I'm a bear with a seven-year-old account. AMA

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 3:36:45 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 3:16:29 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Also, before you ask, I prefer restrooms with heated toilet seats and bidets to the woods.

Honest opinion? Do you want my stupid questions?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 6:18:10 PM
Also, before you ask, I prefer restrooms with heated toilet seats and bidets to the woods.

Hmm... Honest opinion please.

Favorite book?

Chocolate, or vanilla, in general?

What genre of music do you listen to?

What's your favorite movie.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 6:19:02 PM

Do you plan on continuing your series on philosophy?
I don't have a signature. :-)
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:01:28 PM
At 9/11/2016 6:19:02 PM, Bob13 wrote:

^
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:13:32 PM

What should I do about moldy bread?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:48:09 PM
At 9/11/2016 3:36:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Honest opinion? Do you want my stupid questions?

Honestly, I'm not all that familiar with you. But the title says you can ask me anything, so I'm game for questions if you are.

At 9/11/2016 6:18:10 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Hmm... Honest opinion please.

I like you. You're very nice, I think we get along well, and I also think you're pretty fine.

I do think you hold some kooky and/or untenable views (the astrology/"people are entitled to their beliefs" line is a genuine sticking point for me), but I think your heart's at least in the right place, so we can talk to each other like reasonable people.

Favorite book?

I read a whole lot of different kinds of books, but the last time I was completely engrossed with a book was when I read House of Leaves by Danielewski. I think it offers a great example for people interested in experimental literature done right (which is a weird thing to say, but I've read a few different experimental pieces that seemed more interested in doing off-the-wall stuff for the sake of it).

Chocolate, or vanilla, in general?

Vanilla ice cream, but chocolate everywhere else (including syrup on top of the ice cream).

What genre of music do you listen to?

A whole bunch of different stuff. I've never liked metal or ______core music, but it depends on what I'm trying to do. I think classical (piano in particular, violin/cello as a close second or in duet) is one of the most emotionally evocative types of music I've ever heard.

But I also love all generations of jazz, I'm a big hip hop guy, and I sing along to older country music (I grew up with a lot of good stuff from the 90s before it got too pop-infused, but I also like going back to 80s and the outlaw country of the 70s). Folk, electronica, etc. I don't keep a running record of favorite songs or bands, or have all that much knowledge about its history or finer details (some people can tell you really intimate biographical details about their favorite artists, sometimes dating back decades, and I've never understood how someone's memory can be configured for that kind of information. It's totally impressive.)

What's your favorite movie.

I have a real soft spot for American Beauty. I watched it for the first time on my 19th or 20th birthday, which also happened to be the first time I dosed on mushrooms. It was a pretty incredible/emotion-pumping experience. I don't know it's something I could just sit and watch 1,000 times, but it definitely occupies a special place.

I also really enjoyed Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, so there's something to be said as well for the redux of Apocalypse Now.

At 9/11/2016 8:13:32 PM, Vaarka wrote:

What should I do about moldy bread?

That depends. If you have a mortal enemy, you could sit down to sandwiches as an "olive branch". Make sure you scrape the mold off one side (or turn it inward so they won't see it), and buy new bread of identical brand for your own sandwich. Make sure to load it up with really strong-flavored toppings (e.g., horseradish, sauerkraut, prosciutto) so it'll be difficult to differentiate the flavor of rot from the rest of the cacophony of flavors.

Make sure you've promptly disposed of the rest for plausible deniability, and freeze the loaf of bread so it looks like you actually go out of your way to lengthen the shelf life of the stuff you eat (even if they can trace the poisoning to you, you obviously don't want it looking like you did it intentionally).

You could also just grind some rosary peas and water into a fine paste and add it to their mayonnaise or something to be thorough, but you may as well ditch the shitty bread at that point.

At 9/11/2016 6:19:02 PM, Bob13 wrote:

I honestly have no idea. I've got a pretty fair amount of it written up, but the passion I had for doing it spontaneously vanished, as tends to happen when I've had my fill of this place after checking in for a few weeks.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:56:03 PM

1. Have you ever read Dead Souls? If so, what did you think of it?

2. What did you like about House of Leaves?

3. How would you address the problem of ISIS? What does a solution look like, and how would you get there?

4. What are your interests and/or hobbies outside of DDO?

5. What kind of beers do you prefer, if any? What kind of alcohol that is not beer? What do you like to do with it (e.g. straight up, mixed with stuff, etc.)?

