Jump to topic:

A new show on Netflix I'd recommend

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 8:21:32 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
If you have Netflix check out a show called "Oliver Stone's: Untold History of the United States". It's fascinating and well done.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 2:01:11 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/28/2016 8:21:32 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
If you have Netflix check out a show called "Oliver Stone's: Untold History of the United States". It's fascinating and well done.

What's it about? Is it like a documentary?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 7:11:32 PM
At 11/29/2016 2:01:11 PM, Vaarka wrote:

It is pretty similar to a documentary and was directed, produced, and narrated by Oliver Stone himself. It covers the reasons behind the Cold War with the Soviet Union, U.S. President Harry Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb on Japan, and changes in America's global role since the fall of Communism. The series is a reexamination of some of the under-reported and darkest parts of American modern history, using little-known documents and newly uncovered archival material. The series looks beyond official versions of events to the deeper causes and implications and explores how events from the past still have resonant themes for the present day.

Honestly it is one of the most informative shows I've seen in the last couple of months. If you have Netflix, definitely check it out.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 7:16:53 PM
At 11/29/2016 7:11:32 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

It is pretty similar to a documentary and was directed, produced, and narrated by Oliver Stone himself. It covers the reasons behind the Cold War with the Soviet Union, U.S. President Harry Truman's decision to drop the atomic bomb on Japan, and changes in America's global role since the fall of Communism. The series is a reexamination of some of the under-reported and darkest parts of American modern history, using little-known documents and newly uncovered archival material. The series looks beyond official versions of events to the deeper causes and implications and explores how events from the past still have resonant themes for the present day.
Does it have those "remade scenes" where they've got actors who play the parts of the characters of that time, so the viewer gets a better idea of what was "happening" (kinda like those shows on the history channel that would talk about American History, and they'd show an actor who was "helping blow a tunnel through a mountain for the railroad", and he lights the dynamite, and it doesn't go off, so he has to run back in and light it quickly and hope he doesn't die)?

Honestly it is one of the most informative shows I've seen in the last couple of months. If you have Netflix, definitely check it out.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 7:23:09 PM
At 11/29/2016 7:16:53 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Does it have those "remade scenes" where they've got actors who play the parts of the characters of that time, so the viewer gets a better idea of what was "happening" (kinda like those shows on the history channel that would talk about American History, and they'd show an actor who was "helping blow a tunnel through a mountain for the railroad", and he lights the dynamite, and it doesn't go off, so he has to run back in and light it quickly and hope he doesn't die)?

No, the series contains no interview subjects or remade scenes. Instead, each episode consists of archival material: stock film, photographs, video and audio recordings, computer generated maps and diagrams, clips from fictional movies, and Stone's voice-over narration. It also features historical quotations and writings from various figures that are read by voice actors.

However, another really good show on Netflix that *does* feature a documentary/live actor mix is called Roman Empire: Reign of Blood. That show covers the life of Commodus, the only son of Marcus Aurelius. I'd recommend that show as well.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 7:30:13 PM
At 11/29/2016 7:23:09 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 11/29/2016 7:16:53 PM, Vaarka wrote:

No, the series contains no interview subjects or remade scenes. Instead, each episode consists of archival material: stock film, photographs, video and audio recordings, computer generated maps and diagrams, clips from fictional movies, and Stone's voice-over narration. It also features historical quotations and writings from various figures that are read by voice actors.

However, another really good show on Netflix that *does* feature a documentary/live actor mix is called Roman Empire: Reign of Blood. That show covers the life of Commodus, the only son of Marcus Aurelius. I'd recommend that show as well.

Sweet