Cars

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 5:18:16 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/15/2016 4:49:58 AM, YYW wrote:
If you were going to buy a car... between the range of 40k to 70k, what would you get?

2000 Camero, painted red with white race stripes up the middle, have a removable roof.

Or I would want a good ol General Lee.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 1:36:20 PM
If you were going to buy a car... between the range of 40k to 70k, what would you get?

Step 1: Keep my car
Step 2: Use the 40k-70k for something else
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 3:56:54 PM
BMW M3, in either black or baby blue.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 8:19:21 PM

Is this hypothetical or are you looking for serious responses to help you with a personal decision?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 8:19:42 PM
At 11/16/2016 8:19:21 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Is this hypothetical or are you looking for serious responses to help you with a personal decision?

Serious responses
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:49:47 PM
At 11/17/2016 4:00:55 PM, TheFlex wrote:
Thought about a truck?

I drive a truck :3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 6:59:15 PM

Five Volvos:

1. Volvo 240 Wagon
2. Volvo 740 Wagon
3. Volvo 840 Wagon
4. Volvo 940 Wagon
5. Volvo 242 Sedan
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 7:00:03 PM
That's a serious response, by the way; that's exactly what I would do.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 7:29:42 PM

Save your money. Use Uber/Lyft.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 7:37:28 PM
At 11/16/2016 8:19:42 PM, YYW wrote:
At 11/16/2016 8:19:21 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Serious responses

Okay, if I remember correctly you live in a city, so I'm thinking newer coupes or cars with good MPG while still looking sharp. All of these are under 70k (most on this list are even under 60k) and aren't in any particular order.

1) 2016 BMW M2 - http://www.roadandtrack.com...

2) 2016 Audi A5 - http://www.thecarconnection.com...

3) 2016 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid - http://www.autobytel.com...

4) 2016 BMW 4 Series - http://www.edmunds.com...

5) 2016 Cadallac ATS (coupe version w/ various options) - http://www.autobytel.com...

6) 2016 Audi S5 - http://www.motortrend.com...

7) Infiniti Q60 - http://www.motortrend.com...

I didn't include any Mercedes in this list because any Mercedes worth having would cost more than 70k (imo).
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 7:50:38 PM
At 11/17/2016 6:49:47 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Thought about a truck?

Do you prefer it to a car?
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 7:52:33 PM
At 11/17/2016 7:50:38 PM, TheFlex wrote:
At 11/17/2016 6:49:47 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Thought about a truck?

Do you prefer it to a car?

I don't usually have a preference, but I can actually see pretty well when driving a truck (since, ya know, it's tall, and I'm short).

Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 8:18:55 PM

Audi Quattro.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 3:10:23 AM
At 11/16/2016 12:58:34 AM, Hayd wrote:
I'd donate the cost of the car to an environmental legal defense organization because cars cause pollution

What kind of 15 year old says that? My whole 15th year was saving up for my first ride like every other guy I knew. What country do you live in?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 3:15:31 AM
At 11/17/2016 7:29:42 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

Well that's what I have been doing. But in a year or so I'll have enough cash to just pay for a car.

In reality, I could probably go up to 120k for a car if I financed it, but I don't want to do that.

In reality, though, I'll probably just use it as a down payment on a condo.
Tsar of DDO
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 6:15:48 AM

It would be either this

New Car
Chevy SS, available with a stick!! One of the best cars you can buy right now. Sleeper, proven tech, fast, good driving, good practicality, a kick a$$ old school v8 with one of the best torque curves ever. Very rare in America (low depreciation) Wonderful car. Kind of like an American BMW, with the best sounding engine ever and of course still available with warranty. They look unsuspecting especially in pictures, but once you see one in person they feel like a quiet bad@ss that doesn't brag they can kill you and everything just looks perfect in my opinion. One of the few cars that is just solid. No flaws. The engine is so simple, and it begs to be modified down the road if 300 lb*ft of torque off the bat climbing to 400+ isn't enough. You will get truck like MPG in the low to mid 20's on HWY as its got a hot solid cam in it.

The last solid axle Shelby Mustang. Buy it, love it, cherish it. I would kill for that car, though I think the Chevy SS is a better design as an engineer, the Shelby Mustang is pure awesomeness. Just do it. Rock solid investment, and a hell of a car.

Jaguar F Type - American V8 in a Jaguar. You've got to see one of these. Probably costs a lot in maintenance but its cool, and Jags aren't known for their resale so you will lose, but its going to be a collector some day.

Dodge Challenger Hellcat - Great investment, and I don't know how good it is, but its cool.

Dodge Charger - More practical offering from dodge.

Chrysler 300C - Excellent car. You look good, you drive good, you feel good, and its assumed you've killed people.

New Chevy corvettes are very cool and actually pretty easy to care for.

New Truck
Either a Nissan Frontier, Nissan Titan, a Dodge Power wagon or a ford Raptor. I'd recommend the power wagon or the Ford Raptor because of better resale, but for total luxury or relaxing drive with cheaper running costs go with the Nissan Titan which is in my opinion one of the best Trucks ever to come out of America. Pick which one drives better. They are good trucks. Stick with the older engine on the Raptor if they've started turbo charging already. Consider one of the now aging Supercharged or just big engined Jeeps. They are very nice and AWD so they will pound you back in your seat.

