Jump to topic:

Egg Drop Project (help?)

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 7:11:56 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
This would fit better in science or something, but no one looks there do they?

So we have a project for physics where we have to build something that can keep an egg from breaking (which includes visible cracking or leakage) when we throw it off the top of the school. We've had a few weeks to work on it, but with cross country keeping me out until around 6-6:30 each day, scouts on Monday and Tuesday, and just regular homework, I've barely done anything, and it's due on Friday.

I can only use the following materials:
- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard
- A viscous fluid (like syrup or jello)

It also can't be any bigger than a 25cm (10in) cube.

When the due date comes, we will be throwing them off the roof of our school, which is, depending on where we are, probably around 2 stories high. It can't be a design that has to be dropped a specific way, because the teacher will just randomly be chucking it. I can't have a raw egg, because if I bring my own egg, I have to break it afterwards to prove it's not raw. Of course, this also means that if I bring my own egg, the design doesn't have to require an opening since the egg will already be inside. If the egg breaks, I won't fail, but apparently I can only get an A if my egg survives.

I'm sure some of you have done this project before. Any suggestions?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 7:48:03 PM
At 10/31/2016 7:11:56 PM, Vaarka wrote:

So we have a project for physics where we have to build something that can keep an egg from breaking (which includes visible cracking or leakage) when we throw it off the top of the school. We've had a few weeks to work on it, but with cross country keeping me out until around 6-6:30 each day, scouts on Monday and Tuesday, and just regular homework, I've barely done anything, and it's due on Friday.

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

When the due date comes, we will be throwing them off the roof of our school, which is, depending on where we are, probably around 2 stories high. It can't be a design that has to be dropped a specific way, because the teacher will just randomly be chucking it. I can't have a raw egg, because if I bring my own egg, I have to break it afterwards to prove it's not raw. Of course, this also means that if I bring my own egg, the design doesn't have to require an opening since the egg will already be inside. If the egg breaks, I won't fail, but apparently I can only get an A if my egg survives.

You aren't allowed to use a metal can?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 8:28:36 PM
Here's my suggestion:
Take a big sheet of strong paper. Wrap it upwards like you would gift wrapping so that it's shaped like a balloon or something. Fill it with pancake syrup or honey (stored at room temperature in an open container), put the egg in when it's halfway filled and then fill it to the top, then use rubber bands to seal the top very tightly so that the contents will leak out quite slowly if turned upside down.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 8:32:55 PM
Whatever liquid you use, make sure that the egg will float in it.

The DDO Blog:

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 9:08:37 PM

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

Coat the egg in jello, put it in a sock, stuff a bunch of cardboard in there, and then compress it with rubber bands.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 9:32:34 PM

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

I completed the project last year, but with different rules and etc. For example, a $10 limit was imposed. For extra credit, the teacher must be able to stand on the contraption without the egg breaking. All I could say is that if you are going to test your device to ensure it works the way it should prior to the day it is due, you must create an environment that is similar to where it will be dropped on Friday. Last year, a student tested his device on grass. The egg didn't break, but once the teacher dropped it on concrete, the egg broke and he was severely bitter.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2016 11:56:41 PM

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

Take the cardboard and roll it into long dowell type things, which should form edges. Reinforce them with the popsickle sticks.

Make the cardboard into something like this:

http://www.hyperflight.com...

It should be see-through. Reinforce the joints with the popsickle sticks, and use DUCK TAPE to hold it all together. Make sure the joints are secured with DUCK TAPE.

Weave a mesh net out of rubber bands. This should be strong enough that it can support the full weight of the egg, and use zip ties to close the thing together.

Use multiple rubber bands to connect with all the edges at THE JOINTS of your device, shaped like the thing above. Have a rubber band going out to all the edges, and suspend the egg in the middle with lots of rubber bands. This will be hard, but the goal is to make the egg suspended perfectly in the center of your device. Your device should be about 2 to 2.5 or 3 feet wide. Use multiple rubber bands as needed.

Secure the rubber bands which are suspending the egg, and which connect to the mesh with SMALL ZIP TIES. This is important, lest the egg break. Make sure that the egg is secured inside the mesh with ZIP TIES as well.

Use good rubber bands, too. They are literally the shocks that will cushon the egg. Make sure they're tight, too.

If need be, I'll draw this thing up and take a picture of it to email it to you.

(Source: I won my elementary school's egg drop context using this design, although I used foam tubing instead of cardboard, but the materials difference should still be ok.)
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 1:23:04 AM
At 10/31/2016 11:56:41 PM, YYW wrote:

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

Take the cardboard and roll it into long dowell type things, which should form edges. Reinforce them with the popsickle sticks.

Make the cardboard into something like this:

http://www.hyperflight.com...

It should be see-through. Reinforce the joints with the popsickle sticks, and use DUCK TAPE to hold it all together. Make sure the joints are secured with DUCK TAPE.

Weave a mesh net out of rubber bands. This should be strong enough that it can support the full weight of the egg, and use zip ties to close the thing together.

Use multiple rubber bands to connect with all the edges at THE JOINTS of your device, shaped like the thing above. Have a rubber band going out to all the edges, and suspend the egg in the middle with lots of rubber bands. This will be hard, but the goal is to make the egg suspended perfectly in the center of your device. Your device should be about 2 to 2.5 or 3 feet wide. Use multiple rubber bands as needed.

Secure the rubber bands which are suspending the egg, and which connect to the mesh with SMALL ZIP TIES. This is important, lest the egg break. Make sure that the egg is secured inside the mesh with ZIP TIES as well.

Use good rubber bands, too. They are literally the shocks that will cushon the egg. Make sure they're tight, too.

If need be, I'll draw this thing up and take a picture of it to email it to you.

(Source: I won my elementary school's egg drop context using this design, although I used foam tubing instead of cardboard, but the materials difference should still be ok.)

This sounds good, but it can't be 2-3 feet wide
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 2:03:20 PM

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

Wrap up the egg in socks and rubber bands then wad a bunch of paper around it into a ball. Haxxxxxxxxx
Forum Record: 6/0

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."
-I'll keep this anonymous...-

"fuk off bog, no one even reads your crap, what price is you hooker now?"
-same dude as above....-
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 2:34:02 PM
At 11/1/2016 2:03:20 PM, Perussi wrote:

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

Wrap up the egg in socks and rubber bands then wad a bunch of paper around it into a ball. Haxxxxxxxxx

Might as well give it a try since I could do this in about 5 minutes

Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 3:28:02 PM
At 11/1/2016 2:34:02 PM, Vaarka wrote:

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

It won't be heavy and is very un-aerodynamic.

Funny Quotes:

"i worship satan and allahu akbar and hispanic muslims i am an illigal immigrant"
-communist_snake-

"What fuking dates are you talking about child. the and ridiculous and stay out of mummies drugs, you're fuked."

-same dude as above....-
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 3:31:04 PM
At 11/1/2016 3:28:02 PM, Perussi wrote:

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

Lol, I know a spot to throw it. If this somehow works through multiple test-throws, I will endorse you for the next DDO Hall of Fame

Perussi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2016 4:45:41 PM
At 11/1/2016 3:31:04 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/1/2016 3:28:02 PM, Perussi wrote:

- Paper
- Popsicle sticks
- Rubber bands
- Socks or hosiery
- Cardboard

Lol, I know a spot to throw it. If this somehow works through multiple test-throws, I will endorse you for the next DDO Hall of Fame

Somehow? It will. And i haven't done enough for an endorsement.

Funny Quotes:

-communist_snake-

-same dude as above....-