interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:00:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Im just wondering about this. I mean, it is the 2nd most expensive holiday
in the world, second only to Christmas. It even beats out Halloween in
that category. I see red and I see white, too. And dont forget about the shades of pink. Now love is in the air. And cupids arrow will go into the hearts
of those who is willing to accept him. Are you in love ? What do you think
about it ? And do you like that wonderful holiday that we have come to know
as Valentines Day ?
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:04:03 AM
Tip #2 on yahoo's don't do's.

Do not tell your Girlfriend that the holiday is just a corporate plot to get your money.
kfc
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:14:05 AM
It's also S.A.D... "Singles Awareness Day".

Personally, I do not participate and will tell my boyfriend to not bother with such.... crap. I don't really like holidays to start with, and rarely participate in any of them, but Valentines day is by far one of the most annoying holidays. What's the point?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:14:58 AM
But come on you guys. This holiday is fun, especially if someone has a secret
crush on you. Or if you are a middle school child. As an adult, I like to think
of it as a time to reflect on where one is now in the current relationship.
It is a time of appreciation, and peace. You gotta love the way people go
about it though. Dressing up in red and white. Carrying teddy bears
around. Flowers, cards and candy. Ha, ha. For some it is a nightmare.
But to each his own. I love it. What about you.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:16:11 AM
At 2/10/2011 10:14:58 AM, interrogator wrote:
But come on you guys. This holiday is fun, especially if someone has a secret
crush on you. Or if you are a middle school child. As an adult, I like to think
of it as a time to reflect on where one is now in the current relationship.
It is a time of appreciation, and peace. You gotta love the way people go
about it though. Dressing up in red and white. Carrying teddy bears
around. Flowers, cards and candy. Ha, ha. For some it is a nightmare.
But to each his own. I love it. What about you.

This may sound cheap, but the only reasons I like valentines day is becuase of the 75% off sales the next day.
kfc
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:17:35 AM
Blech

At 2/10/2011 10:04:03 AM, Koopin wrote:

Do not tell your Girlfriend that the holiday is just a corporate plot to get your money.

but it is >.<
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:19:27 AM
At 2/10/2011 10:17:35 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
Blech

At 2/10/2011 10:04:03 AM, Koopin wrote:

but it is >.<

Just because you want to eat the burger doesn't mean you wanna meet the cow.
kfc
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:31:08 AM
One thing I resent about Christmas and birthdays is that you are socially pressured to feel obligated to give someone a present. I would much prefer buying my gf something randomly throughout the year and gifting her at opportune times when I saw something that reminded me of her and whatnot. These holiday traditions make the gift giving process so much less special because it's expected.

Same with Valentines Day and romance. If my gf took me out to a romantic dinner, bought me chocolate, wined and dined me, etc. today on February 10th then that would be incredibly sweet and meaningful. But on Valentines Day, it's just following protocol. I really don't need yet another stuffed bear in my life. The presents and actions exchanged on this day are so trite. Worst of all, I always feel there is a HUGE competition. Girls always compare what their boyfriend's did for them and it's more like a social statement than a genuine celebration of love. It's also such a divisive holiday where half the people are single/bitching about it so it's not even fun. Overall it's just retarded.

However... I've had some amazing Valentines Days in my past lol. And despite the BS, I'm still going to "celebrate" a little bit this year with my gf. I'm not a huge fan so we usually do something cute/small.
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 10:55:49 AM
^
Lwerd right on the money as usual.

>.>
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:21:04 AM
At 2/10/2011 11:20:04 AM, Koopin wrote:
At 2/10/2011 10:55:49 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
^

>.>

Ha ha, page fail!

WHY DOES IT HURT WHEN I PEE?

;_;
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:23:10 AM
At 2/10/2011 11:21:04 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
^

>.>

Ha ha, page fail!

;_;

WAT!?
kfc
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 11:48:20 AM
At 2/10/2011 11:21:04 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
^

>.>

Ha ha, page fail!

;_;

maybe you're holding it too tight?
signature
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 12:43:56 PM
At 2/10/2011 10:31:08 AM, theLwerd wrote:
One thing I resent about Christmas and birthdays is that you are socially pressured to feel obligated to give someone a present. I would much prefer buying my gf something randomly throughout the year and gifting her at opportune times when I saw something that reminded me of her and whatnot. These holiday traditions make the gift giving process so much less special because it's expected.

