Jump to topic:

Essay competion

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:36:26 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
So found this one bank that's hosting a nation wide essay completion on black history month, offering a 5k scholarship for the winner.

Given that my recently $hitty grades have essentially eliminated my chances for most government scholarships (with the exception of bursaries, but haven't looked yet :P) I decided to throw my bid in for this one.

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:
- 750 WORD LIMIT. My debate arguments may show otherwise, but I'm a massive "over-writer", word count limits are the devil. How the flying fvck am I supposed to do this essay in only one page?! m8 it'd take me a page and a half just to introduce the topic, let alone the whole essay.
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:51:49 AM
At 10/23/2016 3:36:26 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
So found this one bank that's hosting a nation wide essay completion on black history month, offering a 5k scholarship for the winner.

Given that my recently $hitty grades have essentially eliminated my chances for most government scholarships (with the exception of bursaries, but haven't looked yet :P) I decided to throw my bid in for this one.

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:
- 750 WORD LIMIT. My debate arguments may show otherwise, but I'm a massive "over-writer", word count limits are the devil. How the flying fvck am I supposed to do this essay in only one page?! m8 it'd take me a page and a half just to introduce the topic, let alone the whole essay.

What's the topic?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:54:14 AM

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

Just do a skit from the Chappelle's Show.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 3:59:51 AM
At 10/23/2016 3:51:49 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

What's the topic?

Significance of Black History Month in Canada
"Change your sig."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:16:48 AM
At 10/23/2016 3:59:51 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

What's the topic?

If you're allowed to type it up, use ridiculously small font so that you can fit a lot more on one page. If on paper, write really small if you can.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:20:57 AM

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

What's the topic?

Don't listen to Vox. 12-point font, Times New Roman. Trying to be sneaky by manipulating font size or type will just get you into trouble. 720 words is more than enough for a standard essay. Create an outline and stick to it. Intro, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion if you must.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:55:09 AM
At 10/23/2016 4:16:48 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

What's the topic?

If you're allowed to type it up, use ridiculously small font so that you can fit a lot more on one page. If on paper, write really small if you can.

Not going to make an impact on the character page.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 4:56:18 AM

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

I feel you, I have the same problem with fitting an entire business plan on a 15 page double spaced paper for a competition.

I suggest you don't go into too much detail over-explaining things, and try to be as direct and straight-forward as possible.

If it helps, write out the whole thing ignoring the character limit, then try to summarize it.
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 6:42:52 AM
At 10/23/2016 4:20:57 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

What's the topic?

Don't listen to Vox. 12-point font, Times New Roman. Trying to be sneaky by manipulating font size or type will just get you into trouble. 720 words is more than enough for a standard essay. Create an outline and stick to it.

Intro, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion if you must.

^^^
The issusion of this being a great strategy is why many people are bad writers of essays.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2016 6:45:10 AM

Good new:
-All stated above.

Bad news:

You aren't writing an essay, you are writing a rant. I know because i did one for a class that the techer gave us class time for and so i did it. I didn't put much effort into it but got a tie at second because i am lucky and have mad skillz. You are writing a rant, not an essay.
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-