6. Have you ever had a same sex encounter? What was that like?

7. How many states have you personally travelled to?
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:58:47 PM

First name:

Surname:

Sex:

Relationship status:

Sexual orientation:

Ethnicity:

Religion:

Conception of god[1]:

What theory on the origin of life on earth do you think is most true[2]:

Position on the creationism-evolution controversy:

What do you think happens when you die:

Most hated religion:

Opinion on human nature:

Political ideology:

Presidential candidate:

Most hated political ideology:

Opinion on feminism:

Preferred form of government:

Preferred economic system:

City:

Mother's maiden name:

Birthday:

Zodiac sign:

Browser user agent:

Current education level:

Assessment of academic performance:

Do you think you are intelligent:

Assessment of quality of life:

Assessment of level of happiness:

Attempted suicide:

Lost the will to live:

Number of "good friends":

Clique in School [3]:

Historical person you most admire (could be current):

Employment Company:

Height:

Weight:

Blood type:

Favorite color:

Favorite song:

Favorite TV show:

Favorite video game:

Favorite mythological creature:

Favorite movie:

Favorite quote:

Favorite art form:

Worst enemy on this site:

Best friend on this site:

Desired number of children (if any):

Vehicle (if any):

Your version of a "perfect society":

If you don't understand what [1], [2], and [3] mean, please view these polls respectively http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org... http://www.debate.org...

Who do you think should be DDO president?

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"?

What's your opinion on the degenerates that don't support Trump?

Would you be open to the possibility of a Matriarchy?

Why are women superior to men?

Would you approve of legislation to allow me to manually remove polls instead of waiting for airmax?

What's your opinion on anti-theists?

What's the point of living if not to enjoy each and every thing life has to offer?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"?

Jefferson Democracy vs Jacksonian Democracy?

Jefferson vs. Hamilton?

Where has the rum gone?

What phobias do you have?

Is a man entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Would you favor a parliamentary system instead of America's two-party system?

Opinion on Russia?

Favorite animal?

Would you die for what you believe in?

Would you eat an alive person to save your life?

Would you be willing to sacrifice yourself to the Leviathan to prevent man from killing each other?

Is God dead?

Favorite political theorist?

Opinion on Manifest Destiny?

What's your opinion on Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Edmund Burke, Plato, Socrates, Karl Marx, Murray Rothbard, Robert Mugabe, and/or Mohammad Reza Pahlavi?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:12:08 PM

Opinion of me?
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:39:06 PM
At 9/11/2016 8:56:03 PM, YYW wrote:

I have not. I honestly don't have that much depth on Russian Literature. I've tried to read different work from Tolstoy, Pushkin, and Dostoyevsky (not that three authors out of however many is a complete survey), and I just got bored partway through pretty much every time (I absolutely hated Anna Karenina, for example).

There was just so much going on there, from how the pages were printed, to the footnotes, to the actual story (and the full-story[ies]-as-framing-device), as well as the indices in back (with the narrator's mother's letters and stuff). It's one of the few books in recently memory I would unironically call a tour de force.

3. How would you address the problem of ISIS? What does a solution look like, and how would you get there?

I have no earthly idea. The information asymmetry between me and a hypothetical person qualified to make those assessments is practically uncrossable. I wouldn't even say I have a good ideological understanding of "the enemy".

My usual assessment is "fighting terrorism" is a worthless and prohibitively costly venture as measured by number of deaths, effect on expected quality-adjusted life-years, and the expected benefit in both cases per dollar of budget allocated to the problem (military, civilian intelligence, etc.). The three biggest killers of Americans are cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease. In terms of raw deaths, you'd have to string together approximately 450 9/11-magnitude incidents in a single year to kill the same number of people--and those not only account just for the top three killers, but have no bearing on deteriorating quality-of-life in the time leading up to death (and suffering of families, and medical dollars spent on life support and expensive treatments, etc.).

