Jump to topic:

Do you carry a gun?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 10:02:23 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Does anyone here carry a firearm on a daily basis?

I can't, because I'm not 21 yet, but as soon as I turn 21, I will buy a handgun and apply for a concealed carry permit. At least switchblades are now legal in Wisconsin, so I can carry that.

Just curious to see if anyone here carries on a daily basis, and what you would recommend.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 10:25:50 PM
At 10/7/2016 10:02:23 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I can't, because I'm not 21 yet, but as soon as I turn 21, I will buy a handgun and apply for a concealed carry permit. At least switchblades are now legal in Wisconsin, so I can carry that.

Just curious to see if anyone here carries on a daily basis, and what you would recommend.

Just curious, is there a particular reason why you feel you need a gun on your person?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 11:03:06 PM

Yeah why do you want a gun on you for?
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 11:07:07 PM
Is your neighborhood so bad you need a gun? Consider changing it.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 11:11:34 PM
I have my ccw. I didn't always carry but did when riding my bike (both motorcycle and rode bike).

However after 12 years of sobriety I relapsed and sold my 2 firearms. Currently I don't carry as I don't own a weapon.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:03:08 AM

My brother has a CCW, he's 24, and my mom is working on hers. We do need it for a specific reason, but I'm not comfortable publicizing it. But, personally, IMO, a CCW is a must.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:08:18 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:03:08 AM, Rosalie wrote:

My brother has a CCW, he's 24, and my mom is working on hers. We do need it for a specific reason, but I'm not comfortable publicizing it. But, personally, IMO, a CCW is a must.

Would you agree a 'must' for those who feel comfortable and that go through the class? (I too have my ccw but actually sold my firearms).
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:24:33 AM
At 10/7/2016 10:25:50 PM, Peepette wrote:

Just curious, is there a particular reason why you feel you need a gun on your person?

Because I have the right and the moral obligation to be able to defend my own life and the lives of my loved ones.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:25:13 AM
At 10/7/2016 11:03:06 PM, Hiu wrote:

Yeah why do you want a gun on you for?

So that I am able to defend the lives of myself and my loved ones.

And because guns are neat. I love machinery, engines, chainsaws, etc.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:26:12 AM
At 10/7/2016 11:11:34 PM, Stymie13 wrote:
I have my ccw. I didn't always carry but did when riding my bike (both motorcycle and rode bike).

However after 12 years of sobriety I relapsed and sold my 2 firearms. Currently I don't carry as I don't own a weapon.

Ahh I see. Do you have any recommendations on what I should look into?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:27:13 AM
At 10/7/2016 11:07:07 PM, Fkkize wrote:
Is your neighborhood so bad you need a gun? Consider changing it.

A bad neighborhood is not the only reason to carry a gun, you know.

Besides, many people who live in bad neighborhoods are poor, and financially unable to leave them.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:29:27 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:08:18 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

Would you agree a 'must' for those who feel comfortable and that go through the class? (I too have my ccw but actually sold my firearms).

It's not a matter of if you're comfortable a without it. I bet someone sure wouldn't be comfortable if they were in a public place, and there was a shooter who began shooting people. If someone has a CCW, and is in that position, they can easily stop the shooter from killing more people.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:34:21 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:26:12 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Any sub-compact 9 (with critical defense rounds), 40, or 45. A lady smith .380. Just remember handguns after 20 feet, especially in subcompact, lose accuracy. You also have to be cognizant of the round (due to over penetration).

Must self defense shootings occur within 8 feet of proximity. Proper training and handling are the most important aspect.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:36:28 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:29:27 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 10/8/2016 12:08:18 AM, Stymie13 wrote:

It's not a matter of if you're comfortable a without it. I bet someone sure wouldn't be comfortable if they were in a public place, and there was a shooter who began shooting people. If someone has a CCW, and is in that position, they can easily stop the shooter from killing more people.

I just mean those who are comfortable around firearms. It was the use of the word 'must'.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:37:34 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:24:33 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I can't, because I'm not 21 yet, but as soon as I turn 21, I will buy a handgun and apply for a concealed carry permit. At least switchblades are now legal in Wisconsin so I can carry that.

Because I have the right and the moral obligation to be able to defend my own life and the lives of my loved ones.