Same with Valentines Day and romance. If my gf took me out to a romantic dinner, bought me chocolate, wined and dined me, etc. today on February 10th then that would be incredibly sweet and meaningful. But on Valentines Day, it's just following protocol. I really don't need yet another stuffed bear in my life. The presents and actions exchanged on this day are so trite. Worst of all, I always feel there is a HUGE competition. Girls always compare what their boyfriend's did for them and it's more like a social statement than a genuine celebration of love. It's also such a divisive holiday where half the people are single/bitching about it so it's not even fun. Overall it's just retarded.

this exactly. lol. the furthest extent i will go to celebrate valentines day is to say "happy valentines day" just to prove that i haven't forgotten it entirely.

i've also noticed, somewhat anecdotally, that its the worst boyfriends/husbands that make the most effort on valentines day, as if that makes up for the whole year of being a sh*tty partner. its a certain kind of mentality... if i do xyz then the woman has to like me, screw everything else... now go make me a sandwich. ya know?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 12:51:45 PM
And do you like that wonderful holiday that we have come to know as Valentines Day?:

It's a horrible holiday.

In every month of the year, there is some national (and often international) holiday that requires you purchase sh*t you don't need. Go ahead, look on the calendar. Every single month has at least one day that the government grants as a holiday.

It's just a reason to generate revenue.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:41:22 PM
No, too many misunderstanding.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:50:23 PM
So what if holidays are arbitrary and artificial. Aren't you all nihilists anyway and believe nothing has inherent meaning? Holidays give a good excuse to just celebrate, have a good time, or do things differently than the usual day to day activities of everyday life.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 2:58:24 PM
I didn't know it was expensive. A heart of chocolates and a card or something is more expensive than a $100 costume, or all the money spent on thanksgiving dinner?

Anyway I'm pretty indifferent. I used to like it for the candy but when I started dating the candy stopped so I really don't care.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:23:33 PM
I honestly don't care about it that much, even being in a relationship this year for it. I don't really understand why there needs to be a special day to show that you love and care for somebody. Expressing your love for somebody is something you can do every day so it's just pointless to me. Oh well, I'll probably end up at least having a nice dinner that day or something.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:44:25 PM
At 2/10/2011 12:51:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
And do you like that wonderful holiday that we have come to know as Valentines Day?:

It's a horrible holiday.

In every month of the year, there is some national (and often international) holiday that requires you purchase sh*t you don't need. Go ahead, look on the calendar. Every single month has at least one day that the government grants as a holiday.

No there isn't. There are holidays that you can CHOOSE to celebrate, and you can CHOOSE to "purchase sh*t you don't need." Just like you can any day of the year. I have no requirement to go out with my wife on Monday, and we won't be going out. But we are going out the day after to take advantage of the discount prices on things that we already want to do, but are not required to do.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 3:56:18 PM
At 2/10/2011 3:45:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I'm flying out this saturday to see my bf(he's currently in New Jersey) so I think that alone will make v-day special for us.

Congrats
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:20:32 PM
At 2/10/2011 12:51:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

It's a horrible holiday.

March only has st. patrick's day which no one really cares about. Just time to pinch people, drink, maybe have a potato. And that comes from my mom who is proud to be all irish and stuff so I can honestly say its nbd.

April only has April fools day, which again nbd unless you are juvenile and like pranking people.

May has what? Cinco de mayo? W00t mexicans.

June- nbd

August- Is there anything?

September- Really? ANYTHING?

So most months have no big deal going on.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:21:39 PM
I'm flying out this saturday to see my bf(he's currently in New Jersey) so I think that alone will make v-day special for us.

Ewwww seriously?

Mik is shiiit...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:27:45 PM
I do not celebrate Valentines Day. My girlfriend and I celebrate relationship day which is two weeks after valentines day. This is typically when flowers are half off, restaurants are empty, and chocolates are cheap.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:29:04 PM
At 2/10/2011 4:21:39 PM, lovelife wrote:

Ewwww seriously?

Mik is shiiit...

stfu, we've been planning this for awhile.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 4:33:10 PM
At 2/10/2011 4:20:32 PM, lovelife wrote:
which again nbd unless you are juvenile and like pranking people.

Yes because pulling pranks is juvenile.

And watching cartoons is immature

And eating cereal is for kids

And telling jokes is childish

And having fun is naive
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2011 5:32:24 PM
At 2/10/2011 10:14:05 AM, annhasle wrote:
It's also S.A.D... "Singles Awareness Day".

Silly acronym. Single =/= sad <insert large amount of research>.