Send a Message
1/17/2011 5:10:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/17/2011 5:05:13 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/17/2011 5:02:35 PM, annhasle wrote:
Karate FTW.

I wanna join that too

Do it.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 5:46:26 PM
I wrestled before there was an indoor track team for me to run on. I didn't really like it because I was never as intense about it as some people, but I was decent. Won about every other match. I wouldn't do it again, but the training made me fast as hell the next track season.

I had to face a girl once. I almost had to forfeit because I smacked my own lip and started to bleed (you can't complete if you're bleeding). Just a fair warning, you will not be as strong as males of the same size as you. If there is actually girls' wrestling where you live than you won't have to worry about that, but it hasn't gained acceptance as a sport yet really.

It's not practical at all for self defense but it's handy for juvenile horseplay. Push me down, will you...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 5:50:57 PM
At 1/17/2011 5:46:26 PM, Grape wrote:
I wrestled before there was an indoor track team for me to run on. I didn't really like it because I was never as intense about it as some people, but I was decent. Won about every other match. I wouldn't do it again, but the training made me fast as hell the next track season.

I had to face a girl once. I almost had to forfeit because I smacked my own lip and started to bleed (you can't complete if you're bleeding). Just a fair warning, you will not be as strong as males of the same size as you. If there is actually girls' wrestling where you live than you won't have to worry about that, but it hasn't gained acceptance as a sport yet really.

It's not practical at all for self defense but it's handy for juvenile horseplay. Push me down, will you...

Its not practical if someone is trying to mug you, but it is great for a bar fight.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 6:03:12 PM
At 1/17/2011 5:46:26 PM, Grape wrote:

Haha I have never been into things like running in a circle. If I'm gunna get physcal I want REAL physical competition, and real incentive to actually FIGHT. If thats not there I have no interest, and thus wont ever be good.

I had to face a girl once. I almost had to forfeit because I smacked my own lip and started to bleed (you can't complete if you're bleeding).

You cant bleed and win? wtf?

Just a fair warning, you will not be as strong as males of the same size as you.

Maybe not, but I don't think gender is the issue there. I think the fact that I have no experience and everyone here has been doing it for years will tho.

If there is actually girls' wrestling where you live than you won't have to worry about that, but it hasn't gained acceptance as a sport yet really.

I doubt there is. I hope there isn't. I hate girl only sports. For example I like to play soccer, but not girls' soccer.

Haha I didn't think it would be. I thought it might help me find some ways that wot hurt too much to get my brothers away from me tho.

Seems like fun tho, I should make sure I get signed up and update my progress
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 6:36:54 PM
Karate FTW.

karate's pointless..and not worth a sh1t to you outside of tournaments.. i know.. my friend's a black belt... and i'd beat him up and down the street if i wanted to lol.. i'mma join that thai boxing i'd say..that'd be class..
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 6:40:25 PM
At 1/17/2011 6:36:54 PM, badger wrote:
Karate FTW.

karate's pointless..and not worth a sh1t to you outside of tournaments.. i know.. my friend's a black belt... and i'd beat him up and down the street if i wanted to lol.. i'mma join that thai boxing i'd say..that'd be class..

leave out the "and"..
signature
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 7:35:09 PM
I have coached wrestling. If you weigh more than 119 it will tough for you win. If any bleeding (usually nose or lip) cannot be stopped you are dq'd. Girls also wear something like a swimming cap under their headgear.

You'll definitely be stronger, and more self confident. You'll be very surprised to see how long 3 minutes can be though :o)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 9:32:56 PM
At 1/17/2011 6:40:25 PM, badger wrote:
Karate FTW.

leave out the "and"..

Pfft, Karate has helped me kick@ss. Your friend sucks if he can't use it in a street fight.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 9:40:09 PM
At 1/17/2011 9:32:56 PM, annhasle wrote:
Karate FTW.

leave out the "and"..