Yes, you do have a Constitutional right. But is there a need or threat against you? I could see if you lived in a crime riddled area where muggings are a daily occurrence as having threat potential. I've been to Wisconsin, except for Milwaukee and Madison cities are fairly small, the rest of the state is mostly rural communities. A pretty quiet place by all accounts.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:47:06 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:37:34 AM, Peepette wrote:

I can't, because I'm not 21 yet, but as soon as I turn 21, I will buy a handgun and apply for a concealed carry permit. At least switchblades are now legal in Wisconsin so I can carry that.

Yes, you do have a Constitutional right. But is there a need or threat against you? I could see if you lived in a crime riddled area where muggings are a daily occurrence as having threat potential. I've been to Wisconsin, except for Milwaukee and Madison cities are fairly small, the rest of the state is mostly rural communities. A pretty quiet place by all accounts.

Well, our house has been broken into in the past. Not to mention the recent riots where white people were beaten up just for being white... in an area that I go quite near very often. Not to mention Steven Avery and Jeffrey Dahmer, and the Sikh Temple shootings. Shit happens. Yes, maybe I'm paranoid, but I would hate to be one of those unlucky bastards. Besides, it would be a good skill to have.

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:56:18 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:47:06 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Well, our house has been broken into in the past. Not to mention the recent riots where white people were beaten up just for being white... in an area that I go quite near very often. Not to mention Steven Avery and Jeffrey Dahmer, and the Sikh Temple shootings. Shit happens. Yes, maybe I'm paranoid, but I would hate to be one of those unlucky bastards. Besides, it would be a good skill to have.

If you do intend to carry please take a reputable firearms course, they are invaluable for your safety and that of others around you that are not perpetrators of crime. Don't let the fact that you have a side arm lead you into areas that you would normally avoid without a gun. It's that kind of cockiness that puts well meaning people in jail.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 12:58:22 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:56:18 AM, Peepette wrote:

If you do intend to carry please take a reputable firearms course, they are invaluable for your safety and that of others around you that are not perpetrators of crime. Don't let the fact that you have a side arm lead you into areas that you would normally avoid without a gun. It's that kind of cockiness that puts well meaning people in jail.

Of course not. I would really rather not even carry a firearm. Sure, guns might be cool and fun to go hunting with and trap shooting with, but to carry one for self-defense is on a completely different playing field, and requires alot of responsibility.... So yeah, I'm not going to go around looking for a fight.

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 1:09:21 AM

Great decision. Now you have a motorized push bike, you will be the target of many attacks.
If someone pulls a gun out and demands you to hand over your wheels , you can wip yours out .
And you know what ya got then . 2 people pointing a gun at each other. Or what I like to call ,
A recipe for disaster.
Now one of you are going to die. Maybe both.
I believe this is a small price to pay,
I mean
Your going to look BOSS like, on your scooter with a 9mm.
Yeah Boyyyy.
Oh your real life debating you do will greatly improve as well . Round 2 rebut will be.
I've got a gun.
It's looking peachy as for you ZM.
Unfortunately for folks like yourself. You have deadbeats like me lurking. I'm criminal full stop. And boy do I love a challenge .
I'll get the route you travel twice and I'll see you at the intersection of my choice.
Then bammmmm . Something I like to call . T BONE. That's a meeting of sorts.
A Car out of the sidestreet Vs scotter on the straight road meeting.
Can you give me a date around about when I might be getting this Gun your getting for me.
It's not like you have a say in things.
Good game, Good game.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 1:17:53 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:58:22 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Of course not. I would really rather not even carry a firearm. Sure, guns might be cool and fun to go hunting with and trap shooting with, but to carry one for self-defense is on a completely different playing field, and requires alot of responsibility.... So yeah, I'm not going to go around looking for a fight.

O crap . ZM I just walked in me room and my stupid cat was lying on my computer again .
Please disregard anything that was posted to you from this handle .
Stupid cat loves the warmth of my computer. That's twice this week his done this to me. I'll teach him. Again. sorry if it looks like a post he sent. Good day sir.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 1:49:31 AM
At 10/8/2016 1:17:53 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

O crap . ZM I just walked in me room and my stupid cat was lying on my computer again .
Stupid cat loves the warmth of my computer. That's twice this week his done this to me. I'll teach him. Again. sorry if it looks like a post he sent. Good day sir.

Hahaha, I think you're just high.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 1:50:12 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:34:21 AM, Stymie13 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 12:26:12 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Any sub-compact 9 (with critical defense rounds), 40, or 45. A lady smith .380. Just remember handguns after 20 feet, especially in subcompact, lose accuracy. You also have to be cognizant of the round (due to over penetration).

Must self defense shootings occur within 8 feet of proximity. Proper training and handling are the most important aspect.

Thanks

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 1:51:07 AM
At 10/8/2016 1:49:31 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Correct.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 1:51:55 AM
At 10/8/2016 1:51:07 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 10/8/2016 1:49:31 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Correct.

Lolol

MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:52:03 AM
At 10/8/2016 12:24:33 AM, zmikecuber

Have you considered an evolution of higher moral obligations that would rather die than take the life of another, such as the life of one caught up in the current moment of a mistake? To end the premature life of reckless decisions that may well one day walk with wisdoms to pass on, is you now passing on a chance to prove the weight of your strength. There is always a better way to handle a bad situation. Consider carrying a tactical light to use at night. Tactical lights have to power to temporarily blind your attacker. Subdue him. Call the police. Then try to understand the reasons behind the motivations causing such violations of basic humanity. This will help you release any harboring of angers that prevent personal growths from reaching bigger potentials.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 1:35:39 AM
OP, you have a legal right. Just buy a gun, go to ccw class, keep it quiet. Statistics say you won't need it but others opinions are just that. You don't need approval, just a clean 4473.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 1:52:56 AM
At 10/13/2016 12:52:03 AM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
At 10/8/2016 12:24:33 AM, zmikecuber

Have you considered an evolution of higher moral obligations that would rather die than take the life of another, such as the life of one caught up in the current moment of a mistake? To end the premature life of reckless decisions that may well one day walk with wisdoms to pass on, is you now passing on a chance to prove the weight of your strength. There is always a better way to handle a bad situation. Consider carrying a tactical light to use at night. Tactical lights have to power to temporarily blind your attacker. Subdue him. Call the police. Then try to understand the reasons behind the motivations causing such violations of basic humanity. This will help you release any harboring of angers that prevent personal growths from reaching bigger potentials.

Have you ever considered an evolution of higher moral obligations that you would rather die fighting than let someone take the life of one of your loved ones?

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:13:43 AM
No, though sometimes I carry pepper spray. Sometimes i keep a firearm hidden in the house, but I honestly try not to because I don't trust myself. I figure if pepper spray can't get me out of a situation, I am just not meant to get out of it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:15:22 AM

You are naive if you think you are immune from violent crime.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 10:54:37 AM

I don't personally carry a gun, but I had lunch the other day with a guy who did. He had a generic waist holster that he bought from a local Walmart for around $40.00. His shirt was untucked and it was perfectly concealed. While driving he keeps it in the center console and the papers in his glove-box for easy access should he ever get pulled over, so be sure to do the same if you do decide to travel with it.

Another smart move would be to acquaint yourself with your concealed carry laws (beyond the basics required to get your license) as well as your state law enforcement protocols to know proper procedure should you ever get stopped while it's on you. Keep your license or papers on you at all times if the gun is in your possession or close vicinity and it'd be good to additionally make a photo copy to keep at home should you ever lose the original. Lastly, and most seriously, don't be the guy who feels the need to pull it out of the holster to show friends while out and about. Showboating in this manner is just asking for trouble and it's not that necessary to let everyone you're with know you're carrying at all times.

In terms of purchasing a concealed carry holster, there are several makes and holster positions available on the market. There's no need to rush a purchase, take your new gun to the range, try out a few of the holsters they have there and feel out which holding position best suits you. The holding position will also depend on the clothes you're wearing. Also, if you want to be frugal with your money, don't purchase the holster right from the gun range shop (if the range you go to has a shop), just find one that feels good to you and then search online for similar models listed at lower prices.

In Florida we have *alot* of gun shows that come and go. If you haven't purchased your gun yet - check them out. Heck, get all of the necessary materials you'd need from one of those shows. The deals are far better than you'll find in any gun store, just be sure to get all of the required legal documents.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...