Jump to topic:

Visiting Ireland

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:25:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My class and I will visit Ireland for study purposes (for about five days) in October this year. It is something I look forward to quite a lot, especially because it is something that can be a special experience for my friends and myself. Now, every morning for the few days the class will visit certain places, e.g., the Google Headquarters in Dublin. Then we are allowed to go wherever we want for the rest of the day(s) with our chosen peers.

However, it would be a good thing if some Irishmen here could provide some information about the weather in Dublin in October, what kind of activities they would recommend during the day and night, what the prices are in restaurants for "teen food," and so forth. iPanda and Badger are Irish, so I hope they can help.

Thanks.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:28:57 PM
go-karting or paintballing are about the height all that's excitement around here besides pubs and night clubs.. and they're dear! about 50 euros for a few hours..
signature
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:29:38 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:27:19 PM, badger wrote:
to the pub!
Well, thanks but no thanks!

not much to do in ireland bud.. you'll fill yourself with food for ten euro.
That sounds great. Copenhagen is extremely expensive, so we would probably enjoy the low prices in Dublin. So, during the night, are there a lot of people in the downtown, or how is it?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:30:40 PM
cinema'll probably set you back 15 euro or so.. bowling would cost you about 5.. arcade games are a euro a pop.. what sort of stuff are you interested in?
signature
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:32:40 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:27:38 PM, badger wrote:
it'll probably be raining...
I could imagine. I hope it will be sunny for the most part, though.

How expensive is the transport, and how handy is it? And, shopping centers, are they near the downtown, and are they expensive (regarding clothes etc.)?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:32:45 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:29:38 PM, Mirza wrote:
to the pub!

That sounds great. Copenhagen is extremely expensive, so we would probably enjoy the low prices in Dublin. So, during the night, are there a lot of people in the downtown, or how is it?

the nightlife's pretty good right through the week in cities and college towns..usually just the weekend everywhere else.. everyone will be drunk though... i dunno if this is your type of country mirza
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:34:20 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:32:40 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/12/2011 2:27:38 PM, badger wrote:
it'll probably be raining...
I could imagine. I hope it will be sunny for the most part, though.

How expensive is the transport, and how handy is it? And, shopping centers, are they near the downtown, and are they expensive (regarding clothes etc.)?

yeah clothes are fairly expensive..internet will tell you how much so.. you'd have to ask panda about the shops if it's dublin you're going to.. haven't spent much time there..
signature
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:34:33 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:30:40 PM, badger wrote:
cinema'll probably set you back 15 euro or so.. bowling would cost you about 5.. arcade games are a euro a pop.. what sort of stuff are you interested in?
All those things sound nice. But 15 Euro for cinema? That sounds a bit expensive. Are there historical sites you recommend seeing?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:34:51 PM
to the pub!

Allah will send him to hell for that
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:35:42 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:34:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/12/2011 2:30:40 PM, badger wrote:
All those things sound nice. But 15 Euro for cinema? That sounds a bit expensive. Are there historical sites you recommend seeing?

well that'd be with your popcorn and a drink.. and big ones.. nah i couldn't recommend you any..
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:36:55 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:34:51 PM, askbob wrote:
to the pub!

Allah will send him to hell for that

yeah i know.. honestly mirza, all we really do for fun over here is drink..
signature
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:37:41 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:32:45 PM, badger wrote:
to the pub!

the nightlife's pretty good right through the week in cities and college towns..usually just the weekend everywhere else.. everyone will be drunk though... i dunno if this is your type of country mirza
Not a big problem since Danes are the most drunk. Well, two of my friends are from Iran and Iraq, but we are not surprised by seeing drunk people!
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:39:09 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:37:41 PM, Mirza wrote:
to the pub!

