Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 1:28:42 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
At 11/13/2016 1:25:55 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Good idea? Bad idea? Pros? Cons?

Looking for opinions.

I say good idea. It's a flexible degree. Main con is that it's not one of the STEM majors.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 1:35:03 AM

Looking for opinions.

I got a minor in poli sci. The classes are pretty easy but people aint gonna be knocking down your door to employ you.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 1:45:10 AM
At 11/13/2016 1:28:42 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Looking for opinions.

I say good idea. It's a flexible degree. Main con is that it's not one of the STEM majors.

I am jealous of people who can memorize science and process mathematics. I tried and fell on my face in college, and settled for environmental policy. If you can handle math and science courses, don't screw around with social sciences bro. You don't want to be a 35 year-old construction worker like me lol
Beliefs in a nutshell:
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 1:49:11 AM

Looking for opinions.

As I have said before, I have a bachelors degree and a masters degree in political science. The masters degree was obtained while I was going for a Ph.D. That plan changed, obviously, because of my incompatibility with establishment academia. My perspective is that of a person who has a particular distaste for political science departments, and social science, generally. There are pros and cons to majoring in political science.

The pros include, but are not limited to: (1) the fact that it's really easy to stand out if you're smart because most really smart people don't major in political science--they get degrees in real sciences or engineering or whatever; (2) at every school, there are notoriously easy classes you can pick that will ensure you graduate with a well-padded GPA; (3) even in tougher classes, even modest effort is usually enough to get an A; (4) if you like it, you are likely to do well in it and stick with it; (5) you have a knowledge base to understand the world around you in ways that most Americans will not.

The con's include: (1) you will be surrounded with wannabe politicians, lawyers, and actual social justice warriors whose personalities and--often poorly articulated, if not outrightly stupid--opinions are things that you will be accosted with the entire time you're an undergrad; (2) most of the people around you are not the 'cream of the crop' so you will have little incentive to work hard, apply yourself, and intellectually grow; (3) there are really good professors, and spectacularly terrible professors who often are so caught up with their own bullshit_that they cannot see things outside of their own perspective; (4) the content will not teach you to be a more critical thinker unless you structure your course load to include hard-hitting content courses and methods courses; (5) you will be incredibly irritated by how stupid the vast majority of the people around you.

There are also long term pros and cons as well. On the positive side, it's usually pretty easy to get into grad school for a political science program. Unless you failed to get involved with your university's department, it's not likely you'll get rejected. On the negative side, even if you do get into a graduate program, all of the interpersonal bullshit_I described above is going to be THAT MUCH WORSE. You will find incredibly stupid, inarticulate, SJW types in poli sci grad programs throughout our fruited plains. They're usually the idiots who picked poli sci because they sucked at math in high school and thought they could escape such things as statistics by availing themselves of a social science major. But, in graduate school, the only thing that matters is your analytical ability and it is almost entirely data driven. If something like regression analysis scares you, then poli sci will be too much for you beyond the bachelors level.

At the doctoral level, on the one hand it's really easy to do comprehensives if you LIKE the material, because you'll be committed to learning it. If, however, you are not in love with it, the process will burn you out harder than the Columbia space shuttle. Keep that in mind. Most people who start Ph.D.'s don't finish them, because they're too hard. Getting a masters degree is easy, but getting a Ph.D., content wise, is not. The other aspect of a Ph.D. program is that, even though most of the mouth breathing progressive-sjw types do get filtered out... they still set the tone for all Ph.D. programs.

The reason I left my Ph.D. program is because I hated the social aspect of it. I hated having to listen to people bitch and moan about social justice. I hated the illiberal way that graduate students and undergraduates in my department went out of their way to bitch_and_moan about speakers they didn't like. Even the mention of a safe space (I was in the program about when that concept hit the halls of higher education) was, really, too much because I knew what it would lead to.

The other thing is that getting a Ph.D. was not intellectually challenging for me, enough. I didn't like research at all, and I hated a lot of the people. I could not stand the stupid affirmative action people who struggled to keep up in class with incredibly easy stuff. I could not stand the professors who were dumber than I was. I could not stand how slow it all went and I was bored. I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life, or be with those people for the rest of my life... so I got the fvck out.

There are few things you can do with an undergraduate degree in political science these days. Volunteering for an NGO (hard to get, pay is nonexistent, and too many SJWs), going to law school (most people this is not a good option for because of the highly competitive environment dominated by type-As), and trying to get a job in politics (nearly impossible outside of DC, and even inside DC the jobs go pretty much to the best students at UVA, Georgetown, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, and similar schools nearby) is really hard to do unless you have real political connections (like, you're friends with an ambassador, went to high school with a senator's kid, etc.).
Tsar of DDO
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 4:22:22 AM
At 11/13/2016 1:49:11 AM, YYW wrote:

Looking for opinions.

As I have said before, I have a bachelors degree and a masters degree in political science. The masters degree was obtained while I was going for a Ph.D. That plan changed, obviously, because of my incompatibility with establishment academia. My perspective is that of a person who has a particular distaste for political science departments, and social science, generally. There are pros and cons to majoring in political science.

The pros include, but are not limited to: (1) the fact that it's really easy to stand out if you're smart because most really smart people don't major in political science--they get degrees in real sciences or engineering or whatever; (2) at every school, there are notoriously easy classes you can pick that will ensure you graduate with a well-padded GPA; (3) even in tougher classes, even modest effort is usually enough to get an A; (4) if you like it, you are likely to do well in it and stick with it; (5) you have a knowledge base to understand the world around you in ways that most Americans will not.

The con's include: (1) you will be surrounded with wannabe politicians, lawyers, and actual social justice warriors whose personalities and--often poorly articulated, if not outrightly stupid--opinions are things that you will be accosted with the entire time you're an undergrad; (2) most of the people around you are not the 'cream of the crop' so you will have little incentive to work hard, apply yourself, and intellectually grow; (3) there are really good professors, and spectacularly terrible professors who often are so caught up with their own bullshit_that they cannot see things outside of their own perspective; (4) the content will not teach you to be a more critical thinker unless you structure your course load to include hard-hitting content courses and methods courses; (5) you will be incredibly irritated by how stupid the vast majority of the people around you.

There are also long term pros and cons as well. On the positive side, it's usually pretty easy to get into grad school for a political science program. Unless you failed to get involved with your university's department, it's not likely you'll get rejected. On the negative side, even if you do get into a graduate program, all of the interpersonal bullshit_I described above is going to be THAT MUCH WORSE. You will find incredibly stupid, inarticulate, SJW types in poli sci grad programs throughout our fruited plains. They're usually the idiots who picked poli sci because they sucked at math in high school and thought they could escape such things as statistics by availing themselves of a social science major. But, in graduate school, the only thing that matters is your analytical ability and it is almost entirely data driven. If something like regression analysis scares you, then poli sci will be too much for you beyond the bachelors level.

At the doctoral level, on the one hand it's really easy to do comprehensives if you LIKE the material, because you'll be committed to learning it. If, however, you are not in love with it, the process will burn you out harder than the Columbia space shuttle. Keep that in mind. Most people who start Ph.D.'s don't finish them, because they're too hard. Getting a masters degree is easy, but getting a Ph.D., content wise, is not. The other aspect of a Ph.D. program is that, even though most of the mouth breathing progressive-sjw types do get filtered out... they still set the tone for all Ph.D. programs.

The reason I left my Ph.D. program is because I hated the social aspect of it. I hated having to listen to people bitch and moan about social justice. I hated the illiberal way that graduate students and undergraduates in my department went out of their way to bitch_and_moan about speakers they didn't like. Even the mention of a safe space (I was in the program about when that concept hit the halls of higher education) was, really, too much because I knew what it would lead to.

The other thing is that getting a Ph.D. was not intellectually challenging for me, enough. I didn't like research at all, and I hated a lot of the people. I could not stand the stupid affirmative action people who struggled to keep up in class with incredibly easy stuff. I could not stand the professors who were dumber than I was. I could not stand how slow it all went and I was bored. I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life, or be with those people for the rest of my life... so I got the fvck out.

There are few things you can do with an undergraduate degree in political science these days. Volunteering for an NGO (hard to get, pay is nonexistent, and too many SJWs), going to law school (most people this is not a good option for because of the highly competitive environment dominated by type-As), and trying to get a job in politics (nearly impossible outside of DC, and even inside DC the jobs go pretty much to the best students at UVA, Georgetown, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, and similar schools nearby) is really hard to do unless you have real political connections (like, you're friends with an ambassador, went to high school with a senator's kid, etc.).

Just the advice I was looking for (though Uni is way less politically divisive in Canada, so I'm less worried on the social aspect)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 4:23:42 AM
At 11/13/2016 1:45:10 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
If you can handle math and science courses, don't screw around with social sciences bro. You don't want to be a 35 year-old construction worker like me lol

I was seriously considering a bio major. But my seething hatred for math was a deterrent.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 4:37:40 AM

Looking for opinions.

A big con is people in other science degrees making fun of political science

For example: https://www.google.co.nz...
Meh!
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 4:39:46 AM
At 11/13/2016 4:37:40 AM, Axonly wrote:

Looking for opinions.

A big con is people in other science degrees making fun of political science

For example: https://www.google.co.nz...
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 5:07:20 AM
At 11/13/2016 1:49:11 AM, YYW wrote:

You will find incredibly stupid, inarticulate, SJW types in poli sci grad programs

Yeah he's pretty much describing me. Just stay away bro. Hell I don't even know what sjw means.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 5:10:04 AM
At 11/13/2016 4:23:42 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
If you can handle math and science courses, don't screw around with social sciences bro. You don't want to be a 35 year-old construction worker like me lol

I was seriously considering a bio major. But my seething hatred for math was a deterrent.

How much math is in bio? I guess you will have chem and some periphery courses but bio is solid memorization. Go memorize all the bones and muscles and connective tissues in your body and if you still have a pulse afterwards you are bio material.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 6:07:41 PM
At 11/13/2016 5:10:04 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

How much math is in bio? I guess you will have chem and some periphery courses but bio is solid memorization. Go memorize all the bones and muscles and connective tissues in your body and if you still have a pulse afterwards you are bio material.

Calculus, and lots of Chem.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 8:52:38 PM
At 11/13/2016 6:07:41 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 11/13/2016 5:10:04 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Calculus, and lots of Chem.

I dropped like a fly when stoichiometry came up
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 8:57:35 PM
I am currently dating a politician. There actually seems to be a lot of work in politics. Don't know so much about money, though.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2016 8:59:48 PM
Did I say "dating"? I meant "degrading".
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.