Jump to topic:

Looking for a job

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 3:29:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Okay, so my mother-in-law is now fortunate enough to be in the job hunt market. She has been freed from the constraints of a job and has the endless possibilities to find a new job. The problem is, she has no idea what she can do, and doesn't know enough about technology to do much good at hunting for a job (she just recently found out that not all internet is dial up).

Anyway, I'm trying to help in thinking of different things that she can do, but I'm drawing a blank. She is basically an old asian women, in a white body (4' 8" and 95 pounds...and getting smaller). She has spent the last 20 years doing on and off nanny work, as well as being a barn manager. However, over the last few years, her people skills have died (thus causing her to be freed from her current job) and so anything that needs customer relation is likely going to fail.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking an assembly line worker is something that she can do (she did it for Intel over 15 years ago), but I can't really think of much else.

Thanks for helping.

Oh, and if you want, get the snide comments out first and get them out of the way.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 4:04:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/4/2011 3:29:53 PM, OreEle wrote:
Okay, so my mother-in-law is now fortunate enough to be in the job hunt market. She has been freed from the constraints of a job and has the endless possibilities to find a new job. The problem is, she has no idea what she can do, and doesn't know enough about technology to do much good at hunting for a job (she just recently found out that not all internet is dial up).

Anyway, I'm trying to help in thinking of different things that she can do, but I'm drawing a blank. She is basically an old asian women, in a white body (4' 8" and 95 pounds...and getting smaller). She has spent the last 20 years doing on and off nanny work, as well as being a barn manager. However, over the last few years, her people skills have died (thus causing her to be freed from her current job) and so anything that needs customer relation is likely going to fail.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking an assembly line worker is something that she can do (she did it for Intel over 15 years ago), but I can't really think of much else.

Thanks for helping.

Oh, and if you want, get the snide comments out first and get them out of the way.

Well.

Your mother-in-law's age can and will work against her, modern companies are more likely to hire younger people in the lower tier positions, but are less likely to hire someone to a mid or high ranking job without previous business, contact or employment.

The first thing she needs to do is get some references, preferably from people who aren't going to move around too much. She needs two professional references minimum, and they have to be as recent as possible.

Next, if she hasn't bought a new suit in a while, she needs one. It's money well spent to look sharper than Sherlock Holmes when you're interviewed.

Next, there are plenty of office jobs that require literally zero people skills. There are always jobs as cleaners, administrators, the behind-the-scenes stuff that the customers and regional managers never see. People are less likely to care about her attitude and more likely to care about her ability to get the job done provided she can of course actually do it.

Additionally, working with the same people over and over may help to restore some of her people skills, it's amazing what a change in jobs can do to someone's perspective.

I would advise that if she has genuinely no people skills than something in telesales may be an option, sometimes the ability (or reflex) to completely bypass civility and manners can be useful in that field.

Failing that, she could always just throw her lot in with night staff somewhere. At least then she'd have an excuse to be not good with people.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?