Jump to topic:

Quotes and clever quips

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 4:10:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Post them here... This is the one thread where you won't be blasted for quote mining or quote bombing

"Liberals want the government to be your Mommy. Conservatives want government to be your Daddy. Libertarians want it to treat you like an adult." – Andre Marrou
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:00:53 PM
"I see that you have made three spelling mistakes."
- Thomas de Mahay (upon reading his death sentence)

""Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun."
William Phillips, British Army Officer

"I am the Roman Emperor, and am above grammar."
- Emperor Sigismund

"Rule One, Page One in the Book of War - Do not march onto Moscow"
"Rule Two, Do not go fighting with your land armies in China". It is a vast country, with no clearly defined objectives."
- Bernard Montgomery

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch"
"In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes"
-Benjamin Franklin

"None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but license"
-John Milton

"War is peace. Freedon is slavery. Ignorance is strength"
-George Orwell

"In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so"
-Immanuel Kant
'sup DDO -- july 2013
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:06:48 PM
"The Human race will begin solving its problems the day it ceases taking itself so seriously."
~ Malaclypse the Younger

‎"No one rules if no one obeys"
~ TaoDo

‎"Great men are almost always bad men."
~ Lord Acton

"To diverse gods
Do mortals bow;
Holy Cow, and
Wholly Chao."
~ Malaclypse the Younger

"Question with boldness the very existence of God, for surely if there is a God he would prefer the homage of reason of that of blind-folded fear."
~Thomas Jefferson

"The highest form of self awareness is realizing you're just a character in someone else's dream"
~ From the movie Waking Life

"Whoever they vote for, I am ungovernable"
~ anonymous

"If you would not be forgotten,
As soon as you are dead and rotten,
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth writing."
~ Benjamin Franklin

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
~ Albert Einstein

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
~ Albert Einstein

"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education.
~ Mark Twain

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
~ Albert Einstein

"Disobedience, in the eyes of anyone who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion."
~ Oscar Wilde

‎" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof. "
~ V

"Let me say, at the risk of seeming ridiculous, that the true revolutionary is guided by great feelings of love."
~ Che Guevara

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men"
~ Willy Wonka
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 4:00:06 PM
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."
-Gandhi

"The middle course is the best."
-Cleobulus

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read."
-Mark Twain
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 4:50:37 PM
At 2/21/2011 4:46:59 PM, Grape wrote:
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 4:52:39 PM
http://artoftrolling.files.wordpress.com...
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:48:21 AM
At 2/19/2011 4:10:51 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Post them here... This is the one thread where you won't be blasted for quote mining or quote bombing

"Liberals want the government to be your Mommy. Conservatives want government to be your Daddy. Libertarians want it to treat you like an adult." – Andre Marrou

That was actually a pretty cool quote.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 7:28:07 AM
There was a British lawyer/politican named F.E. Smith that had a lot of good ones (I guess they are original to him, the contempt of court one has been often repeated). These are all seperate instances and not one common dialogue.

Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Judge: Have you ever heard of a saying by Bacon — the great Bacon — that youth and discretion are ill-wedded companions?
Smith: Yes, I have. And have you ever heard of a saying of Bacon — the great Bacon — that a much-talking judge is like an ill-tuned cymbal?

Smith (to witness): So, you were as drunk as a judge?
Judge (interjecting): You mean as drunk as a lord?
Smith: Yes, My Lord.

Master of the Rolls: Really, Mr Smith, do give this Court credit for some little intelligence.
Smith: That is the mistake I made in the Court below, My Lord.

In Court, as a young barrister
Judge: I have read your case, Mr Smith, and I am no wiser now than I was when I started.
Smith: Possibly not, My Lord, but much better informed.

And about Winston Churchill:
"He has devoted the best years of his life to preparing his impromptu speeches."
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 8:29:46 AM
"Money can't buy life" - Bob Marley

"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."..."Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." -Jesus

"All wrongdoing arises because of the mind. If the mind is transformed, can wrongdoing remain?"..."Better than a thousand hollow words, is one that brings peace" - Buddha
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 3:40:53 PM
At 2/19/2011 4:10:51 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

"think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people"
"all empty souls tend towards extreme opinions"...William Butler Yeats

"common sense aint that all common"
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 10:58:59 AM
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:19:34 AM
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." - Winnie the Pooh's Creator A. A. Milne
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 8:26:25 PM
In politics the middle way is none at all.
John Adams

The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.
Thomas Paine

Finish last in your league and they call you idiot. Finish last in medical school and they call you doctor
Abe Lemons

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
Dave Barry

I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Coach, I don't know and I don't care.
Frank Layden

When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are past; I want that they should bury me upside down, so my critics can kiss my a$s.
Bobby Knight
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 11:21:49 PM
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, the wise as false and by rulers as useful. -Seneca
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 3:57:51 AM
Here are some theological Christian quotes.

"Christianity founds hospitals and atheists are cured in them, never knowing that they owe their cure to Christ." - William Temple

"With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another." - George Christopher Lichtenberg

"Christian theology can fit in science, art, morality, and the sub-Christian religious. The scientific point of view cannot fit any of these things, not even science itself." - C.S. Lewis

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." - G.K. Chesterton

"Faith doesn't wait until it understands; in that case it wouldn't be faith." - Enrich Fromm

"The lost enjoy forever the horrible freedom they have demanded." - C.S. Lewis

"Every path that leads to heaven is trodden by willing feet. No one is ever driven to paradise." - Howard Crosby

"Expect great things from God. Attempt great things for God." - William Carey

"Faith cannot be inherited or gained by being baptized into a Church. Faith is a matter between the individual and God." - Martin Luther

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - Thomas Aquinas

"Science has itself become a kind of religion." - Carl Sagan

"Before faith comes, reason is king. After faith comes, reason is servant." - Danielg.

"A man may be theologically knowing and spiritually ignorant." - Steven Charnock

"Many who plan to seek God at the eleventh hour die at 10:30." - Author Unknown
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 4:36:55 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
Erich Fromm and Carl Sagan? Both were Atheists, lol.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 4:48:57 AM
At 2/28/2011 4:36:55 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^
Erich Fromm and Carl Sagan? Both were Atheists, lol.

I knew Carl Sagan was, but not Erich Fromm.

Anyway, a quote; "Physical beauty is like a well sculptured piece of wood, it's well crafted from the out side, but within, it is hollow."
GodSands
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 7:45:47 PM
Here is one that is actually quite encouraging for believers in Christ which I thought up.

"For God, your sin has lost it's meaning due to the death of His Son, Jesus Christ. And therefore sin to God is like having your finger bitten by a caged creature of small stature, drained of it's poisonous bite."