So, my "solution" would be closer to "stop spending so much time and money trying to solve for ISIS". In the full set of things we can easily, relatively cheaply, and reliably do to improve our quality of life, stuff like terrorism barely qualifies as a blip, and its importance is only magnified by people too lazy/afraid to do the relevant math.

Well, when I'm not working, I do stand-up comedy, I'm learning a new programming language, and I'm strengthening my grasp on German before I get back into learning Esperanto (which isn't a super wide-use language, but I think constructed auxiliary languages are really interesting).

5. What kind of beers do you prefer, if any? What kind of alcohol that is not beer? What do you like to do with it (e.g. straight up, mixed with stuff, etc.)?

I've actually taken a big liking to really dark, chocolatey stouts. There's a local Oklahoma brewery, Anthem, that makes one called the Uroboros. Phenomenal. I'm also a big fan of Prairie Bomb! and most anything produced by Brewery Ommegang.

Almost, but I was decidedly 100% not into it before anything serious was initiated. Went back to this dude's house to hit some molly (he wasn't a stranger or anything, he'd worked at this particular bar a while and was kind of a mutual friend), and it was cool and everything, but the vibe became super apparent near the end, and I was pretty much like "Listen, it was cool of you to invite me over, and I'm glad we stayed up all night partying, and I'll totally pay for my part of it, but I'm honestly not interested in [some stuff he had suggested we "try"].

Not as many as I'd like to have.

Oklahoma
Texas
Colorado
Kansas
Missouri
Arkansas
Alabama
Virginia/West V
Tennessee
Kentucky
Ohio
Maryland/Delaware/DC
Alaska
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:59:52 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:39:06 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/11/2016 8:56:03 PM, YYW wrote:

I have not. I honestly don't have that much depth on Russian Literature. I've tried to read different work from Tolstoy, Pushkin, and Dostoyevsky (not that three authors out of however many is a complete survey), and I just got bored partway through pretty much every time (I absolutely hated Anna Karenina, for example).

I hate Tolstoy, too.

There was just so much going on there, from how the pages were printed, to the footnotes, to the actual story (and the full-story[ies]-as-framing-device), as well as the indices in back (with the narrator's mother's letters and stuff). It's one of the few books in recently memory I would unironically call a tour de force.

haha all good

I have no earthly idea. The information asymmetry between me and a hypothetical person qualified to make those assessments is practically uncrossable. I wouldn't even say I have a good ideological understanding of "the enemy".

Fair enough.

My usual assessment is "fighting terrorism" is a worthless and prohibitively costly venture as measured by number of deaths, effect on expected quality-adjusted life-years, and the expected benefit in both cases per dollar of budget allocated to the problem (military, civilian intelligence, etc.). The three biggest killers of Americans are cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease. In terms of raw deaths, you'd have to string together approximately 450 9/11-magnitude incidents in a single year to kill the same number of people--and those not only account just for the top three killers, but have no bearing on deteriorating quality-of-life in the time leading up to death (and suffering of families, and medical dollars spent on life support and expensive treatments, etc.).

So, my "solution" would be closer to "stop spending so much time and money trying to solve for ISIS". In the full set of things we can easily, relatively cheaply, and reliably do to improve our quality of life, stuff like terrorism barely qualifies as a blip, and its importance is only magnified by people too lazy/afraid to do the relevant math.

Interesting

Well, when I'm not working, I do stand-up comedy, I'm learning a new programming language, and I'm strengthening my grasp on German before I get back into learning Esperanto (which isn't a super wide-use language, but I think constructed auxiliary languages are really interesting).

Why Esperanto?

I've actually taken a big liking to really dark, chocolatey stouts. There's a local Oklahoma brewery, Anthem, that makes one called the Uroboros. Phenomenal. I'm also a big fan of Prairie Bomb! and most anything produced by Brewery Ommegang.

Love stouts. Good taste.

Almost, but I was decidedly 100% not into it before anything serious was initiated. Went back to this dude's house to hit some molly (he wasn't a stranger or anything, he'd worked at this particular bar a while and was kind of a mutual friend), and it was cool and everything, but the vibe became super apparent near the end, and I was pretty much like "Listen, it was cool of you to invite me over, and I'm glad we stayed up all night partying, and I'll totally pay for my part of it, but I'm honestly not interested in [some stuff he had suggested we "try"].

haha ok I was curious, but that's about what I'd expect

Not as many as I'd like to have.

