Total Posts:121|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

I'm an Old Member and Also Genderqueer: AMA!

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:38:47 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Pretty self-explanatory.

I've been around for a while. Drifting in and out (mostly out, so most of you won't remember me).

Way back in the day, I ID'd as a cis bi guy. More accurately, now, I'd say I'm genderqueer (preferring they/them pronouns) and am generally exclusively attracted to men/masculine NB people.

That's not the most important thing about me--I'm also an undergrad studying philosophy and English & American literature and a writer--but I felt like those are the two things that would make a thread like this unique for me as a poster.

So yeah, AMA if you want! :)
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:41:42 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:38:47 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

I've been around for a while. Drifting in and out (mostly out, so most of you won't remember me).

Way back in the day, I ID'd as a cis bi guy. More accurately, now, I'd say I'm genderqueer (preferring they/them pronouns) and am generally exclusively attracted to men/masculine NB people.

That's not the most important thing about me--I'm also an undergrad studying philosophy and English & American literature and a writer--but I felt like those are the two things that would make a thread like this unique for me as a poster.

Does ought imply can?
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:42:45 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:41:42 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

Does ought imply can?

No.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:48:44 AM
Pretty self-explanatory.

What does it mean to be gender queer?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:55:01 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:48:44 AM, YYW wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

To be genderqueer, or nonbinary, is to have a gender identity which doesn't accord with being a man or being a woman. It gets unfairly treated as a "Tumblr-ism," but has a very very long history with many different cultural permutations.

Personalized, I choose to call myself nonbinary insofar as I don't identify as a man or as a woman.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:56:33 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:55:01 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

To be genderqueer, or nonbinary, is to have a gender identity which doesn't accord with being a man or being a woman. It gets unfairly treated as a "Tumblr-ism," but has a very very long history with many different cultural permutations.

Personalized, I choose to call myself nonbinary insofar as I don't identify as a man or as a woman.

What if any effect does this have on your appearance?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:57:04 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:55:46 AM, XLAV wrote:
I only remember your from mafia

Cool! I don't remember you at all, so I guess we're even?

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 3:58:53 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:57:04 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

We haven't played together, lol. I just see your name pop up when I'm reading old games.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:01:53 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:56:33 AM, YYW wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

As it currently stands, relatively little effect in terms of clothing. I have little money, and what money I DO have leftover "for myself," I choose to spend on books and other entertainment. I have 20 years' worth of masculine clothing accumulated, which I still wear. I'm slowly acquiring the means to incorporate more feminine presentation elements. I also have a knee disability which makes it so I can't wear heels (if I want my kneecaps to not dislocate).

I now wear perfume, and am working on getting makeup. I also tend to grow my hair out longer, and I've noticed pitching up/"softening" my voice a bit more. I shave more regularly to stay clean-shaven.

Besides that, it's still a work in progress. It's hard out here for a broke kid.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:02:44 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:58:53 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 10/9/2016 3:57:04 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

We haven't played together, lol. I just see your name pop up when I'm reading old games.

Ahhh, okay! Well, I apologize on behalf of Me from the Past for being an incredibly awkward kid who was bad at Mafia.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:06:31 AM
At 10/9/2016 4:01:53 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

As it currently stands, relatively little effect in terms of clothing. I have little money, and what money I DO have leftover "for myself," I choose to spend on books and other entertainment. I have 20 years' worth of masculine clothing accumulated, which I still wear. I'm slowly acquiring the means to incorporate more feminine presentation elements. I also have a knee disability which makes it so I can't wear heels (if I want my kneecaps to not dislocate).

I now wear perfume, and am working on getting makeup. I also tend to grow my hair out longer, and I've noticed pitching up/"softening" my voice a bit more. I shave more regularly to stay clean-shaven.

Besides that, it's still a work in progress. It's hard out here for a broke kid.

Interesting. At what point did you determine that you were genderqueer? Was there any precipitating event? Do you anticipate that this will remain a permanent thing?

