Jump to topic:

Rant about Dad

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 2:29:08 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
I've heard a statistic, that parents also favour their natural child more so than their adopted one. My step dad has known me since I was born. I've only met my biological dad twice. But lost contact with him about 5 years ago.

I've been living with my guardian family for about 8 years. My guardian mom and I are very close, as well as my brother. But my mom and I are so close that I think it makes my dad jealous. He does that often. But when my mom and brother hangout he doesn't care.

He always treats my brother far way better than me. Whennwe come home from school, and we're both in our rooms, he will go into my brothers room, sit down with him, and say "hi" etc..but he won't ever come in my room, or say a word to me for the rest of the day.

When my mom was trying to fill out paper work for me to have full guardianship over me..he stole the mouse for the computer...so she couldn't do it. That has stuck in my mind for the longest time. That was 7-8 years ago. When you come to our house, you'll notice that I am his less favorite. He won't say a word to me. And when he does...he's generally complaining about something..or making a comment about what I wear..or rolling his eyes at me for some reason, or mumbling under his breath about me.

I have past diary letters I've written from 6 years ago..abd I talked about the same thing as I'm talking about now..and I hate it. Sometimes I feel it'd just be best to run away, or move to a different state so I can be out of his life..and he doesn't have to deal with me anymore. He hates me...and I hate saying this, but I dislike him too.

I don't know what to do anymore...and I'm fed up with it.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 3:08:30 AM
At 11/19/2016 2:29:08 AM, Rosalie wrote:
I've heard a statistic, that parents also favour their natural child more so than their adopted one. My step dad has known me since I was born. I've only met my biological dad twice. But lost contact with him about 5 years ago.

I've been living with my guardian family for about 8 years. My guardian mom and I are very close, as well as my brother. But my mom and I are so close that I think it makes my dad jealous. He does that often. But when my mom and brother hangout he doesn't care.

He always treats my brother far way better than me. Whennwe come home from school, and we're both in our rooms, he will go into my brothers room, sit down with him, and say "hi" etc..but he won't ever come in my room, or say a word to me for the rest of the day.

When my mom was trying to fill out paper work for me to have full guardianship over me..he stole the mouse for the computer...so she couldn't do it. That has stuck in my mind for the longest time. That was 7-8 years ago. When you come to our house, you'll notice that I am his less favorite. He won't say a word to me. And when he does...he's generally complaining about something..or making a comment about what I wear..or rolling his eyes at me for some reason, or mumbling under his breath about me.

I have past diary letters I've written from 6 years ago..abd I talked about the same thing as I'm talking about now..and I hate it. Sometimes I feel it'd just be best to run away, or move to a different state so I can be out of his life..and he doesn't have to deal with me anymore. He hates me...and I hate saying this, but I dislike him too.

Yeah it's called the Cinderella effect
https://en.wikipedia.org...

I can relate somewhat. My step dad is way meaner to me than his daughter. And on the flip side, my mom is nicer to me than my step sister. My mom once got really mad at her because she used her shampoo even though it was the only woman's shampoo in the house....
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 3:08:45 AM

*hugs*
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 4:14:56 AM
At 11/19/2016 3:08:30 AM, n7 wrote:

I can relate somewhat. My step dad is way meaner to me than his daughter. And on the flip side, my mom is nicer to me than my step sister. My mom once got really mad at her because she used her shampoo even though it was the only woman's shampoo in the house....

I'm sorry.. :(
It's so awkward and uncomfortable.
Do you get along with your sister?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 6:39:28 AM
At 11/19/2016 5:24:57 AM, YYW wrote:
I've only ever wanted to adopt. I've never wanted to have my own kids.

Youve explained this to me once I belive.
It's because you wanted a teen..? You don't want to raise a baby.

n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 7:13:50 AM
At 11/19/2016 4:14:56 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 11/19/2016 3:08:30 AM, n7 wrote:

I'm sorry.. :(
It's so awkward and uncomfortable.
Do you get along with your sister?

Yeah, she's one of my only closest friends.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 4:36:08 PM

That is kind of bizarre. I had a similar experience myself. Things like this will not go away on their own...

