Jump to topic:

Political Correctness

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 4:25:45 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Considering it's been a bit of a "hot topic" lately, would you consider yourself "politically correct"? What do you think about this whole phenomenon? Do you think it's gone too far? Not enough? Do you agree with the use of "trigger warning"? If you are politically correct, what do you think about the opposition? If you are anti-PC, what do you think about those who are PC?

As for myself, I think I'm somewhat leaning towards the politically correct side.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 4:46:06 AM
I'm anti-PC and I find that political correctness essentially leads to false cries of "racism, bigotry, xenophobia, misogyny, etc."

Essentially it's just the left's way of silencing certain views they dislike.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:22:05 AM
At 9/18/2016 5:11:32 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Political correctness is functionally synonymous with grammar Nazi's. What do they actually accomplish?

Nothing really.

Grammatik macht frei.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
AlyceTheElectrician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 2:52:12 PM
I find it hard to understand political correctness because it's dishonest, and dishonesty and half truths can be devastatingly destructive.

I personally appreciate when honesty is presented to me to consider, no matter how hard it is to accept. At least with honesty I can deduce proper inference, and free myself of delusion.
Be who you are, Say what you feel, Because those who mind don"t matter, And those who matter don't mind.

BANGTAN! Blood, Sweat, & Tears> Check it out yes! https://www.youtube.com...
NHN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 3:38:44 PM
At 9/18/2016 4:25:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Considering it's been a bit of a "hot topic" lately, would you consider yourself "politically correct"?
Political correctness is the unspoken ideology that serves social cohesion. Frankfurt School standard-bearer Herbert Marcuse originally explored this function in A Critique of Pure Tolerance (1965), in which he develops the right of revolutionary minorities to suppress established opinion of the majority (who decide what is politically correct). That forward-moving, revolutionary minority would, in a contemporary setting, be the SJW and BLM. The reactionaries -- who attack the status quo as they envision a return to an imagined, premodern Golden Age -- would be movements such as the alt-right, which therefore look and act much like the revolutionaries.

What do you think about this whole phenomenon?
Every society generates its own unwritten rules. We only think of them once they are challenged. But in societies that are coming off at the seams these minorities turn into warring factions.

As far as America is concerned, the battling parties are conservatives/conformists who defend an impossible status quo against aggressors/progressives who seek to dissolve it. These have come in the shape of "culture wars": the sexual revolution, feminism, gay rights, drug legalization, secularism, multiculturalism, etc.

As for myself, I think I'm somewhat leaning towards the politically correct side.
The correct question would rather be how much of your own nonconformism you allow others to see. The less you hide, the more one-dimensional you are.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 5:41:29 PM
I find much the flak Political correctness gets to be mostly unwarranted. Much of what gets branded as "PC" has to do more with basic human decency as opposed to some leftist conspiracy to silence the masses. That's not to say that the growing oversensitivity in Western society isn't a problem (take the who "microaggression" controversy for example). But in the West's rabid attempt at making human expression unrestricted and absolute, they've forgotten the importance of basic manners. Which explains why neo-reactionary pundits (Crowder, Sargon of Akkad, Rubin et cetera) are so asinine to listen to.

I wouldn't consider myself politically correct though, lest my views get conflated with the aforementioned oversensitives.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 4:56:02 AM
At 9/18/2016 4:25:45 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Considering it's been a bit of a "hot topic" lately, would you consider yourself "politically correct"? What do you think about this whole phenomenon? Do you think it's gone too far? Not enough? Do you agree with the use of "trigger warning"? If you are politically correct, what do you think about the opposition? If you are anti-PC, what do you think about those who are PC?

Probably middle ground. I'm not a flag waiving anti-PC, but I'm not SJW PC.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~