What's cool in Boston?

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 6:23:19 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Restaraunts, attractions, &c.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 7:07:41 PM
At 11/4/2016 6:23:19 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

The Union Oyster House is a must go to restaurant. Also take a stroll through little Italy and find a small hole in the wall place; most are good. If you're a history fan walk the freedom trail and hit the Commons. There are many tourist kiosks in and around the town commons with tons of information for free. The Duck Tours are campy and touristy, but a blast. Make reservations as much as a week in advance to get a seat at a time you want. The Museum of Art is one of my all time favorites. It's free on Wednesdays 4-9PM. There are also several whale watch boat tours and booze cruises that are located on the docks by the aquarium. Avoid the aquarium, it's small and expensive. Newbury Street, a short walk from the Commons. It's full of high end shops where nothing is affordable, but you can window shop and dream. Boston is a very walkable city and the subway routes are easy to read, but I don't advise using the T after dark, use taxi's. As much as Cambridge is touted, there's not much worth your time to see. Traffic is heinous with endless one way streets that make it difficult to get around. At the Charlestown Navy yard just outside Boston is the US Constitution ship museum; nice for history, but not worth the price. Also, avoid The Bunker Hill monument, it's in a very bad crime riddled section of town. Do not be tempted, you will get mugged or assaulted.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2016 7:12:46 PM

There's several cool places worth visiting in Boston. Here's a few places that I've been to and explored while there:

1) Freedom Trail (3-mile walking trail that takes you through several important historical sites)
2) Fenway Park (if you're into Baseball)
3) The Bull and Finch Pub (filming location for the show Cheers)
4) Harvard University (pretty cool walking the campus and various buildings)
5) Boston Harbor (another neat historical site)
6) Plethora of Museums (There's an art museum, science museum, new england aquarium, JFK Presidential Library, etc.)
7) MIT campus (cool to check out if you're a fan of modern and post-modern architecture)

Also, stay warm!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Dirty.Harry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 3:40:32 PM

The air temperature.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 4:52:40 PM

For dinner, go to the North End, and eat at any restaurant there. You cannot go wrong. Also for dinner, go to Legal Seafood, and get anything. It is all very good.

For lunch, go to Faneuil Hall. It's pronounced fan-you-el. Three syllables. There is good shopping around there too.

For you, go to J Press in Cambridge. It's like Brooks Brothers, only better. This is the address: 82 Mt Auburn St, Cambridge, MA 02138. I recommend their shirts, and underwear.

On the subject of shopping, you will likely most enjoy your time at the Prudential Center. We call it "the Pru." It has mostly everything worth buying.

If you are interested in high end shopping, or just generally the "upper crust" of Boston's shopping, then go to Newbury Street. It is Boston's Fifth Avenue, or Chicago's North Michigan Avenue. There is no better shopping in the city.

My only "touristy" recommendation is that you do a Duck Tour. They are awesome, but you might get wet.

For historical enrichment, see Freedom Trail or just go to the Old North Church, on Bunker Hill. It's really a remarkable experience.

The Museum of Science, likewise, is spectacular. Highly recommended.
Tsar of DDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2016 6:08:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, all. I'm in Boston right now (just got back from
NH, which was my main destination), but, due to a series of truly unfortunate and absurd events, I have much less time than I thought I would. I'll have to come back next weekend to actually *do* stuff.

At 11/5/2016 4:52:40 PM, YYW wrote:

For you, go to J Press in Cambridge. It's like Brooks Brothers, only better. This is the address: 82 Mt Auburn St, Cambridge, MA 02138. I recommend their shirts, and underwear.

This in particular is on the money - Press is everything I wish Brooks still was (and even Press has slightly declined). I went to the one in DC, because why not,, but I really want to hit the Cambridge/New Haven stores.

I'm wearing a pair of their flannel trousers and a hunting jacket right now: two of the best pieces I own.

Counting down the days until they reopen the mainline store in NYC... York Street doesn't really do it for me.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2016 4:09:39 AM

I haven't seen much of Boston (I was only there for 5 days) but there are some cool historical areas in Salem to visit.