In that price range I would also look for a classic resto-mod with a bench seat, a good maintenance record, and a fair chance that its already hit its lowest value. The lack of depreciation will save you however much gas you burn with the older tech, and it'll probably be pretty darn cool. Since its already modified, you don't take the initial hit from all of the parts. You won't feel guilty from cutting up an original vehicle, and you won't have to deal with one either.

Cruiser
Hard to beat an old buick. I'm partial to the riviera's, but you may want something in a convertible depending where you live. Grand Nationals work for cruising. All buicks do. Trucks can be made extremely comfortable, and are just fantastic to road trip in. Volvo's before Ford got involved can be wicked. Best box in the world and they make a hell of a good sleeper that won't kill you when you crash. Oldsmobiles are great especially the toronado and the old vista station wagons with the skylights. Dodge Power Wagons hold their value really well and are really cool. A supercharged Buick Park Avenue can be had very cleanly at an affordable and is great to build into a classy sleeper. Chevy caprice is very reliable and versatile. I'm partial to the 1989 two door with a bench seat of course. The chevy SSR is one of the ultimate American cruisers. I like the way chevrolet trucks cruise, but they aren't as good for drifting or driving in general as the SSR would be.

American Muscle
Buick again, get a GN or a GNX preferably. Just be happy with this one. They are fantastic cars to this day. They made some bad a$$ mobiles all through the days. Also partial to the El Camino. Old Shelby mustang. Dodge little red express is probably on par with the GNX as one of the coolest things ever. GMC cyclone very cool.

I love the old supercharged Studebakers.

Sports Car
1969 Datsun fairlady. Corvette. Some old roadster death trap like the early lotus's or an very early Datsun fairlady's. Nissan Skyline. Dodge charger, supposedly pretty raw and thrashable.

Luxury Car
Meh, actually I'm partial to those aging Mercedes diesels from the 80's. Slow as heck, but will last you forever. Probably one of the best made cars in existence.

Total Classic
Pre WWII Buick with a hopped up straight 8. Packard, if you can afford one. An old Plymouth pickup. A classic race car, the ultimate in death traps. Something with a shell you like on a modern chassis would be cool to. I'm really partial to woody wagons and pre WWII Buicks and Cadillacs. The monster cadillacs of the 1950's and 60's are cool too if you want a land yacht.

Jeep
There are tons of customization options for jeeps, whole dedicated companies. I believe the cut off point for me would be 2004 or earlier. The 2004 Jeep TJ with a 4.0 is regarded by many as the best Jeep ever. They made some cool trucks too. Grand Cherokees are very comfortable, and Cherokee's I just love them. You've gotta live the jeep life to understand Jeeps. A willy would be cool too, but that's not remotely what you have in mind. There is a company in my area that specializes in dropping hemi's into jeeps.

BMW
M3 ahhh. Z series or any aging roadster. I don't like modern BMW's. Mini Coopers are pretty cool too, and customizeable.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 5:58:21 PM
At 11/21/2016 3:15:31 AM, YYW wrote:

Well that's what I have been doing. But in a year or so I'll have enough cash to just pay for a car.

In reality, I could probably go up to 120k for a car if I financed it, but I don't want to do that.

Down payment on a Condo sounds like a much better idea.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 6:51:09 PM
At 11/21/2016 5:58:21 PM, FourTrouble wrote:

Down payment on a Condo sounds like a much better idea.

I'm inclined to agree. Parking is really expensive here, and I don't want to pay for it (or insurance, or any of the other costs associated with ownership) although I think that position might change soon, but idk.

The condo is probably what I'll go with, though... although realistically I could do both. The condo I want is about 450k, although the condo I'll probably buy is about 300k.
Tsar of DDO
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:27:55 PM
Posted: 1 week ago

Aren't you in a condo rn though?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:28:37 PM
If you have a place to live already and transport, why not use the money to travel somewhere? A nice getaway from the busy city life?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:30:30 PM
At 11/21/2016 11:27:55 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Aren't you in a condo rn though?

Apartment. Basically the same thing. Only difference is form of ownership.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 11:31:38 PM
At 11/21/2016 11:28:37 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
If you have a place to live already and transport, why not use the money to travel somewhere? A nice getaway from the busy city life?

Well, I probably will. I just have a hard time spending money on things that aren't practical.
Tsar of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 12:17:38 AM
At 11/15/2016 5:18:16 AM, lannan13 wrote:

2000 Camero, painted red with white race stripes up the middle, have a removable roof.

You like the 2000 Camaro?!!
#BlackLivesMatter
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 12:32:27 AM

http://car-from-uk.com...
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 12:50:29 AM
At 11/22/2016 12:17:38 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 11/15/2016 5:18:16 AM, lannan13 wrote:

You like the 2000 Camaro?!!

It was the car I grew up with and I like it very much and I would like to have one myself.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2016 5:36:16 AM

What are your needs?

What is your primary goal with the car? Do you want to be flashy? Are you an eco freak? Is there a particular kind of styling you like/dislike?