Should you work out if you're sore

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 3:16:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hmm?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 3:19:06 PM
At 1/11/2011 3:17:58 PM, innomen wrote:
At 1/11/2011 3:16:59 PM, askbob wrote:
Hmm?

Sure, just use other muscle groups that aren't sore.

haha well my biceps and chest are ridiculously sore (me getting back into it after 6 months of inactivity) I don't think I could do any exercises besides running.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 3:25:53 PM
At 1/11/2011 3:19:06 PM, askbob wrote:
Hmm?

haha well my biceps and chest are ridiculously sore (me getting back into it after 6 months of inactivity) I don't think I could do any exercises besides running.

Yeah, lower body, then go back to the upper so you don't lose what you started.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 3:46:17 PM
At 1/11/2011 3:42:50 PM, Tiggo wrote:
Yup yup, actually working out can help the soreness go away. Drink lots of water and do some cardio or get a massage.

haha i have to wait for friday until i get a massage but I'll probably go and do some light cardio
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 3:47:40 PM
I'm not a professional, so I'm just speaking from anecdotal, personal experience here, but I would wait a little longer than usual to do your next workout. For instance, if you usually work out the same muscle groups every other day, then wait 3 days or so, but don't wait too long, otherwise it will take longer amount of time for your body to readjust. And likewise, don't start again too early because your muscles need to heal.

Also, start out light. Don't max out on weight or reps, and that way you'll be able to transition back into a routine without minimal soreness.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 3:58:20 PM
I'm assuming youre sore from your last workout. Rather than jumping right into your routine, wait a couple days, then workout. After that, you shouldn't be sore again and you can start back with your regular routine.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 3:58:24 PM
Yes. Working out pumps blood into the muscle and helps remove the waste causing you to be sore.

You should also be doing cardio, which will help with soreness too. In particular, the eliptical for back and arms, and seated bike for legs.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
Tiggo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 4:07:14 PM
At 1/11/2011 3:46:17 PM, askbob wrote:
At 1/11/2011 3:42:50 PM, Tiggo wrote:
Yup yup, actually working out can help the soreness go away. Drink lots of water and do some cardio or get a massage.

haha i have to wait for friday until i get a massage but I'll probably go and do some light cardio

Yup def go easy, but keep working out. You can always focus on other areas.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 3:15:40 PM
At 1/11/2011 3:58:24 PM, Sieben wrote:
Yes. Working out pumps blood into the muscle and helps remove the waste causing you to be sore.

You should also be doing cardio, which will help with soreness too. In particular, the eliptical for back and arms, and seated bike for legs.

But doesn't there have to be a waiting period for the muscles to heal? If he just jumps back into it, his muscles might not have recuperated enough, which could extend his soreness for a longer period of time.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 4:31:26 PM
If you are working out daily, I would have two to three different routines to choose from. For example mine is:
Mon. and Wed. -- upper body, flexibility and weight lifting
Tues. and Thurs. -- lower body and long distance running
Sat. and Sun. -- swimming or long distance running

This allows your muscles to be worked enough and improve while not overusing or over- stressing them. Really, you shouldn't work out the same muscles back-to-back (even though that is hard). The ware-and-tear can be detrimental.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:32:26 PM
Hmm?

Depends.

You probably shouldn't go full bore on the same muscle if you are significantly sore. That said, if you do some light stretching and lift some reasonably light weight, you can get rid of the soreness faster. You get the blood in there, providing nutrients and removing the lactic acid.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 4:33:13 PM
Hmm?

Please tell me you did something other then bench press and bicep curl while at the gym...
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:08:42 PM
At 1/12/2011 3:15:40 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 1/11/2011 3:58:24 PM, Sieben wrote:

But doesn't there have to be a waiting period for the muscles to heal? If he just jumps back into it, his muscles might not have recuperated enough, which could extend his soreness for a longer period of time.
Yes. Try to work out each body part once a week. But if you're still store after 7 days, then go again.

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 5:22:20 PM
At 1/15/2011 4:33:13 PM, Meatros wrote:
Hmm?

Please tell me you did something other then bench press and bicep curl while at the gym...

^ this

The top exercises in the gym are:

1) Squatz
2) Deadlifts
3) Pullups
4) bench press

Because they are the hardest and use the most muscle groups.

Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 6:09:57 PM
At 1/15/2011 5:22:20 PM, Sieben wrote:

The top exercises in the gym are:

1) Squatz
2) Deadlifts
3) Pullups
4) bench press

Because they are the hardest and use the most muscle groups.

Basically, yes. I'm not sure what you mean by "hardest", but I'm pretty sure we are on the same wave length.

Compound movements will get you bigger and faster then isolation movements. I think there is a caveat with beginner gains.

I would also add the shoulder press (it was one of the staple powerlifter movements), but it can wreck havoc on your rotary cuffs. I've been working through an impingement due to them.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2011 6:11:23 PM
Actually, if you mean something to the effect of the most difficult to get the proper form down by hardest, then we are in complete agreement.