Jump to topic:

Quitting smoking

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:03:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I plan to quit smoking next week, after I talk to my doctor (smoking effects my medication and I have to get it lowered probably).

Any tips to make it easier?

I won't be using gum or patch as it effects my medication(olanzapine). I am going cold turkey, and I've been smoking over 30 years.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:28:56 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:03:34 PM, janesix wrote:
I plan to quit smoking next week, after I talk to my doctor (smoking effects my medication and I have to get it lowered probably).

I won't be using gum or patch as it effects my medication(olanzapine). I am going cold turkey, and I've been smoking over 30 years.

Keep smoking and die
Im not a Nazi
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:31:41 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:28:56 PM, Capital wrote:

Keep smoking and die

That was uncalled for, and very inappropriate.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:34:30 PM

I'm glad you're deciding to quit. Just be sure to keep yourself busy, and occupied. People smoke generally to relive stress, so try other coping methods, such as meditation, maybe yoga. Start away from alcohol as well..
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:35:25 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:31:41 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Keep smoking and die

Just a joke
Im not a Nazi
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:37:12 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:35:25 PM, Capital wrote:

Keep smoking and die

Just a joke

It doesn't matter. It was inappropriate, regardless.

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:37:31 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:34:30 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I'm glad you're deciding to quit. Just be sure to keep yourself busy, and occupied. People smoke generally to relive stress, so try other coping methods, such as meditation, maybe yoga. Start away from alcohol as well..

Thanks Rosalie. I already don't drink alcohol, so it's one less thing to worry about. I do drink coffee though, and I plan to quit that too as I associate it with smoking too much.
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:38:02 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:37:12 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Keep smoking and die

Just a joke

Jokes are Jokes
Im not a Nazi
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:39:04 PM

Also I smoked before for about 3 months. So I cant imagine 30 years. Its too late if you cant use the nictone patches or the nictone gum

Its irrestible unless your very disiciplned which I doubt you are since you smoke
Im not a Nazi
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:41:36 PM

Well, I am highly against smoking so great on you. As for quitting cold turkey, that method is a bit hard. Normally people suggest counseling and medication. But if you really don't want to do either of that, I recommend occupying your mouth with something like gum. Most importantly, you need to find ways to decrease your stress level to replace smoking as what relaxes you. Whatever you do do not turn to alcohol. You'll just need to find what works for you best. If possible, you could also let a really trusted person in your life handle your funds to prohibit you from buying cigarettes. One of my cousins did the latter method in order to control their shopping addiction.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:43:22 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:41:36 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Well, I am highly against smoking so great on you. As for quitting cold turkey, that method is a bit hard. Normally people suggest counseling and medication. But if you really don't want to do either of that, I recommend occupying your mouth with something like gum. Most importantly, you need to find ways to decrease your stress level to replace smoking as what relaxes you. Whatever you do do not turn to alcohol. You'll just need to find what works for you best. If possible, you could also let a really trusted person in your life handle your funds to prohibit you from buying cigarettes. One of my cousins did the latter method in order to control their shopping addiction.

That reminds me

You can turn to alcohol too. I couldn't but you can, your over 21
Im not a Nazi
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2016 8:50:29 PM

It's different for everyone, but I would suggest keep trying, you may fail, try again and never stop, try everything until you find what works for you. Some can do cold turkey others can't. You can do it, just make sure you have realistic expectations and don't get discouraged, best of luck and wishes.
Just don't follow Uncle Buck "I'm on to cigars now. I'm on to a five-year plan. I eliminated cigarettes, then I go to cigars, then I go to pipes, then I go to chewing tobacco, then I'm on to that nicotine gum."
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:07:28 AM

Don't go cold turkey, ease into it so its more manageable. IE if you have say 8 a day, cut down to 7 for a week or two, then 6 etc. It would also be a good idea to tell supportive friends/family so they can help in some way.

Additionally, if your country/state has any charities/programmes that deal with this, you should utilize it, professionals know what to do.

Best of luck, I really hope you manage to quit, lung cancer isn't pretty (Trust me, I know. It killed my Granddad).
Meh!
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 12:00:48 PM
At 9/14/2016 8:38:02 PM, Capital wrote:
At 9/14/2016 8:37:12 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Keep smoking and die

Just a joke

Jokes are Jokes

I know what you mean, it's completely inconceivable that a joke can be socially inappropriate. I bet you're popular with the ladies~
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 7:27:21 PM
Olanzapine? It's amazing how society was ever able to function without the use of antipsychotics. No such thing as a psychosis. Maybe there is something amidst the one with the fear that others just can't see. No? Nothing better than a good psychosis to brighten the days from being abnoxiously normal. To be normal is to be in a state of ignorance. My pets aren't dumb. They know what's up when we're barricading the rooms which a machine gun mind with its thought on the trigger. Better stay out. We got monsters in the room. It's not just me. The dogs and cats can see them too.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 10:59:52 PM

First of all, congrats for choosing to quit. Though you have been smoking for much of your life, it isn't too late for your lungs to recover from most of the damage caused, so don't think that it's too late for you (unless maybe you've got lung cancer).
Studies have shown that going cold turkey is the best way to quit smoking, so you've got the right approach.

I would advise that you find a support group comprised of fellow former smokers; they'll help keep you accountable and you may end up becoming good friends with some of the people in said group.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 1:33:39 AM

Don't be disappointed when you fail. It's inevitable.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 4:19:53 AM
At 9/18/2016 10:59:52 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

First of all, congrats for choosing to quit. Though you have been smoking for much of your life, it isn't too late for your lungs to recover from most of the damage caused, so don't think that it's too late for you (unless maybe you've got lung cancer).
Studies have shown that going cold turkey is the best way to quit smoking, so you've got the right approach.

I would advise that you find a support group comprised of fellow former smokers; they'll help keep you accountable and you may end up becoming good friends with some of the people in said group.

+1
Meh!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 4:50:08 AM

Try meditation. It may seem like a joke, but if you listen to some meditation music it will really help you relax and take some of the stress off of you.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~