Jump to topic:

Group projects rant

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 2:11:24 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
Antone else hate them with a burning passion?
I'm doing a project for a class. There are six members of the group. One of them has done nothing. He also hasn't responded to any emails. This is a major semester project, and he hasn't done sh*t. And he doesn't even go to my school, so I can't yell at him in person. It aggravates me.
Obviously, you can quote me on that. I just said it. -Tony Stark
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 4:40:43 AM
At 11/28/2016 2:11:24 AM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:
I'm doing a project for a class. There are six members of the group. One of them has done nothing. He also hasn't responded to any emails. This is a major semester project, and he hasn't done sh*t. And he doesn't even go to my school, so I can't yell at him in person. It aggravates me.

I don't see why teachers think that you could accomplish more per person in a group than individually...then if the other group members do a sh*t job you get a sh*t grade even if you worked hard...
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 4:47:57 PM
At 11/28/2016 4:40:43 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

I don't see why teachers think that you could accomplish more per person in a group than individually...then if the other group members do a sh*t job you get a sh*t grade even if you worked hard...
It's not so much that they think we'll accomplish more, it's more that we need to be able to work with other people because life skillz.
But they still suck.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 7:25:25 PM

I wrote about this in that "what gets your goat" thread.

I ranted about how I was in a 4-person group project last year. I'll divide the days into Week 1 and Week 2, project being due on Friday of Week 2. On Tuesday of Week 1, we were assigned group members, and worked on it some on Wednesday. By Friday, we've assigned tasks and "who's doing what". Now, I'd gotten maybe about half of my part done, and we were supposed to have it finished by Monday of Week 2. I was going on a campout that night, and wouldn't be back until Sunday afternoon, and I told my group this.

So I get back Sunday, only to find out someone in my group had decided that "I was taking too long" and finished my part for me. Okay, whatever.

Monday comes along, and I begin to ask "what can I do?" and the general response was either some *really* simple task, like "go get this from the printer" or "find a picture of a water bottle and send it to me", or "no, you're fine" and "we've got it".

Now, I'm sick for Tuesday and Wednesday of Week 2. I still got up and sent them emails, asking if they needed me to do anything from home. I got two responses:
"No, we're fine. See you when you come back."
"If you could find a picture of a map, that would be helpful."

So I go and find a picture of a map and send it to them. They don't use it and find something else.

Come back Thursday, and we repeat the same stuff from Monday.

Finally, due date shows up. Friday of Week 2. We turn in the finished project, and we have to do "group evaluation". I mentioned in mine that I went camping over the weekend and was sick, and also mentioned that, while I asked several times, my group never really gave me anything to do, and usually went ahead and finished what I could do before I finished it (for example, my weekend portion).

We get our grades back. We did fine on the project, but I did poorly compared to my group. Why? Because I "didn't finish my parts, and the group had to finish it for me", and "I just sat around and did nothing productive or very helpful". Along with that, my teacher told me that "being sick is not an excuse" and that I should've contacted my group members from home (which I did) to see what I needed to do, etc etc...

So basically I got a poor grade because my group finished my part for me, I was sick, and whenever I asked what they needed me to do, they'd tell me "we're good". I was rather livid about it, and when I confronted my group, they basically told me exactly what I just described.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 7:37:27 PM
At 11/28/2016 4:47:57 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

It's not so much that they think we'll accomplish more, it's more that we need to be able to work with other people because life skillz.
But they still suck.

That's right, it's all about being able to work with others, later in life you will be in situations where you will have to work on teams in an office or other environments and this prepares you for that, because everyone is different and you have to find ways to achieve a common goal with the group, it's frustrating and hard but this is part of life. Wait till you have the lesson on being diplomatic with someone who is really pissing you off but you have to be professional with them.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 7:41:57 PM

You need to notify your teacher/professor that this member hasn't contributed to any of the group efforts to complete the project. In most cases, and in my own experiences, the teacher will understand. You might need to pick up his slack though or at-least delegate his portion to other members of the group. Seriously though, don't be afraid of throwing him under the bus. It's pretty common with group projects and I'm sure this won't be the last time you'll have to deal with a situation like this while in school.

One time, while dealing with a similar situation, one guy didn't contribute anything and I let the teacher know this before we did our presentation (myself and the other members covered his portion with our own extra efforts). She made him remain seated while we gave our presentation and gave him an 'F' while myself and our group scored an 'A'. It sucks when you're stuck with extra work, but if you're good at delegating the group efforts you should be able to work through it without too much damage to your own grade.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 8:36:46 PM
At 11/28/2016 7:25:25 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I ranted about how I was in a 4-person group project last year. I'll divide the days into Week 1 and Week 2, project being due on Friday of Week 2. On Tuesday of Week 1, we were assigned group members, and worked on it some on Wednesday. By Friday, we've assigned tasks and "who's doing what". Now, I'd gotten maybe about half of my part done, and we were supposed to have it finished by Monday of Week 2. I was going on a campout that night, and wouldn't be back until Sunday afternoon, and I told my group this.