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 9:46:38 PM

You're 20, right? If so, I imagine you won't be living at home for much longer (maybe 2 or 3 more years). If you run away, it'll hurt your relationship with your step mom, even though you have the legal right to do so. Put up with it until the day that you finally move out and learn not to think about your step dad. That's my advice.
Also, have you talked to your step mom about the way that he treats you? Perhaps being open about how you feel might spur her to try and correct the issue.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 1:05:02 AM
I'm gonna steal from House M.D. here on Freud, but "instinct of love toward an object demands a mastery to obtain it, and if a person feels they can't control the object or feel threatened by it, they act negatively toward it. Like an eighth-grade boy punching a girl." Sounds like this might apply between you and your step-dad, and so maybe it's a sort of love, really. It's just always easier to love family. Family is a safe investment when it comes to love, sort of.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 1:07:17 AM
There's actually a whole bunch of science there about ownership of a thing increasing love of a thing too. And I mean I know that all sounds a bit bleak, but... well, it is bleak. We're all terribly afraid of heartbreak. All love is corrupt as fck.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 2:13:19 AM
He probably just doesn't understand you and/or finds it difficult to connect and communicate with you; perhaps because he has it mind that you're not his biological daughter so he feels a little awkward. I would try not to take it personally and if it does bother you, maybe you could try to engage him in some simple conversation or something.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 1:15:15 PM

I would honestly suggest confiding this with your mother, since she seems to be very close to you. Even your brothers might be able to help. Since this is mostly a problem caused by a single family member, and you have other family members that don't cause problems, I'd say that doing something as rash as "running away" would be rather...well, foolish I guess.

Now, I'd usually not have as much of a problem with the "running away" thing, but since I've been working on a group project about human trafficking, and have learned that a lot of people who get tafficked are often runaways who are lost, hurt, or vulnerable. Not that you are necessarily any of those, but you're still pretty young (even if you're an adult), so that just makes me want to stress against the "running away" idea, especially since there are many other options, most of which are probably better than that.

Talk to your family, talk with your mom, your brothers, even maybe your dad if you think you need to. Avoidance is just a sign of bad parenting, so it's not really your fault.

If you wanna talk to me, or rant, I make a good screaming pillow. PM me if you need someone to rant to, and I'll listen ;3

Hugs and cuddles,
Vaarka
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
HeavenlyPanda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 3:50:05 PM

Awwwww, pwoor whittle baby. Does dwaddy hate you? pwoor you, I have a solution. Suck. It. Up. Who cares if your dad who's not even your dad doesn't like you? Why does that even bother you? And why are you so hung up over one person who doesn't like you? You've been doing that for 6 years. Move. On.
HeavenlyPanda. The most heavenly of all heavenly creatures.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:41:53 PM
Posted: 2 days ago

I always had really loving parents, but I remember years ago as a young teenager asking the question of why I wanted to be popular? Do I need people to like me?

I decided it was insecurity in myself, and I needed others to convince me otherwise. Anyway, I somewhat found who I am as teenagers do, made some mistakes and corrections and the only friends I have left are the ones worth having through thick and thin. Growing up, we tend to worship our parents, and seek their approval before we have our own, and it seems to stick. If yours never came around, you might always have that feeling, but don't let it hold you back. Just be respectful, and respectable, and then if someone says otherwise, you can politely call their bullsh!t without ill conscience.

Don't hold grudges and don't let them be held over you. Surpass them. Respect those whom you can't understand as you can't know what they know, and do not dwell on them as you won't know peace in what isn't right to you, nor disregard them as what they say is somehow tied to what they value.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:47:15 PM
Posted: 2 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:41:53 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

I always had really loving parents, but I remember years ago as a young teenager asking the question of why I wanted to be popular? Do I need people to like me?

I decided it was insecurity in myself, and I needed others to convince me otherwise. Anyway, I somewhat found who I am as teenagers do, made some mistakes and corrections and the only friends I have left are the ones worth having through thick and thin. Growing up, we tend to worship our parents, and seek their approval before we have our own, and it seems to stick. If yours never came around, you might always have that feeling, but don't let it hold you back. Just be respectful, and respectable, and then if someone says otherwise, you can politely call their bullsh!t without ill conscience.

Edited

Don't hold grudges and don't let them be held over you. Surpass them, and recognize when you've surpassed them. Respect those whom you can't understand as you can't know what they know, and do not dwell on them as you won't know peace in what isn't right to you, nor disregard them as what they say is somehow tied to what they value.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.