Also, do you hook up with other guys?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:09:28 AM
Another question, this time not related to gender...

When and how did you discover CHVRCHES?

(They are one of my all time favorite bands.)

If you like them, btw. you might also like Nothing but Thieves:

https://www.youtube.com...

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:12:29 AM
At 10/9/2016 4:06:31 AM, YYW wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

Interesting. At what point did you determine that you were genderqueer? Was there any precipitating event? Do you anticipate that this will remain a permanent thing?

I don't know. It's how I identify now, so I'm treating it with as much seriousness as I would for anyone else. I don't think it came on suddenly, just bit by bit.

I've only ever kissed one guy, and only had (kind-of) sex, once and with that same guy. I'm not particularly interested in hookups, but rather care more about relationships and dating. Yes, I do generally just date gay guys, and no, I generally don't bring up my gender identity, because it's just easier that way. Although I will assert, quite seriously, my gender identity and preferred pronouns when I want to, I find that my sexuality (which I typically give as 'gay' as an easy shorthand for people to understand) supersedes my gender identity in terms of how I want to live my life.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:14:16 AM
At 10/9/2016 4:09:28 AM, YYW wrote:

I heard "The Mother We Share" on Milwaukee's alternative radio station (although I now live in NY, of course), and just listened to their other stuff, and fell in love! I'm actually going to see them perform this Saturday upcoming!

And thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out when I can dedicate myself to more attentive listening.

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:16:06 AM
At 10/9/2016 4:12:29 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

I don't know. It's how I identify now, so I'm treating it with as much seriousness as I would for anyone else. I don't think it came on suddenly, just bit by bit.

I've only ever kissed one guy, and only had (kind-of) sex, once and with that same guy. I'm not particularly interested in hookups, but rather care more about relationships and dating. Yes, I do generally just date gay guys, and no, I generally don't bring up my gender identity, because it's just easier that way. Although I will assert, quite seriously, my gender identity and preferred pronouns when I want to, I find that my sexuality (which I typically give as 'gay' as an easy shorthand for people to understand) supersedes my gender identity in terms of how I want to live my life.

Do masculine pronouns make you uncomfortable mainly because they are inconsistent with how you want to live your life?
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:16:36 AM
At 10/9/2016 3:42:45 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 10/9/2016 3:41:42 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

Does ought imply can?

No.
>philosopher
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:17:57 AM
At 10/9/2016 4:14:16 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 10/9/2016 4:09:28 AM, YYW wrote:

I heard "The Mother We Share" on Milwaukee's alternative radio station (although I now live in NY, of course), and just listened to their other stuff, and fell in love! I'm actually going to see them perform this Saturday upcoming!

Right on. That is easily my favorite song they have ever done. The sort of irony about CHVRCHES is that while their stuff seems very upbeat, there is a tremendous depth of meaning to what they're singing. That song, in particular, holds to that rule. It's one of the reasons I love them, plus everything they do sounds so familiar. Finding them was like finding an old friend.

What did you think about Every Open Eye?

And thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out when I can dedicate myself to more attentive listening.

Cheers. Nothing But Thieves is still kind of unknown/underground, but they're pretty good.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:44:15 AM
Pretty self-explanatory.

HOY
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 1:46:18 PM
At 10/9/2016 4:16:06 AM, YYW wrote:
At 10/9/2016 4:12:29 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

Do masculine pronouns make you uncomfortable mainly because they are inconsistent with how you want to live your life?

I think, when it comes to gender pronouns, masculine (and feminine for that matter) pronouns make me uncomfortable not for reasons of function but, simply, because they're just not correct. They don't represent who I am.

It's not the most helpful answer, I know, but it's what I've got.

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 1:51:18 PM
At 10/9/2016 6:45:15 AM, Koopin wrote:
How is college going so far? Liking it?