Oklahoma
Texas
Colorado
Kansas
Missouri
Arkansas
Alabama
Virginia/West V
Tennessee
Kentucky
Ohio
Maryland/Delaware/DC
Alaska

Nice
Tsar of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:03:04 PM
At 9/11/2016 8:58:47 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

First name:
Cody

Surname:
Franklin

Sex:
Male

Relationship status:
Polyamorous

Sexual orientation:
Straight

Ethnicity:
Caucasian

Religion:
Atheist

Conception of god[1]:
None

What theory on the origin of life on earth do you think is most true[2]:
Tiny self-replicating strands of RNA. Replicators formed somewhat spontaneously, and definitely fortuitously, out of a bunch of inert stuff floating around in a pool somewhere, and it just kept replicating.

But I'm also not a molecular biologist, so I default to believing whatever the smartest people in the field believe until and unless someone of equal or greater competency presents a better argument.

Position on the creationism-evolution controversy:
It isn't a controversy. A whole bunch of the public at large believe in creationism (or at least claim to believe in it), but it's pretty difficult to talk seriously about creationism in a room full of biologists. They've got way more advanced and applied problems to work on that build on a massive, evidentiarily robust, well-rested edifice of theory (in the scientific sense of the word, not the "It's just a theory bro" sense of the word people often get confused by), and they don't have time to humor a critic with no formal training or deep understanding.

More succinctly--selection has been observed, and practical applications (e.g., genetic modification being used to produce insulin for diabetics) have been developed. Evolution is generally true, even if we've still got stuff to figure out, and a lot of technology we use wouldn't work if it wasn't.

What do you think happens when you die:

The rest of the world moves on without you. People are really sad, and never stop being sad, but they eventually learn to live with it.

Most hated religion:
I mean, I don't hate religion. I think it's weird anybody still adheres to it in the information age, and I think zero people would believe in it if everyone sincerely committed themselves to training themselves as rationalists, but hate isn't the right word.

Opinion on human nature:
What part of it?

Political ideology:
I'm an anarchist-communist at heart (what I wish were true), but I'm a total pragmatist when it comes to actually doing stuff in the world (e.g., I think it's worthwhile to advocate for marijuana legalization, and that people who respond by saying "yeah but all law and political authority is legitimate you incrementalist" miss the point and don't care about improving human life as much as they believe they do). I also think capitalism has done more good on balance than bad (like, I imagine an alternative world where it never matured into its present form, and I think we would be significantly more impoverished as a species in its absence).

Presidential candidate:

Gary Johnson as the least of all evils (not Jill Stein, both because she's expressed some fairly wacko views and because she disproportionately siphons votes from Democrats--I have zero love for Trump, and next-to-zero sympathy for his earnest supporters), Hillary Clinton secondarily.

Most hated political ideology:
I'm less distraught with specific ideologies (like, most people will agree the alt-right and the regressive left are pretty much human refuse) than with people. I follow in the Bryan Caplan camp on why democracies produce suboptimal outcomes (and why the influence of elites is actually a pretty beneficent constraint on popular governance), and I think most people--even most fairly smart people--might benefit from following the Michael Huemer approach of political passivity [http://studiahumana.com...].

Opinion on feminism:
I think there are features of intersectional feminism that are still relevant and important (e.g., normalizing trans rights before we get into any discussion of the psychological health of people claiming trans identities).

Preferred form of government:

Preferred? None.

Preferred economic system:

I really, really like capitalism, but I would take a classless society under perfect conditions.

City:
Norman

Oklahoma

Browser user agent:
Like, what browser? Chrome, mostly.

Current education level:
Bachelor's and several professional certifications.

Assessment of academic performance:
i did gud

Do you think you are intelligent:
I sure do.

Assessment of quality of life:
I'm probably in the 1%, globally, of income, so I don't have a whole lot of room to complain.