Pfft, Karate has helped me kick@ss. Your friend sucks if he can't use it in a street fight.

he goes off to competitions in europe fairly often.. he's actually supposed to be a fairly good show pony from what i hear (i'm not that great of friends with him.. we live a nice bit apart)... but no good when it really comes down to it... and he admits himself that the only use karate could be offensively or defensively to anyone would be in a tournament against someone else using it.. otherwise you'd get your arse handed to you.. like he can raise his leg above my head while we're just standing there doing nothing... so what? imagine he tried it in a fight with someone not using karate... how fast would they turn him up on his hole.. very! :)
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 9:50:30 PM
At 1/17/2011 9:40:09 PM, badger wrote:
Karate FTW.

leave out the "and"..

he goes off to competitions in europe fairly often.. he's actually supposed to be a fairly good show pony from what i hear (i'm not that great of friends with him.. we live a nice bit apart)... but no good when it really comes down to it... and he admits himself that the only use karate could be offensively or defensively to anyone would be in a tournament against someone else using it.. otherwise you'd get your arse handed to you.. like he can raise his leg above my head while we're just standing there doing nothing... so what? imagine he tried it in a fight with someone not using karate... how fast would they turn him up on his hole.. very! :)

Aight, that's cool and all but.... I've used Karate for years now and have some experience fighting. I mean, c'mon.... It helps you block. You can read their movements and anticipate their blows. You know where to hit/kick for ultimate impact. You have proper technique for optimal damage. You have quick reflexes. The list goes on... You can't use JUST karate since street fighting requires you to improvise but it would be stupid if you didn't use at least some of the technique/skills.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 9:54:36 PM
I only wrestle girls, and usually by the time we are done, everyone is naked and smoking cigarettes.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 10:01:07 PM
At 1/17/2011 9:50:30 PM, annhasle wrote:
Karate FTW.

leave out the "and"..

Aight, that's cool and all but.... I've used Karate for years now and have some experience fighting. I mean, c'mon.... It helps you block. You can read their movements and anticipate their blows. You know where to hit/kick for ultimate impact. You have proper technique for optimal damage. You have quick reflexes. The list goes on... You can't use JUST karate since street fighting requires you to improvise but it would be stupid if you didn't use at least some of the technique/skills.

so.. basically.. karate sucks.. and you'd be better off studying something like thai boxing if you're looking to dig the head off someone :) ...and karate sure does suck.. from what i've seen anyway..maybe he didn't represent it well though.. i've been deadening my shins getting ready for thai boxing with the last few days...i'm probably gonna just jump straight into fighting rather than training for a while first (like it's the only reason i'm gonna do it really lol)... who knows? it might teach me to have a bit of respect for technique...i doubt it though ;)..lol
signature
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 10:07:30 PM
At 1/17/2011 7:35:09 PM, twsurber wrote:
I have coached wrestling. If you weigh more than 119 it will tough for you win.

115 ftw!

If any bleeding (usually nose or lip) cannot be stopped you are dq'd.

awww wtf, lood i the good part. I thought you just had to pin them down for like 2 secs to win and "low shots" or invalid moves got disqualified. I did't know being injured could! :o

Girls also wear something like a swimming cap under their headgear.

So short hair isn't even needed?! I could have signed up last summer?!

You'll definitely be stronger, and more self confident. You'll be very surprised to see how long 3 minutes can be though :o)

haha sounds like fun :D
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 10:14:43 PM
At 1/17/2011 10:01:07 PM, badger wrote:
Karate FTW.

leave out the "and"..

so.. basically.. karate sucks.. and you'd be better off studying something like thai boxing if you're looking to dig the head off someone :) ...and karate sure does suck.. from what i've seen anyway..maybe he didn't represent it well though.. i've been deadening my shins getting ready for thai boxing with the last few days...i'm probably gonna just jump straight into fighting rather than training for a while first (like it's the only reason i'm gonna do it really lol)... who knows? it might teach me to have a bit of respect for technique...i doubt it though ;)..lol

Karate does not suck... D:< If you were in a street fight and tried Thai Boxing moves... I could sweep your feet and you'd be down. Thai boxing is cool but against other martial arts or the normal street fight -- LOL. it won't work dude.:P But if you're ragging on Karate, idk why you would start Thai boxing. It has the same standard techniques and skills... I'd train before you start fighting. it looks like fun but once you're on the mats, you can get hurt within 2 sec. without proper skill. i can't wait until you post a message talking about how you respect the techniques and skills... most people scoff but once they're in the class, they understand why it's so important. :)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 10:26:48 PM
At 1/17/2011 10:14:43 PM, annhasle wrote:
Karate FTW.

leave out the "and"..