Not a big problem since Danes are the most drunk. Well, two of my friends are from Iran and Iraq, but we are not surprised by seeing drunk people!

we're also very cutting people.. expect to be insulted by random strangers...
signature
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:39:16 PM
Alright. I will see what we can plan. So, is the transport expensive, and how does it work with the tickets? Do you buy one ticket that can be used for trains and buses for e.g., one hour, and are there specific zones for specific tickets?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:39:26 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:39:09 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/12/2011 2:37:41 PM, Mirza wrote:
to the pub!

we're also very cutting people.. expect to be insulted by random strangers...

a lot!
signature
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:40:53 PM
I live in Dublin. I was told danish students visit Dublin for the purpose of studying, mainly history. Where will you be visiting?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:42:54 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:40:53 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I live in Dublin. I was told danish students visit Dublin for the purpose of studying, mainly history. Where will you be visiting?
Well, we could have chosen other cities, but the main teacher accepted an offer to Dublin, which is perfectly fine. We are the Communication/IT class, so we will focus on having something to do with that. However, history is a good topic for the schedule.

We will fly to Dublin, by the way. I am not sure where in the city, but probably near the downtown.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:43:12 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:39:16 PM, Mirza wrote:
Alright. I will see what we can plan. So, is the transport expensive, and how does it work with the tickets? Do you buy one ticket that can be used for trains and buses for e.g., one hour, and are there specific zones for specific tickets?

Let me inform you, the public transport system here is sh*t. There are two main "train" lines, one going along the cost and one going between parts of the city. There are buses but you do need to know where to go in terms of them. And I don't think such tickets exist for all public transport, sadly, though bus tickets will save you money and would be helpful.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:45:12 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:42:54 PM, Mirza wrote:
Well, we could have chosen other cities, but the main teacher accepted an offer to Dublin, which is perfectly fine. We are the Communication/IT class, so we will focus on having something to do with that. However, history is a good topic for the schedule.

We will fly to Dublin, by the way. I am not sure where in the city, but probably near the downtown.

Well, there are some tourist attractions in terms of history, mainly Kilmainham Jail (Good for Irish history in general), Kilbarrack Museum (Or something like that) , the GPO, and there are various guided tours too.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:49:09 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:43:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Let me inform you, the public transport system here is sh*t. There are two main "train" lines, one going along the cost and one going between parts of the city. There are buses but you do need to know where to go in terms of them. And I don't think such tickets exist for all public transport, sadly, though bus tickets will save you money and would be helpful.
Alright, good. How do the bus tickets work? In Copenhagen, there are areal "zones" where different ticket zones apply to them, and a normal ticket usually lasts for a bit over an hour. Is it like that in Dublin?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:52:13 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:45:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Well, there are some tourist attractions in terms of history, mainly Kilmainham Jail (Good for Irish history in general), Kilbarrack Museum (Or something like that) , the GPO, and there are various guided tours too.
That sounds good. I see on a site that Kilmainham Jail admission doesn't cost much, which is a bonus.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:53:09 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:49:09 PM, Mirza wrote:

Alright, good. How do the bus tickets work? In Copenhagen, there are areal "zones" where different ticket zones apply to them, and a normal ticket usually lasts for a bit over an hour. Is it like that in Dublin?

No, in Dublin if you buy the ticket on the bus it lasts until a certain stop on the bus. You can get tickets that last a week though. For more exact info. go here: http://www.dublinbus.ie...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:55:30 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:52:13 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 2/12/2011 2:45:12 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

That sounds good. I see on a site that Kilmainham Jail admission doesn't cost much, which is a bonus.

Yeah. I should be visiting there over Easter so I can fill you in on the good stuff to see.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2011 2:58:26 PM
At 2/12/2011 2:53:09 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 2/12/2011 2:49:09 PM, Mirza wrote:

No, in Dublin if you buy the ticket on the bus it lasts until a certain stop on the bus. You can get tickets that last a week though. For more exact info. go here: http://www.dublinbus.ie...
I see. I guess it should be fine with the transport. It's not too expensive either: http://www.dublinbus.ie...