I got a little bored, so I cut out some of the questions.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:07:09 PM
At 9/11/2016 10:03:04 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Political ideology:
I'm an anarchist-communist at heart (what I wish were true), but I'm a total pragmatist when it comes to actually doing stuff in the world (e.g., I think it's worthwhile to advocate for marijuana legalization, and that people who respond by saying "yeah but all law and political authority is illegitimate you incrementalist" miss the point and don't care about improving human life as much as they believe they do). I also think capitalism has done more good on balance than bad (like, I imagine an alternative world where it never matured into its present form, and I think we would be significantly more impoverished as a species in its absence).
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:27:35 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:59:52 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/11/2016 9:39:06 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Why Esperanto?

I think it's mostly because it's an artificial language. It's assembled from semiotic and syntactic elements of the dominant languages of the time (European languages, mostly). One of the main reasons it was constructed was as a kind of "intermediary language"--it's very simple, straightforward, pretty easy to learn, and deliberately admits of next to no exceptions. The hope was that, rather than one party having to completely learn the ins-and-outs of an entire language every time you encounter a different kind of native speaker, you could just resort to a common and utilitarian auxiliary language to make communication direct and effective. It obviously didn't take off in huge numbers (I think there are only a couple million worldwide active speakers, which I guess still isn't all that bad), but I think the idea is actually fairly brilliant (not least because it at least attempts to reconcile the benefits of a single world language with the worries about losing the cultural and cognitive uniqueness that comes from having so many different natural languages).

Love stouts. Good taste.

Delicious, and they're great session beers.

I also forgot to answer, I really like bourbon and gin most of the time. I'll drink bourbon straight until the cows come home (or with some ice and just a splash of sweet/sour), and I'm also a big gin & tonic fan (with a good helping of lime juice).
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 11:02:51 PM

Whats your opinion on hitler
Im not a Nazi
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 4:26:45 PM

What is your opinion of Noam Chomsky?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 4:45:37 PM
At 9/12/2016 4:26:45 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

I don't really have one. I haven't had occasion to really sit down and dive deep into his work, and I have pretty much zero biographical knowledge, so it would be unambiguously pretentious of me to try giving a substantive statement about him. I pretty much have him cached as "extraordinarily smart, also a libertarian socialist".

I should know more given my interest in linguistics, but I've got enough going during my day-to-day I just don't have the time to sit down and study deeply. Being able to carve out space for stuff like that is a university-style luxury I just don't get anymore (and, to the extent I do get personal time, Chomsky pretty far down on my list of practical priorities--like, I'm teaching myself a new programming language and refreshing myself on German right now, and I wouldn't trade those for extra conceptual knowledge about transformational grammar).
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 4:58:41 PM
At 9/12/2016 4:45:37 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I don't really have one. I haven't had occasion to really sit down and dive deep into his work, and I have pretty much zero biographical knowledge, so it would be unambiguously pretentious of me to try giving a substantive statement about him. I pretty much have him cached as "extraordinarily smart, also a libertarian socialist".

I should know more given my interest in linguistics, but I've got enough going during my day-to-day I just don't have the time to sit down and study deeply.

Not to mention your leftist-anarchist ideological leanings lol

Being able to carve out space for stuff like that is a university-style luxury I just don't get anymore (and, to the extent I do get personal time, Chomsky pretty far down on my list of practical priorities--like, I'm teaching myself a new programming language and refreshing myself on German right now, and I wouldn't trade those for extra conceptual knowledge about transformational grammar).
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:20:59 PM
At 9/12/2016 4:58:41 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 9/12/2016 4:45:37 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

I should know more given my interest in linguistics, but I've got enough going during my day-to-day I just don't have the time to sit down and study deeply.

Not to mention your leftist-anarchist ideological leanings lol

Yeah, I guess that too.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:39:58 PM
At 9/11/2016 8:48:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Honest opinion of me?

Trump or Clinton?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:49:51 PM
At 9/12/2016 5:39:58 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Honest opinion of me?

I don't have a strong memory of a lot of people on here if I didn't already know them pretty well, frankly. So like, I remember YYW and Danielle, and, while I know of you, I admit I've forgotten a lot of the particulars.

I think it's weird you're a conservative and a Christian, but I assume you're generally a pleasant guy.

Trump or Clinton?

If this is a "gun to the head situation," Clinton 100 times out of 100. I have next to zero sympathy for Trump supporters (like, I understand why, intellectually--a lot of people are poor, uneducated, and desperate because they feel like something precious is threatened, be it their employment security, cultural identity, whatever--but I don't feel for them because I think their fears are bizarre and completely unfounded.

I think, further, even if you believe most of the controversy hubbub about Clinton--corrupt, flip-flop pragmatist, nepotism, general game-player--I think that's several times better than total intellectual bankruptcy (and I not only think Trump isn't particularly smart--I follow Sam Harris' view that Trump's also not playing the fool or a goofy character while concealing some kind of deep inner strategic intelligence--it's total vacuousness all the way down. I used to believe he was just kind of a manipulative high-level game-player, but time and repetition have steadily eroded my probability estimate.

Relevant clip (I say clip, but it's like 30 minutes): https://www.youtube.com...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 5:54:52 PM
*still awaits* maybe by the time you get to me, Women will be equal to Men. :)
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 6:07:45 PM
At 9/12/2016 5:49:51 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2016 5:39:58 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Honest opinion of me?

I don't have a strong memory of a lot of people on here if I didn't already know them pretty well, frankly. So like, I remember YYW and Danielle, and, while I know of you, I admit I've forgotten a lot of the particulars.

That's fair. :)

I think it's weird you're a conservative and a Christian, but I assume you're generally a pleasant guy.

Could you explain why you think that's odd?

Trump or Clinton?

If this is a "gun to the head situation," Clinton 100 times out of 100. I have next to zero sympathy for Trump supporters (like, I understand why, intellectually--a lot of people are poor, uneducated, and desperate because they feel like something precious is threatened, be it their employment security, cultural identity, whatever--but I don't feel for them because I think their fears are bizarre and completely unfounded.

I think, further, even if you believe most of the controversy hubbub about Clinton--corrupt, flip-flop pragmatist, nepotism, general game-player--I think that's several times better than total intellectual bankruptcy (and I not only think Trump isn't particularly smart--I follow Sam Harris' view that Trump's also not playing the fool or a goofy character while concealing some kind of deep inner strategic intelligence--it's total vacuousness all the way down. I used to believe he was just kind of a manipulative high-level game-player, but time and repetition have steadily eroded my probability estimate.

Relevant clip (I say clip, but it's like 30 minutes): https://www.youtube.com...

Lol, I see.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 7:04:52 PM
At 9/12/2016 6:07:45 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

By the rules defining what constitutes a well-formed belief, I think adherence to any religion is completely indefensible.

I should clarify what I mean on conservatism, because anybody being critical can just pull the "WELL BUT SURELY YOU AREN'T GENERALIZING ABOUT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WITH DISTINCT BELIEFS" card. More to the point, there are a lot of beliefs associated with contemporary American conservatism that completely conflict with my intuitions to a point I just don't get it. Examples include:

--anybody who advocates being "tough on crime". Like with Trump supporters, I think I get it intellectually. There's a base instinct that leads us to punish wrongdoing, and, when we do institutionalize revenge, we both feel really good about it and build up rationalizations around it whenever problems arise or we feel guilty (e.g., the notion of "owing a debt to society" paid in prison time, or dismissing sexual abuse of inmates with crude jokes and the vague insistence they "had it comin' to 'em" because they broke the law). On a moral level, I think it's bizarre we don't admit to the reciprocal barbarism, but, on a practical level, retributive justice just isn't particularly effective at reintegration or cutting recidivism. Worse, the fact that people are so retributive means not just that actual problems (e.g., malnourishment and stagnation in jails/prisons because there's so little funding available for proper meals, training programs, etc.) get thrown by the wayside or explained away, but that politicians have a direct incentive to agitate for increasingly draconian penalties for, say, non-violent drug offenders, and to prosecute nonsense cases forwarded to them by state and municipal law enforcement (I, for example, am presently among those being prosecuted for being employed at a shop selling glass pipes).

--I don't think traditionalism is good for its own sake any more than change, but improvement is by definition a specific modality of change, and I don't think that can be improved by pretending thinks aren't fairly broken, or that we should have a nostalgic "Make America Great Again"-type attitude when the "good old days" both didn't exist and, to the extent they did, weren't particularly good for a whole lot of people.

--I'm fairly cosmopolitan, straight out, so I just have a natural suspicion of anybody who stakes their allegiances by nationality, ethnic group, religious affiliation, etc.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 7:08:34 PM

Could you briefly trace the trajectory your thought has taken over the years? If I recall, you were an Objectivist at some point, and before that I imagine you identified as something else. For example, did you go through a phase during which you saw anarchism not only as an ideal, but also as a realistic arrangement based on a valid conception of human nature?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:03:52 PM
At 9/12/2016 7:04:52 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2016 6:07:45 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

By the rules defining what constitutes a well-formed belief, I think adherence to any religion is completely indefensible.

Ah, I see. Well, I guess I'm not totally agreeable to "conservatism" and all of its beliefs. I am conservative more than anything else, and insofar as it does not come into conflict with my religious beliefs.

I should clarify what I mean on conservatism, because anybody being critical can just pull the "WELL BUT SURELY YOU AREN'T GENERALIZING ABOUT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WITH DISTINCT BELIEFS" card. More to the point, there are a lot of beliefs associated with contemporary American conservatism that completely conflict with my intuitions to a point I just don't get it. Examples include:

--anybody who advocates being "tough on crime". Like with Trump supporters, I think I get it intellectually. There's a base instinct that leads us to punish wrongdoing, and, when we do institutionalize revenge, we both feel really good about it and build up rationalizations around it whenever problems arise or we feel guilty (e.g., the notion of "owing a debt to society" paid in prison time, or dismissing sexual abuse of inmates with crude jokes and the vague insistence they "had it comin' to 'em" because they broke the law). On a moral level, I think it's bizarre we don't admit to the reciprocal barbarism, but, on a practical level, retributive justice just isn't particularly effective at reintegration or cutting recidivism. Worse, the fact that people are so retributive means not just that actual problems (e.g., malnourishment and stagnation in jails/prisons because there's so little funding available for proper meals, training programs, etc.) get thrown by the wayside or explained away, but that politicians have a direct incentive to agitate for increasingly draconian penalties for, say, non-violent drug offenders, and to prosecute nonsense cases forwarded to them by state and municipal law enforcement (I, for example, am presently among those being prosecuted for being employed at a shop selling glass pipes).

I don't think I'm that tough on crime. I don't support the death penalty in the least bit. I know that's a view that seems to violate conservatism, but I don't think it's the central belief.

--I don't think traditionalism is good for its own sake any more than change, but improvement is by definition a specific modality of change, and I don't think that can be improved by pretending thinks aren't fairly broken, or that we should have a nostalgic "Make America Great Again"-type attitude when the "good old days" both didn't exist and, to the extent they did, weren't particularly good for a whole lot of people.

Alright, I see.

--I'm fairly cosmopolitan, straight out, so I just have a natural suspicion of anybody who stakes their allegiances by nationality, ethnic group, religious affiliation, etc.

So, do your beliefs just come about from personal decision? Because it seems you couldn't assign yourself to a set of beliefs if you're cosmopolitan and don't think well-formed beliefs can be all-encompassing.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:26:45 PM
At 9/12/2016 7:08:34 PM, dylancatlow wrote:

Could you briefly trace the trajectory your thought has taken over the years? If I recall, you were an Objectivist at some point, and before that I imagine you identified as something else. For example, did you go through a phase during which you saw anarchism not only as an ideal, but also as a realistic arrangement based on a valid conception of human nature?

I don't know how good my memory is, but I think the rough trajectory it took was something like

pretentious authoritarianism--Objectivism--general libertarianism--nihilism/AnCap--existentialism-flavored anarchist communism (this is where a lot of my continental influences came in)--hard rationalism with libertarian defaults/general pragmatism

I don't really claim a formal affiliation anymore. I don't disparage people their principled and consistent advocacy of anarchism, either. I think there's probably a place for that, and maybe those people just have more strength of character than I do. If you read some of my old posts, I used to be a pretty hot AnCap fireball, but I've way, way cooled off since then. I still think "but what about the roads"-level arguments are severely smug and oversimplistic, but I've adopted a more developed form of the general point, which is that central authority is both ubiquitous and pretty much inescapable (although I disagree with populists things would be better if "the people" were in more direct control of our affairs--I agree with Caplan the influence of elites is probably a net good constraint on popular government, and that democracies function suboptimally in spite of that constraint, rather than because of it). More condensed, I'd say that I agree with the fundamental anarchist points that there's no actual condition of legitimacy for political authority, and that the state is an inherent manufacturer of systemic injustice (both ethically and economically), but the bigger picture is the enemy isn't incompetent, and we're pretty much stuck in the trap with mega-low probability of escaping. I don't think that's defeatism, though--on the contrary, I think one of the most important subjects, often neglected in social justice discourse, is how agents optimize their behavior when constrained by the knowledge some level of injustice (e.g., government will exist, and the United States is going to continue to be governed exclusively by two parties for a pretty long time). I don't subscribe to the just-world view that there's necessarily a way for the good guys (i.e., anarchists of whatever flavor you like) to win--I think the enemy has us totally outfoxed at the highest levels of the game--but that doesn't mean there aren't meaningful ways for us to push back, change the field some, and resist (e.g., ending the Drug War and releasing a whole bunch of non-violent people from jail. It's not Total Victory, but it's still a super-meaningful change to people who have been imprisoned).

So I'm more about achieving determinate objectives nowadays. I'm more directly politically active, and I'm marginally less selective now about who my allies are (I'll ally with hippies to pass better marijuana laws, for example, but I think opposing vaccines and GMOs is indicative of borderline cognitive handicap). I happen to have found a lot of friends among intelligent liberals with technocrat leanings, actually. I do think one of the big errors liberals make is thinking the world is going to be bettered by a vast and pervasive ethical turn--like, they agitate for people to adopt vegetarianism/veganism, and, while maybe there's an argument for that, practically speaking, I think subsidizing research/production of in vitro meat will expedite its commercial viability (which I think is only a matter of time anyway, so I'm not worried subsidies will introduce severely perverse incentives) and eventually drastically reduce dependence on factory farming for food (similar to how I think allocating more money to GM/biotech research grants will accelerate the development of precision agriculture practices)--but the takeaway is that applied science will probably beat "raising moral consciousness" 99 times out of 100, and should be our focus over trying to googe monkey brains into doing what we want, and I think smart progressives have a pretty decent handle on the data and how to work with it, even if the strategy they've built around it is a total non-starter.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:32:41 PM
At 9/12/2016 8:03:52 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

So, do your beliefs just come about from personal decision? Because it seems you couldn't assign yourself to a set of beliefs if you're cosmopolitan and don't think well-formed beliefs can be all-encompassing.

Can you rephrase that question? I'm not sure I understand--being cosmopolitan, the way I'm using it (which may be the wrong way according to standard political philosophy, I don't know) is refusing to politically privilege life based on membership in a political community whose belonging condition is a particular identity (so, nationality, or a common language, or being documented), or at least levying the charge it's a poor criterion. That's not relevant to all my beliefs--like, I think that still allows me to prioritize the life of the woman I love over the life of a stranger (I'm a consequentialist, but not a utilitarian, so I'm generally pretty concerned with agent-relative good).
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:48:20 PM
At 9/12/2016 8:32:41 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/12/2016 8:03:52 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Can you rephrase that question? I'm not sure I understand--being cosmopolitan, the way I'm using it (which may be the wrong way according to standard political philosophy, I don't know) is refusing to politically privilege life based on membership in a political community whose belonging condition is a particular identity (so, nationality, or a common language, or being documented), or at least levying the charge it's a poor criterion. That's not relevant to all my beliefs--like, I think that still allows me to prioritize the life of the woman I love over the life of a stranger (I'm a consequentialist, but not a utilitarian, so I'm generally pretty concerned with agent-relative good).

It was poorly worded, I'm sorry.

If you were to ascribe your beliefs to a general class (conservative, liberal, socialist, libertarian, communitarian, etc.), what would it be?