Karate does not suck... D:< If you were in a street fight and tried Thai Boxing moves... I could sweep your feet and you'd be down. Thai boxing is cool but against other martial arts or the normal street fight -- LOL. it won't work dude.:P But if you're ragging on Karate, idk why you would start Thai boxing. It has the same standard techniques and skills... I'd train before you start fighting. it looks like fun but once you're on the mats, you can get hurt within 2 sec. without proper skill. i can't wait until you post a message talking about how you respect the techniques and skills... most people scoff but once they're in the class, they understand why it's so important. :)

haha.. ok just say the exact same thing i said about karate about thai boxing... are you serious? i mean seriously.. karate... the fancy showy one all about high flamboyant kicks and silly little twirls... versus thai boxing..the one where competitors actually pulverise each other (as opposed to just touch each other...like in stupid karate :P) with practical blows... and just sensible fighting styles in general... pffffttt...

and you probably won't be gettin' that message.. i'm a different breed :)
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 10:35:43 PM
At 1/17/2011 10:26:48 PM, badger wrote:
At 1/17/2011 10:14:43 PM, annhasle wrote:

haha.. ok just say the exact same thing i said about karate about thai boxing... are you serious? i mean seriously.. karate... the fancy showy one all about high flamboyant kicks and silly little twirls... versus thai boxing..the one where competitors actually pulverise each other (as opposed to just touch each other...like in stupid karate :P) with practical blows... and just sensible fighting styles in general... pffffttt...

Nah, Karate is more legit than Thai boxing. I have no idea where you're getting your info from but when I taught Karate, we fvcking HIT each other. We didn't wear those stupid helmets or padding. And we didn't stop if someone started bleeding. Lol. High flamboyant kicks? Little twirls? Are you sure you're not watching Gymnastics? Lol. We ain't flamboyant or silly -- you choose your ethod of attack based on your opponents reaction time and openings. Flamboyancy would slow us down and twirls don't help. Flips we use and that's only if we're cornered. I've sparred against students of Karate, Thai boxing, Tae Kwon Do, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Same standard technique but Karate is by far the best imo. Thai boxing just looks like two guys locked in a hug trying to grope each other. Lol.

and you probably won't be gettin' that message.. i'm a different breed :)

We'll see. :P
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:40:07 PM
At 1/17/2011 10:35:43 PM, annhasle wrote:
I've sparred against students of Karate, Thai boxing, Tae Kwon Do, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Same standard technique
That does not even remotely make sense. BJJ is about taking someone to the ground, vying for a dominant position, and submitting them. The rest are about striking.

Thai boxing just looks like two guys locked in a hug trying to grope each other.
There's a reason for that "hug". If you have control of their body while you stick a knee in someone, you can target it better, and it can't move to avoid or soften a blow.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:41:44 PM
As for the message about technique, I just started Judo, which is hammering it into me. :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:47:37 PM
and the flamboyant kicks-- I'm pretty sure that's TKD, not Karate.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:48:23 PM
At 1/17/2011 11:40:07 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I've sparred against students of Karate, Thai boxing, Tae Kwon Do, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Same standard technique

That does not even remotely make sense. BJJ is about taking someone to the ground, vying for a dominant position, and submitting them. The rest are about striking.

And the rest aren't? Seriously? They aren't simply about striking -- it's asserting power over another through the use of strategic blows and manipulation of "contact zones" by making their body more vulnerable to the strikes. In Karate, when the match is brought to an end, your opponent must be brought to the ground and immobilized. Also, when I said standard technique, I meant they have the same core attributes which run through all Martial Arts -- blocking, punching, kicking, etc. with crucial differences which help differentiate the art forms.

Thai boxing just looks like two guys locked in a hug trying to grope each other.
There's a reason for that "hug". If you have control of their body while you stick a knee in someone, you can target it better, and it can't move to avoid or soften a blow.

Yes, I know the reason. I still find it odd. In Karate, the distance between you and your opponent is critical. That way you can judge their movement through watching their hips and shoulders. You can judge their reaction time and technique with more ease. The list goes on... I guess I'm just used to Karate. I still like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since I did train for a couple months but <shrugs>...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:55:03 PM
At 1/17/2011 11:41:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
As for the message about technique, I just started Judo, which is hammering it into me. :P

Militant Japanese people! Lol. I met a Judo teacher at a Karate competition where I competed... He was fvcking crazy but he taught me some good throw downs. Judo is ALL about technique... You are SO screwed if you don't have discipline. ^_^
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 12:13:29 AM
At 1/17/2011 11:48:23 PM, annhasle wrote:

And the rest aren't? Seriously? They aren't simply about striking -- it's asserting power over another through the use of strategic blows
That;s striking.

and manipulation of "contact zones" by making their body more vulnerable to the strikes.

In Karate, when the match is brought to an end, your opponent must be brought to the ground and immobilized.
In BJJ, almost the entire match typically plays out on the ground.