Well, this being my third year, I'd hope I've started to like it by now. ;)

More seriously, coming to NYU has been one of the best experiences in my life--I'm infinitely happier than I've been, especially in high school. I do have my disappointments and bad days and heartbreak, of course! But I feel myself coming alive, coming to be ME at NYU.

It's wonderful.

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 1:57:32 PM
At 10/9/2016 1:51:18 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 10/9/2016 6:45:15 AM, Koopin wrote:
How is college going so far? Liking it?

Well, this being my third year, I'd hope I've started to like it by now. ;)

More seriously, coming to NYU has been one of the best experiences in my life--I'm infinitely happier than I've been, especially in high school. I do have my disappointments and bad days and heartbreak, of course! But I feel myself coming alive, coming to be ME at NYU.

It's wonderful.

I also collect stamps.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 2:05:37 PM
Pretty self-explanatory.

Why does everybody want to be a minority by finding special labels for themselves. Was this inspired by that Greenday song? Being in the majority and being white is shmeful, so I'll be gender queer, bipolar, a vegan, Green Party etc.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 2:11:05 PM
It's just whites that do this too, you don't see brothers talking about how gender quiet they are, maybe they suck a penis from time to time or secretly wear panties, but they don't go trying to make them self more of a minority by applying some stupid label, because it's trendy.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 2:24:24 PM
At 10/9/2016 2:05:37 PM, Wylted wrote:
Pretty self-explanatory.

Why does everybody want to be a minority by finding special labels for themselves. Was this inspired by that Greenday song? Being in the majority and being white is shmeful, so I'll be gender queer, bipolar, a vegan, Green Party etc.

Nonbinary gender identities and identities and ways of living analogous to nonbinary have been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. In south Asia, Hijra people (assigned male at birth but with feminine gender presentation) have, since antiquity served an important social role as what is essentially a third gender. A similar thing can be said of Two-Spirit, a catch-all term for individuals in the many, many Native American cultures that are also analogous to what we might call nonbinary today. Some even consider eunuchs to historically have a role that isn't wholly masculine or feminine. People have referred to themselves as androgynous, "faerie," and other analogues of something that isn't strictly a man or strictly a woman since at least the late 1800s.

Similarly, our language has accommodated the reference to people in a non-gendered way at least since Middle English, when the pronoun 'a' was used to refer to people without naming gender. Singular 'they' has been around in Modern English since its inception, only being challenged in the mid-1700s. And, throughout the 20th century, we've seen the creation of hundreds of bespoke pronouns.

So yeah, it's been around a bit longer than Green Day.

(Also: bipolar disorder is a diagnosable mental illness. Veganism isn't typically considered an oppressed minority. People join the Green Party because they agree with the party.)

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 2:26:16 PM
At 10/9/2016 2:11:05 PM, Wylted wrote:
It's just whites that do this too, you don't see brothers talking about how gender quiet they are, maybe they suck a penis from time to time or secretly wear panties, but they don't go trying to make them self more of a minority by applying some stupid label, because it's trendy.

Black trans people exist.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:03:28 PM

How do you define "gender," at all? That is, at which level (e.g. physical, psychological, social, emotional, etc.) do you think it even exists?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:04:20 PM

Are you doing a philosophy course with any specialization?

What's the course like?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 4:37:09 PM

So yeah, it's been around a bit longer than Green Day.

you missed the point but cool.

(Also: bipolar disorder is a diagnosable mental illness. Veganism isn't typically considered an oppressed minority. People join the Green Party because they agree with the party.)

Tribal tattoos have also been around for thousands of years, but these crackers doing them are band wagon riding douches. They do it because it is trendy despite some cultures having them in the past. I am not sure what diagnosable mental illnesses have to do with every white person pretending they have one because it is trendy, and if you think people join the green party merely because they identify with its platform you are naive, those same people could easily identify as Democrat without changing a single belief, it just isn't trendy and cool to be outside the mainstream.