So I get back Sunday, only to find out someone in my group had decided that "I was taking too long" and finished my part for me. Okay, whatever.

Monday comes along, and I begin to ask "what can I do?" and the general response was either some *really* simple task, like "go get this from the printer" or "find a picture of a water bottle and send it to me", or "no, you're fine" and "we've got it".

Now, I'm sick for Tuesday and Wednesday of Week 2. I still got up and sent them emails, asking if they needed me to do anything from home. I got two responses:

So I go and find a picture of a map and send it to them. They don't use it and find something else.

Finally, due date shows up. Friday of Week 2. We turn in the finished project, and we have to do "group evaluation". I mentioned in mine that I went camping over the weekend and was sick, and also mentioned that, while I asked several times, my group never really gave me anything to do, and usually went ahead and finished what I could do before I finished it (for example, my weekend portion).

We get our grades back. We did fine on the project, but I did poorly compared to my group. Why? Because I "didn't finish my parts, and the group had to finish it for me", and "I just sat around and did nothing productive or very helpful". Along with that, my teacher told me that "being sick is not an excuse" and that I should've contacted my group members from home (which I did) to see what I needed to do, etc etc...

So basically I got a poor grade because my group finished my part for me, I was sick, and whenever I asked what they needed me to do, they'd tell me "we're good". I was rather livid about it, and when I confronted my group, they basically told me exactly what I just described.

That sucks. I mean, I can kind of understand where the group is coming from (I hate being on projects where people don't do stuff), but if you clearly told them when you would and wouldn't be able to do stuff, and did your best to still be helpful and do work, then, well, that's really dumb.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 8:39:45 PM
At 11/28/2016 7:37:27 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:
At 11/28/2016 4:47:57 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

But they still suck.

That's right, it's all about being able to work with others, later in life you will be in situations where you will have to work on teams in an office or other environments and this prepares you for that, because everyone is different and you have to find ways to achieve a common goal with the group, it's frustrating and hard but this is part of life. Wait till you have the lesson on being diplomatic with someone who is really pissing you off but you have to be professional with them.

Right. I understand why it's necessary, but it's still incredibly annoying. Oh, well.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 8:43:57 PM
At 11/28/2016 7:41:57 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

You need to notify your teacher/professor that this member hasn't contributed to any of the group efforts to complete the project. In most cases, and in my own experiences, the teacher will understand. You might need to pick up his slack though or at-least delegate his portion to other members of the group. Seriously though, don't be afraid of throwing him under the bus. It's pretty common with group projects and I'm sure this won't be the last time you'll have to deal with a situation like this while in school.

One time, while dealing with a similar situation, one guy didn't contribute anything and I let the teacher know this before we did our presentation (myself and the other members covered his portion with our own extra efforts). She made him remain seated while we gave our presentation and gave him an 'F' while myself and our group scored an 'A'. It sucks when you're stuck with extra work, but if you're good at delegating the group efforts you should be able to work through it without too much damage to your own grade.

I did talk to my teacher. The problem is, in this project, we're working with three people from another school and the kid who wasn't doing anything goes to the other school, so my teacher couldn't do that much. Fortunately though, the girls from the other school talked to their teacher and he finally did some work.

Also, your teacher sounds pretty awesome.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 8:46:50 PM
Finally he did stuff! He says he was with his family and away from internet most of Thanksgiving Break. Which I guess is understandable, but we, as a group, decided (several weeks ago) to be finished by last night. If he knew he was going to be away, he should've worked on it earlier.

But whatever. He's finally doing his part, so I guess I'm happy.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 11:30:43 PM

That sucks.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 12:39:18 AM
At 11/28/2016 11:30:43 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

That sucks.

tfw someone replies to your post two separate times to basically give the same message
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 1:22:47 AM
At 11/29/2016 12:39:18 AM, Vaarka wrote:

That sucks.

tfw someone replies to your post two separate times to basically give the same message

Sorry. I think I did it once on my computer and then again on my phone because I guess I forgot I did it or something.

what does tfw mean, anyway?
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 1:23:20 AM
At 11/29/2016 1:22:47 AM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

That sucks.

Sorry. I think I did it once on my computer and then again on my phone because I guess I forgot I did it or something.

"that feeling when"

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 1:23:47 AM
At 11/29/2016 12:52:03 AM, XLAV wrote:
People read emails?

considering gmail is about the only useful way to talk to people throughout my school, yes

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 1:24:04 AM
People read emails?

Everyone in our school except this one kid, I swear.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 1:24:24 AM
At 11/29/2016 1:23:47 AM, Vaarka wrote:
People read emails?

considering gmail is about the only useful way to talk to people throughout my school, yes

exactly
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 1:24:49 AM
At 11/29/2016 1:23:20 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/29/2016 1:22:47 AM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

That sucks.

"that feeling when"

ok