Also, when I said standard technique, I meant they have the same core attributes which run through all Martial Arts -- blocking, punching, kicking, etc
Blocking, punching, and kicking are not present in BJJ. Well, blocking you could define loosely I suppose, but punching and kicking are NOT.
Now, someone teaching BJJ may also teach strikes. But that's not what BJJ is about, indeed, it violates the rules of BJJ competitions at all levels. It's a grappling art.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 12:13:39 AM
lol karate, the majority of teachings in the USA (and I'm guessing other countries) are heavily diluted from anything sensibly formidable to other martial arts (namely Thai, BJJ, Krav Maga, etc.) in terms of effectiveness. Same goes for TKD, and many other asian martial arts -- the truth of the matter is, many techniques and teachings are largely untested, or their effectiveness is inflated. I'll admit that some obscure center in the middle of Asia may provide a raw and practical martial art, but most karate, TKD, etc. centers in the modern world can be seen with ton of middle-school children holding black belts. Not because America has an incredible influx of physically impressive citizens (quite the opposite...), but because it's so much easier to get a black belt now - there's a much larger emphasis on "time spent enrolling in the course" than "actually being good in the course/martial art".
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 12:36:24 AM
At 1/18/2011 12:13:29 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/17/2011 11:48:23 PM, annhasle wrote:

And the rest aren't? Seriously? They aren't simply about striking -- it's asserting power over another through the use of strategic blows
That;s striking.

If you continue on....

and manipulation of "contact zones" by making their body more vulnerable to the strikes.

I was trying to get across that it's not JUST about striking. You talk about it as though there's no difficulty and you just stand their punching.

In Karate, when the match is brought to an end, your opponent must be brought to the ground and immobilized.
In BJJ, almost the entire match typically plays out on the ground.

Yes. But you said that BJJ was the only one that mandated immobilization and throwdowns. Which isn't true.

Also, when I said standard technique, I meant they have the same core attributes which run through all Martial Arts -- blocking, punching, kicking, etc
Blocking, punching, and kicking are not present in BJJ. Well, blocking you could define loosely I suppose, but punching and kicking are NOT.

That's true. In most cases.

Now, someone teaching BJJ may also teach strikes. But that's not what BJJ is about, indeed, it violates the rules of BJJ competitions at all levels. It's a grappling art.

Yes, but you'll find more Martial Arts infusion dojos where BJJ is taught with striking and kicking (but it isn't the main focus, you are right). The BJJ teacher I trained under used some striking techniques to teach faster reflexes to his students. This has become more popular.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 12:43:55 AM
At 1/18/2011 12:13:39 AM, TheSkeptic wrote:
lol karate, the majority of teachings in the USA (and I'm guessing other countries) are heavily diluted from anything sensibly formidable to other martial arts (namely Thai, BJJ, Krav Maga, etc.) in terms of effectiveness. Same goes for TKD, and many other asian martial arts -- the truth of the matter is, many techniques and teachings are largely untested, or their effectiveness is inflated. I'll admit that some obscure center in the middle of Asia may provide a raw and practical martial art, but most karate, TKD, etc. centers in the modern world can be seen with ton of middle-school children holding black belts. Not because America has an incredible influx of physically impressive citizens (quite the opposite...), but because it's so much easier to get a black belt now - there's a much larger emphasis on "time spent enrolling in the course" than "actually being good in the course/martial art".

Okay, I disagree with that wholeheartedly. I was a Karate instructor after 9 years of training both here and abroad. And where I taught in Seattle was no shabby, diluted American school with fat white instructors and five year olds wit blue belts. First of all, only Japanese was spoken. Secondly, my teacher was taught in Japan and has been fighting for over 30 years -- he's won competitions both state and National. So what he taught was not American Karate, it was Japanese. Third, it is SO not easy to get a black belt. It took me nine years! It takes incredible discipline, dedication and strength. You have to master not only Enshin karate but also the use of a Shinai (Kendo sword) which looks like fun -- but it's a b!tch to learn. I mean, c'mon.... Over-generalization, much?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 1:01:14 AM

Yes, but you'll find more Martial Arts infusion dojos where BJJ is taught with striking and kicking (but it isn't the main focus, you are right). The BJJ teacher I trained under used some striking techniques to teach faster reflexes to his students. This has become more popular.
We call that "MMA" or "cross training."^_^
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2011 1:06:10 AM
At 1/18/2011 1:01:14 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

We call that "MMA" or "cross training."^_^

I think MMA would be the best descriptive. :P