Jump to topic:

I need your opinion

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:05:56 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Today, for the second time that I recall, a person who says he's from Central America has called me. He claims that he's calling about my computer, which he says may be infected with a virus (or something like that).
What do you think? He is a scammer or not?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:13:05 PM
At 9/15/2016 10:05:56 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Today, for the second time that I recall, a person who says he's from Central America has called me. He claims that he's calling about my computer, which he says may be infected with a virus (or something like that).

Don't do it. Same thing happened with my moms computer, they claimed it had a virus, and was asking for all of this personal information. They were trying to tell her that there were like 10 people jsin our network, and all of this stuff, and they were going to clean it out. It's generally them that's using your network. Also, how would they even know you have a "virus"?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 10:32:02 PM

Scam!!!!!
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:26:51 PM

Scammer, hang-up.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:48:20 PM

Scammer. Just download avast or something and malware remover and do a scan.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2016 11:57:51 PM
Wow. The neurons aren't firing in this one.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 12:05:40 AM

Lol, you're awesome xD
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 12:58:05 PM

If someone from central america is telling you that your computers been hacked, he's either lying or he's the hacker himself. Either way, you've got nothing to lose by building a fire wall.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 2:00:40 PM

Probably. Pretty weak game if it is. But let's not rule anything out just yet. This could be the beginnings of an opening to a rabbithole to a sophisticated manifestation of an Ultra MK rollercoaster ride. If the words begin to trigger a day of frightening excitement, it's best not to buckle your seatbelt. Instead just roll with the twisting motions to these moments no amusement park can mimic. Consider the free ride that comes abdominal to the expense of the unknowing tax payer, a gift beyond measure. I don't know. That's just a thought from a guy who keeps answering phone calls from wrong numbers. With
each instance the person asking for a George Deese, and what follows after is what has become an addictive adrenalin rush that's always missed to nostalgic memories recovering its breath.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 3:30:49 PM

that's how they put ransom ware on your computer/devise, it's been in the news, thought it was well known, never do anything over the phone, never follow any links.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 12:08:30 PM

I think it is so nice that someone calls you out of the blue to help you. It just goes to show you that some people in this world are so charitable.
Obviously he knows a lot about computers and gets a feeling of righteousness by being compassionate with others he doesn't even know.

I have a friend who got a similar call from someone in Africa, well I be blowed that someone in such a poor nation wanted to help out. My friend said it was wonderful to hear from this guy who just asked a few simple questions like his IP address and keychain access codes and something about his bank account password. Anyway, he promised to completely fix my friend's computer for nothing.

Isn't that fantastic, I can't wait to hear back from my friend.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 9:58:14 PM

SCAM
C
A
M
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 1:32:26 AM

Answer it and see.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 2:57:11 AM
At 9/16/2016 12:58:05 PM, Smithereens wrote:

If someone from central america is telling you that your computers been hacked, he's either lying or he's the hacker himself. Either way, you've got nothing to lose by building a fire wall.

It will be YUUUUUUGE
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW