Jump to topic:

School makes me sad

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:21:22 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
I used to love school, but now I generally feel awful and stressed and lonely while I'm there.
Yesterday after coming home from school, I cried and hid under my kitchen table. The thought of doing homework made me want to throw things and cry some more. Today was better, but still not great.
Is this like a normal stressed-high-schooler kind of thing or should I be worried about my mental health?
So now I made a DDO thread about it. Maybe people will give me vague advice or impersonal comments about how I'm still a great person or something.
Obviously, you can quote me on that. I just said it. -Tony Stark
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 10:44:44 PM
At 11/29/2016 9:21:22 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:
I used to love school, but now I generally feel awful and stressed and lonely while I'm there.
Yesterday after coming home from school, I cried and hid under my kitchen table. The thought of doing homework made me want to throw things and cry some more. Today was better, but still not great.
Is this like a normal stressed-high-schooler kind of thing or should I be worried about my mental health?
So now I made a DDO thread about it. Maybe people will give me vague advice or impersonal comments about how I'm still a great person or something.

Now, depending on your schedule, it can be stressful, but I know I've never cried under the table over homework. Sure, I've gladly pushed it back and avoided it until the last minute before, but as long as you actually put a bit of focus into it, homework doesn't usually take that long.

I tend to find that after a long school day, I tend to feel more brain-dead, and therefore am more easily distracted, don't think as much, am less tolerant, and in general am more unhappy. However, in the morning, I'm pretty much the exact opposite (save for the easily distracted part).

If you need to, take a break after school instead of jumping right into homework. Go hang out with some friends, go for a jog, take a nap, play a game, read a book, etc... by then, you've had a little time to do your own stuff, be you for about an hour or two, and then afterwards you can settle down and do some homework.

Now, I'm speaking from a runner's perspective here, but whenever I get up early and run about 2-4 miles before school, I end up having a really positive attitude (probably from endorphines or something, plus I just ran a few miles comfortably and am happy about it).

School isn't fun in the whole "going to class and staring at the wall while mindlessly scribbling notes down on a sheet of paper" aspect, but don't you enjoy seeing your friends during lunch or in some of your classes?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 10:48:14 PM

Also just noticed this line (kinda skimmed it before)

Nah, I've seen enough people try to mod maps in osu to know that getting advice like that is unhelpful at best.

Modder: "Change this, and this. Remove this. Replace this with a slider. Change this"

Me: *ignores comment*

Modder: "Don't forget to give me some kudosu man"

Me: "Give me helpful advice and maybe I'll reconsider"

When I'm trying to give advice, I give what I'd want to see if I were asking it, which is actual answers and helpful advice.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 10:52:22 PM

For newcomers who were fairly sheltered, highschool can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. Crying and hiding under your kitchen table, and desiring to throw things because you're assigned homework, is a bit of an overreaction. You should try to find ways to relax yourself and eventually you'll get used to the motion and schedule.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 10:53:04 PM
At 11/29/2016 10:48:14 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Here's an example of "better modding advice" (as in, it's not the best, but it's actually helpful): https://osu.ppy.sh... (yes, it was me who made the post)

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:13:49 PM
At 11/29/2016 10:52:22 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

For newcomers who were fairly sheltered, highschool can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. Crying and hiding under your kitchen table, and desiring to throw things because you're assigned homework, is a bit of an overreaction.
I realize that. It was a very bad day.
You should try to find ways to relax yourself and eventually you'll get used to the motion and schedule.
I feel like I should be used to it by now though. It's been like three months. And I felt fine in school earlier this year. It's just been the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure what's up with me lately.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:14:33 PM

Dropping put helped me.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:15:28 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:13:49 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

For newcomers who were fairly sheltered, highschool can be a bit overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. Crying and hiding under your kitchen table, and desiring to throw things because you're assigned homework, is a bit of an overreaction.
You should try to find ways to relax yourself and eventually you'll get used to the motion and schedule.
I feel like I should be used to it by now though. It's been like three months. And I felt fine in school earlier this year. It's just been the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure what's up with me lately.

It's probably that you're nearing the end of the school year and stress is catching up with you.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:18:40 PM
At 11/29/2016 10:44:44 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Now, depending on your schedule, it can be stressful, but I know I've never cried under the table over homework. Sure, I've gladly pushed it back and avoided it until the last minute before, but as long as you actually put a bit of focus into it, homework doesn't usually take that long.

I tend to find that after a long school day, I tend to feel more brain-dead, and therefore am more easily distracted, don't think as much, am less tolerant, and in general am more unhappy. However, in the morning, I'm pretty much the exact opposite (save for the easily distracted part).
Same. I'm a little sloth-like when I first wake up, but I definitely think better in the morning. But I don't usually have that much time to do stuff in the morning.
If you need to, take a break after school instead of jumping right into homework. Go hang out with some friends, go for a jog, take a nap, play a game, read a book, etc... by then, you've had a little time to do your own stuff, be you for about an hour or two, and then afterwards you can settle down and do some homework.
I think that would be good. The danger in that is that I might not stop and then I'll get nothing done.
Now, I'm speaking from a runner's perspective here, but whenever I get up early and run about 2-4 miles before school, I end up having a really positive attitude (probably from endorphines or something, plus I just ran a few miles comfortably and am happy about it).
I'm not really a runner (and whhen I am, I'm a sprinter) but that sounds nice. I'd probably run like 1/2 a mile though, because reasons.
School isn't fun in the whole "going to class and staring at the wall while mindlessly scribbling notes down on a sheet of paper" aspect, but don't you enjoy seeing your friends during lunch or in some of your classes?
Lunch is okay, but I hate school cafeterias, so sometimes it just makes things worse.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:19:08 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:14:33 PM, Wylted wrote:

Dropping put helped me.

Not legal in my state.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:19:53 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:15:28 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/29/2016 11:13:49 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

It's probably that you're nearing the end of the school year and stress is catching up with you.

Not really nearing the end, but the stress thing is probably true.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:25:37 PM
At 11/29/2016 10:53:04 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Here's an example of "better modding advice" (as in, it's not the best, but it's actually helpful): https://osu.ppy.sh... (yes, it was me who made the post)

i love the picture :) I don't know enough about osu to fully understand all that, but it looked helpful.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:26:38 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:18:40 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

Same. I'm a little sloth-like when I first wake up, but I definitely think better in the morning. But I don't usually have that much time to do stuff in the morning.
Well everyone usually is slow at the start, but you're rested so it helps.
I think that would be good. The danger in that is that I might not stop and then I'll get nothing done.
Well then set a timer, or wait until sundown (usually only good between November and February for the sundown thing). Taking a break and exceeding your limit a little is much better than not doing so and getting yourself all stressed out.
I'm not really a runner (and whhen I am, I'm a sprinter) but that sounds nice. I'd probably run like 1/2 a mile though, because reasons.
Yeah, long distance ftw though :3
Lunch is okay, but I hate school cafeterias, so sometimes it just makes things worse.
Then don't think "yuck, I hate school cafeterias!" and think "yay, a time to eat some lunch and talk to my friends!"

And I'd definitely agree with what Peters said

Here, have a hug :3 *hug*

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:28:45 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:25:37 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:
At 11/29/2016 10:53:04 PM, Vaarka wrote:

i love the picture :) I don't know enough about osu to fully understand all that, but it looked helpful.

lol, it's a mapping thing, since the players are the ones who make the maps that everyone plays. Getting the map ranked (it gets a top 50 scoreboard and a gain system) is a bit of a task, especially for new mappers, so it's uh...

It's something

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:28:54 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:19:08 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

Dropping put helped me.

Not legal in my state.

Just get expelled than.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:31:36 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:26:38 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/29/2016 11:18:40 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

Well everyone usually is slow at the start, but you're rested so it helps.
Well then set a timer, or wait until sundown (usually only good between November and February for the sundown thing). Taking a break and exceeding your limit a little is much better than not doing so and getting yourself all stressed out.
Yeah. Works unless I ignore the timers (which I've done a couple times . . .) it is effective sometimes though.
Yeah, long distance ftw though :3
Then don't think "yuck, I hate school cafeterias!" and think "yay, a time to eat some lunch and talk to my friends!"
Meh. Doesn't change that they're loud and messy and very hateable.
And I'd definitely agree with what Peters said

Here, have a hug :3 *hug*
yay, hugs! *hug*
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:32:45 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:28:54 PM, Wylted wrote:

Dropping put helped me.

Not legal in my state.

Just get expelled than.

I think I'd have to go to another school or something . . . lol. I could be homeschooled again . . .
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:36:43 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:32:45 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

Dropping put helped me.

Not legal in my state.

Just get expelled than.

I think I'd have to go to another school or something . . . lol. I could be homeschooled again . . .

If you've been homeschooled within the past 3 years, I'd say that it may be an addon to your stress, especially if you were homeschooled for a long time, since you would be used to being at home, or in a smaller class, usually with a more leisurely homework time (I've never been homeschooled, so I'm not speaking from experience)

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:39:59 PM
At 11/29/2016 11:36:43 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/29/2016 11:32:45 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

Dropping put helped me.

Not legal in my state.

Just get expelled than.

If you've been homeschooled within the past 3 years, I'd say that it may be an addon to your stress, especially if you were homeschooled for a long time, since you would be used to being at home, or in a smaller class, usually with a more leisurely homework time (I've never been homeschooled, so I'm not speaking from experience)

Nah, it's been awhile since I was homeschooled. I started public school in fifth grade, and in general, it works pretty well for me. Sometimes I want to go back, but for the most part, public school is going pretty well for me. Until recently, at least.
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:57:58 PM
For the two people who will probably end up reading this, allow me to briefly rate the level of stress each class causes.

1.History: medium-high. There aren't too many homework assignments, but the ones that we do have are usually big, "Intellectually challenging" projects.
3. Algebra: low. In general, I understand what's going on in this class, there's not to much homework, and doing the homework actually makes me happy.
4. English: medium-low. We do too many presentations and recitations and stuff that make me nervous. Other than that, not bad.
Lunch (not a class, I know): medium. Cafeterias are loud and I don't like them. When I can eat lunch outside, it's usually fine. My friends are crazy, though.
5. PE: depends on the day. Usually not too bad. When we play sports and everyone on my team ignores me, then I get annoyed and it makes me more likely to feel bad in bio.
6. Biology: high. Like, I have cried through classes and almost had panic attacks because of this class high.
7. Spanish: Medium-low. The class isn't hard, and it's a subject I enjoy, but some of my classmates annoy me.
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:26:46 AM
At 11/29/2016 11:57:58 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:
For the two people who will probably end up reading this, allow me to briefly rate the level of stress each class causes.

1.History: medium-high. There aren't too many homework assignments, but the ones that we do have are usually big, "Intellectually challenging" projects.
3. Algebra: low. In general, I understand what's going on in this class, there's not to much homework, and doing the homework actually makes me happy.
4. English: medium-low. We do too many presentations and recitations and stuff that make me nervous. Other than that, not bad.
Lunch (not a class, I know): medium. Cafeterias are loud and I don't like them. When I can eat lunch outside, it's usually fine. My friends are crazy, though.
5. PE: depends on the day. Usually not too bad. When we play sports and everyone on my team ignores me, then I get annoyed and it makes me more likely to feel bad in bio.
6. Biology: high. Like, I have cried through classes and almost had panic attacks because of this class high.
7. Spanish: Medium-low. The class isn't hard, and it's a subject I enjoy, but some of my classmates annoy me.

Next year pick a fun class you're interested in addition to your "academic" classes. It reduces your workload and is a major stress reducer. I know I'd be a lot more stressed this year if I didn't have orchestra.
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:27:57 AM

Have you tried anxiety medication?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:39:55 AM
At 11/30/2016 12:26:46 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
At 11/29/2016 11:57:58 PM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

Next year pick a fun class you're interested in addition to your "academic" classes. It reduces your workload and is a major stress reducer. I know I'd be a lot more stressed this year if I didn't have orchestra.
It kind of depends on my schedule though. I didn't have space this tear and I'm not sure about next year. You can add a block to your day by getting up really early and going to PE at 6 AM, but I don't think that'll help.
Being in the school play, which had rehearsals after school, helped some, but it was also something else i had to put time and energy into
TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:41:08 AM
At 11/30/2016 12:27:57 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

No. As far as I know, I don't actually have anxiety. I'm more stressed than I should be, but not so bad that I need medication. I think.
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:45:03 AM

Have you tried anxiety meditation?

fix'd
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:57:45 AM

I would think it is stress. Although, it could be signs of anxiety.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 12:59:32 AM
At 11/30/2016 12:41:08 AM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

No. As far as I know, I don't actually have anxiety. I'm more stressed than I should be, but not so bad that I need medication. I think.

I don't think you need medication nor therapy.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:06:35 AM
At 11/30/2016 12:59:32 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

How do you know?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:07:58 AM
At 11/30/2016 1:06:35 AM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

How do you know?

This seems to be just negative affectivity brought on upon by stress. If this is unusual and not a reoccurring problem, chances are that's all there is. Anxiety disorders would see much worse results.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

TheGirlWithNoIdentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:10:23 AM
At 11/30/2016 1:07:58 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:06:35 AM, TheGirlWithNoIdentity wrote:

How do you know?

This seems to be just negative affectivity brought on upon by stress. If this is unusual and not a reoccurring problem, chances are that's all there is. Anxiety disorders would see much worse results.

Okay.