's fault) was the fact that this sudden change from being a garden variety dictatorial thug to someone who was violating the laws of war and about five international conventions on the use of chemical weapons was NOT something that just came out of the blue.

Assad has plenty of measures to kill off his political rivals, which he has used with considerable success, for many years. So, the question that the Obama administration should have been asking is "Why is this happening NOW?" What is different NOW, that hasn't happened before? What are we missing? They never got that far... they thought they understood a situation that they did not, and then made a bad policy decision on the basis of insufficient information.

Obama's "red line" came out just about the time that the US intel community came to their conclusion that Assad was just gassing political enemies. And yes, ISIS was a political enemy.... but ISIS wasn't just any political enemy. ISIS is a civilizational threat to Syria, the middle east, and the world. But, even though there would have been AMPLE opportunity to figure that out, Obama leaped before he looked.

However, he realized he jumped the gun and he was able to salvage the situation for which I'll give him credit. Obama got Lavrov to get the chemical weapons out of Syria without dropping a single bomb (which was good), but that still weakened the United State's interests in the region (which Lavrov knew, which is why he allowed it). So, it wasn't net loss, but it wasn't a gain either. Obama just got back to stalemate.

What should have happened is that Obama should have worked with the Syrians to get air strikes over the ISIS controlled areas within Syria, and Obama should not have actively pursued regime change in Syria. Regime change... it never works. While Obama was correct that Assad is a bad guy, there is no better alternative in the whole of that country who could take power.

So, what does all that mean? It means that the Syrian civil war could have been prevented if we had just allowed Assad to gas the people who would go on to cause ISIS to form. Personally, that's what I would have done. I don't like it, but it's better than the alternative, which is interfere and cause what we see now. But of course the best alternative would have been to simply never pull out of Iraq.

Food for thought....
Tsar of DDO