Jump to topic:

Thinking of Becoming an Actuary

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 3:45:56 PM
Posted: 1 day ago
I've been looking into various careers because, despite having a good job already, I have no idea what I really want to do with my life and this one seems truly perfect for me. Are there any actuaries here/anyone that has any advice or words of wisdom on this? I'd be going back to school to get my Bachelor's degree in Mathematics & Statistics at the local college, and taking about half a dozen actuarial exams, but honestly that sounds like a very enjoyable process. I love math homework. (Oh god, did I really just say that?) Seems like a job I'd really enjoy, though, and the pay is fantastic.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 3:49:37 PM
I'm currently studying to become an actuary. I have no illusions about it being any other than boring as sht though. The dude in Fight Club was an actuary before it drove him nuts. I plan on just making bucks then becoming a maths teacher for the holidays.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 3:49:53 PM
At 12/1/2016 3:45:56 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
I've been looking into various careers because, despite having a good job already, I have no idea what I really want to do with my life and this one seems truly perfect for me. Are there any actuaries here/anyone that has any advice or words of wisdom on this? I'd be going back to school to get my Bachelor's degree in Mathematics & Statistics at the local college, and taking about half a dozen actuarial exams, but honestly that sounds like a very enjoyable process. I love math homework. (Oh god, did I really just say that?) Seems like a job I'd really enjoy, though, and the pay is fantastic.

What's an actuary?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:00:41 PM
At 12/1/2016 3:49:37 PM, Devilry wrote:
I'm currently studying to become an actuary. I have no illusions about it being any other than boring as sht though. The dude in Fight Club was an actuary before it drove him nuts. I plan on just making bucks then becoming a maths teacher for the holidays.

Lol fair enough. I feel like everyone I talk to about this is like "oh god, that would drive me mad". I actually think it sounds like a lot of fun. What I love most about my current job is data and spreadsheets and math and telling people what to do based on said data and spreadsheets - which is basically the freaking job description of an actuary, as far as I can tell.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:05:48 PM
At 12/1/2016 3:49:53 PM, Vaarka wrote:

What's an actuary?

http://beanactuary.org... http://beanactuary.org... I think that explains it nicely, but basically actuaries use math to assess and manage risk. They tell the future with math! It's so cool!
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:07:29 PM
At 12/1/2016 4:05:48 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

What's an actuary?

http://beanactuary.org... http://beanactuary.org... I think that explains it nicely, but basically actuaries use math to assess and manage risk. They tell the future with math! It's so cool!

Ew, math... I think I'll stick with music and history...
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:10:12 PM
At 12/1/2016 4:00:41 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

Lol fair enough. I feel like everyone I talk to about this is like "oh god, that would drive me mad". I actually think it sounds like a lot of fun. What I love most about my current job is data and spreadsheets and math and telling people what to do based on said data and spreadsheets - which is basically the freaking job description of an actuary, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, more or less. It's 100% number crunching, though. Very little art to it or anything like that, unlikely you're going to take any fulfillment in the work itself.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:13:15 PM
At 12/1/2016 4:07:29 PM, Vaarka wrote:

What's an actuary?

That's basically what my sister said xD
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:15:31 PM
At 12/1/2016 4:13:15 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 12/1/2016 4:07:29 PM, Vaarka wrote:

What's an actuary?

That's basically what my sister said xD

Lol, math is fine when it's not super complicated. Unfortunately, stuff like Geometry doesn't fit with me

Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:16:04 PM
At 12/1/2016 4:10:12 PM, Devilry wrote:

Yeah, more or less. It's 100% number crunching, though. Very little art to it or anything like that, unlikely you're going to take any fulfillment in the work itself.

Different strokes for different folks. I love number crunching. It probably won't be rewarding in the same way my current job is, but that's totally okay with me because it has it's own benefits (I get to do the parts of this job I like the best!) and omg the salary.
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 4:18:39 PM
At 12/1/2016 4:16:04 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 12/1/2016 4:10:12 PM, Devilry wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. I love number crunching. It probably won't be rewarding in the same way my current job is, but that's totally okay with me because it has it's own benefits (I get to do the parts of this job I like the best!) and omg the salary.

Nobody loves number crunching. Not unless they have autism or something. :P

But good luck, maybe we'll work together some day or something :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 10:59:31 PM
At 12/1/2016 4:18:39 PM, Devilry wrote:
Nobody loves number crunching. Not unless they have autism or something. :P

But good luck, maybe we'll work together some day or something :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Hahahah no, I'm just naturally boring like that! It would be super cool if we did end up working together though :)