annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:00:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 9:51:35 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
There has to be a single thing?

If you think there is more than one, then list them.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:05:24 PM
At 2/17/2011 10:02:04 PM, kbreezy wrote:
At 2/17/2011 9:49:26 PM, annhasle wrote:
Satisfaction.

Satisfaction? How so?

All actions ultimately come down to our self-interest. We do what will make us feel better. And that is to satisfy ourselves -- even though such satisfaction is idealistic. Can you imagine being satisfied with everything in your life? Kind of hard to imagine, really. But we still try.
kbreezy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:26:34 PM
At 2/17/2011 10:05:24 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 2/17/2011 10:02:04 PM, kbreezy wrote:
Satisfaction.

Satisfaction? How so?

All actions ultimately come down to our self-interest. We do what will make us feel better. And that is to satisfy ourselves -- even though such satisfaction is idealistic. Can you imagine being satisfied with everything in your life? Kind of hard to imagine, really. But we still try.

That's pretty insightful.
joshuaXlawyer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 10:32:37 PM
Nothing drives him the goal of life is nothing but searching for a purpose once they find that sense of purpose they make it a goal to reach and finally after that purpose is full filled they either find another one or die happy.
Objection!!!! thats baseless conjecture!!
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:23:16 PM
At 2/17/2011 9:45:36 PM, kbreezy wrote:
What drives man? Is it the will to survive? The will to power? Genuinely interested.

I don't think FN would say the will to power... I think he would say the drive to satisfy any of the baser instincts. IMO, Freud and FN cross paths here a bit.

I can dig thru my files and see if I have some of my old papers on FN if you wish...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:31:02 PM
At 2/17/2011 11:27:28 PM, nonentity wrote:
Umm he said we should be pursuing the 'ubermensch'--I'll let Ann translate that one :p

Lol, I'll try. There's no consensus really to what the term means since Nietzsche created it but "uber" means super and mensch means "a human man" so in literal terms, it would be "super-man" or "outside of the usual realm of human strength".

That's all I've got. :P
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:32:51 PM
At 2/17/2011 11:23:16 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
What drives man? Is it the will to survive? The will to power? Genuinely interested.

I don't think FN would say the will to power... I think he would say the drive to satisfy any of the baser instincts. IMO, Freud and FN cross paths here a bit.

I can dig thru my files and see if I have some of my old papers on FN if you wish...

The will to power comes about B/C you have instincts... because you have natural cares which come about..

You will Power to make the world how you would have it... you would have it a certain way b/c you care.

you care b/c of your nature... Your Animals.

the will to power results from the drive to satisfy those desires... so.. they're not really separate... you just realize that power would better get you what you want... so you want power.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:39:54 PM
Satisfaction.

I thought emotions are insignificant and hold no value to you?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:40:40 PM
"What is Good? All that enhances the feeling of power, the Will to Power, and the power itself in man. What is Bad?---All that proceeds from weakness. What is happiness?---the feeling that power is increasing---that resistance has been overcome.

Not contentment, but more power, not peace at any prce but war; not virtue, but competence (virtue in the Renaissance sense, virtue, free from moralistic acid). The first principle of our humanism: The weak and the failures shall perish. They ought even to be helped to perish.

What is more harmful than any vice?---Practical sympathy and pity for all the failures and the weak: Christianity. (Will to Power)"
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 11:46:50 PM
At 2/17/2011 11:39:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Satisfaction.

Lol, oh great -- this again. xD

Their apparent lack of value does not mean I disregard them as a whole. I'm still stuck with emotions -- even if I did disregard their existence. So, even though their value is close to worthless to me, I'll still strive to do what's in my self-interest because at least I'll, a) reap the rewards and b) enjoy the benefits. I don't have to value happiness to experience it -- or to strive for it. I just simply coast along, doing what serves me best and satisfies me. Because really -- why not?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 12:38:16 AM
The ubermensch was basically a confession of defeat by Nietzsche. "We need someone to get all cool and evolve past humans and make up a new moral code and s**t."

"You do it, ya syphilitic weakling."

"Nah, i'll just sit around writing about opera until my brain gets eaten. I can't even evolve past a chest injury"

One day I failed in attempting a smart spring into the saddle; I gave my chest a blow on the pommel and felt a sharp rend in my left side. But I quietly went on riding, and endured the increasing pain for a day and a half. On the evening of the second day, however, I had two fainting fits, and on the third day I lay as if nailed to my bed, suffering the most terrible agony and with a high temperature.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 6:24:42 AM
At 2/17/2011 11:46:50 PM, annhasle wrote:
Satisfaction.

Their apparent lack of value does not mean I disregard them as a whole. I'm still stuck with emotions -- even if I did disregard their existence. So, even though their value is close to worthless to me, I'll still strive to do what's in my self-interest because at least I'll, a) reap the rewards and b) enjoy the benefits. I don't have to value happiness to experience it -- or to strive for it. I just simply coast along, doing what serves me best and satisfies me. Because really -- why not?

Have you ever been in love?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 6:34:11 AM
At 2/17/2011 11:23:16 PM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

I'm fairly sure Nietschze considers the "baser" instincts to be secondary and derived from WTP.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 11:11:47 AM
At 2/18/2011 6:24:42 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/17/2011 11:46:50 PM, annhasle wrote:
Satisfaction.

Have you ever been in love?

No, but I've been close.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 11:22:44 AM
At 2/18/2011 6:35:19 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Satisfaction.

What if I can't get no satisfaction?:

Then I'd kindly remind you that satisfaction is the death of desire... and if you don't know that, then we are truly world's apart. ;)

(Emboldened = the album title, in case you were wondering the relevance)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 11:29:53 AM
At 2/18/2011 11:22:44 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Satisfaction.

Then I'd kindly remind you that satisfaction is the death of desire... and if you don't know that, then we are truly world's apart. ;)

WTF is this ear rape?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 11:34:34 AM
At 2/18/2011 11:29:53 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Satisfaction.

WTF is this ear rape?:

Blasphemer!!!!! Burn the witch!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 12:05:35 PM
Satisfaction.

+10 points for PARADIGM_LOST
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:09:42 PM

Also, the power of revenge XD
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:11:03 PM
At 2/18/2011 3:09:42 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Also, the power of revenge XD

I don't recall Nietzsche saying this...

he was generally against such petty hang-ups.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 12:30:12 PM
Nietzsche believed a general will to power. The will to power he claimed, was supported by various auxiliary wills. Schopenhauer was a contempory of Nietzsche. The will to power this just Nietzsche's evolution of Schhopenhauer's will to life, though Nietzsche thought that the will to power was the greater set that thee will to life belonged to. He believed that people wish to live only so that they can achieve greater status. I can understand why in the 19th century austerity he world would think that way but that was only since the world was a much grimer place, at a time of prosperity people who are prosperous will stop needing to ascend for ascension isn't required for one to achieve their interests, when one is poor however, they would stop at nothing to self actualise.

Think of it like in a video game. If you've bet to story and hit the maximum level do you really want to reach the maximum experience level(ignoring people with OCD this is)?

Anyway, what drives people? Their own silly personal interests.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 12:51:03 PM
Not so much Nietzsche, but what drives man is Power, Sex, Material Acquisition, Security, Legacy. This is according to the book of innomen.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 1:18:31 PM
At 2/19/2011 12:51:03 PM, innomen wrote:
Not so much Nietzsche, but what drives man is
Power,

No.

Sex,

Yes.

Material Acquisition,

Sometimes.

Security,

Yes.

Legacy.

No.

This is according to the book of innomen.

Well, I think you're way off. Are you personally driven by power? Do you truly care about legacy that much? In fact, are you even driven by material acquisition?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat