Jump to topic:

Hard lecturer help?

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:11:00 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
So I was really excited for my Academic Writing class because I love writing. My prof has like 10 assignments for us to do during the term, which I suppose isn't that bad in comparison to my other classes.

However, he was rated as being a strict, difficult prof. He apparently fails people often. The average in his class is low 70s to 60s.

I keep trying to volunteer in class when I feel brave, but he doesn't pick me to answer.

I'm not going to switch to a new class or drop it.

Any advice on what to do?
Anyone experiences anything similar?
Any advice on how to get into his good graces, (please legal only)?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:11:57 AM
Update:

Advice from upper year student:
"Run while you can. Get out while you can. You'll regret it."
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:16:37 AM
At 9/20/2016 3:11:00 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
So I was really excited for my Academic Writing class because I love writing. My prof has like 10 assignments for us to do during the term, which I suppose isn't that bad in comparison to my other classes.

However, he was rated as being a strict, difficult prof. He apparently fails people often. The average in his class is low 70s to 60s.

I keep trying to volunteer in class when I feel brave, but he doesn't pick me to answer.

If you can't drop out, then do your work as effectively as possible, come to class every day, answer questions if asked (raise your hand frequently), ask questions or make inferences (don't always have to be smart), and never question him.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:18:20 AM
At 9/20/2016 3:11:57 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Update:

Advice from upper year student:
"Run while you can. Get out while you can. You'll regret it."

Well...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:31:47 AM
At 9/20/2016 3:16:37 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

If you can't drop out, then do your work as effectively as possible, come to class every day, answer questions if asked (raise your hand frequently), ask questions or make inferences (don't always have to be smart), and never question him.

Can't... so yeah...

Thanks
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:35:52 AM
Any advice on how to get into his good graces,

(Begins to describe how to kidnap a professor)

(please legal only)?

Aw.
Meh!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 4:18:56 AM

1. Check the syllabus for all extra credit opportunities.
2. Actually read the textbook(s).
3. Go on the college portal and re-read the presentations (if available).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 1:06:17 PM
At 9/20/2016 9:31:35 AM, Smithereens wrote:
after class, rough him up with some pointed questions.

Terrible advice.
Tsar of DDO
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 1:08:54 PM
At 9/20/2016 1:06:17 PM, YYW wrote:

Terrible advice.

Nay my friend.

The people you see at the end of lectures who hang back to discuss content with the professor are those typical honours students who like to suck up, kiss @rse and get a pat on the head by an enthused educator.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 1:12:22 PM
At 9/20/2016 1:08:54 PM, Smithereens wrote:

Terrible advice.

Nay my friend.

The people you see at the end of lectures who hang back to discuss content with the professor are those typical honours students who like to suck up, kiss @rse and get a pat on the head by an enthused educator.

You're assuming he's a good professor with students' best interests at heart.

You're also assuming how he'd react to being questioned.

You usually can make those assumptions, but in this case, you can't.
Tsar of DDO
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 1:16:36 PM
At 9/20/2016 1:12:22 PM, YYW wrote:

Terrible advice.

Nay my friend.

The more strict they come, the better they are for pandering to. No professor shuts down students who come to them for help. The fact that the professor is strict does not say anything about his reaction to students who approach him. Generally speaking, no human is free of their own ego so a tad of ego boosting is likely going to work. Strictness here doesn't really come into play.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 2:19:00 PM
At 9/20/2016 1:16:36 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 9/20/2016 1:12:22 PM, YYW wrote:

Terrible advice.

Nay my friend.

The more strict they come, the better they are for pandering to. No professor shuts down students who come to them for help. The fact that the professor is strict does not say anything about his reaction to students who approach him. Generally speaking, no human is free of their own ego so a tad of ego boosting is likely going to work. Strictness here doesn't really come into play.

That's really all terrible advice too.

In some cases it may apply, but here it does not.
Tsar of DDO
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 2:27:11 PM
At 9/20/2016 2:19:00 PM, YYW wrote:

That's incorrect, and exactly one of us has provided reasoning hmm.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 3:46:52 PM

https://cdn.meme.am...
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 5:19:16 PM
At 9/20/2016 4:18:56 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

1. Check the syllabus for all extra credit opportunities.
There are none for this course.

2. Actually read the textbook(s).
For Academic Writing? I got it. But I mean... grading a written piece is subjective.

3. Go on the college portal and re-read the presentations (if available).
Tried that. Unfortunately, he isn't very tech savvy and thus doesn't upload the slides until a few days after.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 7:56:07 PM
At 9/20/2016 2:27:11 PM, Smithereens wrote:

I think that in a lot of cases where people try to give advice, younger and more "spunky" people will sort of rush into the process based only on the facts presented to them in the same way that they're answering an exam question. The desire to help is certainly laudable and that's all fine and good, but the intent to help is not the same thing as actually helping. (There's a bitter truth to the suggestion that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.)

Here, what you don't know is who the professor is, what he's like, how other students have related to him in the past, and what he likely is or is not. You don't know to ask them, because you don't have the experience to ask them... but you have to be able to ask them before you can get in to the weeds of actually giving advice. Especially here, you also have to be able to understand what the answers to those questions and others in fact means.

So, what I did is I replied to Annie's PM and got the information I needed. I found the guy's dissertation and read it, as well as some reviews on him and formed an opinion based on the evidence I needed. I also got Annie's perspective on some of those questions, above. And, really, my replies to you are less for you and more for her because, frankly, you don't know what you're talking about here because you didn't seek the additional information you need.

It's fine to want to help, but at the same time just jumping into action without understanding what's actually going on isn't a good thing.

I won't disclose the specific advice I gave to Annie because it's unique to the professor, whose specialty is fairly precise (even if his dissertation reads like it was written by a high school student). I also don't want to risk doxxing Annie (it's not a far leap from professor name, to institution, to class, to student). That said, I guess you'll have to be dissatisfied with my response.

Sorry...
Tsar of DDO
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2016 11:10:10 PM
At 9/20/2016 7:56:07 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/20/2016 2:27:11 PM, Smithereens wrote:

I think that in a lot of cases where people try to give advice, younger and more "spunky" people will sort of rush into the process based only on the facts presented to them in the same way that they're answering an exam question. The desire to help is certainly laudable and that's all fine and good, but the intent to help is not the same thing as actually helping. (There's a bitter truth to the suggestion that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.)

Here, what you don't know is who the professor is, what he's like, how other students have related to him in the past, and what he likely is or is not. You don't know to ask them, because you don't have the experience to ask them... but you have to be able to ask them before you can get in to the weeds of actually giving advice. Especially here, you also have to be able to understand what the answers to those questions and others in fact means.

So, what I did is I replied to Annie's PM and got the information I needed. I found the guy's dissertation and read it, as well as some reviews on him and formed an opinion based on the evidence I needed. I also got Annie's perspective on some of those questions, above. And, really, my replies to you are less for you and more for her because, frankly, you don't know what you're talking about here because you didn't seek the additional information you need.

It's fine to want to help, but at the same time just jumping into action without understanding what's actually going on isn't a good thing.

I won't disclose the specific advice I gave to Annie because it's unique to the professor, whose specialty is fairly precise (even if his dissertation reads like it was written by a high school student). I also don't want to risk doxxing Annie (it's not a far leap from professor name, to institution, to class, to student). That said, I guess you'll have to be dissatisfied with my response.

Sorry...

I'm not dissatisfied with your response at all. I simply didn't know you had more information available to you than what you were letting out.