Jump to topic:

Best books for increasing EQ

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 7:09:02 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
I would like to improve upon my general EQ level. If anyone has any great book recommendations that could help me in this endeavor please feel free to share. Not really looking for self-help books or anything like that, but more along the lines of books that present scenarios or stories where high EQ levels really shine and in which I could gain valuable lessons from that I could then apply to my own life.

I'd appreciate it.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 2:39:39 PM
At 9/3/2016 7:09:02 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I would like to improve upon my general EQ level. If anyone has any great book recommendations that could help me in this endeavor please feel free to share. Not really looking for self-help books or anything like that, but more along the lines of books that present scenarios or stories where high EQ levels really shine and in which I could gain valuable lessons from that I could then apply to my own life.

I'd appreciate it.

What's EQ?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 2:54:12 PM
At 9/3/2016 2:39:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I'd appreciate it.

What's EQ?

Emotional Quotient (or emotional intelligence).
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:15:53 PM

I'd appreciate it.

Here is a list of my recommendations (you may have read some of them already):

-E. Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms [love, I guess]
-H.B. Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin [life and slavery in America during the 1800s]
-G.G. Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude
-Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
-Stendhal, Le rouge et le noir
-de Balzac, Eugenie Grandet [society]
-Dreiser, American Tragedy
-Malorie Blackman, Noughts and Crosses (I haven't actually read this one myself but it was enthusiastically recommended by my English teacher)
-Wilde, The Ballad of Reading Gaol (poem)

I'm not sure how musical you are, but here is a list of really good music to improve your EQ:

-Schumann Piano Concerto in a minor (1st movt)
-Beethoven Sonata op.109 (especially the 3rd movt)
-Verdi 'Rigoletto' (you'll cry during this opera, both the story and music are really moving)

Hope that helps!
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:49:24 PM

I'd appreciate it.

Be wary, most books on how to improve IQ and EQ are junk. You would probably have better luck looking through Google scholar research papers
Meh!
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 11:50:38 PM
At 9/3/2016 5:15:53 PM, missmozart wrote:

I'd appreciate it.

-Malorie Blackman, Noughts and Crosses (I haven't actually read this one myself but it was enthusiastically recommended by my English teacher)

I'm not sure how musical you are, but here is a list of really good music to improve your EQ:

-Verdi 'Rigoletto' (you'll cry during this opera, both the story and music are really moving)

Hope that helps!

Why block me babe :*(
Im not a Nazi
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:37:59 AM

I'd appreciate it.

Sons and Lovers, by D. H. Lawrence, Beloved and Sula, by Toni Morrison, Anna Karenin by Tolstoy, Wuthering Heights by Bronte, anything by Dunsany.

But I would actually recommend poetry above anything else.

As far as non-fiction goes, I love Santayana and Chesterton atm, and they both tackle great issues concerning human nature. I think you've already read Seneca.

http://www.ccel.org...

Mostly, I think that what is termed 'EQ' is just an ability to understand and manage your own emotions, and to recognize them in other people. To that end, most literature is helpful.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:53:10 AM
At 9/3/2016 2:39:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I'd appreciate it.

What's EQ?

Good Question... here's a solid answer:

While a high IQ can go a long way in helping you to be successful in the world, studies are increasingly demonstrating that your EQ, or emotional intelligence, is of equal (or perhaps even more) importance. Whether it"s sustaining personal relationships, working on a group project in college, talking with your boss, or managing your own employees, emotional intelligence plays a key role in how successful these interactions are or are not, often in ways we"re not even readily aware of.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 5:56:58 AM
At 9/3/2016 5:15:53 PM, missmozart wrote:

I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for the suggestions! I've read a few of these but not all, my favorite thus far being Tuesdays with Morrie.

I love classical, both Schumann and Beethoven reside in a Classical music Youtube playlist of mine but I'll certainly check out Verdi 'Rigoletto'!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:00:27 AM
At 9/3/2016 11:49:24 PM, Axonly wrote:

I'd appreciate it.

Be wary, most books on how to improve IQ and EQ are junk. You would probably have better luck looking through Google scholar research papers

I agree, which is why I included the no self-help book stipulation in my request. I find that I learn more efficiently through allegory and self-experience. I didn't think of Google Scholar though, I'll check it out.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 6:07:50 AM
At 9/4/2016 3:37:59 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I'd appreciate it.

Sons and Lovers, by D. H. Lawrence, Beloved and Sula, by Toni Morrison, Anna Karenin by Tolstoy, Wuthering Heights by Bronte, anything by Dunsany.

Thank you for the suggestions! I have yet to read anything you've listed so I'll certainly see if my local library has any of these in stock. Random fact: I received a letter from Toni Morrison once, lol.

As far as non-fiction goes, I love Santayana and Chesterton atm, and they both tackle great issues concerning human nature. I think you've already read Seneca.

Indeed, I have, but I will certainly look into both Santayana and Chesterton. Are there any works in particular by them that you found to be inspiring or impactful? They both seem to have a decent amount of material...

Mostly, I think that what is termed 'EQ' is just an ability to understand and manage your own emotions, and to recognize them in other people. To that end, most literature is helpful.

I completely agree.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 1:50:41 PM
At 9/4/2016 6:07:50 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 9/4/2016 3:37:59 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for the suggestions! I have yet to read anything you've listed so I'll certainly see if my local library has any of these in stock. Random fact: I received a letter from Toni Morrison once, lol.

Lol, what for? Imo, she's probably the greatest living novelist.

Indeed, I have, but I will certainly look into both Santayana and Chesterton. Are there any works in particular by them that you found to be inspiring or impactful? They both seem to have a decent amount of material...

Chesterton's 'Heretics', and 'Orthodoxy' are awesome. I like Santayana's 'The Sense of Beauty', and 'The Life of Reason'.

I completely agree.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 3:42:21 PM
Emotional Intelligence: why it can matter more than IQ by Daniel Goleman is a good one. It's like the only book I've read on the topic so I don't know enough to say whether it's the best, but it does a lot of comparing and contrasting of good vs bad emotional thinking and reactions.
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 10:07:36 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I've read a few of these but not all, my favorite thus far being Tuesdays with Morrie.

No problem. What did you think of Tuesdays with Morrie?

I love classical, both Schumann and Beethoven reside in a Classical music Youtube playlist of mine but I'll certainly check out Verdi 'Rigoletto'!
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome