Public Speaking

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:56:37 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/11/2016 8:48:03 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
I gotta radically improve my public speaking skills before February, any tips?

Drink water and preach the Qur'an
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:02:08 PM

Smile, you're allowed to look at some sort of speech card but don't stare at it, walk around, make hand gestures, don't look at any specific person (or rotate between them).
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:04:30 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:02:08 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Smile, you're allowed to look at some sort of speech card but don't stare at it, walk around, make hand gestures, don't look at any specific person (or rotate between them).

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:05:47 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:04:30 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 9/11/2016 9:02:08 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Sorry, I was supposed to add: if not allowed to look at a card, you can try to go on about the current topic until you remember enough to move onto the next topic.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:08:49 PM

Look in the direction of the audience but not at any member of the audience any longer than a few seconds. Look at the wall behind the audience.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 8:54:32 AM

Practice. Get your EXP levels up.
Meh!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 12:17:14 PM

Practice your speech out loud in the mirror, out loud to your family, out loud to some friends who are willing to help, etc.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 12:53:13 PM

Basically what Person said. It's important to not stand in 1 place, walk around, don't keep your hands behind your back, use hand gestures. Stray away from using "uhm" a lot.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 1:49:41 PM

Start giving speeches infront of your mirror. Once you are confortable doing that you can give speeches in front of us in the hangouts and we can critic you.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 7:38:23 PM

Experience doing it is the only way. Growing up, I used to hate public speaking. I ended up doing it for a job I had and eventually got quite good. The largest group I spoke to was 4000 people.

Break down the talk into pieces. Notate those pieces into an outline form and feel free to reference it to keep on track. Only notate the point to remind you what it is; not the content of it. The content should come freely. Stay on topic and don't wander. Flow is important.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 7:43:16 PM
At 9/13/2016 12:17:14 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Practice your speech out loud in the mirror, out loud to your family, out loud to some friends who are willing to help, etc.

yup exact suggestions when I took, most importantly RELAX, for the love of all that is, don't smack your lips like Chelsea Clinton did omg that was so annoying, how someone so educated and rich could be so dumb. Don't fidget, think about what you like in speakers and do that.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 8:57:42 PM
At 9/13/2016 12:53:13 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Basically what Person said. It's important to not stand in 1 place, walk around, don't keep your hands behind your back, use hand gestures. Stray away from using "uhm" a lot.

Who is Person? O.o
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 9:00:00 PM

I'd recommend giving speeches to a wall. It looks funny for those looking on, but it helps. Also, depending on the speech, try not to write everything you want to say. Trying to memorize that is much harder and generally leads to more stumbles in your speech. If you're speaking somewhat extemporaneously, just write down key points and know them well enough to speak about them -- not verbalize a written speech verbatim.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 9:15:43 PM
At 9/19/2016 8:57:42 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Who is Person? O.o

Her schizophrenic projection of her wants and desires.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 9:49:59 PM
At 9/19/2016 9:15:43 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 9/19/2016 8:57:42 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Who is Person? O.o

Her schizophrenic projection of her wants and desires.

Lol xD
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 10:06:49 PM

If it's like a prepared speech, you need to learn it off inside out so that your vocal chords literally have muscle-memory if that makes any sense to you at all, lol. Then, practise in front of a mirror so that you see what the audience are going to see (this will make you aware of hand gestures etc.) Practise parts of your speech and practise going fully through a couple of times. A good thing is to make a joke at the beginning so that people laugh, this will give you confidence through the rest of your speech.

Find every opportunity you can to speak in public, whether it's in class or joining a debating club/poetry aloud group. Practise speaking in front of all your friends and family and ask them to give you advice too.

Besides that, good luck I guess :)
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:08:50 AM

I did debating for 6 years and found that confidence increases with familiarity with the material and your own personal interest in it.

I also found that practicing prior to giving a speech made that speech going infinitely better than presenting it with little or no practice.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 12:26:15 AM

Hey, we're twinning with sig quotes. ;P
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 1:27:34 AM

Make sure you rivet your eyes to one person in the audience throughout the entire speech. Regularly freeze your face into a horrifying rictus, and 'look' around the room while nodding and frantically rubbing your hands together, but ALWAYS follow your 'mark' with your eyes during this 'scanning'. Try to avoid blinking, and vary your volume throughout the speech, often smoothly raising and lowering your voice while bulging your eyes out as you reach peak amplitude. Pitch, on the other hand, should be constant, and either very high or very low. Follow these few pro tips, and you will be sure to influence any impressionable audience.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 1:35:12 AM
At 9/21/2016 1:27:34 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Make sure you rivet your eyes to one person in the audience throughout the entire speech. Regularly freeze your face into a horrifying rictus, and 'look' around the room while nodding and frantically rubbing your hands together, but ALWAYS follow your 'mark' with your eyes during this 'scanning'. Try to avoid blinking, and vary your volume throughout the speech, often smoothly raising and lowering your voice while bulging your eyes out as you reach peak amplitude. Pitch, on the other hand, should be constant, and either very high or very low. Follow these few pro tips, and you will be sure to influence any impressionable audience.

if I may add, use profanity lots and lots of profanity
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 1:39:18 AM

I don't think about it until I go up, and that keeps the nerves down. Then I improvise. The only prep I do is letting my mind run rampant on whatever topic I'm talking about prior to the day of public speaking, and then I remember talking points and examples to prove my point.

It works pretty well for me, but I can see how my method can easily go really, really wrong.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 1:40:07 AM
At 9/21/2016 12:08:50 AM, Smithereens wrote:

I did debating for 6 years and found that confidence increases with familiarity with the material and your own personal interest in it.

I also found that practicing prior to giving a speech made that speech going infinitely better than presenting it with little or no practice.

I've never practiced a speech, and I've never gotten below an A. I don't even write notes sometimes.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 2:31:52 AM

Do not attempt to memorize a speech (unless you are required to do so). Instead, try to memorize an outline of a speech (what you want to say it what order) and some key facts or points you want to make. Pick 5 facts, not more otherwise it'll be hard to recall. And practice giving your speech to a friend or a pet or something a few times. Gradually increase the size of the crowd you practice in front of.

Do not obsess over the speech, otherwise you'll psych yourself out.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 9:05:17 AM
At 9/24/2016 1:40:07 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I've never practiced a speech, and I've never gotten below an A. I don't even write notes sometimes.

Doesn't sound really useful to the OP imho.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 9:09:11 AM
At 9/24/2016 9:05:17 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 9/24/2016 1:40:07 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Doesn't sound really useful to the OP imho.

I don't like thinking about things that may make me nervous a whole lot before doing them.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 12:23:10 PM

Just learn a lot about the topic online, get interested in it and convince yourself of the position you're supposed to advocate, and basically speak as if it's a conversation with a friend you're trying to convince.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass