Jump to topic:

Philosophy Videos On Youtube?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 8:24:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why are philosophy videos on Youtube so scarce?? I have come across only a very few! Does anyone have any links to some good Youtube channels with philosophical material?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:16:07 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:14:09 PM, Danielle wrote:
Just go to TED instead.

I have, though I generally only see science and psychology. Got any recommended videos?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:26:50 PM
Just go to TED instead.

Or read a book. Preferably one by somebody other than David Icke or Michael Tsarion, aka, "The Kirk Cameron and Kent Hovind of philosophy."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:32:03 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:16:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just go to TED instead.

I have, though I generally only see science...

That's all that matters ;D
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:34:35 PM
I don't have any videos off the top of my head that I can think of. Most (even philosophy-ish) that I've seen are from TED. I've also come across some good God debates on YouTube. I'm sure if you type a topic into the search bar, a bunch of videos will show up (but who knows the quality :/ ). You can probably even look up some lectures. Try typing some well-known names in maybe?
President of DDO
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:37:05 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:32:03 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/26/2011 10:16:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Just go to TED instead.

I have, though I generally only see science...

That's all that matters ;D

That's debatable. ^_^
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:38:14 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:26:50 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Just go to TED instead.

Or read a book.

I already own several:

Basic Writings of Martin Heidegger
(which includes Being and Time, What Is Metaphysics?, Letter On Humanism, and The End of Philosophy)

The Book, by British philosopher Alan Watts

The Pocket Krishnamurti

Preferably one by somebody other than David Icke or Michael Tsarion, aka, "The Kirk Cameron and Kent Hovind of philosophy."

Admittedly, David Icke is not that philosophically inclined, however, Michael Tsarion is certainly more philosophically inclined than you and would probably own you in a debate. That goes for anyone else here, or perhaps even any contemporaries in the West.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:40:17 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:34:35 PM, Danielle wrote:
I've also come across some good God debates on YouTube. I'm sure if you type a topic into the search bar, a bunch of videos will show up (but who knows the quality :/ ).

Yes, Theism vs. Atheism is ubiquitous on Youtube, but that's not what I'm looking for.

You can probably even look up some lectures. Try typing some well-known names in maybe?

Yeah, I've done that. Still not very much.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:40:46 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:38:14 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Admittedly, David Icke is not that philosophically inclined, however, Michael Tsarion is certainly more philosophically inclined than you and would probably own you in a debate. That goes for anyone else here, or perhaps even any contemporaries in the West.

Michael Tsarion belongs in a mental institution. Plus, most philosophers suck at debating, in case you've never seen Bill Craig tear many a respected academic to shreds.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:43:08 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:26:50 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Or read a book.

I already own several:

Basic Writings of Martin Heidegger
(which includes Being and Time, What Is Metaphysics?, Letter On Humanism, and The End of Philosophy)

The Book, by British philosopher Alan Watts

The Pocket Krishnamurti

And let me add as well:

The Secret Teachings of All Ages, by Manly P. Hall (it actually gives a very detailed history of philosophy and describes the philosophy of all the major philosophers)

The Way of Zen, by Alan Watts (despite being a book on a religion, it is primarily filled with content of philosophical value, especially given that it's written by a philosopher.)
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 10:48:19 PM
At 2/26/2011 10:40:46 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Michael Tsarion belongs in a mental institution.

See, what you're doing here is discrediting his philosophical prowess based on what you know about his alien theories. What's the name of that fallacy again? Yeah, I think you know.

What philosophical works of his have you read, watched, or listened to, to make such a scathing criticism of? I'm guessing none.

Plus, most philosophers suck at debating, in case you've never seen Bill Craig tear many a respected academic to shreds.

I have seen him debate before as well as participate in discussions. He's got great rhetorical abilities, that is for sure.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 2:08:31 AM
At 2/26/2011 8:24:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Why are philosophy videos on Youtube so scarce??

People who frequent Youtube have an attention span too short to...

wait, what was the question?
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins