Jump to topic:

Romance and Fighting

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 9:12:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There's this issue that I've been wondering about for very long periods, and I still do. It is obvious that when two people are in love, they feel something special for each other. They feel that they mean everything to one another, they would do anything that is being asked by their partner, and so forth.

However, what happens is that after e.g., moving in together, quite a lot of couples start fighting, as if their romantic feelings were/are to no avail. It's no longer about sweet talk, doing everything for the "love of your life," and other delicious, romantic things.

So, can someone tell me a bit about their experience from someone they've been with for long, and had a serious relationship, too? Now, did you feel romantic in the beginning and continue (e.g., from a point to right now, and continuing), or was it very romantic in the beginning, but very dry later on, with fights etc.? If so, why? Why did the romantic feeling go, do you think?

It's not personal, but this issue has been a crack for quite a while. I truly wonder why people forget the romantic feelings they had/have and start fighting as if they never felt anything for each other. Of course, I know that bills, debt, etc. are huge factors in relationships which are in trouble, but despite that, couples still fight over things which they shouldn't...

I rather prefer males telling about relationships with women, but vice versa is not alienated.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 9:17:32 AM
It is true that early on in the relationship there is a honey moon period. It's new, it's fresh and the faults of your partner are either unclear, forgivable or even endearing. Beside the fact that both parties will be on 'good behaviour'.

Naturally that will change, couples will argue, it is natural. If there is no romance, only arguments, then it's a dead relationship. The trick is to make sure that arguments are a temporary state of affairs.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 9:48:02 AM
At 1/10/2011 9:12:38 AM, Mirza wrote:
It's not personal, but this issue has been a crack for quite a while. I truly wonder why people forget the romantic feelings they had/have and start fighting as if they never felt anything for each other.

They fight for the makeup sex
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 10:09:09 AM
Great topic. I personally believe that any relationship has its struggles, and getting through those struggles actually make the relationship stronger. The factors that can kill any relationship is dishonesty, infidelity, and lack of willingness to compromise.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 10:56:34 AM
Some couples, especially those that have just moved in together, think that their relationship is "special"; they believe that nobody has ever been so much in love as they are and they are of the firm opinion that the bonds that bind them together are so strong that nobody and no thing can ever tear them apart. (Cue the YouTube clip)

I was that naïve once: I was so enamoured by my girlfriend that my emotions interfered with my ability to make rational decisions, and despite pleas from friends and family, I made the biggest mistake of my life: I asked her to marry me.

What a prize idiot. What a fool. What a complete and utter, total, unmitigated, unadulterated nutjob I was.

Don't get me wrong, though, the first few years of marriage were the best in my life: we never said a crossed word.

But after a while, I began to get a bit bored of her company and, to be honest, I got a bit bored with sleeping with the same woman every night.

However, the real blow to the marriage came when my business collapsed due to the effect 9/11 had on the global travel industry and I told her it was time to reign in our spending. Sadly, she absolutely refused to accept the need to moderate her expenditure and refused even to contemplate such a thing.

It wasn't entirely her fault though: I married her when she was just 19 and still studying so she had never worked, and she came from a very privileged family that had never had any financial worries. Therefore, she never really understood that money isn't always easy to come by.

So, month after month I continued to pay off her credit card bills – it would have cost less to personally finance Britain's independent nuclear deterrent – then one day I just told her keep the house; keep what was left of our savings; keep everything but I was leaving for good, and I walked out with a suitcase full of clothes and drove off. I didn't see her again until the divorce proceedings.

This episode brings to mind one of Samuel Pepys' more famous quotes:

"Saw a wedding in the church. It was strange to see what delight we married people have to see these poor fools decoyed into our condition."

The only thing that makes me feel slightly better about the whole sorry tale is that I'm not the only person who has been ‘decoyed' into marriage only to bitterly regret it later!

And the moral of the story? "Marry in haste, repent at leisure."
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 10:58:17 AM
Thanks.

It's true, things change, which is natural. One moment you are excited about something, after a few moments you feel normal about that same thing. But, I wonder whether romantic feelings fade, or do we just forget about them. Sometimes people are sad until they remember how fortunate they are... And then they become happy.

When I think of it, I really wonder how I would forget my romantic feelings, or sort of weaken them through periods. Maybe it's because I am quote sensitive and haven't experienced personal romance, but when I think of being with a beautiful and warm-hearted woman, I seriously can't imagine forgetting romance. Well, I wouldn't be able to single out outer beauty, I think. E.g., I wouldn't marry Megan Fox because I'm sure one like her would make me feel paranoid, but if I did, I truly wonder how I would think of not feeling romance (if she had the inner beauty I desire, too). Well, dear me.

So, is it because we forget the feeling, or do we just lose it?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 11:17:46 AM
I've had five relationships lasting a year or more. I'm currently in my longest one (two years). In every other relationship, the 'spark' died out on my part every time but once. For that reason I've promised myself to be understanding if my partner in the future simply had changed feelings; after all I've had my feelings change about people many times before, and I've always been the heart breaker. I know it's not an easy position to be in.

I think the problem is that people enjoy being in relationships - and most times they're great - so I understand why people are eager to commit themselves to another. However I think if most people are truly honest, the one they're with is often not the one they see themselves being with forever (if they want that type of commitment like marriage, and I do). People date for the sex, for convenience, for the social aspect, for the romance and for the intimacy we all crave. But relationships are hard and take work: compromise and loyalty.

For the first time I am with someone that I respect SO much, that all of my efforts are worth it. I feel privileged and exceptionally grateful to be dating the woman I am. I think the absolute world of her. As such, for the first time I've found it very easy not to look at other girls. I remind myself to be patient, to compromise, and basically do whatever it takes to make sure our relationship is really healthy.

I think the mutual respect and adoration we have for each other is really the biggest factor in which keeps us so functional and happy. Because we think so highly of each other, neither of us wants to mess it up so we're always on our best behavior (not walking on egg shells - just appreciative of what we have, and not take the other for granted). If both people are making an effort to be awesome, then the relationship will be. Everyone we know says we have the best relationship they've ever witnessed, which is really touching and means a lot.

Mirza, despite the fact that you don't acknowledge my relationship, I truly hope you find as much happiness, love and fulfillment with someone in your future as I have.
President of DDO
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 11:27:33 AM
I've been with my girlfriend for over three years now and honestly we've had arguments about things, but nothing that lasted over 30 mins and there never was any shouting or name calling or anything.

The only time she ever calls me an assshole is when i hit her with a red shell on mario kart. Past that though we've never had an argument about anything big. In terms of money we're both frugal. She's much more intelligent than I am, and the spark hasn't died and probably never will.

In other words: This rocks.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 11:28:19 AM
At 1/10/2011 11:17:46 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Mirza, despite the fact that you don't acknowledge my relationship, I truly hope you find as much happiness, love and fulfillment with someone in your future as I have.

Evil lesbian filth! Have shame, Lwerd. I recommend corporal punishment.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 11:37:21 AM
Recently, we were having an argument and she walked out of the room, came back and handed me a SYLLOGISM of why she was right. I then took the pen and corrected it, and handed it back to her... she read it, and just cracked up laughing and then we made up :)
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 11:49:01 AM
At 1/10/2011 10:58:17 AM, Mirza wrote:
So, is it because we forget the feeling, or do we just lose it?

I missed this question.

In my experience, it's the excitement of bigger and better which has always been my downfall. Suppose you were with a girl who was great, but then you got a lot of opportunities with other girls who seemed absolutely fantastic. I was very attracted to a lot of people (blame that part on biology; it does have a role in this). I have a lot of types. I find a lot of things sexy. See, you seem to be very rigid with your type and you KNOW what you want. I suppose I didn't KNOW what I wanted. I was exploring what I wanted. I think that's why I value one part of my culture over others: dating over forced arranged marriages. Cliche aside, I'm glad I went through a lot of BS, because now I can put my awesome relationship into perspective. Other girls just simply never compare to my gf in my mind, so I don't think I'll "lose it" again. But I also recognize that you have to work at a relationship (that sounds so obscure lol but it's very true), and I am finally in one where all the hard work seems worth it. I'm not worried at all about this one ending. But che sera sera. Whatever will be will be.
President of DDO
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 11:55:33 AM
There's this issue that I've been wondering about for very long periods, and I still do. It is obvious that when two people are in love, they feel something special for each other. They feel that they mean everything to one another, they would do anything that is being asked by their partner, and so forth.

However, what happens is that after e.g., moving in together, quite a lot of couples start fighting, as if their romantic feelings were/are to no avail. It's no longer about sweet talk, doing everything for the "love of your life," and other delicious, romantic things.

So, can someone tell me a bit about their experience from someone they've been with for long, and had a serious relationship, too? Now, did you feel romantic in the beginning and continue (e.g., from a point to right now, and continuing), or was it very romantic in the beginning, but very dry later on, with fights etc.? If so, why? Why did the romantic feeling go, do you think?:

Love either ages like a fine wine or it goes sour.

At the beginning of a relationship it's new and exciting -- the honeymoon phase -- where people are on their best behavior to impress the object of their affection. With time, couples let their guard down, and the same imperfections that irritate us about a roommate or parent is no different for a couple living in close quarters.

You can love your mate wholeheartedly and still be annoyed with them at times, and them annoyed with you. It's bound to happen at some point, but some couples lose perspective on the matter. One partner snaps at the other, having felt personally attacked, the other partner makes a cutting remark to inflict the same damage they felt they suffered. So on and so forth.

The idea, obviously, is to exercise as much restraint and patience as possible. But a relationship is symbiotic and reciprocal, so you can only do your part and hope that (s)he follows your good example.

I believe that a relationship can only take so much strain before it is irreparable. Some wounds heal, but they heal with scars -- scars that don't ever go away. And, yeah, the relationship may survive, but why not let it thrive? Make every effort not to scar someone in the first place.

I would caution everyone to think very carefully about the words that come out of your mouth, and the actions we take. They may do more damage than you can conceive of. I would also caution who you let in to your world. Feelings of love are fleeting emotions. True love, a mature love, is one of sacrifice, not merely sentimental feelings.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 12:16:43 PM
Fighting is inevitable. If you are ever in a sustained relationship in which you have no disagreements, then one person is subsidiary or both are being dishonest. There's no way around that.

However, the nature of the disagreement depends on the person. More often than not, if you date an outspoken, candid, blunt individual, then you will end up in screaming matches. A person's personality will tell you everything you need to know--it really comes down to the personal inclinations of the people in the relationship. Not everyone has the proclivity to yell, throw tantrums, or hold grudges.

Problems over time, though, are completely separate. Many women--I even want to say the majority, but I don't really know that, although it does seem standard--enjoy fighting. This is particularly the case with men that are not quarrelsome; it appears that women enjoy confirmation through exception the most. In other words, if man is soft-spoken or patient, a woman will likely harass the sh*t out of him to get a rise from him. This isn't (necessarily) because she's sadistic, but more because she wants him to evidence in some way that he has substantial feelings for her. There's no better way, in a woman's mind, to indicate this than to behave out of character due to little ol' her.

This still does not necessary result in relationship problems, although it often does. Some men are privy to this little female characteristic and either will refuse to play into it and displace her desires by offering something else, which only sometimes works, depending on the displacement. Other men understand, but still refuse to tolerate it and leave anyway. Most men, however, just don't get wtf is going on and will just fight with her forever, causing serious problems. Often, in the woman's head, she'll feel justified because, "he's fighting to hide that he loves me!!"

Many men have a rather polar approach. They will become comfortable, at which point, they will become lazy. All manner of affection and consideration fall by the wayside, because he feels that it is all unspoken and understood. While women feed from repetition, men tire from it. This, obviously, is counterintuitive, and ultimately results in exacerbation.

On the other hand, in my humble opinion, relationships sour, because people just lose interest. Love is easy to think you have and its sensation is dependent on a myriad of things, many of which have nothing to do with your partner. It includes your parents, your childhood, your overall social life, and your social perspectives. They also depend on your compatibility, though--most importantly, your sexual and monetary compatibility. If both partner's expectations in money and sex are fulfilled, then they will likely stay together forever, no matter how dysfunctional.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 1:01:28 PM
At 1/10/2011 12:16:43 PM, Ren wrote:
If both partner's expectations in money and sex are fulfilled, then they will likely stay together forever, no matter how dysfunctional.

"Intellectual commitment" is actually the quality psychologists (supposedly) find that keeps most couples together. I remember thinking it strange when I heard it, assuming to hear "intellectual compatibility" I guess. But coming from someone whose dated a lot of not-so-smart people in the past, vs. dating someone who I find intellectually stimulating, then I can definitely buy into this. Not only do I find intelligence super sexy, but I think our intellectual interests and respective strengths is a lot of the reason we respect each other so much. Respecting someone is a great motivator for unselfish behavior, which is the key to any successful relationship. We all have wants, needs and boundaries; relationships are about accommodating those for both parties.
President of DDO
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 2:46:53 PM

So, can someone tell me a bit about their experience from someone they've been with for long, and had a serious relationship, too? Now, did you feel romantic in the beginning and continue (e.g., from a point to right now, and continuing), or was it very romantic in the beginning, but very dry later on, with fights etc.? If so, why? Why did the romantic feeling go, do you think?

It's not personal, but this issue has been a crack for quite a while. I truly wonder why people forget the romantic feelings they had/have and start fighting as if they never felt anything for each other. Of course, I know that bills, debt, etc. are huge factors in relationships which are in trouble, but despite that, couples still fight over things which they shouldn't...

I rather prefer males telling about relationships with women, but vice versa is not alienated.

When you "fall in love" with someone that itself isn't love, but a small part of it. Basically when you fall in love with someone it's mostly infatuation and subconsciously sex driven. For a while you let your guard down and become one with another person, escaping loneliness and the confines of your identity.Those feelings of elation and the "honeymoon" phase caused by falling in love don't last forever. Eventually the fantasy world starts to disappear and reality sets in. You want to eat out; she wants to stay home. She wants to have sex; he doesn't. The ties start to dissolve and the couple either decides to break up or start the process real loving to ensure those feelings of elation and happiness last forever.
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 4:31:19 PM
At 1/10/2011 3:43:02 PM, badger wrote:
scary story you got there brian.. you poor fella.:

Sh*t, if you think that's bad, my stories would mortify you. I take dysfunctional relationships to a whole new meaning. ;)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 5:00:39 PM
At 1/10/2011 4:31:19 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/10/2011 3:43:02 PM, badger wrote:
scary story you got there brian.. you poor fella.:

Sh*t, if you think that's bad, my stories would mortify you. I take dysfunctional relationships to a whole new meaning. ;)

go on then.. scare me.. mine haven't been much better than dysfunctonal to date either... but i couldn't blame any of my exes really ha..
signature
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 5:07:27 PM
go on then.. scare me..:

I don't want you to think any less of me than you already do :)

Besides, I'm in the middle of a federal investigation right now that involves relationships... Could mean prison time for me if these false accusations stick.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 5:08:02 PM
At 1/10/2011 1:01:28 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 1/10/2011 12:16:43 PM, Ren wrote:
If both partner's expectations in money and sex are fulfilled, then they will likely stay together forever, no matter how dysfunctional.

"Intellectual commitment" is actually the quality psychologists (supposedly) find that keeps most couples together. I remember thinking it strange when I heard it, assuming to hear "intellectual compatibility" I guess. But coming from someone whose dated a lot of not-so-smart people in the past, vs. dating someone who I find intellectually stimulating, then I can definitely buy into this. Not only do I find intelligence super sexy, but I think our intellectual interests and respective strengths is a lot of the reason we respect each other so much. Respecting someone is a great motivator for unselfish behavior, which is the key to any successful relationship. We all have wants, needs and boundaries; relationships are about accommodating those for both parties.

God, a smart girl is so hot, it almost forfeits self control.

However, from a girl's perspective, I honestly think that it has a lot to do with how intelligent she is and her relationship with her father.

Many women hate intelligent men. It challenges them in such a way that they feel as though they can't assume control when they think they need to. Women that find men more intelligent than they often find them scary and believe that it makes them too vulnerable--both intellectually as well as physically. Of course, this isn't all women, but it's definitely a good deal of them.

Of course, there are those that really do fall in love. People who mutually respect and love each other irreverent of anything else in the world.

But, that is very, very rare.

I often question whether it exists at all. Humans are quite infantile and that is a rather advanced degree of both emotional as well as deductive intelligence.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 5:18:15 PM
At 1/10/2011 5:08:02 PM, Ren wrote:
Many women hate intelligent men. It challenges them in such a way that they feel as though they can't assume control when they think they need to. Women that find men more intelligent than they often find them scary and believe that it makes them too vulnerable--both intellectually as well as physically. Of course, this isn't all women, but it's definitely a good deal of them.

Lol dude
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 6:45:09 PM
At 1/10/2011 5:18:15 PM, askbob wrote:

Lol dude

i lol'd too.. since when do women use intelligence to assume control? i thought that's what the sex and fake tears were for? also.. i'd consider myself fairly intelligent... and i'm a pimp!
signature
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 6:58:03 PM
At 1/10/2011 6:45:09 PM, badger wrote:

Lol dude

i lol'd too.. since when do women use intelligence to assume control? i thought that's what the sex and fake tears were for? also.. i'd consider myself fairly intelligent... and i'm a pimp!

I think Ren was speaking out of his life experiences.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 7:01:24 PM

Lol dude

I lol'ed as well... because the person who wrote that is as thick as sh!t.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 7:11:29 PM
At 1/10/2011 6:58:03 PM, askbob wrote:

Lol dude

I think Ren was speaking out of his life experiences.

yeah i knew why you lol'd.. funny.. i'll give it to ya :)
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 7:12:15 PM
At 1/10/2011 7:01:24 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Lol dude

me?
signature
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 7:14:39 PM
At 1/10/2011 7:12:15 PM, badger wrote:

Lol dude

me?

Ren.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 7:21:10 PM
At 1/10/2011 7:14:39 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/10/2011 7:12:15 PM, badger wrote:

Lol dude

me?

Ren.

i'd have thought you two would've teamed up to take down the troll?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 7:26:08 PM
At 1/10/2011 5:07:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
go on then.. scare me..:

I don't want you to think any less of me than you already do :)

you're scum in fairness :)

Besides, I'm in the middle of a federal investigation right now that involves relationships... Could mean prison time for me if these false accusations stick.

what?
signature
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2011 7:31:19 PM
At 1/10/2011 7:21:10 PM, badger wrote:

i'd have thought you two would've teamed up to take down the troll?

It's best to just not directly address them I find.